PDA

View Full Version : Steering Problem

HPBoats83
06-18-2007, 05:15 PM
Ok I bought my boat used and the steering was relativley tight (not much more so then normal) in it; however, not to bad. I had the steering cable replaced and it was much better; however, now at speed 55+ the ass end of the boat feels like it's loose. The other thing that I noticed is that when the boat is being trailored the drive moves side to side as i tow it. I'm not sure whether it's the helm or the steering assembly mounted on the transom that the steering cable goes into. Any advise on which to check first or if anybody has ever had this problem please advise on whether you think it's the steering helm or something else.
Thanks,
James
P.S. It's the Volvo DP-S drive.

dunaholic
06-18-2007, 06:05 PM
Gimble ring.

Legal Chemistry
06-18-2007, 06:51 PM
2nd the gimble. Do you run it trimmed waaaaay up? That will put excessive wear on it. There is also a stabilizer that you can buy that will secure your o/d while being towed... it could prolong the life of it.
oh yeah, thanks for posting up the pics

HPBoats83
06-18-2007, 07:19 PM
Aren't gimble rings really expensive? I had one guy look at it and tell me he thinks it is the Morse Steering helm, that the bushings have worn up. I don't run it trimed way up, probably an 1/8 of the way according to the gauge.

TCHB
06-18-2007, 07:32 PM
It sounds like what others have said.
Gimbel Ring

TCHB
06-18-2007, 07:40 PM
After you fix it, you might want to add external steering. Bravo rings losen up alot, even on low hp and moderate use. If you use it hard anyone here will tell you to add external. Your saftey at high speeds would be in question if not added.

HPBoats83
06-18-2007, 08:36 PM
Two things....my boat hardly breaks 60mph so it's not really a high speed boat and secondly it's the volvo dual prop setup.

dunaholic
06-19-2007, 07:51 AM
Two things....my boat hardly breaks 60mph so it's not really a high speed boat and secondly it's the volvo dual prop setup.
I don't know as much about the Volvo setup, but the Bravo setup is renoun for the gimble going bad. I believe the Volvo is still on a gimble ring type system. The metal around the pin on the top wears and that is what gives you the slop in your drive. This is a safety factor on higher speed boats because it can slip at high speds and really ruin your day. To answer your question on cost....Yes they are expensive to replace, but you can't put a $$$ figure on the safety of you and your family.