PDA

View Full Version : Jet vs. Prop???

J-440
06-15-2007, 10:57 AM
I was thinking about puting a little something together for the river and needed a some input. I hear jets suck........a lot of water, ect...
Any thoughts??

76ANTHONY
06-15-2007, 11:01 AM
jets are great for shallow water, and they make a badazz rooster:D

J-440
06-15-2007, 11:09 AM
Roost is cool, but props are faster aren't they????

21TUNL
06-15-2007, 11:19 AM
And so it begins.....

Beer-30
06-15-2007, 11:27 AM
I can't say for bottom or top end. Dunno. But, if you watch any boat testing, jets are always at the bottom of the cruise efficiency.
Most all other boats of similar size, say 21', with big-block and Bravo = 53-38 mph at 4000 rpm. Depending on the make and hull style.
Similar 21' with big-block and jet = 38-40 mph at 4000 rpm.

Sleeper CP
06-15-2007, 11:51 AM
Look J-440,
My first question is are you really looking for a boat or are you just some "Prop Guy" trying to start some crap here?
If you are looking for a boat take some of the following things into consideration: Where do you plan on boating? Is the water deep or shallow? Do you have to worry about rocks,stumps,sandbars, etc, etc?
I can start water sking from my jet in 30"(2 1/2 ft) of water and clear a sand bar on plane in 18" or less of water. You wont do that with a V-drive or IO. But on the other hand if I put my engine in a v-drive(flatty) it could push it to 140+ or a hydro to 165+, or a 20-21 foot rec boat like a Stoker or a Cole it could probably do 120+ with the right drive, but I choose to run it in a 8 passenger family ski Jet boat that only does 103.
Figuire out where you'll take it and what you want to do with it. It will help you decide what power system is right for you.
But, I think I smell a skunk here;)

Sleeper CP
06-15-2007, 11:56 AM
And so it begins.....
Nice post... a true statement indeed.

Amm
06-15-2007, 11:56 AM
I would consider myself an amatuer at jet boating, but the following seems to be the truth.
Jets are simpler.
- You get what feels like power steering without the complexity.
- A VERY reliable water pump is a huge bonus
- Engine can be level and facing frontwards
- no raising or lowering the engine complexity
Jets are safer in all respects except one, when you lose power you lose steering.
- power steering on outboards and sterndrives negate this disadvantage.
- props are SHARP
- being able to reverse towards someone in the water is very nice thing.
Jets are considerably less money
- This is especially true over the 600 hp mark.
So when saying that props are faster, that is not necessarily true. There are many on this forum who can make over 600hp in an engine for a reasonable amount of money. There are far less that can afford a Merc #6 drive and the maintenance required for it.

Slacker
06-15-2007, 12:07 PM
Both boats can run fast, just have to figure out how much money you want to throw at it! I have seen both run 80 to 100+, just depends

J-440
06-15-2007, 12:23 PM
Although it is fun to "stir the pot", this is a legit question. :) I've ridden in both and yes both can be fast.
I've seen guys throw a lot of money (aka power) at a pump boat and had nothing but problems.
If you want to haul ass and be reliable don't you have to have your pump worked? Don't get me wrong, a good v-drive is not cheap either but from what I've seen they seem to be less trouble once you're set up. Time and time again I see guys working on thier pumps and motors. They seem to be particular....I'm a bit confused.
I'd rather just work on the motor and not have to worry about the rest.
I guess it's all money either way you look at it. I just want to have fun without spending my life's savings!!!

bp
06-15-2007, 12:37 PM
a friend of mine has a 68 sanger flatty lake boat that he's been working on since 70, and it still isn't "right".
briefly, yes a pump needs to be built to at least handle the horsepower that will be applied to it, to be completely reliable. just a -good- vdrive, shaft, strut, prop, not to mention rudder, will cost more than a stage III blueprinted jet.
usually, jet guys are working on their computers, not their engines/pumps... :devil:

76ANTHONY
06-15-2007, 12:48 PM
i like my jet because throwin it in rev is almost like having brakes, and i can do it at any speed, well below 10mph safely. i feel more safe in it just for that fact, wouldnt wanna crush any lake lice:D

CPBRIAN10THMTN
06-15-2007, 01:01 PM
I only read the title of this post and knew right away where this one was gonna go........... there are a ton of posts on here about the same damn thing. Now i'm gonna get a beer and sit back and watch this ensue cuz its hilarious to read.:boxingguy :D

Paul128a
06-15-2007, 01:04 PM
Im a jetski guy and I believe jets are a lot more fun, especially if you pull stuff, as they really haul ass on take off. Its a lot safer too, no danger of chewing up your skiier.
As for top-end, I feel props run faster for the same hull with less horsepower. But you cant play around and do spins with a prop, especially in shallow water.
I enjoy jets especially since I like exploring shallow parts, and, depending on your hull, you could idle a jet around tight places with a foot of water.
Im not into arguing, so it all depends on your boating preference. My 21 footer's got a 350 and an outdrive, all my other toys are jets! :)

Devilman
06-15-2007, 01:06 PM
Although it is fun to "stir the pot", this is a legit question. :) I've ridden in both and yes both can be fast.
I've seen guys throw a lot of money (aka power) at a pump boat and had nothing but problems.
If you want to haul ass and be reliable don't you have to have your pump worked? Don't get me wrong, a good v-drive is not cheap either but from what I've seen they seem to be less trouble once you're set up. Time and time again I see guys working on thier pumps and motors. They seem to be particular....I'm a bit confused.
I'd rather just work on the motor and not have to worry about the rest.
I guess it's all money either way you look at it. I just want to have fun without spending my life's savings!!!
I can tell you what I have learned between owning my boat & being around several others. All the hotrod jet guys I know have spent considerable amounts of $$$ tryin to go faster, but the majority of the money has been spent on the engine & engine work. Pump seems to be a pretty simple piece of equipment & yes there are things you can do to them to tweak them that cost money, theres very little that go wrong with them. Also, there are guys that will spend a ton of $$$ tryin to get some heavy ass hull to run good, while there are better suited hulls that will haul ass with considerably less effort.
I know that in general, a v-drive will be faster than a jet, but in my opinion, a a hotrod v-drive would be a pain in the ass to drive, as it seems to be a totally different driving style, Maybe I'm just lazy. :D I also like not having to worry about a bunch of crap hanging underneath the boat hitting something under water.... It mainly depends on what kind of boating you like to do. Me, I'm not looking to be fast. I'm probably the slowest boat in the group I run with, actually. But when we go out for a run or head out to another cove, I'm not but a couple minutes behind the others if that. I also will say out of the group of boats I run with, mine is about the only one that hasn't been broke down. That's gotta count for something. :D

Dominator Scott
06-15-2007, 01:07 PM
I own both types of boats. A 32 Sunsation Dominator with twin 700SC's that breaks 100mph and my father and I own a 78 Sanger Super Jet with a 460 Ford motor. I can tell you first hand that the 400HP Sanger will crush my 1400HP Dominator from 0-65MPH but after that she's all done and the Dominator is just starting to stretch her legs.
Also the Sanger is a hell of a lot cheaper to run then my Dominator ever has been. I have always been an offshore guy but the Sanger certainly is a LOT of fun even if it is much slower than my Dominator. My 32 hasn't even seen the water yet but the Sanger jet has been run about 9 times so far this summer. Plus I never have to worry about busted drives,props ect. with the Sanger.

ck7684
06-15-2007, 01:47 PM
Jets are just plain more fun!! Less complicated (if you want them to be) and thats a definate bonus. I havent noticed much fuel savings compared to my dad's 18' tri-hull that has a straight 6...I think a jet would be a perfect river runner...depends on your ultimate goals. I bought mine for fun, and it puts a grin on my face for sure!!

jdf
06-15-2007, 01:49 PM
we have both jet's are fun and props are for hauling azz

IMPATIENT 1
06-15-2007, 01:52 PM
there are guys that will spend a ton of $$$ tryin to get some heavy ass hull to run good, while there are better suited hulls that will haul ass with considerably less effort
kenny, are you making fun of me:D

jdf
06-15-2007, 02:08 PM
there are guys that will spend a ton of $$$ tryin to get some heavy ass hull to run good, while there are better suited hulls that will haul ass with considerably less effort
yuo know how kenny is ......you know is boat is like a james bond boat

Devilman
06-15-2007, 02:17 PM
LOL, ummm no. :D What makes you say that? :D :D :D
yuo know how kenny is ......you know is boat is like a james bond boat
You know them peeps at CeeBee forgot the dam machine guns on mine. Sure would be nice for the lake lice. :D :D :D

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
06-15-2007, 02:30 PM
We will always see a thread like this ATLEAST 5 times per year...........
Use the search feature and see what everyone thinks. There will be some prop guys in here very soon talking schit:mad: They always roll out from the woodworks when this thread pops up...........

pw_Tony
06-15-2007, 03:11 PM
What I never got was alot of the outboard boats cost a bookoo amount of money too. You can get a 22' Eliminator Picklefork with a 300 Black Max on the back and expect it to go 90mph for about $40000. But when I can buy a decent Jet for $4000 and spend $36000, I bet it's gonna go pretty damn fast too. So as far as saying a jet takes alot of money to go fast, I wouldn't think it would take as much as to buy an Wacker boat. And what does it cost to buy a new Outboard motor? Like $100 per horsepower? Doesn't calculate to cheap speed to me. Oh yah, read signature quote:D

77charger
06-15-2007, 03:38 PM
Depends on what you want to do fact is a prop is faster with the same amount of hp.But a jet is simple and has the advantage of shallow water.If you were to boat full time in the lower colorado river a jet would be the way to go.But if you plan on boating other waters where it is deeper prop is the better choice.
I have owned all three jet,v drive flat,and open bow i/o prop.jet was fun had its pluses the flat was just insane the amount of hp it had as well as et and speed but not a full time river or lake boat only race.Current lake boat 21ft elimnator with a small block 255hp at prop goes 60 on a good day 58 avg and barely gos thru 35 gallons on 3 day weekend with alot of driving at havasu(usually stay at needles and drive down)and best of all just add gas and turn the key. Now a jet would go thru that 35 gallons probably one way or run dry on the way back on the first day even cruising.
Also its hard to beat the price of pump work i spent under 1k at MPD on my jet when i had it impeller detailing,some bowl work,and a diverter these changes were the best thing i did was able to keep planed at 2500 rpm and fuel consumption went way down while cruising if i kept under 3k vs a stock pump.But the best out of the 3 was the boat in my avatar hands down!!there aint nothing like a flat with alot of HP.

77charger
06-15-2007, 03:43 PM
I can't say for bottom or top end. Dunno. But, if you watch any boat testing, jets are always at the bottom of the cruise efficiency.
Most all other boats of similar size, say 21', with big-block and Bravo = 53-38 mph at 4000 rpm. Depending on the make and hull style.
Similar 21' with big-block and jet = 38-40 mph at 4000 rpm.
my small block i/o is at 45mph at 4k and 60 at 4900(gps)and as far as out of the hole it actually does pretty good can plane with 8 peeps and full tanks of gas headed upriver or pull a single ski skier out easily with 4 on board.When i see the same boat with a big block jet they do struggle,i am sure with good pump work it would be way better for them.As far as top speed gos well i can edge them out still

thatguy
06-15-2007, 03:59 PM
I have both. If I had to pick one? I would sell 'em both! Like stated, V-Drives are much more specific in thier purpose. You said "prop", so don't know if you mean I/O or V-Drive. I guess if for the river, and if I was brand new to it, I would go with a jet.
My miller jet has WAY more motor, but the Eliminator V-Drive is far more violent. And faster.
Yellow, '79 Miller Jet, 19.5', .040 454 BBC
Purple, '73 Eliminator V-Drive, 18', 427 BBC

J-440
06-15-2007, 04:10 PM
Wow...Thanks for all the feedback! Some really good points on both sides, as it seems to be a touchy subject :jawdrop:
One more question if I may, (without starting an all out war!!). I know you can change the rpm you're running at by changing prop size, cut, ect...can the same be done with a jet by changing out the internals if so, is it difficult and or costly?

Konabud
06-15-2007, 04:14 PM
I think the manuverability around the dock is a big plus for a jet and I literally drive mine on the trailer. If you want an all around boat get a jet. I can't talk smack about V-drives cause I'm building one of those too.:D All boats have their place, you just to figure out what you need in a boat.

Xlration Marine
06-15-2007, 04:26 PM
Roost is cool, but props are faster aren't they????
Oh yea. Get a surface drive, have a prop and shoot a rooster. Outboards are good as well, get one with 8 slugs and 8 carbs.

