PDA

View Full Version : 2004, 24' Stealth Steering Wheel Question

Captain Dan
06-19-2007, 07:48 AM
Steering wheel feels loose - it's the stock "tilt" type of wheel, but it's not the tilt mechanism that feels loose - it feels loose at teh center of the wheel. I imagine there is a nut under the center cap - does that center cap pry off with a screwdriver? I don't want to bung up the edges on it.......

shippingguy
06-19-2007, 08:31 AM
Steering wheel feels loose - it's the stock "tilt" type of wheel, but it's not the tilt mechanism that feels loose - it feels loose at teh center of the wheel. I imagine there is a nut under the center cap - does that center cap pry off with a screwdriver? I don't want to bung up the edges on it.......
You do not need to pry the cap off. Just take off the allen bolts that hold the wheel. When you pull the steering wheel off the center cap is loose it will just fall off. I doubt the nut is loose, but worth a try. There is always going to be some play in the steering wheel/hub assembly.
Mike

Captain Dan
06-19-2007, 08:44 AM
thanks , I'll give that a try.
it feels like it has a little more play than it should, (and more than it had when it was new).

shippingguy
06-19-2007, 08:54 AM
thanks , I'll give that a try.
it feels like it has a little more play than it should, (and more than it had when it was new).
No problem. Check the nut on the hub assembly and then pull the panel off the back of the dash and check to make sure everything is tight back there. You may find a couple of those allen screws holding the wheel on were a bit loose.

thumbs
06-19-2007, 08:59 AM
I have the same problem with my 23xs but don't have a tilt wheel. I taken a peek behind the wheel but can find anything loose. I'll give Mike's suggestion a try.

ULTRA28
06-19-2007, 11:38 AM
It shouldn't be coming loose. Those hubs go on pretty tight. We need a puller just to get them off. The nut is a lock nut, so it shouldn't back off. I would think it is the tilt mechanism going out on it.

Captain Dan
06-19-2007, 12:03 PM
Thanks John - I'll have a closer look at it per what Mike said and report back.

Outnumbered
06-22-2007, 01:15 AM
My 2004 24 Stealth did the same thing. I pulled it apart at the hub and found nothnig loose. I think the play is in the steering rack/cable dealio behind the dash. I sold it like that and the guy never had a problem with it.

Captain Dan
06-25-2007, 04:25 PM
My 2004 24 Stealth did the same thing. I pulled it apart at the hub and found nothnig loose. I think the play is in the steering rack/cable dealio behind the dash. I sold it like that and the guy never had a problem with it.
I had a closer look over the weekend, it's not the wheel, it's in the tilt mechanism. Hell, maybe it's been that way from day one and I never really noticed it. I would just hate to have it come off in my hands. It's probably OK as it sits....

KineticoH20
06-26-2007, 04:33 PM
Mine is loose also! but I think it is just the natural play in th assemblies.