PDA

View Full Version : plug reading help

bbc540
06-17-2007, 05:06 PM
I ran autolite 3932 spark plugs last year but they were always wet looking so I changed to NGK 5672-8 (#7173) now they are white to grey lean my question is should I stay with the ngk and adjust jetting to them or go back to autolites also what do you recomend my valve setting or lash to be on a solid roller settup with aluminum heads no thermostat motor stays about 170 degrees specs below. thanks for any info in advance I just run the lakes not profesional racer by any means.
555 BBC
AFR 345 heads not ported but did opt for the bowl blending and cc,d
11.5-1 compression
lunati solid roller cam .722 lift and 276 -284 duration calls for .028 int and .030 exh.
mallory ignition msd electronic 6
king demon carb 1090 an with .090 primary and .093 secondary jets
also running a nos plate set at 225 HP shot

Fiat48
06-17-2007, 05:14 PM
Using a cross reference chart...it appears the autolite 3932 is very cold...equivalent to an NGK 10.
Valve lash cold would be about .004 tighter. I assume your valve lash spec Luinati gives you is hot.
Clean the plugs off real good and take a picture of them.
Need following info:
Brand of fuel
Elevation you run at.
Timing.
How far off from stock jets are you now?

bbc540
06-17-2007, 05:40 PM
Fiat been reading your threads and can tell you know what you are talking about so here goes.
I run 110 sunoco fuel mixed with 93 pump gas (15 gallons 110 to 5 gallons 93)
run basically at sea level in Louisiana
timing locked in at 38
jetting is lower than original by 2 sizes on each end (trying to set to the cold plugs and keeping it cold for the nitrous)
I wish I lived closer to the havasu and california area to meet some of the guys on the board I have the only v-drive within a 100 miles where I live but I have a blast with it. Thanks again

Fiat48
06-17-2007, 06:46 PM
By "lower" do you mean leaner or richer?
Are you burning the cad plating on the plug? White insulator is normal.

Taylorman
06-18-2007, 12:14 PM
bbc540, where do you live?

bbc540
06-18-2007, 01:07 PM
Town called Monterey Louisiana about 30 miles south of Natchez Mississippi on the Louisiana side of the river on black river lake which also joins horseshoe lake.

BrendellaJet
06-18-2007, 01:18 PM
Im running a similar combo. You can run more water to lower exiting coolant temp. That would help fight detonation and you could lower your octane requirement(my motor runs 91). With my setup my motor runs 130-135 degrees.

bbc540
06-18-2007, 01:24 PM
I think I messed up originally going with the autolite 3932 plugs but that is what AFR recommended for the heads I am not running the cad plugs and the ground strap is white all the way to the base no brown at all I think I need to go back up in jet sizes to original and check again as long as you think the 5672-8 plugs will work fine with my set up. thanks again

bbc540
06-18-2007, 01:43 PM
Brendella Jet my boat is a brendella v-drive do not see many brendellas at least I dont.
Taylorman I take it thats your family and boat very nice! when I get more time I will try to post some pictures.

Fiat48
06-18-2007, 08:21 PM
I think I messed up originally going with the autolite 3932 plugs but that is what AFR recommended for the heads I am not running the cad plugs and the ground strap is white all the way to the base no brown at all I think I need to go back up in jet sizes to original and check again as long as you think the 5672-8 plugs will work fine with my set up. thanks again
Well....you see...I look at it this way. There's probably lots of ways to tune. I just have my way that works for me. I know when the cad burns off in relation to exhaust temperature pretty close. Super easy to read an NGK.
The reason I chose NGK over any other plug is my experience with them in tuning. Actually I used to run Champions until there heat ranges got so "one size covers all."
Nothing wrong with an autolite for sure. It's just I never messed with them because they used to be a "black" plug and not plated. I realize that has changed now but I am not familiar with how the plating burns off and therfore tuning with those.
I tune with a hotter plug (8 heat range) because the plug colors faster and tells me where the tune up is before I hurt anything. Then I will move to 9's as I find what the motor wants fuel wise.
If you tune with a cold plug like a 10 (same heat range as your autolite) then you might not see much heat on the plug and may wind up leaning it and hurting the motor.
A 10 is very cold....I see nothing really wrong with a 10 heat range AFTER you have a good tune up but you may foul them in certain conditions. Probably on your deal I would use a 9 heat range after I had the baseline tuneup. Nitrous makes me say that.
Nitrous is it's own seperate system.
I'd install the NGK 8's. I would make a run and pull the plugs. The first thing to color is the ground strap. The white insulator is normal UNLESS you see aluminum on the insulator.
On gas motors you must wipe the plug clean. Use a spary cleaner if necessary. Look at the cad burn on the base of the plug. If the plug has not burned any cad off the plug....you're on the fat side. Generally I jet a motor up and expect those results for the first run.
If it burned no base cad.....I'd do a pass (short) with the Nitrous and read the plug again.
The idea is to sneak up on the burning of the cad with an 8 heat range. When you can burn the base cad off the 8's then you are approaching close enough.
Then put your colder plug in.

bbc540
06-19-2007, 11:56 AM
fiat cant thank you enough I did not fully understand about the cad plating so I pulled the plugs again it was burning the plating off so I started jetting up ended up with 94 in the front and 96 in the rear and swear I picked up another 500 rpm last year I fought the cold plugs fouling and a high end slight miss not anymore pulls like a monster all the way to 7600 fast enough for me. thanks again