PDA

View Full Version : Radiator Temp

VDRIVERACING
06-19-2007, 06:32 PM
2004 tahoe 5.3... considering a 160 thermostat to cool the whole mess down. Anyone tried that? Experiences?

dc96819
06-20-2007, 09:37 PM
Also 1/2 coolant 1/2 dist water with water wetter makes a difference.
With the 160 stat i have my e fans turn on at 180.

bikerboater
06-30-2007, 10:53 AM
My experiance has been that a cooler thermostat does nothing for an overheating problem. I tried it on my old Dodge Motorhome w/a360. Sure, it took longer to heat up in cool weather but on a hot day ,interstate driving, it climbed right back up. Most newer vehicles will actually run worse since it throws off all the temp sensors for the computer. Straight water with the water wetter did help. I learned that antifreeze doesn't conduct heat as well as straight water and will run hotter. Just gotta remember to put it back in before Winter.

Beer-30
06-30-2007, 11:02 AM
Is there actually a heating problem? or are you just looking for cooler temps for possible performance gain?
For performance, you would want to re-program with a programmer that works with lower temp therm.
If there is a heating problem, the therm probably won't fix it. If it overheats with a 195 in it - it will overheat with a 160. If the thermostat is sticking closed, then it is to blame, but I would only replace with another 195.
If it overheats while idling, it is airflow at idle and/or partially plugged radiator. If it is overheating while driving down the freeway, it is plugged radiator - probably both inside and out front.
What year and mileage?

VDRIVERACING
07-04-2007, 09:41 AM
2004 Tahoe, 5.3, 4WD, 3.73, about 45,000 miles.
I do not have an over-heating problem. I also understand that making changes of this kind require changing fan settings ( I have a Predator tuner). My engine stays at 210 degrees in summer desert towing my boat, just as easily as it does cruising along the beach in December.
1. I am trying to find performance for towing.
2. Many in the Corvette crowd believe the extra hot engine compartment reduces the lifespan of various components, plastic, etc., and that best power is found in the 180-190 degree range.
NASCAR guys will tell you heat(in the cylinder) makes horsepower, but it ruins a whole lot of other things. Also, NASCAR car pull in cold air for the induction, whereas most street vehicles are stuck with whatever the temp is in the engine compartment...

Beer-30
07-04-2007, 09:50 AM
Ok. Good. No heating problem.
I think the performance from just cooling the engine down a little and reprogramming for more timing would be negligible. Plus, running the timing up to max (to take advantage of the cooler cylinder heads) will require 92 octane.
If you did this in conjunction with a cam swap, ported heads and intake, I could see it being a viable component of a larger package. Or, supercharging, similarly.
By itself, I don't think you would notice anything. It would be only a few HP by itself.
As far as underhood stuff: My '98 Vortec 454 has the same 195* thermostat that came in it. 82,000 miles later, nothing under the hood is cooked. --Occasional spark plug wire boots between two header tubes notwithstanding.:)

DUCKY
07-10-2007, 06:54 PM
Many functions of the computer rely on the info provided by the coolant temp sensor. The truck probably has a 205 t-stat (or something like that, It might have a 195), and cutting back to a 160 will most likely set off an SES lite. I would check with the maker of your tuner and see what they recommend, but I think a 190 would be a better choice. I certainly wouldn't go colder than a 180. Also keep in mind that a cooler t-stat and engine temp will cost you fuel mileage.