PDA

View Full Version : Nylon material wrapped around shaft

asch
06-16-2007, 03:11 PM
Sucked up some kind of tent material or something. It looks like it should just pull right out. Not. This crap is tough whatever it is. Stalled the motor. Luckily it was only at idle when it happened. Even with a 3 foot pry bar in the u-joints, couldn't get it to budge. What you see is left of what I have cut away. It's this that seems to be jammed SOLID between the shaft and the housing. I tried picking and cutting at it with a blade but that ain't working either. I'm thinking the best thing would be to remove the shaft but.... I don't know how to do that. I don't want to take it to the shop either if I can avoid it. Any suggestions?
BTW- It's a berk JGhttp://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=33177&stc=1&d=1182035365

Squirtcha?
06-16-2007, 03:42 PM
Some guys have had luck melting ropes etc. with a propane torch.
Disclaimer..............haven't actually done this myself. Just heard about others doing it.
Almost looks like a piece of some one's ezup.

asch
06-16-2007, 04:33 PM
That might work. Concerned about warping the housing though (if that's possible to do with heat alone). Thanks

Oldsquirt
06-16-2007, 06:12 PM
You shouldn't have to worry about the heat. Probably wont be much with what is there. If you are concerned, you could use a heat gun instead of the torch.

3 daytona`s
06-16-2007, 06:58 PM
Sucked up some kind of tent material or something. It looks like it should just pull right out. Not. This crap is tough whatever it is. Stalled the motor. Luckily it was only at idle when it happened. Even with a 3 foot pry bar in the u-joints, couldn't get it to budge. What you see is left of what I have cut away. It's this that seems to be jammed SOLID between the shaft and the housing. I tried picking and cutting at it with a blade but that ain't working either. I'm thinking the best thing would be to remove the shaft but.... I don't know how to do that. I don't want to take it to the shop either if I can avoid it. Any suggestions?
BTW- It's a berk JGhttp://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=33177&stc=1&d=1182035365
If do not wish to take apart,I suggest a pair of vice grips and patience just keep plugging away. The melting idea is o.k. but BE CAREFUL good luck

4trax
06-16-2007, 07:38 PM
you should be able to use the little blue bottle torch. The metal won't get hot enough to hurt it. That polyester melts quick. Should melt away enough around the shaft to pull out in one junk.

Psycho Squid
06-16-2007, 08:00 PM
I've removed rope and stuff at the ramp with a can of wd-40 and a match..
made a low temp blow torch. :idea:

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
06-16-2007, 08:33 PM
I've removed rope and stuff at the ramp with a can of wd-40 and a match..
made a low temp blow torch. :idea:
Thats some ghetto schit that works:D

asch
06-16-2007, 08:49 PM
If do not wish to take apart,I suggest a pair of vice grips and patience just keep plugging away. The melting idea is o.k. but BE CAREFUL good luck
Did the vise grip thing for a long time. Hands begin to cramp after awhile.:mad:

asch
06-16-2007, 09:09 PM
you should be able to use the little blue bottle torch. The metal won't get hot enough to hurt it. That polyester melts quick. Should melt away enough around the shaft to pull out in one junk.
I think that might be the ticket. Hot enough to be effective, small enough to not excesively heat anything else. Ill give a shot tomorrow. Thanks
Thats some ghetto schit that works:D
Hey, I seriously considered that! I even got the tall "bonus ounce" can ta boot.:) My better judgement got the best of me.:boxed:

Psycho Squid
06-16-2007, 10:18 PM
Thats some ghetto schit that works:DIt sure does.Who would believe a 3 foot section of rope would shut off / stop a big block while running. the WD-40 was a last resort. We couldn't get the jail house grate off. Cool thing is you can soak it and the flames stop when it's ready to drive. :D Now if I had a coat hanger and a hot dog I could multi-task. :)

mdunn01
06-17-2007, 09:10 AM
Like everyone is saying, blue torch, burn it off and it wont hurt anything. There is not enough material there to produce a ton of heat. Have your fire estinquisher handy next to you and you will be fine along with a wet towle to toss on it .

Squirtcha?
06-17-2007, 09:58 AM
Might also add to keep your hands/arms away from dripping bits of melted nylon, but I'm sure you figured that out already.

SGV40oz
06-17-2007, 01:11 PM
if u take the thickest piece of fishing string you can find cut it about6 feet long. go through the loader gate with both ends(one end on each side of the problem)pull back and forth on each end like a saw but keep pressure on it. it will cut right through it. might take a few tries but it will go through.i can even cut 4 inch pvc pipe with it.:jawdrop: dont put the torch to it.:idea: