View Full Version : jc pump problems?

IndianaTahiti
06-17-2007, 08:58 AM
This is my first jet,I was wondering if it is normal for this thing to take off like this? From idle I can punch it and it will spin up to 6200 rpm but seem like it is cavitating,It seems like I am dooing a burn out! If I back off the throttle till I plane off it helps.Full throttle at top speed is netting me only 5400 rpm.Is this normal? The boat is a 19 foot tahiti,jc-a pump no place divertor(will get on soon)I assume the pump has not been rebuilt since new.This set up only has the rock grate in it. Any help would be appreciated!

mdunn01
06-17-2007, 09:06 AM
This is my first jet,I was wondering if it is normal for this thing to take off like this? From idle I can punch it and it will spin up to 6200 rpm but seem like it is cavitating,It seems like I am dooing a burn out! If I back off the throttle till I plane off it helps.Full throttle at top speed is netting me only 5400 rpm.Is this normal? The boat is a 19 foot tahiti,jc-a pump no place divertor(will get on soon)I assume the pump has not been rebuilt since new.This set up only has the rock grate in it. Any help would be appreciated!
You need to rebuild the pump, plain and simple. Thats whats wrong and no its not normal. Rebuild the pump and watch the difference. It will really make a BIG difference.

IndianaTahiti
06-17-2007, 09:22 AM
What part of the pump wears out? I thought about picking up a split bowl on ebay.

MADDOG355
06-17-2007, 10:23 AM
There are a few parts in the pump to replace with a full rebuild, (which I would recomend that way you are shure of the condition of the pump).
The pump is pretty simple you have a wear ring & impeller, thrust bearing, bowl seals and the brass bowl bearings.
Plus the gaskets. Odds are their should be someone in your area that can give you a hand or recomend a shop close to you that is good with jets.
I am shure there are alot of supliers that sell the kit, CP performance owns Berkeley so you can get a idea of what you are looking at on their website.
PS Now would be the time to install the split bowl if that is what you intend to do.

sanger455
06-23-2007, 06:00 PM
are you in Indiana if so what part