PDA

View Full Version : Direct Tv Vs Dish Network

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
06-15-2007, 12:10 PM
I have Dish now but I was thinking on switching to Direct so I can get all the football channels.
how is the customer service with Direct any pros & cons between the two :idea: I think the prices are the same

HocusPocus
06-15-2007, 12:15 PM
i have had direct tv since the first week it was available and i have never had a problem with equipment or customer service. i currently have 1 HD box, 1 tivo and 4 standard.

Boatcop
06-15-2007, 12:17 PM
Never had DISH, but I've been with Direct TV for about 7 years.
The only complaint I had was when the didn't show up for a scheduled install. I called and bitched, and they gave me a $100 instant credit and 20 bucks off a month for 6 months. Installer then came out on MY schedule.
If you go with Direct, make sure you get the HD w/DVR.

Pheelin Phroggy
06-15-2007, 12:18 PM
We had Direct TV for 12 years, really happy til we had a remote go out.. they wanted to charge me 60 bucks for a new one and would not budge, no matter how long I was with them. We switched to Dish, still very happy, they seem to have more HD channels, and we get all the free remotes we need. Just our experience with both.

djunkie
06-15-2007, 12:22 PM
Good luck getting an appointment with Direct tv and then having them actually show up. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

finsfan4life
06-15-2007, 12:59 PM
Direct TV all the way...Nfl ticket baby, only way I havnt missed a Dolphin game in many years.....

barbigrl
06-15-2007, 01:04 PM
Niether!! BOTH are horrible companies to deal with! I cancelled my Directv a year ago and am still having issues with them. :mad:

barbigrl
06-15-2007, 01:04 PM
Good luck getting an appointment with Direct tv and then having them actually show up. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
I second this!!

mbrown2
06-15-2007, 01:05 PM
Direct....Dish sux and they are bunch Nazi's...

djunkie
06-15-2007, 01:07 PM
I second this!!
I had a thread about this a week or 2 ago. I was fully gonna go direct tv over cable. After talking on the phone with Direct tv I've decided against them. They were gonna take over a month to get out to set it all up. Not to mention my brother had 3 separate appointments with them (and he took 3 days off of work for them) and they never showed on all 3 appointments. Now thats shitty service to me.

76ANTHONY
06-15-2007, 01:21 PM
I had a thread about this a week or 2 ago. I was fully gonna go direct tv over cable. After talking on the phone with Direct tv I've decided against them. They were gonna take over a month to get out to set it all up. Not to mention my brother had 3 separate appointments with them (and he took 3 days off of work for them) and they never showed on all 3 appointments. Now thats shitty service to me.
well hell ya live out past bfe:D
oh and i have dish, no issues with em...

Desert Rat
06-15-2007, 01:27 PM
Never had a problem with Direct TV, I think the confusion some have is that in the past with Dish you did not own the equipment rather you were renting it, with Direct you owned the the equipment so when it went out it was on your own dime. That might be changing though, my first DVR I had to buy and now the second one in the back room belongs to Direct TV. JetBoatRich might be able to help you on this he is "somebody" at Direct TV. Just not sure what though:)

Hustler
06-15-2007, 01:34 PM
I have nothing but good things to say about DTV. I know people have issues with getting them to show up for install's but I have learned that those same people went through DTV vender instead dealing directly with DTV

Fire Angler
06-15-2007, 02:08 PM
Directv for the NFL. Plus you can order SuperFan package and get 150 regular season games in HD. :D

jdf
06-15-2007, 02:11 PM
love it ..it's in the rv to

Fire Angler
06-15-2007, 02:14 PM
love it ..it's in the rv to
Nothing like watching all of the game in Glamis! :D

OverKill
06-15-2007, 02:22 PM
I am currently in lawsuite with Direct TV. I ordered 1 HD and 2 standard. I was only getting 1 out of the 6 satilites needed for HD. Where they put up the dish was against my HOA and I got a letter from them. Direct TV came out and discovered there is no other place to put the dish and get a signal. I canceled my service and was sent a bill for $200.00 + dollars for early cancilation. So they took there equipment back F**ked up my stuco and sent me the bill for quiting. Direct TV Can GO F**K them selves. There crooks. Anybody here work for Direct TV can do the same. Of course I don't think there would be, because the guy that came to install was a no good drop out flunky..

Baja Big Dog
06-15-2007, 02:40 PM
Had Direct for years...my office mgr didnt send in a payment, some marble mouthed Ebonics talking "agent" for direct called me (during dinner) and told me we could take care of this with a credit card or check by phone. I respectfully declined her invitation and told her that the payment was already mailed in, she insisted on the date of the amount, I informed her since it was Dinner time my office was closed and I would have to get her the information the next day. she asked when to call back as this issue had to get resolved or the service was gonna be halted!!
Move to the next day...get another marble mouth Ebonics bitch threatening to turn off the service, I told her the check (gave her the check number) was mailed in on the 4th of June, not good enough, she wanted a credit card, told her to turn of the focking service....she wants to know why, told her to turn it fricken off. She sends me to another agent, this was a guy that spoke English, he was concerned about the cancelling of the service, told him (while eating a Brians Pub rib) that I didnt care for the strong arm tactics, and since I was such a low life customer and Im always late I thought I was doing them a favor, he looks at the account and says you have never been late, DAH...shut it off assshole, he offers to take 20 bucks a month off the bill to stay with them, pound sand...turn it off.
Next day.....get a call from the main "dont turn off the service" bitch, she offers me the same service for 59 bucks a month, ( I think I was paying 95-98 bucks) she wasnt happy about me saying fock no....then she starts the tough guy bull and tells me that I have to turn in my box's. I told her to come and get them, but bring the cops, since I owned the box's, she said "oh yea" when she realized her error...
Yea their customer service has a lot to be desired.:mad:

voodoomedman
06-15-2007, 03:05 PM
I got DirecTV a couple months ago and have had great service. Always friendly on the phone and fixed billing errors no problem. I ordered through Verizon and it comes on my Verizon bill and I save a boatload of money doing it that way. Fios TV seems bichen but I wouldn't be able to take my box to the river house so it's DirecTV for now.

Boatcop
06-15-2007, 03:42 PM
I am currently in lawsuite with Direct TV. I ordered 1 HD and 2 standard. I was only getting 1 out of the 6 satilites needed for HD. Where they put up the dish was against my HOA and I got a letter from them. Direct TV came out and discovered there is no other place to put the dish and get a signal. I canceled my service and was sent a bill for $200.00 + dollars for early cancilation. So they took there equipment back F**ked up my stuco and sent me the bill for quiting. Direct TV Can GO F**K them selves. There crooks. Anybody here work for Direct TV can do the same. Of course I don't think there would be, because the guy that came to install was a no good drop out flunky..
By Federal Law a HOA cannot restrict placement of Satellite dishes, except for safety reasons or where it may affect historical sites.
http://ftp.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/consumerdish.html
Sounds like you also have a claim against the HOA.

RitcheyRch
06-15-2007, 03:45 PM
Ditto that except no HD box or Tivo.
i have had direct tv since the first week it was available and i have never had a problem with equipment or customer service. i currently have 1 HD box, 1 tivo and 4 standard.

77charger
06-15-2007, 03:49 PM
READ the fine print before you sign.I have direct and also had them come out for the hd upgrade and service was good they asked me where to place dish and asked me again if i was sure i said yes.After install i had to sign another paper staing that i ok'd the dish location and approved it which i did.
Also informed at time of upgrade on the phone that if i decided to cancel there would be an early termination fee.
Try to cancel out your cell phone if you have a contract or anything for that matter bottom line if you dont like the terms then dont sign a contractthat is if you READ THEM.
oh yeh called on monday had them on friday doing the install.This was thru direct tv not a vendor

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
06-15-2007, 03:52 PM
wow :eek:

OverKill
06-15-2007, 04:00 PM
READ the fine print before you sign.I have direct and also had them come out for the hd upgrade and service was good they asked me where to place dish and asked me again if i was sure i said yes.After install i had to sign another paper staing that i ok'd the dish location and approved it which i did.
Also informed at time of upgrade on the phone that if i decided to cancel there would be an early termination fee.
Try to cancel out your cell phone if you have a contract or anything for that matter bottom line if you dont like the terms then dont sign a contractthat is if you READ THEM.
oh yeh called on monday had them on friday doing the install.This was thru direct tv not a vendor
Of course I read them. I am cought between a rock and a hard spot. I have battled my HOA and Direct TV. Sure I said where to put the dish. As I later found out in the 1000 pages of my HOA that it was the same as parking a car on the street. I could'nt do it. Pay the fine or take it off. So I called the tech out to relocate the dish. Of course my luck, he couldn't get a signal from any other position than where it was put first. So for a month I never recieved an HD channal but I paid it anyway. Because I am a pushover?? Hell know, so I can get on the peoples court. This is an Open and Shut Case. They have no chance. " Contracts" My dad's put one on a couple of people before.:D

Chubby4Life
06-15-2007, 05:58 PM
Wow, way to paint with such a broad stroke! :jawdrop:
You didn't do your homework beforehand, you authorized the install location and you signed the contract, yet they are the ones that should F-themselves?

Goldilocks
06-15-2007, 06:33 PM
We have had DirecTV for over two years and have had no issues. We have NFL Sunday ticket, and it rocks! If you get it, you won't be able to go back to just watching games on the network channels. We have a DVR. That is the best invention ever.
We have an extra dish that we can take out to the lake or to Glamis and it's awesome.

OverKill
06-15-2007, 09:26 PM
Wow, way to paint with such a broad stroke! :jawdrop:
You didn't do your homework beforehand, you authorized the install location and you signed the contract, yet they are the ones that should F-themselves?
So when Im told they were only using 1 out of 6 satilites needed to perform properly what was I supposed to. I was told they could not get a SIGNAL by witch my house was located. Bottom line if you can't do it right don't do it at all. If HOA says no, and Direct TV says they can't put the dish anywhere else (to get SIGNAL). So why should I pay. In fact if you must know I am suing them for breech of contract. ( Selling me something they couldn't provide.....:eek:

sponger_2
06-15-2007, 09:40 PM
i subscribe to directv, and have been with them since i can remember. i have had no complaints yet, and also signed up for that verizon combo package. BUT i also have dish network, for FREE, and i mean ALL the channels. pm if you want to know about that one.

HOOTER SLED-
06-15-2007, 10:02 PM
I have Dish now but I was thinking on switching to Direct so I can get all the football channels.
how is the customer service with Direct any pros & cons between the two :idea: I think the prices are the same
BITCH!!! I have Direct TV, and you're always at my house watching the fights and shit anyways.................what does it matter?. LOL:D

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
06-15-2007, 11:18 PM
BITCH!!! I have Direct TV, and you're always at my house watching the fights and shit anyways.................what does it matter?. LOL:D
hey get over here and cut my grass and how is my baby mama doing

OGShocker
06-15-2007, 11:25 PM
Mel,
We have both services and have had ZERO issues with either.
Hope to see you in August!
Your friend,
River Dave!:D

Boozer
06-15-2007, 11:28 PM
Mel,
We have both services and have had ZERO issues with either.
Hope to see you in August!
Your friend,
River Dave!:D
When are we going to Kellys for a beer?
Your neighbor,
Boozer :D

YeLLowBoaT
06-15-2007, 11:40 PM
By Federal Law a HOA cannot restrict placement of Satellite dishes, except for safety reasons or where it may affect historical sites.
http://ftp.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/consumerdish.html
Sounds like you also have a claim against the HOA.
that is true, but they are aloud to charge you a monthly fee for having it...

Boozer
06-15-2007, 11:49 PM
that is true, but they are aloud to charge you a monthly fee for having it...
HOA is allowed to charge you a monthly fee for having a satelite dish installed on your home? That doesn't sound right to me....
I could only see an HOA being able to charge a fee for a satelite dish or restricting home owners from having them if the home owner signed a contract at the time of purchase stating that they will not install a dish or agree to a fee if they choose to install one. Either way that is complete garbage and I can't believe anyone would actually sign something like that.

boatsnblondes
06-16-2007, 12:00 AM
We have three TV's in the house, a 34" HD sony, a 63" HD Mitsubishi, and a 40" sony XBR2. All three are hooked up to Directv Tivo boxes, two of them are HD boxes. I have never had a glitch, problem, or compliant with them which did not get resolved before it ever got to really be a problem. I think once you get the knack of tivo, you'll never go back...good luck...oh, and the two HD boxes are wired into 6.1 systems.....Directv comes in great, soundwise.....:D

YeLLowBoaT
06-16-2007, 01:01 AM
HOA is allowed to charge you a monthly fee for having a satelite dish installed on your home? That doesn't sound right to me....
I could only see an HOA being able to charge a fee for a satelite dish or restricting home owners from having them if the home owner signed a contract at the time of purchase stating that they will not install a dish or agree to a fee if they choose to install one. Either way that is complete garbage and I can't believe anyone would actually sign something like that.
I know condos, apartments and town homes can... not sure about an hoa.

DAB
06-16-2007, 09:26 AM
i subscribe to directv, and have been with them since i can remember. i have had no complaints yet, and also signed up for that verizon combo package. BUT i also have dish network, for FREE, and i mean ALL the channels. pm if you want to know about that one.
FTA? Viewsat, Pansat, other??

RitcheyRch
06-16-2007, 11:03 AM
I dont think an HOA can keep you from having a dish on your house. As far as I know they can only tell you where to place it. If they tell you that you cant have a dish on your house than they must have ties to the cable company and are getting a piece of the pie. Maybe JetBoatRich will chime in here and explain what he knows about this.

JetBoatRich
06-16-2007, 03:07 PM
I dont think an HOA can keep you from having a dish on your house. As far as I know they can only tell you where to place it. If they tell you that you cant have a dish on your house than they must have ties to the cable company and are getting a piece of the pie. Maybe JetBoatRich will chime in here and explain what he knows about this.
actually in many places they have to approve the installation, some will stricter guidlines than others. They may also limit the dish size, the new HD dish is bigger and we have heard compliants from HOA's

