PDA

View Full Version : TT headers on my eliminator????check it...

Riverat84
06-18-2007, 10:32 PM
hey first off, whoever had their jet boat out at tha parker strip this weekend...they all were nice!...due to trailer tire issues, i could not make it this weekend....however, i was thinking about converting from OT to TT headers on my sled...its a '76 eliminator 19' bubble deck jet...its a BBF w/ bassetts on it right now...i want to grab a good set of water jacketed headers instead of injected ones so just incase, they're warm to the touch, not burning through the skin...what headers will work and what kind of tubes will i need to take it from the header to the transom...and i want some sick ass looking tips, no flaps...i also would like someone ELSE to cut the big ass holes in the back of my boat cuz i dont trust myself haha!...let me know about my options people, and thanx for the future advise! here's a pic...
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/3267IMG_9097.JPG

Riverat84
06-18-2007, 10:33 PM
BTW the water line is usually right below the bottom of the purple @ the transom...thanx.
Reid

BUSBY
06-19-2007, 06:44 AM
I would think about it for a while more ... cutting the boat is pretty serious and makes the resale value go down.
Just my .02 ... but there are a lot of nice headers out there, what you'll have to consider is having them clear the rear deck with enough angle to still be able to hook up to your tips at the water line.
For a super clean install, call either Concept Marine (http://www.conceptmarine.net/) or Prime Marine (http://www.primemarineusa.com/)
Good Luck,
Brian

TahitiTiger
06-19-2007, 01:48 PM
I just bought a set of Rewarder TT headers for my 455 to replace my logs. I too am leary, I have to cut my 2 7/8 holes out to 4". JBP told me to use a sawzall, my accuracy with it is not promising LOL.

Riverat84
06-19-2007, 02:01 PM
I just bought a set of Rewarder TT headers for my 455 to replace my logs. I too am leary, I have to cut my 2 7/8 holes out to 4". JBP told me to use a sawzall, my accuracy with it is not promising LOL.
yeah dude, which is why i would HAVE it done haha!...

Riverat84
06-19-2007, 02:03 PM
I would think about it for a while more ... cutting the boat is pretty serious and makes the resale value go down.
Just my .02 ... but there are a lot of nice headers out there, what you'll have to consider is having them clear the rear deck with enough angle to still be able to hook up to your tips at the water line.
For a super clean install, call either Concept Marine (http://www.conceptmarine.net/) or Prime Marine (http://www.primemarineusa.com/)
Good Luck,
Brian
hey yeah i totally understand that, but the one thing i would LOVE to do, is have a conversation w/ the person next to me when the boat is at least idling...it sounds so sick, and i love that, but its too loud for my taste...thanx for the input, as i wont be serious about doing it till later this winter before next season...keep the advice coming guys!
Reid

BrendellaJet
06-19-2007, 02:33 PM
You guys can do this! Not that hard.
recently my brother added some imco pwerflows to his boat. His holes were already in the boat since the boat came with logs. He bought the stainless tubing and fabbed his own S pipes. He bought the material with the bends in it, and then he started mocking it up. I think he cut the tubing with a chop saw and once he had the pieces the size he needed he tacked them together and had somebody finish weld them-they turned out bitchen.
If your holes just need to be bigger, use a piece of plywood to cover them from the inside & locate the center of that circle(you can use a 2 7/8 hole saw to do this)Clamp the piece of plywood in place and use that center but now change to a 4 inch hole saw.
Tape your paint front & back and go slow.

mirrorimage
06-19-2007, 02:56 PM
i just cut the holes in the back of my boat and it was a sinch .... the transom is 1"thick and it had holes for the old bells in it ... i off set the new tips and swallowed up the old holes , traced out the tip and cut to the inside of the line ... i had a quater moon shape that i had to cut out and done ! i had the same fear you guys do when i started cutting ... check 5times cut once ... just remember its easier to go back and trim out more ,than try to put it back... so i cut mine short and had to trim.. oh the headders are wider that logs thats why i had to offset the tips to the outside of the boat ...

DMOORE
06-19-2007, 03:18 PM
i just cut the holes in the back of my boat and it was a sinch .... the transom is 1"thick and it had holes for the old bells in it
Damn, I cut 4" holes in the transom of my Scarab and it was 4inches thick. I was using a 1hp industrial drill when it caught, damn near broke my arm. Needless to say I didn't hold on as hard after that.:)
Darrell.

mirrorimage
06-19-2007, 03:33 PM
i cheated iused a jig saw... ..damm thats a big transom...

Riverat84
06-20-2007, 08:25 AM
shit guys! damn my transom is only 3/8" thick if that...i dont have holes at all, just ot headers...would you drill outside-in, or inside-out?...idk.
Reid

Mr. Crusader 83
06-20-2007, 08:34 AM
shit guys! damn my transom is only 3/8" thick if that...i dont have holes at all, just ot headers...would you drill outside-in, or inside-out?...idk.
Reid
Install the headers. measure where the tips will be with the headers on from the outside of the boat. Then go get yourself a 4in hole saw, from somewhere like Hub Cunstruction. Silicone it up. and your done.

Screemy1
06-20-2007, 02:25 PM
Reid
I drilled a small pilot hole inside out and then used a 4" hole saw.... drilled from outside in... and when almost through i went to the inside and finished... it was easy.... I used rex flush tips with the no burn flapper.... it lookes great.... but remember to check the clearance of your tansom and back of the engine compartment.... I had to cut a little out to clear the riser on one side....

BrendellaJet
06-20-2007, 02:35 PM
Id do both! With a hole saw you can do that. Get the pilot hole drilled, and tape both sides. start the cut on the inside just to "score" the surface, that will help prevent the wood from splintering(or if its gelled it will help the gell from coming up), then go to the outside and do the same but now finish the entire cut.

Riverat84
06-20-2007, 04:27 PM
alright, great advice!...now i want some headers like the lightning ones....do they make them for the BBF? i heard that if not, there are adapters but i also heard that they're restrictive...so whats the deal? what company is the best all around to work with and where should i get em? is it worth it to get them painted? or leave them black?....jacketed, of course...thanx everyone...
Reid

propduster
06-20-2007, 04:27 PM
I just changed out my tach and speedo to a 5". Used a piece ok plywood for a new pilot hole then used a new sharp hole saw and started the drill in reverse first until I got through the gel and glass. Then forward to finish the cut. Worked great.

Riverat84
06-20-2007, 06:29 PM
I just changed out my tach and speedo to a 5". Used a piece ok plywood for a new pilot hole then used a new sharp hole saw and started the drill in reverse first until I got through the gel and glass. Then forward to finish the cut. Worked great.
hey thats a great idea man....so it wont chip the gel coat all up...welcome propduster!...nice name BTW...go introduce yourself in the sandbar...you'll meet a bunch of ppl real quick man...
Reid

SGV40oz
06-20-2007, 06:42 PM
dont do it. do u really want to have to listen to your chick the whole time ur on the water. what u have is perfect. when you get tired of listening to her just fire it up and give it some juice. problem solved.:idea:

propduster
06-20-2007, 07:24 PM
After I did mine I also thought about using the hole saw size that I need and cut a hole all the way though a piece of thick wood then use that for a guide and not worry about the pilot bit.:idea:

twowheeledfish
06-20-2007, 10:41 PM
Slash cut tips look great on Eliminators!
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e208/twowheeledfish/DSC01965.jpg

Riverat84
06-21-2007, 10:08 AM
Slash cut tips look great on Eliminators!
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e208/twowheeledfish/DSC01965.jpg
dude thats exactly what i want!...is it hard to mate the tips and hoses together? how do you do it? hose clamps or what?
Reid

boater012
06-21-2007, 12:14 PM
Wow nice boat!

dmontzsta
06-21-2007, 12:54 PM
I would not cut holes in the transom if I were you. I would only put TT Headers on a bigger cruiser style hull. Your boat is perfect just the way it is, if you feel the need to throw money at it, make it go faster! :)

BrendellaJet
06-21-2007, 03:33 PM
I would not cut holes in the transom if I were you. I would only put TT Headers on a bigger cruiser style hull. Your boat is perfect just the way it is, if you feel the need to throw money at it, make it go faster! :)
This isn't a bezer, its an eliminator. Cut away! You can always fix it later if you decide you dont like the TT.

