PDA

View Full Version : Holley bizarreness- longwinded

roostwear
02-13-2006, 08:52 PM
I have a strange problem that just started yesterday out of the blue. It's on my '68 with a 390 and has a converted Holley 4150 with cathedral bowls. It's been running great for years (although it only has 459 miles in 8 years). I've been driving for the last week with no problems until last night. Fired it up and it ran normally for about 3 seconds then died. I popped the hood, and found fuel EVERYWHERE. I cleaned it up and cranked it again watch the carb and found a column of fuel 2-3 inches high coming out the primary bowl vent. I have put 3 different needles in, replaced the float (brass float was filled...???), disassembled the fuel pump (carter 120gph suiper street) and found no problem with the pump. Hooked a fuel gauge to the oulet of the pump and cranked it..... 7 psi max. All the time, I'm dropping the needle assembly lower and cranking and it's still spewing. I've run 4150s and 4160s for years at 7 psi and never had a problem. It's on the high end, but it shouldn't be doing this. There's only 2 ways fuel get's into that bowl....by the needle, or past the o-ring. I took the needle assembly out and threaded it into an old spare bowl, and there feels like a WHOLE LOT more compression on the o-ring in the spare bowl than the other.
I guess my question is.... has anyone ever "worn out" a bowl? The really perplexing part is, I can't remember the last time I touched the needle assembly... it's been that long, and it just starts doing this. The bore for the needle o-ring looks perfect, too... no corrosion, ridges, nothing. I'll be replacing the bowl, float gaskets and needle assembly, but I find it hard to beleive it's worn out.

obnoxious001
02-13-2006, 09:00 PM
An old trick to check the needle and seat with the bowl off is to blow into the fuel inlet gently, but firmly enough to feel if you can stop the flow using the float. I always set the floats with a drill bit before bolting them onto the carb as well, whenever possible.

roostwear
02-13-2006, 09:35 PM
That's how I've checked the needles for 30 years and it never failed me... until now. Seals fine off the carb. I can't beleive I have to put a regulator on it to drop it from 7psi either. This is driving me crazy......

1978 Rogers
02-15-2006, 08:46 AM
All I can think of is, maybe the tab on the float that the needle presses against is bent down. But, if you checked the float with the bowl off, this might not be the case. The whole principle on regulating the amount of fuel in the bowls is pretty simple. But if it spews out, it must not be seating the needle. Thats a read head scratcher.

wsuwrhr
02-15-2006, 04:29 PM
Bad float?
Maybe it isn't floating anymore.
Oops, saw you did that.
Maybe a peice of jiz is trying to get past the needle and making it stick open?
Brian

obnoxious001
02-15-2006, 05:02 PM
He said he tried 3 needles,, but did the seat get changed as well? I know the old ones you could pull just the needle out?

wsuwrhr
02-15-2006, 05:11 PM
Maybe the problem is what the carb is bolted to.....
Probably would work fine on a Dodge.
Brian

roostwear
02-15-2006, 05:18 PM
They're needle and seat assemblies, and I put 4 different ones in. Reassembled it AGAIN last night with the original bowl and yet ANOTHER needle assy, and it's not puking now. :D I'm still tearing it down again and replacing everything, though.
You just HAD to make the Ford comment, didn't ya? this from someone with a DODGE motorhome. Fastest ride ya got, isn't it? :argue:

fc-pilot
02-15-2006, 07:03 PM
Reassembled it AGAIN last night with the original bowl and yet ANOTHER needle assy, and it's not puking now.
Sounds like a woman. Nothing in the world will fix them one day and the next day just decide to fix themselves.
Paul

Fiat48
02-15-2006, 07:18 PM
I always had that trouble with the drag boat when I ran carbs. Might go through several needles and seats (brand new) to get some that would seal.
Last time it did that was on the holding rope and I beat the shit out of the carbs with my paddle. Made the run...and went to injection.
Still got the paddle.

wsuwrhr
02-15-2006, 07:21 PM
You just HAD to make the Ford comment, didn't ya? this from someone with a DODGE motorhome. Fastest ride ya got, isn't it? :argue:
That Dodge motorhome runs pretty good, and it ain't the fastest pal. haha
Brian

GofastRacer
02-15-2006, 07:21 PM
Sounds like a woman. Nothing in the world will fix them one day and the next day just decide to fix themselves.
Paul
But we know the simple fix to this don't we!.. :D :D