PDA

View Full Version : Brand New Engine Burning Oil

Wizard29
06-14-2007, 09:19 PM
Damn it!
Took my 70 Monte Carlo to Engine Dynamics today to have the brand new 8-71 blown 632 tuned and dialed in.
After almost all the work is done, we fire it up and it is spewing blue smoke from the exhaust. Not just a little. Enough to make a cloud and to indicate it is obviously burning oil.
WTF?
I've had the engine running for short periods of time before. The timing was very close to where it needed to be during these times, but the carbs had not been jetted or adjusted. The engine never saw more than 2500-3000 RPM before today.
When I went to start the engine the very first couple of times, I got a couple of pretty nice backfires. We're thinking that possibly one of those backfires wiped out the intake manifold gasket and is allowing oil into a cylinder. I hope that's it, otherwise it is something in the heads, rings not sealing, or????
A compression and leakdown test will be performed tomorrow. If those check out, the blower and manifold will come off.
I'm trying to think of other causes for this problem. Any thoughts?

CARLSON-JET
06-14-2007, 09:59 PM
An 8-71 blown 632 In a 70 Monte... Nice... :) I Guess you will get to check the plugs during leakdown testing. Good luck with finding the issue.. It sounds like a fun project.. Not alot of the 70's around these days.

Paul128a
06-15-2007, 03:19 AM
Just my two cents, but since the engine is brand new, the piston rings might not have properly seated yet.
I am saying you might need to break-in the engine with a bit of load and run it up and down the rpm range to get things properly seated. It would be wise to retorque the heads after 10hours too!

gn7
06-15-2007, 05:41 AM
all the break in time in the world ain't gunna help it if it is blowing that much blue smoke. my two cents says some one jacked an oil ring putting it together, and didn't get the expander and rails set right in the groove. seen it more than once.

GofastRacer
06-15-2007, 06:09 AM
Yep very easy to do, been there done that!..:mad: :mad:

steelcomp
06-15-2007, 06:16 AM
I agree. Either that, or you've got a second ring in upside down.

2forcefull
06-15-2007, 06:41 AM
I'd change the oil!!!, running blower motors not jetted right can wash the rings putting a lot of gas in the oil.
then I'd run the motor at 2000 rpms for a while.
if the smoke clears up its not the rings,
if it has steady smoke it's the rings
hey gofast, awhile back we were talk'n about old race cars,
just came across this picture of one of my old diggers
it's a CCE chassis with a full hanna body
runn'n a 510 tall teck on alky/glide trans
run a best of 7:80 180 mph, not that fast
now days, but what a blast to drive

Wizard29
06-15-2007, 10:27 PM
The shop is convinced something is seriously wrong internally. His opinion is that the oil rings are in upside-down. Took the car back to the house today and am taking the engine back out to send to the builder for repairs.
Got the exhaust off and I have oil in all eight exhaust ports. Oil on all eight spark plugs. Damn it. :mad:
I bet the damn engine builder put all of the oil rings in wrong. He is being very cooperative so far and said to bring it back to him and he will do everything he can.
Anything else anybody can think of that would cause oil consumption by ALL eight cylinders?

dc96819
06-16-2007, 12:34 AM
The shop is convinced something is seriously wrong internally. His opinion is that the oil rings are in upside-down. Took the car back to the house today and am taking the engine back out to send to the builder for repairs.
Got the exhaust off and I have oil in all eight exhaust ports. Oil on all eight spark plugs. Damn it. :mad:
I bet the damn engine builder put all of the oil rings in wrong. He is being very cooperative so far and said to bring it back to him and he will do everything he can.
Anything else anybody can think of that would cause oil consumption by ALL eight cylinders?
Thats odd he would make a mistake like that.
Let us know the outcome.
Post some picts of that car:)

GofastRacer
06-16-2007, 05:26 AM
hey gofast, awhile back we were talk'n about old race cars,
just came across this picture of one of my old diggers
it's a CCE chassis with a full hanna body
runn'n a 510 tall teck on alky/glide trans
run a best of 7:80 180 mph, not that fast
now days, but what a blast to drive
Cool car, had a couple of budies that had those and they loved them, easier to drive than an altered too, LOL..

MACHINEHEAD
06-16-2007, 05:41 AM
I'd bet there is still a decent amount of vacuum in the intake port with a 8-71 on a 632. Especialy with no load at 2,3 or even 4000 rpm. I would take a look at the valve stem seals. A major build like this usually takes some time and I'd bet the heads have been sittin around for a while. Replacement is pretty easy compared to the other horrors. If this is the case, old crusty seals, they need to be replaced anyway. Besides, it will make you feel like you found the problem and take your mind off of the rings!

Wizard29
06-16-2007, 02:34 PM
Engine is out and is going back to the builder on Monday. We'll see what they say.
I'm so pissed I had to pull the engine out. Show cars don't like that. :mad:

MACHINEHEAD
06-16-2007, 10:14 PM
Keep us posted. Very curious

blowngas
06-20-2007, 09:20 AM
the oil rings are in upside-down.
that's one I don't think I've ever heard of!!!!
take a look at the valve stem seals
most logical, think I'd look at that first-----easier to check and fix than pulling motor back out

Wizard29
06-25-2007, 08:46 AM
Update:
The engine is torn down and at the builder.
Apparently the builder used some intake manifold gaskets that weren't supposed to be for that application or they installed the intake manifold crooked.
Whatever the case, when the engine sneezed during distributor dial-in, it completely obliterated the intake manifold gaskets and caused the cylinders to draw oil in from the valley. The builder is redoing just about everything and we will run the engine on his dyno on Friday of this week to be sure everything is as it should be before it goes back into the car...