PDA

View Full Version : Any one from Lexington kentucky...is it nice/safe

mouzer
06-17-2007, 01:41 PM
We were moveing from california to boise idaho last year but aftr looking at alot of houses we went back to thinking castle rock co or colorado springs..now before my kids hit high school age we were told about lexington ky.is it true i could get a lake front home there for $400,000 iam so sick of driveing a 18 wheeler in so ca.for the pat 30yrs. born and raised in orange county i find it very hard to leave what i know. but the smog in riverside county has become one of the worst places to live and raise kids for a heathy life style...any buddy live in lex ky.we just paid off our home here in corona ca so move'in would be no problem money wise.i wanna move to arizona but my wife and kids dont like to much heat,they thank Corona's heat is miserable.and i hate snow.

wsuwrhr
06-17-2007, 01:48 PM
At least you won't have any problem selling your your stuff for a loss.
Brian

jdf
06-17-2007, 01:52 PM
by the way it snow's up there

Havasu1986
06-17-2007, 01:53 PM
My buddy in Corona is selling his house to move to Austin Texas. Lake Travis looks nice. New houses are very cheap. :)

mouzer
06-17-2007, 02:03 PM
My buddy in Corona is selling his house to move to Austin Texas. Lake Travis looks nice. New houses are very cheap. :)
my neighbor just moved to texas and called and said they love it but humid.:jawdrop:

mouzer
06-17-2007, 02:04 PM
At least you won't have any problem selling your your stuff for a loss.
Brian
Hey Brian, it didnt take long for a (4-sale) comment:D

mouzer
06-17-2007, 02:08 PM
We just drove out to Prescott az...i loved the mountain homes,she wants flatland track house...i need a 1/2 acre or more...:jawdrop:

mouzer
06-17-2007, 02:10 PM
I dont want snow..unless it melts in a day or 2 and im afraid of Tornados:(

photo chick
06-17-2007, 02:39 PM
Dallas, Tx has it's drawbacks...especially moving from So Cal...take it from me, I was born & raised in So Cal. but...there is NO traffic and the people, except in my town (cause they're all Cali transplants) are real nice. It's not as humid as down south (Houston) and it's definitely flat! Oh and we have tons of lakes..... We bought our house for a third of what we sold ours in Thousand Oaks and it's much larger & on an acre. As for Kentucy....it's beautiful but I know nothing else about it......:)

beaverretriever
06-17-2007, 02:43 PM
Our new boat is being built there. You should give Jeff at Trick Powerboats a call. He is a super guy and I am sure he wouldn't mind answering some questions about the area. Trickpowerboats.com

wsuwrhr
06-17-2007, 02:46 PM
Hey Brian, it didnt take long for a (4-sale) comment:D
Buddy, you earned that title.
I just wanted to be the first to mention it.

mouzer
06-17-2007, 02:49 PM
Dallas, Tx has it's drawbacks...especially moving from So Cal...take it from me, I was born & raised in So Cal. but...there is NO traffic and the people, except in my town (cause they're all Cali transplants) are real nice. It's not as humid as down south (Houston) and it's definitely flat! Oh and we have tons of lakes..... We bought our house for a third of what we sold ours in Thousand Oaks and it's much larger & on an acre. As for Kentucy....it's beautiful but I know nothing else about it......:)
Thanks Photo chick...my wifes best friend moved from cypress (so cal)and moved to Canyon texas and wants us out there...heard there is lots of lakes.

photo chick
06-17-2007, 02:57 PM
Thanks Photo chick...my wifes best friend moved from cypress (so cal)and moved to Canyon texas and wants us out there...heard there is lots of lakes.
Canyon, TX as in close to Amarillo?? Don't do it!!!! My in-laws live there, it's probably the worst weather location in the US, no joke. It's either damn hot or damn cold.....tornados and hail storms to scare the crap out of you. Most of my deer photos come from there but as far as I'm concerned that's the only thing good about Canyon!!!