IMPATIENT 1
06-15-2007, 06:42 PM
LOL, ummm no. :D What makes you say that? :D :D :D
You know them peeps at CeeBee forgot the dam machine guns on mine. Sure would be nice for the lake lice. :D :D :D
cause i built a 900+hp taylor sj that'd only do 82:D but it'd get there realllllly phukin quik:devil: and yes, i figured it out the hard way it was never gonna do 90+, so now i'm @90% done with my blown tx-19

dmontzsta
06-15-2007, 07:32 PM
396 is right, there is a million of these threads. :D
But, on another note. I have always heard the shallow water argument first. I have a good friend who's jet boat is down right now, he ran through some shallow water and his intake sucked up some nice rocks and some kind of weeds and stuff, now he has to pull it apart just to make sure everything is ok and not damaged. I think a prop only needs about a 1' more water to go in and if you whack a prop, it is easy to take off and $80 to fix and slap it back on. The shallow water seems to be not so much of a factor between the two, unless you are running in the shallow stuff like the tin boats, that is impressive.
For a lake boat, I think it is about what you can handle and afford, prop boats are usually a bit more expensive.

pw_Tony
06-15-2007, 08:00 PM
But, on another note. I have always heard the shallow water argument first. I have a good friend who's jet boat is down right now, he ran through some shallow water and his intake sucked up some nice rocks and some kind of weeds and stuff, now he has to pull it apart just to make sure everything is ok and not damaged. I think a prop only needs about a 1' more water to go in and if you whack a prop, it is easy to take off and $80 to fix and slap it back on. The shallow water seems to be not so much of a factor between the two, unless you are running in the shallow stuff like the tin boats, that is impressive.
For a lake boat, I think it is about what you can handle and afford, prop boats are usually a bit more expensive.
nless you have to replace a god damn Outdrive for $4000:mad: damn it, it can sit for all I care, when I can buy a Hondo for $2000:D

IMPATIENT 1
06-15-2007, 08:33 PM
There are only a couple of fast jets that I've seen that would match up against any v-drive flat or runner.
On the other hand, there are many v-drive flats or runners that would match up against those fast couple of jets.
there's always someone with more hp or money in their boat;)

BigBlockOldsJet
06-15-2007, 08:37 PM
There are only a couple of fast jets that I've seen that would match up against any v-drive flat or runner.
On the other hand, there are many v-drive flats or runners that would match up against those fast couple of jets.

BigBlockOldsJet
06-15-2007, 08:44 PM
For an example of a lake jet:
1) djdplacecraft's boat
2)
3)
4)
Can anybody think of any other jets?

77charger
06-15-2007, 09:10 PM
might not be that cheap if it is a hard hit on a v drive.damage to strut,rudder,and possibilty of bent prop shaft.My i/o does ok on the lower river as long as i keep up on plane and trimmed out doesnt draft much at all but if i have to slow down in the shallow spots and idle well my jet was way better for that waist deep water was no prob at all.for the i/o i need at least chest high water to be safe

Sleeper CP
06-15-2007, 10:01 PM
I think you're getting off track. I don't think he is looking just for top speed. He can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think he wants to consider fuctionality also. How may v-drives or I/O's can you name that can pull a 180 lbs skier up in 30" of water. Or clear a sand bar in 18" with 6 adults on board. I dont think you can name any. He needs to consider where he will boat 80% of the time and what he wants to do with the boat. If he wants to go out and do alittle drag racing with a ski boat on the lower Colorado River a jet boat will probably be his best choice. If he is going to be in deep water most of time a prop job will be just fine for him. But for ease of operation a jet is hard to beat.
Sleeper CP

YeLLowBoaT
06-15-2007, 10:12 PM
I've owned I/os, O/bs, a vdrive and 2 jets... For what I do with a boat, the ob was the best hands down, most room in the boat and used the least fuel per mph.
in the end, buy a boat you like and get out on the water, that is all that really matters.

Sleeper CP
06-15-2007, 10:21 PM
Wow...Thanks for all the feedback! Some really good points on both sides, as it seems to be a touchy subject :jawdrop:
One more question if I may, (without starting an all out war!!). I know you can change the rpm you're running at by changing prop size, cut, ect...can the same be done with a jet by changing out the internals if so, is it difficult and or costly?
I don't think any one has answered this question for you. Yes depending on your boat and engine combo you adjust the upper rpm limit of your pump by trimming the back side of the impeller. It's alot like gearing a drag car. The shorter the vaines are on the impeller the less hp it takes to turn it. So depending on your engine and at what RPM's you want to cruise at and how fast you want to go at top speed you "machine" the impeller to achieve the desired rpm's. You are probably looking at ,depending on what you need to get done $750-$1,500. But you can spend $3,500-$4,000. if you go all out. You'll have this work done at a boat shop that works on jets.

