PDA

View Full Version : Boat Carpet Dog hair question

CB1
06-18-2007, 08:10 PM
Whats the best way to get it out of the boat, attachments, devices etc,,, and don't say don't put him in the boat... Thanks in advance..

sleekcraft80
06-18-2007, 08:12 PM
You can get one of those sticky rollers from the grocery store in the pet aisle.

MRS FLYIN VEE
06-18-2007, 08:15 PM
I know it is some work, But if you take a damp wash cloth or towel and it comes right up.:D

Leverage
06-18-2007, 08:17 PM
Kinda like picn pubies :devil:
A good shop vac and box tape.

moneypit
06-18-2007, 08:21 PM
Ummm a big balloon and some static? Masking tape? Vaccuum?

mobldj
06-18-2007, 08:26 PM
shave the dog

CornWater
06-18-2007, 08:44 PM
shave the dog
Words out of my mouth... we just started doing this with our lab, and it has been a night and day difference...

SummitKarl
06-18-2007, 09:16 PM
Whats the best way to get it out of the boat, attachments, devices etc,,, and don't say don't put him in the boat... Thanks in advance..
5hp shop vac... and trust me my (fur ball) sheads 24/7:rolleyes:

riverbound
06-18-2007, 09:24 PM
I used to use a scrub bush...and brush the carpet...the nice thing is it also fluffs the carpet while its getting the dog hair out. That or I used to use our Oreck vacuum and it got all the hair out no problem

SummerBreeze
06-18-2007, 09:50 PM
roll the windows down and go fast

sponger_2
06-18-2007, 10:43 PM
shoulpdnt shave dogs. if they didnt need the fur it wouldnt be there. thats cruel in my opinion.

SummitKarl
06-18-2007, 10:58 PM
roll the windows down and go fast
and leave a rooster of FUR behind the boat:D

jbone
06-19-2007, 03:29 AM
shoulpdnt shave dogs. if they didnt need the fur it wouldnt be there. thats cruel in my opinion.
I disagree.
First, fur is meant to provide many funtions. One is to keep dogs warm in the cold and cool in the hot.
Domestic dogs today can handle the ambient temps of a home any day, shaved or not.
Now keeping them cool in the desert heat. A shaved dog will do fine there too. In fact, a wet dog in the sun can actually overheat. In a sense, they can actually steam themselves to death.
I had a chow that loved to be shaved. She would get soooo exited to come from the groomers. Her personality changed dramatically after a good clipping.
When I told the vet we were hosing her down to cool her off in the summer, I was told about the overheating thing.
So, I say shave away!
The kitty loves a good trimming too:D
J

NashvilleBound
06-19-2007, 03:33 AM
ALL kitties need to be AT LEAST trimmed if not shaved!! :D :D :D

Jbb
06-19-2007, 03:38 AM
:p

Tremor Girl
06-19-2007, 05:58 AM
You're correct when it comes to labs. They are double coated. Their fur is meant to keep them cool as well as warm. The "undercoat" is there to protect their skin against bacteria and sunburn. Any double coated dog should never be shaved. You're risking your dogs health by doing this. Check with your vet. If they say otherwise, I'd look for a new vet.
Regularly bathing a lab is also a bad idea. They secrete oil on their undercoat to help protect their skin. Our lab is two and has only had 2 baths.
Shaving single coated dogs is just fine.
Try giving your dog a really good brushing before taking it on the boat.

Lightning
06-19-2007, 08:25 AM
I had a friend who used to put on a set of rubber gloves and hand wipe the carpet, it pulled up all the hair no problems. The brush technique works well too as well as a high powered shop vac.

Mrs. casean
06-19-2007, 08:28 AM
Love this thread!!!! The vacuum does not get all the fur up from our lab... she sheds soooo bad! I try to brush her before we take her in to help out, but seems like the fur just never stops coming off :) Lots of good ideas here I'll try them out this weekend!

CarBizIndio
06-19-2007, 08:42 AM
Pics???? :jawdrop:

CornWater
06-19-2007, 08:49 AM
You're correct when it comes to labs. They are double coated. Their fur is meant to keep them cool as well as warm. The "undercoat" is there to protect their skin against bacteria and sunburn. Any double coated dog should never be shaved. You're risking your dogs health by doing this. Check with your vet. If they say otherwise, I'd look for a new vet.
Regularly bathing a lab is also a bad idea. They secrete oil on their undercoat to help protect their skin. Our lab is two and has only had 2 baths.
Shaving single coated dogs is just fine.
Try giving your dog a really good brushing before taking it on the boat.
Ummm... checked with three vets. But I love the fact that your arm chair veterinary education supercedes their's.

RitcheyRch
06-19-2007, 08:55 AM
Isnt that the truth.

uvindex
06-19-2007, 09:27 AM
I disagree.
First, fur is meant to provide many funtions. One is to keep dogs warm in the cold and cool in the hot.
Domestic dogs today can handle the ambient temps of a home any day, shaved or not.
Now keeping them cool in the desert heat. A shaved dog will do fine there too. In fact, a wet dog in the sun can actually overheat. In a sense, they can actually steam themselves to death.
I had a chow that loved to be shaved. She would get soooo exited to come from the groomers. Her personality changed dramatically after a good clipping.
When I told the vet we were hosing her down to cool her off in the summer, I was told about the overheating thing.
So, I say shave away!
The kitty loves a good trimming too:D
JOne thing: Dogs, just like people, can get sunburned. One of the functions of the dog's coat is to protect against the sun. Please don't take your shaved dog in the sun without a good coat of sunscreen. :)
College of Veterinary Medicine article on dog sunburn (http://www.cvm.uiuc.edu/petcolumns/showarticle.cfm?id=459)

Ziggy
06-19-2007, 10:26 AM
Roll masking tape around your hand several times with the sticky side out.....roll it on the carpet to grab the fur, once sticky part full tear off til you have clean sticky and repeat.

Nord
06-19-2007, 10:45 AM
Use a dirt devil type vacuu
e that actually spins with bristles. This not only gets rid of the dog hair, but will revive your carpet as well. I have a house vacuum with a similar attachment that works wonders!!

riverbound
06-19-2007, 10:56 AM
Use a dirt devil type vacuu
e that actually spins with bristles. This not only gets rid of the dog hair, but will revive your carpet as well. I have a house vacuum with a similar attachment that works wonders!!
Or just bring more towels so the hair dosnt get there in the first place.

4mula357
06-19-2007, 06:04 PM
Lint roller works great.

Nord
06-19-2007, 06:18 PM
Or just bring more towels so the hair dosnt get there in the first place.
PURE GENIUS!!!:D ;)

H20Advantage
06-19-2007, 07:16 PM
Dog hair will weave itself into the carpet so you need to use a good shop vacuum after every use so it doesn't do that.
Once it is in the only fix is on your hands and knees with a some sticky duct tape pulling it up.

Goldilocks
06-19-2007, 08:11 PM
I have used our little Dirt Devil hand vac. It works just fine.
http://www.dirtdevil.com/Products/retrieveImage.aspx?code=LG&id=11519