PDA

View Full Version : msd 6al kill switch ?

hondoh
06-19-2007, 07:55 AM
What is the correct way to install a kill switch when you are using a MSD 6al box ? Thanks.

LeE ss13
06-19-2007, 12:46 PM
If there is anyway you can remove all power from the unit if you get pitched out, find it. I crashed in a race once with MSD 6al unit with a different kind of kill switch and it smoked it immediately when the back end of the boat sank. I took it back to the dealer, he looked at it and said, "This got wet didn't it?". My $.02

wsuwrhr
06-19-2007, 01:09 PM
Can't a Mercuring racing kill switch be hooked up to the red power lead to the box?
Brian

LeE ss13
06-19-2007, 01:43 PM
Yea ... but they are only 14 guage wires or so. Because of that a lot of guys like to run 10 guage wire where ever possible. I finally used one but the small gauge wire is as short as possible with 10 gauge running the distances. Seems OK.

Itsahobby
06-19-2007, 03:06 PM
Got this from the MSD tech Forum:
Make Sure You Connect Both The Heavy Red And Black Directly To The Battery. If You Are Using The Magnetic Pick Up To Trigger The Box Grounding The White Wire Will Cause The Engine To Shut Down. If You Are Using The White Wire To Trigger The Box Grounding The Violet Wire Will Cause The Engine To Shut Down Or Not Start.

bordsmnj
06-19-2007, 03:32 PM
i'd just put it in series with the key switch. the wire is allready all the way to the dash and back and it works now doesn't it?9not meaning to sound like a dick although it kinda reads that way. i'm no writer,lol.) not much current involved there to be worried about wire size. it gets the most power from that fat red lead that goes to the battery. .02-jas