PDA

View Full Version : I think I tore a calf muscle :(

DILLIGAF
06-19-2007, 05:54 AM
Anybody else do this? I was running around the bases last night in our softball game when I heard/felt a pop in the calf area. I was done as far as running, etc, It is painful to walk and it is very, very sore this AM. Never had this happen before and am just looking for a little advice from someone that this has happened to before. What did you have to do for it to get better? It is not the achilles but in the calf area....
Thanks

ahhell
06-19-2007, 05:59 AM
Damm...you must be gettin old:D
can you point your toes down? hopefully wasnt the achilles:(
Do you play behind the High school? We had 2 teams out last night

shadow
06-19-2007, 06:00 AM
Anybody else do this? I was running around the bases last night in our softball game when I heard/felt a pop in the calf area. I was done as far as running, etc, It is painful to walk and it is very, very sore this AM. Never had this happen before and am just looking for a little advice from someone that this has happened to before. What did you have to do for it to get better? It is not the achilles but in the calf area....
Thanks
Old age Tom!I don't think anyone around here is as old as you so no one would know about that.:D
Just kidding,hope you didn't mess yourself up.Sounds like you might have pulled a muscle.

bohica
06-19-2007, 06:01 AM
I had a buddy rupture his calf muscle the other weekend at the sand bar. Stepped off the front of my deckboat into a foot of water and the next thing you know, he's in terrible pain. I dropped him off at the Havasu ER where they did x-rays. They iced it up, wrapped it and off he went on crutches. He went to his Dr. here in LA and they did an MRI. They said if he was a million dollar athlete, they would do surgery for faster healing, but since he's not, six weeks on crutches will do.

THOR
06-19-2007, 06:01 AM
Tom,
did it feel like somebody hit you in the back of the leg?
If you can still walk, it is just a partial tear. Ice, ice, ice.

Cigalert
06-19-2007, 06:03 AM
You have to also think of the possilbility it's a tendon issue. Do you stretch before participating the said softball activities? Did you warm up, run down to first, walk it off, hug it out?
Stretching after the injury can help. Lay on your back, hold your leg straight, perpendicular with the floor and have someone (preferably female) press on the ball of your foot stretching your calf. Start off gently and release. The next go around of pressure try resisting the pressure by pressing back and then relax...you should feel your flexibility increasing. Repeat this everyday for a week and then report back to me.
Or go get a rub-n-tug, a few shots of whiskey and some vicodin and sit in the hot tub for about 3 hours. You'll feel like Rocky.

Jetboatguru
06-19-2007, 06:05 AM
Thanks
I have torn my calf muscle playing softball. I was pitching on a cold night and I was was on the mound waiting for the catcher to throw me the ball after a pitch when I felt a snap. I thought somebody had thrown a ball from the outfield and it hit me in the calf so I turned around a looked for the ball. Everyone on the field wondered what I was looking for. It was my calf muscle tearing. It is gonna get purple down in your ankle and there will be severe edema. They don't heal in a hurry. You are looking at months. Sorry to hear this.

Jetboatguru
06-19-2007, 06:10 AM
Dont start stretching it now. Go get some crutches and some anti inflammatorys. Stay off it and ice it. If you felt a pop, you tore it.

DILLIGAF
06-19-2007, 06:12 AM
DAMN! Not the achilles....it is much higher up on the calf. Ya, I know I am getting older and SHIT! lol I don't know how I am going to handle the 29 out at Parker this weekend as I won't/can't be moving very fast.
I was feeling good at the game and hit a triple earlier. Hit a double when this happened as I was reaching 2nd the pop occured.
I did look it up on the internet and it said 4-6 weeks of recovery :( The game was played out in Chino, CA.
FOCK, FOCK, FOCK!
I guess I will take 6 advils before I jump in the truck to drive out to BH today......
Did I say FOCK, FOCK, FOCK already
Stretching, ice and advils it will be. Thanks everybody.

Havasu Luvr
06-19-2007, 06:13 AM
Hey Tom, I've done the same thing playing city softball (coed) rounding 3rd base and POP in the left calf. Instant swelling and extreme pain. Turned out I severed my plantera muscle like a rubber band. Dr. say no need for surgery, it's a muscle we dont need in the human body..... I lived:D

DILLIGAF
06-19-2007, 06:16 AM
Hey Tom, I've done the same thing playing city softball (coed) rounding 3rd base and POP in the left calf. Instant swelling and extreme pain. Turned out I severed my plantera muscle like a rubber band. Dr. say no need for surgery, it's a muscle we dont need in the human body..... I lived:D
:(
It was a very distinct pop. Oh well......

DILLIGAF
06-19-2007, 06:17 AM
Dont start stretching it now. Go get some crutches and some anti inflammatorys. Stay off it and ice it. If you felt a pop, you tore it.
Thanks....I did try to stretch it a bit and it just ending up hurting worse than before. Crutches at the river for me this weekend :(

DILLIGAF
06-19-2007, 06:19 AM
You have to also think of the possilbility it's a tendon issue. Do you stretch before participating the said softball activities? Did you warm up, run down to first, walk it off, hug it out?
Stretching after the injury can help. Lay on your back, hold your leg straight, perpendicular with the floor and have someone (preferably female) press on the ball of your foot stretching your calf. Start off gently and release. The next go around of pressure try resisting the pressure by pressing back and then relax...you should feel your flexibility increasing. Repeat this everyday for a week and then report back to me.
Or go get a rub-n-tug, a few shots of whiskey and some vicodin and sit in the hot tub for about 3 hours. You'll feel like Rocky.
Sounds like a pretty good start. When I get to BH I will do the hot tub thing along with the whiskey :)

lucky
06-19-2007, 06:21 AM
I walk every night and several nights ago i developed a "charlie horse" ! On saturdays i play Handball and half way threw i did the same exsact thing . My friend heard the pop from several feet away ! Its getting better but everytime i sit it stiffens up ! takes about 5 minutes to streatch back out !:D
Thanks

DILLIGAF
06-19-2007, 06:25 AM
Tom,
did it feel like somebody hit you in the back of the leg?
If you can still walk, it is just a partial tear. Ice, ice, ice.
Barely walk, it can be done but I look silly...and shit :)
Ya, just like someone hit me in the back of the leg....

DILLIGAF
06-19-2007, 06:26 AM
Old age Tom!I don't think anyone around here is as old as you so no one would know about that.:D
What about Nodigg :)

DILLIGAF
06-19-2007, 06:28 AM
can you point your toes down? hopefully wasnt the achilles:( Do you play behind the High school? We had 2 teams out last night
Yes, I can point the toes down pain free. Only hurts when I pull the toes up or put weight on the foot. The game was out here in S CA.

phebus
06-19-2007, 06:32 AM
Cut the sucker off, and buy a parrot. Chicks dig it:
http://www.peglegpirate.org/pegpeg-header-left.jpg

dmontzsta
06-19-2007, 07:11 AM
Sucks getting old huh?
Do you think the clippers will win a championship before you die? :D

Jordy
06-19-2007, 07:14 AM
Damn, that sucks Tom... :(
Then again, you gotta look on the bright side, at least it wasn't your hip!!! :D :D :D

DILLIGAF
06-19-2007, 02:06 PM
Fockers!
lol
I am thinking of going with Phebus' idea :)
Sitting here with ice on it and there is no bruising by the ankle. I am thinking at this point that it is a pull with a possible small tear. Driving out here from the IE to BH was fine until I got out of the friggin' truck.
Anyhow....Hoping this ice helps out and it does seem to be making it feel better.
Now....what is the best way to get a bunch of duct tape off of a hairy leg? lol

Tremor Therapy
06-19-2007, 02:22 PM
I have a very similar story....playing softball, rounding second, and it was like someone hit me in the back of the right calf...right in the middle of the muscle. I was done for the season, and it was about 2-3 weeks before I could walk normally. I did just what the doc ordered...iced it down, took my Advil's, and stretched. I went out 6 weeks later to try and play, and re-tore it running to first...DAMN!
I hope yours is not too bad, because mine has healed into a knot in my right calf. Do what the doctor says, and let it heal correctly!

Tremor Therapy
06-19-2007, 02:23 PM
I have a very similar story....playing softball, rounding second, and it was like someone hit me in the back of the right calf...right in the middle of the muscle. I was done for the season, and it was about 2-3 weeks before I could walk normally. I did just what the doc ordered...iced it down, took my Advil's, and stretched. I went out 6 weeks later to try and play, and re-tore it running to first...DAMN!
I hope yours is not too bad, because mine has healed into a knot in my right calf. Do what the doctor says, and let it heal correctly!

Thorsinc
06-19-2007, 02:29 PM
Here is a thoughtÂ… Go to the Dr. At least if he tells you what you already know you could get some good drugs out it:) . We are all psychologist, marriage, drug counselors on HB not medical Dr.

Murray PE 857
06-19-2007, 02:41 PM
I feel your pain, man. I ruptured me Achilles a month ago and have been through it. I slipped off my boat fender with one foot and put all my weight on the ball of the other foot and "POP" there went the tendon. You might want to check w/ a Dr. to make sure its not your Achilles. I have swelling and brusing in my calf and ankle area. One way you can tell is the "Thompson test", lie down on your belly and dangle just your feet off the edge of the bed, have someone squeeze your calf muscle and if your foot doesn't contract it is the Achilles. Check both legs and see the difference. Good luck.

