PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Firing Order?

Infomaniac
11-26-2002, 11:35 AM
Not to kill the other thread but. I put three firing orders mentioned in the other thread together on one chart. Which is your favorite and why? Maybe a different one?
Better durability? All three firing orders have succesive hits to 3 crank pins.
More Power? All three firing orders have 2 cylinders competing for the same intake charge.
I can understand the new GM firing order being more durable due to the succesive hits being on the back 3 stronger crank pins.
I do not understand the 4&7 swap fixing the lean #5 condition. Does it not just cause 2&4 to compete for the same intake charge?
http://members.cox.net/crazyokie/3.jpg
[ November 26, 2002, 11:50 AM: Message edited by: Infomaniac ]

RH
11-26-2002, 06:21 PM
These are good threads and I am trying to follow them with my limited engine knowledge so could you please define [1] a crank pin and [2] 2 cylinders competing for the same intake charge. Thank you very much . RH

Infomaniac
11-26-2002, 06:56 PM
Brain Fart:
LOL HH
I get my post count up this way.
[ November 26, 2002, 07:11 PM: Message edited by: Infomaniac ]

Infomaniac
11-26-2002, 06:58 PM
RH:
These are good threads and I am trying to follow them with my limited engine knowledge so could you please define [1] a crank pin and [2] 2 cylinders competing for the same intake charge. Thank you very much . RHI just noticed my ISP going down periodically. My chart disappears when that happens.
A crankpin (Rod Journal) is where 2 rods connect on the crank. They are 180 apart in the engine. If those 2 cylinders fire one after the other, there will be a bit of stress on the crank there. Two power events on the same point of the crank.
2 cyls competing for the same intake charge means two cylinders next to each other firing one after the other. They are drawing from the intake manifold at basically the same place. One will probably get more mixture than the other.

Havasu Hangin'
11-26-2002, 07:02 PM
Infomaniac:
I just noticed my ISP going down periodically. My chart disappears when that happens...Big brother is watching...your ISP is just the start...
Next comes the double posts...
Crop circles, I tell ya...
[ November 26, 2002, 07:03 PM: Message edited by: Havasu Hangin' ]

11-26-2002, 10:01 PM
My favorite firing order is 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8 :D

BobS
11-27-2002, 04:26 AM
No favorite here. I just wish they'd leave well enough alone. After lo these many years of working on my BBC, I still can't remember the firing order without cheating. So a new one? Now I've got to worry about keeping cams, cranks and distributers sorted out too.

lovemyultra
11-28-2002, 10:05 PM
15426378 is hard to beat 058

spectras only
11-28-2002, 10:30 PM
maybe FoMoCo should change too, so we wouldn't have to cross those last two [ 7,8] plugwires to eliminate crossfiring caused by induction J/K :D

JetBoatRich
11-29-2002, 06:55 AM
You guys are looking at this pretty hard, left some us behind?

MikeF
11-30-2002, 05:50 PM
This is from the Chev site.
Firing Order
In all Suburban models, the Vortec V8 engines have a cylinder firing order that better balances the forces that are exerted on the crankshaft during combustion. This, in turn, helps reduce engine vibrations.
There would not really be a mixture problem (I believe) because of the fuel injectors in each intake runner.
Obviously this would not apply to racing cams in racing engines. :cool:

Unchained
12-01-2002, 05:19 AM
I think that other than worry about their firing orders Chevy needs to upgrade their 40 and 50 year old basic engine designs. I can't believe that a Corvette STILL comes out with a 1955 design pushrod engine.
It's exiting to see new engine designs that manufacturers come up with. Problem is they are all foreign manufacturers. The American companies refuse to use new technology for fear they may cost a few bucks more. Can't be compromising the profits you know.
Mark