PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Delivery Question

BlueNun
06-16-2007, 01:57 PM
Whats up guys. I have a Tahiti with twin 20 gallon or so Imco tanks. I'm building a fairly stout 468ci Chevy. What is the best and smoothest way to feed it fuel from both tanks. I have a Y block sitting around so should I invest in a pair of electric fuel pumps with some sort of switch or what??
Thanks
Jason

FASTJTBT
06-16-2007, 02:03 PM
Are they top feed or bottom? I would just use a y block with the bottom feed tanks so they keep the fuel even and use 1/2 fuel line .

Slacker
06-16-2007, 02:10 PM
I am running a y block from both Imco 11 gallon saddle tanks. Goes from tanks to y block to fuel filter to electric fuel pump to Aeromotive fuel pressure reg then to carbs. Just finished this setup on my new motor. Pretty much the same setup before except i was using a Mechanical pump.Didnt have any problems then and everything good so far. Hope this helps ... CT

BlueNun
06-16-2007, 02:13 PM
Thanks guys. I always thought the electric pumps were better at pushing instead of pulling but I guess its not like a car with the tank so far away. So whats a great pump to buy??
Jason

FASTJTBT
06-16-2007, 02:15 PM
holley

Slacker
06-16-2007, 02:25 PM
Aeromotive.. just my 2 cents..

Heatseeker
06-16-2007, 05:19 PM
Go mechanical and forget about it. :D
The above described system seems to work well for me(open lines from tanks to Y block, thru filter to mech. pump and to carbs with regulator, in my case a bypass style).
IMO, electric pumps increase your chances of failure on the water.

Slacker
06-16-2007, 05:52 PM
Go mechanical and forget about it. :D
The above described system seems to work well for me(open lines from tanks to Y block, thru filter to mech. pump and to carbs with regulator, in my case a bypass style).
IMO, electric pumps increase your chances of failure on the water.
I was going back mechanical, but i had a electric pump come with my blower deal. So i set it up that way as my old holley (MP) was to small to put back on.

FASTJTBT
06-16-2007, 06:51 PM
I run a 540 twin turbo set up and run both works well never a problem

'75 Miller
06-16-2007, 09:41 PM
[QUOTE=BlueNun;2623745] So whats a great pump to buy?
Product Engineering
www.productengr.com

superdave013
06-17-2007, 06:34 AM
Clay Smith fuel pumps are the best for the money.
They just don't fail. And in the remote chance it does no problem. They are built in Buena Park, CA and are totaly rebuildable.
Take a peek inside an endurance race boat and that's the pump you'll see.
Call me at the shop on Monday and I'll hook you with a good deal. 714 223 9322

Xlration Marine
06-17-2007, 06:44 AM
One fuel pump, one switch, three filters. A filter in each line before the switch and one after the fuel pump before it goes into the regulator then into the mota. I have found that they do not draw equally out of the tanks. One goes empty and your sucking air, no run run motor. So I run off one till it gets close to empty and then I can run the other empty. Switch it back to get back to the dock. That smy reserve fuel, smart tinking. Ever get towed back to the dock by a 2-smoke. Not much fun.

BlueNun
06-17-2007, 07:27 PM
Wow lots of options....I am thinking of a single a single carb setup intead of a tunnell ram. Premium gas is $3.89 a gallon in Merced where I live. Dave I will give you a call I was also thinking of a Clay Smith cam. I was looking at this from Quickfuel please tell me what you think.
http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10001_10002_359194_-1

Gearhead
06-17-2007, 07:51 PM
BlueNun.
The Quickfuel pump is definately a very nice pump. It is constructed very similar to a Cummins diesel primary pump, so the design should have a good service life. We have run them on a couple of customer engines with good results, but the jury is still out on the long term usage.
As far as the Clay Smith pump goes, it has been proven for a long many years. I can personally vouch that the pump works well in 800 to 900 hp engines pulling from side tanks. The price is also lower than the Quickfuel pump. So, If you are not running a really high hp engine, I would consider the Clay Smith due to known reliability and reasonable cost.

BlueNun
06-17-2007, 08:07 PM
awesome they Clay Smith it is

superdave013
06-18-2007, 04:38 AM
As far as the Clay Smith pump goes, it has been proven for a long many years. I can personally vouch that the pump works well in 800 to 900 hp engines pulling from side tanks. The price is also lower than the Quickfuel pump. So, If you are not running a really high hp engine, I would consider the Clay Smith due to known reliability and reasonable cost.
They are rated up to 1,300 hp.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
06-18-2007, 06:16 AM
I have found that they do not draw equally out of the tanks. One goes empty and your sucking air, no run run motor. So I run off one till it gets close to empty and then I can run the other empty. Switch it back to get back to the dock. That smy reserve fuel, smart tinking. Ever get towed back to the dock by a 2-smoke. Not much fun.
This man is 100% correct!
I run a valve on each tank so I can do the same thing.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
06-18-2007, 06:17 AM
Clay Smith fuel pumps are the best for the money.
They just don't fail. And in the remote chance it does no problem. They are built in Buena Park, CA and are totaly rebuildable.
Take a peek inside an endurance race boat and that's the pump you'll see.
Call me at the shop on Monday and I'll hook you with a good deal. 714 223 9322
Amen;) Mecanical so you can eliminate electronics. Less things to trouble shoot......