PDA

View Full Version : Blown Head Gasket - ARRGHH!!!

goneboatin
06-20-2007, 06:21 AM
My truck just turned 100,000 miles a few weeks ago. At about 97,000 I had the hoses and belts changed, new plugs and new wires installed, the trans fluid flushed, pan dropped and change out the filter, flush out the rear end and replace the axle lube, flush out the brake system, replace the brake fluid, the power steering fluid, an oil and filter change, and check for any signs of future problems so I can get the warranty to pick it up. Everything checked out OK - the bill $2500! But that should hold me for another 75 - 100,000 miles.
Well, last Wednesday I took my truck to Chevy for an oil change with 101,600 miles. I said I'd wait in the "lounge". The service writer came over to me about 20 minutes later and told me that I've got a leaky head gasket. 1600 miles past the warranty and this happens?! This is BS! He took me over to my truck and showed me the oil had a slightly creamy look, it was still dark brown / black, but it had that opaque look to it, and the oil fill cap had a creamy rusty residue inside of it. I'm pissed, I've never let this thing overheat or even get past the 210 degree mark on the guage. The mechanic told me that GM has had problems with the head bolts stretching. It seems to me that those head bolts are substandard for this specified use.
The service manager called GMPP and basicly they said that that they picked up a lot of items during the warranty period, so I'm on my own.
Hello? Why did I get the extended warranty? Maybe if GM made better quality vehicles like my wife's Lexus, I wouldn't need to use the extended warranty!
After I calmed down I asked the service manager how much to pull the heads and replace the gaskets. He told me since the heads are aluminum they will need to be sent out to make sure they haven't warped. If they have warped too much, they become paper weights, otherwise they'll do a valve job, including replacing of the seals and guides. The price $1800.
When I got home and looked under the hood, on the right side of the engine at the exhaust manifold between cylinders 4 and 6 where the two manifold bolts are close together - the exhaust manifold is broken between those bolts. The price $200. I know that didn't happen after the 100,000 mile mark.
I already put a new windsheild it it 2 weeks ago and haven't even gotten the bill for that yet.
GM has sure done their homework to make sure that when the warranty goes out, the vehicle self destructs. It's been a good truck since before this happened, but if the head bolts are substandard, what else is substandard? I'm not going to drive across 200 miles of desert towing a boat knowing that this thing could take a sh!t at anytime leaving me and my family stranded out in BFE.
I think it's time to look for another truck. Dodges are out and I just can't get past the look of the new Ford Super Dutys. The Chevy HDs are butt ugly - the GMC seems to be the lesser of the evils.

Baja Big Dog
06-20-2007, 06:31 AM
Dude...
Stretched head bolts would cause the problem, if GM has issues with this problem (another sweep it under the rug problems) I would pursue it with them and work out a compromise. It cant hurt.
What motor is it?
Get some of the GM service guys here to research the shop notes for this problem. I'm sure your local dealer wont give you much information. In the manufactures eyes its OK to make you pay a $3000 bullet because the thing is 1600 miles out of warranty.
Timing is everything.

RaceFace
06-20-2007, 06:35 AM
What year truck and which motor? I just turned 104k on my 2001 Yukon XL with the 5.3 motor. I changed plugs in it last week and they all looked perfect.....for now. I hope it doesnt start falling apart......

73kona455
06-20-2007, 06:41 AM
what year is the truck?.. does it have a plastic intake?
those have been known to start leaking.. may not be a head gasket...

RitcheyRch
06-20-2007, 07:01 AM
That sucks. Am actually surprised that GM not going to help you out since you seem to have taken care of the vehicle at their overpriced dealerships.

goneboatin
06-20-2007, 07:10 AM
What year truck and which motor? I just turned 104k on my 2001 Yukon XL with the 5.3 motor. I changed plugs in it last week and they all looked perfect.....for now. I hope it doesnt start falling apart......
My truck is an '04 2500 non HD (same as a 1500HD) with the 6.0 engine. If it was the intake manifold I'd have water in the combustion chambers and have a cloud of steam following me. I don't think there are any water passages in the plastic manifolds.

goneboatin
06-20-2007, 09:54 PM
Truck's gone! Went out and pulled the trigger on a new GMC 2500HD crew cab. I got the 6.0 again - it's either that or the D-Max, I just couldn't justify another $8,000 for the Dmax/Allison setup. My boat only weighs about 5000 lbs. Besides work pays for my gas. I only pay when I go to the river or take time off.
I got all the goodies minus the nav, and sunroof for under $36,000. I got to keep the 20" Welds and new tires off my old truck. It's just hard remembering that I need a much wider area to swing for a turn since my last truck had the Quadrasteer. Hopefully this one won't self destruct at 100k like the other one.

Saab
06-20-2007, 10:05 PM
shoulda got the diesel, better mpg when towing, way more power... another 8k on top wouldlnt make much diff on a payment... and the duramax/allison is a way stronger drivetrain. Anyway grats on the new truck.... where did ya get it?

VanDeano
06-20-2007, 11:03 PM
Yep, should of got the diesel....on the resell you would of got the 8k back

goneboatin
06-21-2007, 05:28 AM
shoulda got the diesel, better mpg when towing, way more power... another 8k on top wouldlnt make much diff on a payment... and the duramax/allison is a way stronger drivetrain. Anyway grats on the new truck.... where did ya get it?
I really wanted the diesel, the one I drove really hauled ass, but my towing needs don't require that hellacious amount of torque. I tow my boat about 3 times a year otherwise it sits in a storage building at the river. The cost of maintenance was another issue, 16 quarts of oil at oil changes, water / fuel separter filters, more stringent emission laws, etc. - I know, I'm making excuses.
I bought it at Thorson in Pasadena. I hit Jay up, but he's a Chevy guy. He did give me a number of a GMC counterpart, but I didn't get the call back in time. Thorson was great, no BS, Nick Borrelli showed me the cost of the truck, retail, invoice, what the dealer pays for it, he gave me disounts that I didn't know were available. If you want an easy way to buy a truck, He's your guy.
Oh, stay away from any of the Rio Rancho dealerships in Pomona, especially the Rio Rancho GMC dealership. Their introduction always includes, "What kind of payment are you looking at..?" I sat for better than an hour waiting for them to tell me that they weren't going to give me anything for my truck and that they'd sell me their truck for sticker minus the $500 rebate that was painted on the window as I walked out. F... those guys!

RitcheyRch
06-21-2007, 06:26 AM
Congrats on the new truck.