RiverOtter
06-17-2007, 03:03 PM
Kentucky is a great state. No problems finding a house on lots of acreage. Absolutly beautiful landscape. Friendly people. Great lakes. A little too far from the beach for me though.

mouzer
06-17-2007, 03:06 PM
Thanks.....i was'nt keen on texas..all i wanted was arizona..she wants lex,ky...she goes on the top 100 places to live site! ft collins colorado was #1

RiverOtter
06-17-2007, 03:12 PM
Thanks.....i was'nt keen on texas..all i wanted was arizona..she wants lex,ky...she goes on the top 100 places to live site! ft collins colorado was #1
I'd like Ft Collins but then again I really enjoy snow skiing :)

Jbb
06-17-2007, 03:21 PM
Kentucky.....? (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4924085173349496686)

RiverOtter
06-17-2007, 03:25 PM
How did you get my family movies :idea:

RiverOtter
06-17-2007, 03:28 PM
Lexington (http://www.lexchamber.com/)
You could take your boat through a lock :D
http://www.lrn.usace.army.mil/op/images/Ken.jpg

waterluvr
06-17-2007, 06:03 PM
I live in Nashville but my job has me handling the state of KY.
Lexington is beautiful but is also one of the more expensive areas to live in KY. If you are looking primarily for an area close to a lake there are better areas to live. However, Lexington does have the hospitals and the cultural setting (not to mention the KY Wildcats).
I grew up in Chatsworth, Ca and I have not had a problem adapting.
Personally, I prefer Nashville for the lakes and cost of living. Also, TN does not have an income tax.
Not a bunch of snow in Lexington and when it does snow it does not stick for long.
Good luck and PM me if you want more specific information.
Christopher

lawbreaker2
06-17-2007, 06:10 PM
I dont want snow..unless it melts in a day or 2 and im afraid of Tornados:(
Cleveland ohio may not be a place for you.:D The snow don't melt for maybe 4 to 5 months and -10 most of jan. and feb.:D

life's a river
06-17-2007, 06:42 PM
One of my good friends/former next door neighbor (Here in Corona) sold their house almost 3 years ago packed up the entire family including the mother inlaw and an aunt and moved to a 4500 sq ft house on 5 acres in Georgetown KY. Long story short.... He now hates Kentucky but can't sell his house due to the fact that there are not as many people back there that can afford a $500K house. He wishes he would have rented out his house here and rented an apartment first to get to know the state then it would have been easy to move back if needed. There are a lot of negatives about California but there are a lot more positives. Better think twice unless you have some family and friends back there.
Good luck!
LAR

SK48
06-17-2007, 07:06 PM
:) I grew up in Orange County ( balboa island ) and moved to Parker Az.
19 years ago. If I could pick a new location to live it would be Boise Id. before Texas. It is cold in Boise for a few months, but it is not over a
hundred degrees and humid all summer. Boise is at about 4000 ft. and the economy is really doing well there. You should ask Rattle Can Lou about Boise, as he has a body shop there, and I believe he is a native to the area.

Boozer
06-17-2007, 07:33 PM
Who cares of it's nice?? It is Kentucky for christs sake! You wanna grow a beard and call yourself a colonel?
Fort Collins is fawking nice! If I could find a GOOD job that could pay the bills there I would move to Fort Collins in a heart beat. I have been many places and I have yet to go to a city where the people are so friendly and inviting as Fort Collins. Sadly the jobs there... well there really arent jobs there... the ones that are there dont pay d*ck! I thought about moving to Fort Collins and commuting to Denver for work but in the winter months that is a death wish in the making.
If you have lots of money in your pocket and dont need to work or can do some sort of telecomuting gig Fort Collins would be awesome. Otherwise... consider it a pipe dream. If you do make it to the fort hit up the hunt club it is one of my favorite lunch spots. :D

voodoomedman
06-17-2007, 07:35 PM
Do it. We are looking at a 5 year plan for Nashville area at the moment. I'm tired of this place.