thatguy
06-16-2007, 04:49 AM
Get the jet, go from there.
I like my jet and my V-Drive. BUT it has been said here before by some one,
"A lot of people want a 100 MPH boat, until they actually own one."
See how you like a hot rod jet first. If you have kids in the boat, the safety deal goes way up. Plus more room with out that drive shaft.
Like I said earlier, V-Drives are much more specific in thier purpose, IMHO.
We use the jet for "outings". We use the V-Drive to see god.
Tommy
PS- This is a never ending debate. I say get the best boat you can afford and go get the SOB wet!! That is really what it is about. Some of my fondest memories are riding in my Dads 16' Jon-Boat with a 35 HP short shaft OB on Alaska rivers.

g935
06-16-2007, 06:09 AM
I've been lurking and reading these posts. I was going to chime in with something smartass and funny. (to me anyway) But, I'm not. Jet vrs V-drive is kind of like Ford vrs. Chevy. The two sides don't switch very often. I've owned both and they were both fast. Fast is relative. Just pick one and have fun. I will admit one thing though. The Jetboat forum is more fun than the V-drive forum. Even though I'm a V-drive owner, I like reading threads like these. I get my popcorn out and just kick back and read the impending stupidity. :D

jimsplace
06-16-2007, 06:36 AM
WELL SAID G935!!
I have a Cole flat and don't want a jet. I have friends with jets who don't want a flat. Neither will probably change.

06-16-2007, 07:10 AM
How may v-drives or I/O's can you name that can pull a 180 lbs skier up in 30" of water.
Sleeper CP
Who in their right mind would ski in 30" of water?:confused:

Sleeper CP
06-16-2007, 08:27 AM
The original post was: I'm thinking about putting together something for the river.
When he said river I think of the lower Colorado where it's swallow and sometimes you can't see the bottom at 2 feet.
When someone crashes or is done skiing you sometimes find yourself in swallow water. Jet's don't have to get off the sand bar and look for deep water to restart. And at 30" I just ski to deeper water.:D You can do that with a I/O or V-drive? I think not :( But it''s like I said ;"he needs to figure out where he wants to go and what he wants to do with it the majority of the time" There is a place for both type's of propulsion systems
Sleeper CP

Gearhead
06-16-2007, 08:59 AM
I would have to agree when it comes to finished speed and efficiency the prop would win. But it all depends on what you want to do and the style hull that you have.
For example, if you were racing in one of the associations and all you are looking for is the best 1/4 mile ET and Top MPH, then get a lightweight race hydro and go for it.
If you are running on the local lake having fun and driving most any place you want to go... get a good jet hull. On the lakes we run, most of the fun races take place in 600 to 1000 feet. Our old jet hulls, some of them vintage '76 to '86 models will out accelerate a comparable flat or hydro in this distance and we can handle the rough water more comfortably and even have room for a passenger or two.
One of our local boys quickest and fastes hull was a really nice baby Kurtis. This boat was definately quick and fast, but was not suitable to lake riding and racing. He sold it and picked up a nice Cheyenne and right off he moved close to the top of the local lake runners. Wanting to improve he purchased a nice race cole hydro. Same engine and all. the boat was fast, but he was getting dusted by the quick jets on the short courses. He ran that boat a year or so, then tracked down the old Cheyenne and not he is back on top. This same fellow has had more than a handful of boats in the last ten years.... Sanger, Kurtis and Cole Hydros, three Youngbloods, both gullwing and tunnel, CP and Cheyenne. So now he has a TX-19 in ski boat trim for his wife and kids and the Cheyenne for himself to hotdog on the lake. Now if he was going back to the sanctioned 1/4 mile he would love to have the baby Kurtis back.
So, what is it you want to do? At this time my personal fun is cruising the lake with an occasional blast. Acceleration is what I am looking for on these 600 to 1000+ foot courses and I find my old vintage jet meets the ticket pretty well.

probablecause
06-16-2007, 09:24 AM
You can't do this with a v-drive, outdrive, or stern drive, and simply wait for the water to come back up, and then simply be on your way.
http://www.rv.net/glb/cfb/memberphotos/13203016/personal/pcboat1.jpg

probablecause
06-16-2007, 09:26 AM
Who in their right mind would ski in 30" of water?:confused:
When you run in Blythe, that is a real possibility. I remember skiing and looking down and getting that pucker factor knowing that if I go down, my clavical is going to be gone.

06-16-2007, 09:33 AM
When you run in Blythe, that is a real possibility. I remember skiing and looking down and getting that pucker factor knowing that if I go down, my clavical is going to be gone.My point exactly.;)

malcolm
06-16-2007, 09:40 AM
You can't do this with a v-drive, outdrive, or stern drive, and simply wait for the water to come back up, and then simply be on your way.
I'll see that comment and raise ya! :D
http://home1.gte.net/res09phe/dryboats.JPG

pw_Tony
06-16-2007, 10:34 AM
Good thing it's a jet!
http://i8.tinypic.com/61z3h5j.jpg

Sleeper CP
06-16-2007, 10:38 AM
http://www.rv.net/glb/cfb/memberphotos/13203016/personal/pcboat1.jpg
After 14 years of river running did the "beach" thing one time at speed.:o About 6" of choppy water when it hit at 35-40mph:( Some fellow boater helped us drag it off and away we went no harm at all, just alittle pride busted.
But 3 weeks ago a friend with a v-drive hit a sand bar at 32 mph and left the prop in the sand,broke and bent the shaft,cracked the bottom of the boat all tolled came to $ 4,500. damage:mad: :mad: :mad:
"Sometimes bad things happen to good looking people" Sam from Cheers.
Sleeper CP

probablecause
06-16-2007, 10:51 AM
After 14 years of river running did the "beach" thing one time at speed.:o About 6" of choppy water when it hit at 35-40mph:( Some fellow boater helped us drag it off and away we went no harm at all, just alittle pride busted.
Not us. After 10 minutes it was this:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/beached02.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/beached-02a.jpg
But is was a beautiful sunset. Sent the older kids back on our jet ski that was in the pack and they brought back two steaks, baked potatos, mushrooms, teriaki, and all the trimmings, and of course more beer and a cigar. Spending the night was not to bad. I went fishing and got some loving to. Couldn't believe how many stars.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/beached-02b.jpg

Sleeper CP
06-16-2007, 11:03 AM
When life gives you lemons ...make lemonade.
And you still have a story to tell.
Sleeper CP

Gearhead
06-16-2007, 05:49 PM
Good thing it's a jet!
http://i8.tinypic.com/61z3h5j.jpg
Now.... I cant' do that with my jet!

W.O.T
06-16-2007, 11:11 PM
ive owned outboards and done and spent way more on my jet but i wont go back. a hot rod jet will never leave leave my blood

Gearhead
06-17-2007, 04:24 PM
Now it might be fun taking a spin in this thing!
http://www.youngbloodjetboats.com/pics/prop.jpg

jimsplace
06-17-2007, 05:35 PM
From a V-Drive guy. You gotta love the way a jet guy thinks.

thatguy
06-17-2007, 07:06 PM
Isn't that the boat they built for running drugs across the English Channell? Seems like I saw it on here a while back.
Tommy:idea:

YeLLowBoaT
06-17-2007, 10:20 PM
Now it might be fun taking a spin in this thing!
http://www.youngbloodjetboats.com/pics/prop.jpg
if you want to pay for the gas...

centerhill condor
06-18-2007, 05:21 AM
one thing to consider...where can you get the boat serviced?
everybody has an outboard place, I/O place around every corner.
Here in TN jet service can be hard to locate.
I think my next boat will be an outboard. The engine is actually
made to be on a boat! Aluminum not cast iron, more room in the boat, etc
The nice things with a jet and there are many, I could drop another 200 horses in the engine and the pump is already to go!
CC

Unchained
06-18-2007, 06:52 AM
I had jet boats for many years and I thought my Stealth was pretty quick / fast. I had a lot of fun with it for 4 seasons.
I detuned the same engine that was in the jet boat to 11# boost / pump gas and put it in a larger, heavier, V-drive tunnel boat with a 150# automatic trans. The result............
WOW :eek: Now I'm afraid of it.
That being said there still are some V drive negatives that one would have to address. Most have no trans and have to be started in gear.
From what I've seen flatbottoms are a real rough ride.
Hydros are a single purpose boat.
Outboards are a pretty good all around boat but I just can't get into the 2 cycle sound and there's very few that can put out enough HP to get the boat quicker than a 10 sec ET performance level. That wouldn't do it for me.
IO's are probably the best drive because they can be trimmed out but their heavy and from what I've seen they break frequently with over 800 hp put to them.
Everyone needs to try them all to see what suits them. :idea:

BigBlockOldsJet
06-18-2007, 09:44 AM
For an example of a lake jet:
1) djdplacecraft's boat
2)
3)
4)
Can anybody think of any other jets?
1) djdplacecraft's jet boat
2) unchained's jet boat
3)
4)

Sleeper CP
06-18-2007, 10:16 AM
BigBlockOlds,
Do you mean like a Cole,Carrera or an Ultra? Not sure
what Eliminator makes in a 20' lake jet anymore?
Sleeper CP