blacksheepvictor
06-16-2007, 06:28 PM
I just switched from Charter to Directv because their HD package will soon far surpass that of Charter's. As for customer service, it was great. I called, got the plan I wanted and the technician was there the next day. After all was said and done we'll end up saving 20 bucks a month. I'm not sure if everyone here has experienced HDTV because those who have know. There’s no turning back. I will go out of my way to watch HD channels wherever I can. Here is the HD lineup:
DirecTV's HD 100: The List Grows
Updated June 13
A&E (Sept.)
Altitude (RSN; Dish launching in HD this fall)
Animal Planet (Sept.)
Big Ten Network *
Bravo *
Cartoon Network *
Chiller
Cinemax East *
Cinemax West *
CNBC
CNN *
Comcast SportsNet Chicago HD
Comcast SportsNet Mid-Atlantic HD
Discovery Channel (Sept.)
Discovery HD Theater (channel 76)
ESPN HD (channel 73)
ESPN2 HD (channel 72)
Food Network *
FSN Arizona
FSN Bay Area
FSN Detroit
FSN Florida
FSN New England
FSN North
FSN Northwest
FSN Ohio
FSN Prime Ticket
FSN Rocky Mountain
FSN South
FSN Southwest
FSN West
FX *
HBO East (channel 70)
HBO West *
HBO2 East *
HBO2 West *
HBO Family East *
HBO Family West *
HBO Latino East *
HBO Signature East *
HDNet (channel 79)
HDNet Movies (channel 78)
HGTV *
MoreMax East *
MTV *
NASCAR HotPass driver 1 (channel 795)
NASCAR HotPass driver 2 (channel 796)
NASCAR HotPass driver 3 (channel 797)
NASCAR HotPass driver 4 (channel 798)
NASCAR HotPass driver 5 (channel 799)
NGC HD (channel 98 - sneak peek only)
New England Sports Network HD (channel 623)
NFL Network *
NFL Sunday Ticket – game 1
NFL Sunday Ticket – game 2
NFL Sunday Ticket – game 3
NFL Sunday Ticket – game 4
NFL Sunday Ticket – game 5
NFL Sunday Ticket – game 6
NFL Sunday Ticket – game 7
NFL Sunday Ticket – game 8
NFL Sunday Ticket – game 9
NFL Sunday Ticket – game 10
NFL Sunday Ticket – game 11
NFL Sunday Ticket – game 12
NFL Sunday Ticket – game 13
Pay-Per-View HD (channel 99)
SCI FI Channel *
Showtime HD (channel 71)
Showtime West *
Speed *
SportsNet New York HD (channel 625)
SportsSouth (RSN; now in HD on Dish)
Starz East coast feed (Sept.)
Starz West coast feed (Sept.)
Starz Comedy (Sept.)
Starz Edge (Sept.)
Starz Kids & Family (Sept.)
Sun Sports (RSN now in HD on Dish)
TBS *
The 101 (part-time HD)
The History Channel (Sept.)
The Movie Channel *
The Science Channel (Sept.)
The Tennis Channel *
The Weather Channel (Sept.) *
TLC (Sept.)
TNT HD (channel 75)
Universal HD (channel 74)
USA Network *
Versus *
YES HD (channel 622)
+ 2 TBA Discovery-owned networks
= 94 HD feeds by Dec. 31, 2007
HD channels launching in 2008:
ABC Family
Disney Channel
ESPNEWS HD
HBO Signature West
HBO Comedy West
HBO Zone East
HBO Zone West
HBO Latino West
MoreMAX West
ActionMAX East
ActionMAX West
ThrillerMAX East
ThrillerMAX West
Toon Disney
WMAX East
WMAX West
@MAX East
5StarMAX East
OuterMAX East
* Announced

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
06-16-2007, 06:45 PM
I just switched from Charter to Directv because their HD package will soon far surpass that of Charter's. As for customer service, it was great. I called, got the plan I wanted and the technician was there the next day. After all was said and done we'll end up saving 20 bucks a month. I'm not sure if everyone here has experienced HDTV because those who have know. There’s no turning back. I will go out of my way to watch HD channels wherever I can. Here is the HD lineup:
DirecTV's HD 100: The List Grows
Updated June 13
A&E (Sept.)
Altitude (RSN; Dish launching in HD this fall)
Animal Planet (Sept.)
Big Ten Network *
Bravo *
Cartoon Network *
Chiller
Cinemax East *
Cinemax West *
CNBC
CNN *
Comcast SportsNet Chicago HD
Comcast SportsNet Mid-Atlantic HD
Discovery Channel (Sept.)
Discovery HD Theater (channel 76)
ESPN HD (channel 73)
ESPN2 HD (channel 72)
Food Network *
FSN Arizona
FSN Bay Area
FSN Detroit
FSN Florida
FSN New England
FSN North
FSN Northwest
FSN Ohio
FSN Prime Ticket
FSN Rocky Mountain
FSN South
FSN Southwest
FSN West
FX *
HBO East (channel 70)
HBO West *
HBO2 East *
HBO2 West *
HBO Family East *
HBO Family West *
HBO Latino East *
HBO Signature East *
HDNet (channel 79)
HDNet Movies (channel 78)
HGTV *
MoreMax East *
MTV *
NASCAR HotPass driver 1 (channel 795)
NASCAR HotPass driver 2 (channel 796)
NASCAR HotPass driver 3 (channel 797)
NASCAR HotPass driver 4 (channel 798)
NASCAR HotPass driver 5 (channel 799)
NGC HD (channel 98 - sneak peek only)
New England Sports Network HD (channel 623)
NFL Network *
NFL Sunday Ticket – game 1
NFL Sunday Ticket – game 2
NFL Sunday Ticket – game 3
NFL Sunday Ticket – game 4
NFL Sunday Ticket – game 5
NFL Sunday Ticket – game 6
NFL Sunday Ticket – game 7
NFL Sunday Ticket – game 8
NFL Sunday Ticket – game 9
NFL Sunday Ticket – game 10
NFL Sunday Ticket – game 11
NFL Sunday Ticket – game 12
NFL Sunday Ticket – game 13
Pay-Per-View HD (channel 99)
SCI FI Channel *
Showtime HD (channel 71)
Showtime West *
Speed *
SportsNet New York HD (channel 625)
SportsSouth (RSN; now in HD on Dish)
Starz East coast feed (Sept.)
Starz West coast feed (Sept.)
Starz Comedy (Sept.)
Starz Edge (Sept.)
Starz Kids & Family (Sept.)
Sun Sports (RSN now in HD on Dish)
TBS *
The 101 (part-time HD)
The History Channel (Sept.)
The Movie Channel *
The Science Channel (Sept.)
The Tennis Channel *
The Weather Channel (Sept.) *
TLC (Sept.)
TNT HD (channel 75)
Universal HD (channel 74)
USA Network *
Versus *
YES HD (channel 622)
+ 2 TBA Discovery-owned networks
= 94 HD feeds by Dec. 31, 2007
HD channels launching in 2008:
ABC Family
Disney Channel
ESPNEWS HD
HBO Signature West
HBO Comedy West
HBO Zone East
HBO Zone West
HBO Latino West
MoreMAX West
ActionMAX East
ActionMAX West
ThrillerMAX East
ThrillerMAX West
Toon Disney
WMAX East
WMAX West
@MAX East
5StarMAX East
OuterMAX East
* Announced
dam will twist my arm why dont you :idea:

jdf
06-16-2007, 08:04 PM
pony up mel ..

OGShocker
06-16-2007, 08:10 PM
When are we going to Kellys for a beer?
Your neighbor,
Boozer :D
You're BACK????

Boozer
06-16-2007, 09:58 PM
Heading back to Denver in the morning. Will be there for 2 weeks or so. Then heading back here. I plan to stay in Chino for a couple weeks until I can get a place out in HB.

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
06-16-2007, 11:19 PM
pony up mel ..
I am all over it now

skisupreme
06-17-2007, 05:54 AM
I've had both, you'll hear people's problems with both. I now have DirecTV HD with Tivo's throughout the house. They work great, the best sports channels.
Also my dad has it and just put a TV in the backyard and DirecTV came out free and hooked it up with a HD receiver. I plan on adding two additional TV's to the back yard so that is a benefit. Dish wanted to charge me for everything.

jdf
06-17-2007, 06:26 AM
I am all over it now
good deal .....we have loved our deal been great for us

Ultrafied
06-17-2007, 06:53 AM
Go with Direct TV, Direct TV offers TIVO not their own DVR. No matter what anyone says TIVO and DVR are not the same thing.
Actually, DirecTv does not use Tivo anymore. If you have a Tivo DVR from Direct, you still get service but they make their own boxes now, with their own software. Tivo support is to be discontinued in 2010 from DirecTV.