Riverbass
06-17-2007, 07:50 PM
If two people get married in Kentucky and get devoiced in California are they still brother and sister?:D :D :D

life's a river
06-17-2007, 09:19 PM
If two people get married in Kentucky and get devoiced in California are they still brother and sister?:D :D :D
OK! That was funny!

SummitKarl
06-17-2007, 09:50 PM
We were moveing from california to boise idaho last year but aftr looking at alot of houses we went back to thinking castle rock co or colorado springs..now before my kids hit high school age we were told about lexington ky.is it true i could get a lake front home there for $400,000 iam so sick of driveing a 18 wheeler in so ca.for the pat 30yrs. born and raised in orange county i find it very hard to leave what i know. but the smog in riverside county has become one of the worst places to live and raise kids for a heathy life style...any buddy live in lex ky.we just paid off our home here in corona ca so move'in would be no problem money wise.i wanna move to arizona but my wife and kids dont like to much heat,they thank Corona's heat is miserable.and i hate snow.
nice place..lexington...lots of green grass every where....very friendly people...the housing prices floored me they were so cheap $260k gets you a nice home on 10 acres...only one thing..I was there in July....let me tell you about 98 degs and 90% humidity:sqeyes: nothing!!!! is dry, I will take Havasu at 120deg plus any day...:D

MADDOG355
06-17-2007, 11:59 PM
Check out TN, Paris in Henry county (LBL) KY Lake area. TN does not have the state income tax. We do have higher taxes on everything else. The key is live in TN close to KY to do all your major shopping.

Decided Advantage
06-18-2007, 03:56 AM
Don't matter where ya go, there ya are.
If you move toward Colorado Springs you'll be traveling a well worn road of many CA natives. The growth in that area is creating many of the problems your wishing to escape. It looks like some real water problems could be coming. A beautiful area. My parents and brother are all in Colorado Springs or at least the front range, A great place to visit.
The roads (I25) can get pretty tretcherous with rain or snow at a moments notice and the traffic will be like old home week.
Have you considered Or checked out Grand Junction, CO? They get Winter there but milder than the bigs dumps they get on the front range. Right on I 70. It was a nice place when I left.
No lake homes in either location. As in either case you'll travel a ways to water.
KY?

shueman
06-18-2007, 04:34 AM
my neighbor just moved to texas and called and said they love it but humid.:jawdrop:
We've been looking at the Hill Country as well. Lake LBJ and Marble Falls. Just have not pulled the trigger. Decent waterfront pricing.
It's gonna be humid in Lexington, and mighty COLD at times during the winter months. Our Region Office in Colombus, right across the river. Did many Feb-Mar trips for meetings...bitter ass cold and light snow, at times.
My bro-in-law has already got money invested in a 14 acre parcel in KY, so he's sold on the farmer lifestyle when he's pulling a pension.

EXTRMBT
06-18-2007, 08:08 AM
My parents live in Lexington. They love it. Nice weather, nice summers. It can snow but usually does not. If you move to the towns around Lexington you can get land. There are some nice homes with water access on the KY river that are priced right. PM me if you need some more info. Good luck with the move.:D

Baja Big Dog
06-18-2007, 10:26 AM
Well JBB..you out did yourself on that one!!!:D

RiverOtter
06-18-2007, 02:11 PM
As mentioned above check out TN. Nashville, Knoxville, Chattanooga (where I live) are very nice. Nashville lives in Murfreesboro (outside of Nashville). Of the 3 or 4 Chattanooga has NO traffice. Low cost of living if you locate by a good public school. We are on the GA boarder, 1.5 hours from Atlanta, 2 hours from Nashville, 1.5 hours from Knoxville. We have more lakes than you can shake a stick at. You could (and I know people who have) hope on your boat in Knoxville or Chattanooga, head down stream thru some locks and next thing you know you are in the Gulf Of Mexico (which is where I'm at now :D )