Baja Big Dog
06-19-2007, 02:57 PM
Go to Garden Grove...get a massage...yea yea yea and the happy ending will cure all tht ill's you!!!:D

DILLIGAF
06-19-2007, 03:01 PM
I am out in BH now....If I go into the emergency room they might cut off the leg :)

LuckyStrike
06-19-2007, 03:04 PM
I am out in BH now....If I go into the emergency room they might cut off the leg :)
Tom There is A ( YOU SO BIG YOU COME NOW ) Joint in South BH city look in yellow pages under Messages:D

DILLIGAF
06-19-2007, 03:08 PM
Tom There is A ( YOU SO BIG YOU COME NOW ) Joint in South BH city look in yellow pages under Messages:D
lol......I will wait for my girl to get out here tomorrow. She will make me feel A LOT better :)

LuckyStrike
06-19-2007, 03:09 PM
lol......I will wait for my girl to get out here tomorrow. She will make me feel A LOT better :)
Hope You Feel Better:)

DILLIGAF
06-19-2007, 03:18 PM
Hope You Feel Better:)
Thanks...I appreciate it. Took the ice off and it is feeling better. The duct tape situation made me feel some pain....lol

clownpuncher
06-19-2007, 05:58 PM
Thanks
I did the same thing a few years back. Running from second to third, I felt someone throw a ball at my calf. Turns out it wasn't a ball at all, five seconds later I couldn't walk and it hurt like a mofo.
Some anti-imflamitories and pain killers for a few day.
It'll heal.

Mrs. 4-B
06-19-2007, 06:23 PM
I have torn my calf muscle playing softball. I was pitching on a cold night and I was was on the mound waiting for the catcher to throw me the ball after a pitch when I felt a snap. I thought somebody had thrown a ball from the outfield and it hit me in the calf so I turned around a looked for the ball. Everyone on the field wondered what I was looking for. It was my calf muscle tearing. It is gonna get purple down in your ankle and there will be severe edema. They don't heal in a hurry. You are looking at months. Sorry to hear this.
I have done the same thing and yes, my ankle turned purple as the blood pooled in the inside of my right foot (actualy tore the calf muscle). Re-injured it trying to go back to working out too soon. Everyone is right...let it heal all the way before trying anything serious on it or you'll be back to square one! RICE...

DILLIGAF
06-20-2007, 04:24 PM
I did the same thing a few years back. Running from second to third, I felt someone throw a ball at my calf. Turns out it wasn't a ball at all, five seconds later I couldn't walk and it hurt like a mofo.
Some anti-imflamitories and pain killers for a few day.
It'll heal.
Excellant advice and that is what I have been doing. The ice really helps a lot and along with the advils it is slowly getting back to normal. Never did get the blood accumulating by the ankle so it must have been a strain/pull and no tear. Still makes me wonder about the pop sound I heard and felt. I am hoping by tomorrow or Friday at the latest the limping will be all gone. At least I can hope :)
Thanks for the advice everybody.

BajaMike
06-21-2007, 07:31 AM
Excellant advice and that is what I have been doing. The ice really helps a lot and along with the advils it is slowly getting back to normal. Never did get the blood accumulating by the ankle so it must have been a strain/pull and no tear. Still makes me wonder about the pop sound I heard and felt. I am hoping by tomorrow or Friday at the latest the limping will be all gone. At least I can hope :)
Thanks for the advice everybody.
Tom, since you are out of commission, you should probably let me take care of your boat and your g/f.........j/k.:D
Hope you're doing better. Seriously, if you need help, I'll come out and drive and boat bitch for you.....:idea:

DILLIGAF
06-21-2007, 12:12 PM
Tom, since you are out of commission, you should probably let me take care of your boat and your g/f.........j/k.:D
Hope you're doing better. Seriously, if you need help, I'll come out and drive and boat bitch for you.....:idea:
Thanks Mike. The limp is almost gone and the ice has been working very well. Still can't believe how fast this damn thing is coming back.
I got it covered this weekend as far as a BB goes but you have to come out to BH soon. Trying to get Terry to come out in August but he never committs. Oh well............

AirtimeLavey
06-21-2007, 01:38 PM
Or worse, they might cut off the wrong one! :eek:
Rest is a good thing, and start PT soon (not right away). Sounds like it's already feeling better. Don't rush it or it could take you down longer. I f-ing hate little nuisance injuries that slow me down from playing. Just have to wait it out. Hope it heals quick. :D
Look on the bright side, a buddy of mine popped his achillies and had been out almost a year! :eek: