PDA

View Full Version : Trailer tongue problems

Goathead666
06-18-2007, 04:41 PM
Excuse me if I don't use the right terminology but I'm kind of a Noob. Anyways, bought a used boat a couple weeks ago and the trailer was fine, it's a Zieman tandem with surge drum brakes on it. Problem is that now I can't get the latch mechanisim to engage and lock on hitch ball. The lever is stuck in the up position on the tongue.
Tried backing up, rocking the trailer, greasing the ball and the reciever. The thing is stuck. Anybody got an idea what's going on in there so I can try and get it free again. I'm not really sure if there's something I'm missing, seems pretty straight forward.
Thanks
Rick

vee-driven
06-18-2007, 07:13 PM
a few well placed whacks with a good sized hammer ought to fix your problem, it worked on mine, and thats the truth.

VDRIVERACING
06-19-2007, 06:56 PM
These things tend to get stuck, or rusted, from time to time.
If it's stuck while still resting on the ball, it's possible the ball is sitting on the jaw that is supposed to move under the ball. DO NOT stick your finger in there to check. Lift it off the ball and see if it works. Also, don't rule out the wrong size ball.
If it's not sitting on the ball, WD40 the crap out of it, let it sit awhile and tap the lever down. If something is lodged in there and you whale on it, you're just gonna bend the mechanism...

Goathead666
06-20-2007, 03:01 PM
Thanks guys, it's still stuck. I tried hitting the side of the tongue with a rubber mallet, no dice. I checked to see if it's resting on the jaw, no dice either, I'm guessing it's just stuck and stuck pretty good at that. I'm planning on taking it out this Saturday so I need to fix the damn thing :confused:

XtrmWakeborder
06-20-2007, 06:45 PM
Is the ball too big?...

Goathead666
06-20-2007, 08:54 PM
Nope, it's a 2". That's what the trailer tongue says it accepts right on it. I wish it were that simple.

It's all Good
06-20-2007, 09:01 PM
Is it a UFP (http://www.ufpnet.com/) hitch?

GGR
06-26-2007, 01:59 PM
I have the same problem with my trailer from time to time, what I do is place wheel chalks in front of the wheels of the trailer and start to slowly drive the vehicle forward. This makes the surge brake actuator (coupler) straighten out to level, and then you should be able to close the latch easily.

craiginlaverne
06-30-2007, 01:50 PM
If I were you, I would get your actuater replaced by a UFP actuater. That thing will probably stick all the time. Maybe once in a while it will work fine, but not all the time.The next thing to go will be you master cylinder. We do a lot of services and those actuaters are nothing but problems. I work for a boat trailer manufacturer and all we use is UFP. No complaints from our customers since we switched over to UFP. And no, I dont work for zieman. Good luck with that chunk of steel!!

YeLLowBoaT
06-30-2007, 01:54 PM
what others have said about being on uneven ground, some times its also helpfull to just put the truck in gear and let it bumb forward. Some one could have also cranked down the adjustment nut so that it would fit a 1 7/8ths ball seen that done before.

LUVNLIFE
06-30-2007, 05:12 PM
Chock the wheels and pull forward:)