View Full Version : repairing holes in stringers

gunslinger
10-01-2002, 10:55 AM
whats the best way to repair a bolt hole that is no longer used? Is it even necessary? Never mind if it's necessary. Looks like shit, i'm fixin it. How do I do it correctly?

GofastRacer
10-01-2002, 11:00 AM
Drill the hole out, take a piece of dowel and Epoxy it in, done deal!!...I do believe you're talking about holes in the stringer, right??.....
[ October 01, 2002, 12:02 PM: Message edited by: GofastRacer ]

gunslinger
10-01-2002, 11:14 AM
Yes , holes in the stringers. After the dowles are in do you put glass and resin over them?

GofastRacer
10-01-2002, 11:40 AM
gunslinger:
Yes , holes in the stringers. After the dowles are in do you put glass and resin over them?Oopss, my bad, I forgot to mention that, yes you would, that finishes it off.....

HavasuDreamin'
10-01-2002, 12:03 PM
Where can one find glass and resin? What is the process once you have the glass and resin? Does it look fairly good, or does it look like someone patched it?

PipesClean
10-01-2002, 12:58 PM
You can get glass and resin easily at Home Depot. After you get the dowl in, grind down hole about 1/16in. into the stringer with a little 4" air grinder or something like that. Cut your pieces of glass littler to bigger to fit the hole, then just glass them in on top of each other until they fill the hole! When your finished, sand them flush and add an additional coat of resin to the top to make it look nice.

469 the coyote
10-01-2002, 07:37 PM
I just got done doing mine. I got a bag of dowels, put them in some resin, put them in and sand flush,brush some resin over and your done, no glass work. also make sure and drill to next size hole so you have a clean hole to start with.