Danhercules
06-21-2007, 03:47 PM
alright, great advice!...now i want some headers like the lightning ones....do they make them for the BBF? i heard that if not, there are adapters but i also heard that they're restrictive...so whats the deal? what company is the best all around to work with and where should i get em? is it worth it to get them painted? or leave them black?....jacketed, of course...thanx everyone...
Reid
Go big or go home.
Go grab some new Blue Thunder heads with the Chevy flange, and get some lightnings and then some Gibson mufflers. You will be quiet and fast! :D :)
High Flow Dynamics are working on adapters. I belive they are freeflowing. Contact Lakes Only

bead
06-21-2007, 04:18 PM
hey first off, whoever had their jet boat out at tha parker strip this weekend...they all were nice!...due to trailer tire issues, i could not make it this weekend....however, i was thinking about converting from OT to TT headers on my sled...its a '76 eliminator 19' bubble deck jet...its a BBF w/ bassetts on it right now...i want to grab a good set of water jacketed headers instead of injected ones so just incase, they're warm to the touch, not burning through the skin...what headers will work and what kind of tubes will i need to take it from the header to the transom...and i want some sick ass looking tips, no flaps...i also would like someone ELSE to cut the big ass holes in the back of my boat cuz i dont trust myself haha!...let me know about my options people, and thanx for the future advise! here's a pic...
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/3267IMG_9097.JPGhey W.Mitchel had a set of O.T. lighting headers for sale on the spam section. water jacketed headers. see if they are still for sale .

wmitchell
06-21-2007, 04:27 PM
They are bassett water jacketed headers, would be OT in that boat... and yes they are still for sale

Riverat84
06-21-2007, 06:08 PM
They are bassett water jacketed headers, would be OT in that boat... and yes they are still for sale
wait....OT jacketed headers? i didnt think those existed...i always thought anything OT was just injected...if so, im HELLA interested! i dont like hott headers cuz i like swimming off the boat alot...PM me your price...or ill just try to fine the thread.
Reid

dmontzsta
06-22-2007, 10:25 AM
This isn't a bezer, its an eliminator. Cut away! You can always fix it later if you decide you dont like the TT.
PLEASE! :rolleyes: :)

billet racing 1
06-23-2007, 09:09 PM
Hey Riverrat84. were you at the Eliminator Regatta a few years back. I do remember that boat.
And I'm with you. Drilling any holes in a boat is touph. For years I ran with only a Tach, no gauges. Did not want to cut the holes. Now I have them all cut, and switche to a twin turbo set up. No where to cut for all the gauges. boost, pyrometer, exhaust pressure.
Jerry

1968Droptop
06-24-2007, 01:36 PM
dude thats exactly what i want!...is it hard to mate the tips and hoses together? how do you do it? hose clamps or what?
Dana Marine (www.danamarineproducts.com) makes some REAL NICE T/T tips. Polished s/s, angle cut or striaght cut, with internal s/s flaps. Like $100 each. I just put them on my boat (already had TT exhaust), they look sick !!! VERY VERY nice pieces.
You can indeed get Lightning Jacketed headers for your BBF. http://www.boatheaders.com/headers.htm.
Hooking them up is not that hard, just a matter of getting the 4" hose to bend a little.
Check out the pix in my post, http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154911. I had my jacketed headers painted to match my boat. You can also see the Dana tips.

HotDogz
06-24-2007, 03:30 PM
Maybe some Bassett TT Tri-Y's and Rex Marine 4" tips with supuerflappers.
http://www.bassettracing.com/images/newpag11.jpghttp://www.rexmar.com/images/page230.jpg

LakesOnly
06-24-2007, 04:58 PM
High Flow Dynamics are working on adapters. I belive they are freeflowing. Contact LakesOnly
We are not making header adaptors for this application but can get them for you through Evans Racing Engines. I feel that their adaptor is superior to the one that the other guys offer...less restrictive, lower price.
LO

Riverat84
06-24-2007, 09:54 PM
ahh hey guys thanx alot for all the advice, and links...i didnt know that lightning made them for fords...i appreciate it!!!!
Reid

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
06-24-2007, 10:30 PM
Go big or go home.
Go grab some new Blue Thunder heads with the Chevy flange, and get some lightnings and then some Gibson mufflers. You will be quiet and fast! :D :)
High Flow Dynamics are working on adapters. I belive they are freeflowing. Contact Lakes Only
hey Dan, if fords are oh so great then why the hell do they use chevy's exhaust:idea: :D Dont mind me, Im just stirring the pot :D

dmontzsta
06-25-2007, 06:31 AM
hey Dan, if fords are oh so great then why the hell do they use chevy's exhaust:idea: :D Dont mind me, Im just stirring the pot :D
Unfortunately, alot of people have been snowed over with chevys, so there is alot of exhaust available for them. Just like honda civics, alot of people drive them and there is alot of parts. :)