PDA

View Full Version : CA Boat Tax

H20Advantage
06-19-2007, 06:15 PM
This question came up from a friend and I know we have talked about it on here in the past but I can't find it during a search inquiry.
With AZ changing non-resident fees to $292 a year would it be cheaper to register a boat in CA (with the yearly luxury tax included) back in CA on a boat that is two years old and cost over $100K.
The registration fee every two years in CA is about $20. I don't know what the base number of the tax percentage is and if it would be cheaper now if the boat is a couple of years old.
Any tax gurus out there?

River918
06-19-2007, 06:24 PM
It's 1%...

H20Advantage
06-19-2007, 06:31 PM
It's 1%...
Thanks but do you know if you were to change registration from AZ to CA is it1% of original purchase price or would it be say current bluebook prices?
and by the way congrats on the sale of yours..

DMOORE
06-19-2007, 06:39 PM
Current value.
Darrell.

Kilrtoy
06-19-2007, 06:44 PM
That would be 1000 a year in cali
compared to az at
292 a year

H20Advantage
06-19-2007, 06:49 PM
Thanks guys... it still pisses me off that the fees are jacked up so high in AZ expecially since my friend and I both have homes there and pay other taxes.
I do know what the money is used for but the nonresident fees still seem kinda high but remain cheaper than in the nation of CA...:D

SK48
06-19-2007, 07:12 PM
Register the boat in Calif. , and store it or use it in Az. If you can prove that you do not use the boat in Ca. they will not charge you the luxery tax. It took a few letters, but when I lived in orange county and kept my boat at the river I did not have to pay the tax.
Insurance is cheaper in Ca. than AZ. on most performance boats.

C-2
06-19-2007, 07:20 PM
It's PERSONAL PROPERTY TAX, or "unsecured" property tax. 1.1%, the same rate as most unsecured business taxes. State tax but administered via each county. The luxury tax was repealed years ago.
Even with the increase in fees, it's still cheaper to register in AZ. Plus, you don't have to worry aboyt the nightmare of them filing a lien in error, and then trying to get it removed from your credit report.
But once they have their meathooks in you...they never wanna let go.:mad:

Baja Big Dog
06-19-2007, 08:56 PM
It does suck that you own a home in AZ, and pay the taxes, but you have to pay non resident to register a boat....it sucks.:mad: