PDA

View Full Version : more power for a triton v8

holorinhal
06-18-2007, 08:58 PM
I know this is a boating site ,but i was wondering if any one can help.
I have a '99 ford expedition 4x4 with a 4.6 triton v8,and want to know if there is any thing i can do to get more power out of it, maybe a k&n filter system, or a aftermarket computer chip,or any other bolt on assesory.
any sugestions would be appreciated.
the engine runs fine,it seems to reduce tthe power substantially when the air conditioner is on. it just doesnt seem to have enough horsepower for the size of the truck.
i havent taken it off road yet but i want to make sure it has enough power to get through the sand,where we go camping at the river.thanks ....hal

oldselmn8tr
06-18-2007, 09:39 PM
Do a cat back system a k&n filter set up and a power programmer. Should be able to find all in summit or jegs.

maddad
06-19-2007, 07:26 AM
With only 285+/- inches to work with, that motor will never make the kind of power you'd like in a fairly large rig. Gearing is a torque multiplyer, with the right transfer case and low range, off road is not a problem. With the right gears, even a small motor can break tough parts.

STV_Keith
06-19-2007, 09:57 AM
Check out the Edge Evolution (http://www.edgeproducts.com/products.php?car_motor_key=20&category_key=all) for that truck. If you like it, shoot me a PM for a price.

dmontzsta
06-19-2007, 10:11 AM
Honestly, I would not spend too much on the 4.6. I had a 98 Expedition with the 5.4 and it was MUCH stronger than my friends Expedition with the 4.6 or even another friends F150 with the 4.6. 5.4 is the only way to fly. :)