PDA

View Full Version : Family sues city again

hava life
06-20-2007, 06:48 AM
In todays paper Lake Havasu is being sued again for the negligent death of a families 10 year old son? The paper is stating that the family would accept 2 million as full settlement. I can not understand how people beleive they have no responsability for the safety of their family. How can a family sleep when they are suing because the personnel testing for carbon monoxide at the time wer OK level. I guess that the city needs to be a full time baby sitter for anyone that goes outside their room or enters the city. In my opinion if you go out with people you need to take responsability and keep an eye on the people in your group. It is sad that the people lost their child but why sue :mad: This is not the only time this has happened I know. I am sad for their loss but it is going to really effect all of us who go out to have a good time.

Havasu_Dreamin
06-20-2007, 06:51 AM
Sad situation, definitely. Was the City negligent, based on the newspaper article stating that the levels were ok one would think not.....

MRS FLYIN VEE
06-20-2007, 06:52 AM
Prayers to the family.
was the death do to carbon monoxide? If so how can they sue.. Can't they be held resposible in the death do to Child neglect or endangerment.

Havasu_Dreamin
06-20-2007, 06:56 AM
was the death do to carbon monoxide? If so how can they sue..
Yes...
Reprinted without the permissioin of Todays News Herald
Family of drowning victim sues city
By DAVID BELL
Tuesday, June 19, 2007 10:17 PM MST
The family of a 10-year-old boy who drowned in the Bridgewater Channel last summer has filed suit against Lake Havasu City.
In a June 12 filing in U.S. District Court for Arizona, Louis Patin and Erica Honore claim the city failed to take the proper steps to warn tourists in the Bridgewater Channel of the dangers of carbon monoxide. The result, the filing said, was the negligent death of their child, Austin Tyler Patin.
In a notice of claim received by the city on Dec. 13, 2006, Louis Patin and Honore said they would accept $2 million as full and final settlement. The city did not respond to the notice of claim.
Austin Patin was reported missing shortly after 3 p.m., June 17, 2006. He was last seen in the water near his family's boat, beached on the south Channel's mainland side, near the Thompson Bay inlet.
Police officers, assisted by members of the Community Emergency Response Team, began to search the surrounding area while two officers donned scuba tanks and began a methodical underwater search of the Channel bed.
The body was recovered in about 10 feet of water, about 20 feet from shore, at about 5:45 p.m.
Personnel testing the area for carbon monoxide that day told Today's News-Herald that conditions were “OK” just before the call for the missing child.
The suit said the city encouraged tourist use of the Channel even after knowing there was a severe health hazard from high levels of carbon monoxide.
The notice of claim said a toxicology report showed a 19 percent carboxhemoglobin level in Austin Patin's blood at the time of his death. His parents said carbon monoxide poisoning contributed to the boy's drowning.
The Mohave County Medical Examiner's office refused Tuesday to release the autopsy results showing cause of death, even after a recent opinion by the county Attorney's office that autopsy results are public record.
On Dec. 19, 2006, Special Deputy County Attorney Bill Ekstrom told the Board of Supervisors the reports could not be withheld by the medical examiner. Ekstrom could not be reached for comment Tuesday.
Calls to Lake Havasu City Attorney Paul Lenkowsky and Mark Jewett, attorney for Louis Patin and Honore, were not returned.
Two other civil cases have been brought against the city over deaths involving carbon monoxide, with the city prevailing in both instances.
On Dec. 7, 2006, a U.S. District Court jury unanimously ruled that the city was not liable in the Sept. 1, 2003, death of Eugene Heck, 26, of Fontana, Calif. The jury also ruled that carbon monoxide was not the cause of death.
On May 25, Mohave County Superior Court Judge James Chavez granted the city's motion for summary judgment to dismiss the case brought by the family of Mark Tostado, 31, of Huntington Beach, Calif.
Chavez said a combination of alcohol and carbon monoxide likely killed Tostado on May 25, 2003, but Lake Havasu City was immune from guilt because of “legislative immunity.”

MRS FLYIN VEE
06-20-2007, 06:59 AM
Thank you..:)

desertbird
06-20-2007, 07:03 AM
...and the big sign on the shorline as you enter the canal, which warns of CO poinsoning is not sufficient? :confused: :confused:
Maybe we should make boat builders put BIG STICKERS all over the boat too! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
I'm sorry for their loss, but his stuff just irritates me. Have some responsibility, and respect for yourself. 2M will consider the case closed? So that is the price, essentially, they put on their son's life.

Baja Big Dog
06-20-2007, 07:24 AM
BLOOD money!!!!!!
This makes me sick.
Id help them greave with the left hand and right hook them to the ground!!

Not So Fast
06-20-2007, 08:00 AM
Ambulance chasers delite, lawyers, yuk :( NSF

havasu5150
06-20-2007, 08:05 AM
IMO Its lawsuits of this nature that prompt action from the city such as the mooring rings on the seawall ( which was being enfroced last weekend by the way) to limit the number of boats in the channel. The city has to show that they are doing something to reduce the carbon monoxcide in the channel. Curious who was watching to kid as he was playing in the water?

meaniam
06-20-2007, 08:11 AM
what the hell was the minor doing near the water without a lifejacket anyways.:mad: i know the lid is 10 but you do need to still watch them and the rules for safe boating should apply here. since it is a high boat traffic area. this single handed all by itself could have saved this kids life C02 poisioning or not. sorry for the loss but people kids should have a life jacket when near water with boats. this is not your backyard pool. it only takes them to hit thier head. get knocked out and they are gone. wake the f@ck up

Wmc
06-20-2007, 08:25 AM
I'm sorry but the channel is no place for a child to be swimming. It is a party place and too much boat traffic. Irresponsible parents.
RIP LIttle Guy!

CarBizIndio
06-20-2007, 08:25 AM
I'm glad to see some one suing the city. I've dealt first hand with the crooked government over there, I'll be happy to see that family end up with the money havasu took from me. The city needs a taste of there own BS.

Quest4Fun
06-20-2007, 08:35 AM
I find the part where the family says they'll just take $2 mil and walk away interesting. Sounds like they don't think they'll win in court so they figure they'll just go for the money up front.
I remember when this happened and the boys family was seen running up and down the shoreline looking for the kid. They didn't even know he had entered the water. They should have been charged with neglect - now they want money for their lack of parenting.:mad:

Miss Perfect
06-20-2007, 08:46 AM
This is nobodys fault except the parents. If the kid would have had a life jacket on, then it would not have happened. Ya, maybe the kid passed out from Carbon monoxide, but it is easier to spot a person in distress if they are floating instead of 10 feet below the surface.
It is a sad deal, but certainly not the fault of the city.

Racey
06-20-2007, 09:05 AM
I think the city should turn around and pressure the DA to press charges on these scumbag parents, if they had of been keeping an eye on their 10 year old kid this never would of happened, I feel sorry for the parents at first, but after saying they'd 'settle' for 2 million it pretty much shows that these are some money thirsty pigs.....

hava life
06-20-2007, 09:05 AM
CarBizIndio I'm glad to see some one suing the city. I've dealt first hand with the crooked government over there, I'll be happy to see that family end up with the money havasu took from me. The city needs a taste of there own BS.
CarBizIndio You are a real piece of Sh#t.
This is only one more of what seems to be a person or parent neglecting others. What should the city do next install fans in case the wind is not blowing to get rid of any fumes:confused: The channel is a nice place to hang out but is everything we do someone else's fault for their mistake. I don't sit in the chanel all day but when it is full of fumes I will leave and go out on the lake.

CarBizIndio
06-20-2007, 09:54 AM
Do you think some thing is going to change after the 20th time I've been told that?

Not So Fast
06-20-2007, 10:00 AM
Do you think some thing is going to change after the 20th time I've been told that?
21st time now !!!! And BTW the city has won both recent cases of being negligent on the matter of CO poisoning being the cause of death, they drowned!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NSF

ratso
06-20-2007, 11:02 AM
Probably not... as Ron White said "You can't fix STUPID" http://www.***boat.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif

Ziggy
06-20-2007, 01:03 PM
I'm glad to see some one suing the city. I've dealt first hand with the crooked government over there, I'll be happy to see that family end up with the money havasu took from me. The city needs a taste of there own BS.
What a tool.:rolleyes:
And I suppose you didn't do anything wrong for them to take your money..:mad:

CarBizIndio
06-20-2007, 01:15 PM
What a tool.:rolleyes:
And I suppose you didn't do anything wrong for them to take your money..:mad:
The only tools are the people who put up with the citys BS like your self.
The only thing I did wrong was be a passenger in a friends truck, truck had less then a gram of pot in the center compartment so the police charged every one in the truck with possession and arrested us all. It wouldnt of happend that way in my city.

Ziggy
06-20-2007, 01:31 PM
The only thing I did wrong was be a passenger in a friends truck, truck had less then a gram of pot in the center compartment so the police charged every one in the truck with possession and arrested us all. It wouldnt of happend that way in my city.
Sounds like you need better friends...or at minimum one that fesses up to being the owner of said drugs so all his buddies don't take the rap for him...
geezus :rolleyes:

CarBizIndio
06-20-2007, 01:35 PM
Sounds like you need better friends...or at minimum one that fesses up to being the owner of said drugs so all his buddies don't take the rap for him...
geezus :rolleyes:
No the police need to do the right thing and arrest the driver/owner of the truck. But the city wont make as much money that way.

ratso
06-20-2007, 01:38 PM
No the police need to do the right thing and arrest the driver/owner of the truck. But the city wont make as much money that way.
...and I'm sure you wasn't a total jerkoff to the cop like you are on here...

Ziggy
06-20-2007, 01:41 PM
They did it right, if they have no way of determining who the owner of the drugs are then its guilt by assossiation.......
And I'm sure Ratso hit it right too.......you should learn that more gets done with sugar than with spice.

YeLLowBoaT
06-20-2007, 01:42 PM
I sad that they lost thier son, but suing over something like this is wrong. Form that artical it really sounds like they did every thing with in reason to find that child safe and sound. I also agree that the parents should have been watching him more closely, none of that matters now.

OverKill
06-20-2007, 01:59 PM
Don't get me wrong here but I do feel government of all levels need a kick in the ass. However if the parents were serious about there kids death, then why not file suit against each and every boater on the channel.
But NOOOOOOO they went for the easy kill and want money from the city. Just makes me sick to think there are people that think the City/Government is a giant piggy bank. In the end it's the honest guy that pay's the bottom dollar.
IMO sounds like the parents are illeagle and doing what they know best. Fraud the giant piggy bank. :eek:

woody56
06-20-2007, 02:14 PM
Do you even think before you post? :mad:

woody56
06-20-2007, 02:17 PM
You have more than one friend?:jawdrop:

woody56
06-20-2007, 02:18 PM

woody56
06-20-2007, 02:18 PM

CarBizIndio
06-20-2007, 02:27 PM
So was the boat registered in CA or AZ? Cause I know in CA they give you stickers that suppose to be mandated to be on display on the ransom and by the wheel warning of carbon monoxide poisoning. So even if their boat wasnt running I still think that shows neglect if the boat is registered in CA and they failed to pay attention to the fact that OTHER boats WERE running around them. Common sense.
As for CarBiz... you are a focking idiot! You really think you wouldnt get busted in MOST municipalities in that situation? Just because they dont do anything in the crap hole of the universe Indio doesnt mean it's not against the law. Wake-up. The universe doesnt revolve around you and your tiny little city.
I didn't have any thing illegal on me and I'm drug free, your dam right I think I shouldn't get busted. Your attitude will change some day when you get screwed over by the police. BTW how's that POS $2000 boat working for you?

CarBizIndio
06-20-2007, 02:37 PM
Ask your wife.

CarBizIndio
06-20-2007, 02:37 PM
and daughter.

woody56
06-20-2007, 02:43 PM
Ask your wife.
I'm not married you dumb SH*t!:jawdrop:

CarBizIndio
06-20-2007, 02:47 PM
I'm not married you dumb SH*t!:jawdrop:
Issues with woman? I understand :rolleyes:

thumbs
06-20-2007, 02:52 PM
I'm sure the city made a lot of money off of your huge pot bust with a street value of.......what about $10.....:sqeyes:
Did you have a tuff night in the Lake Havasu "Big House".......:)

woody56
06-20-2007, 02:55 PM
Issues with woman? I understand :rolleyes:
Only one with your mom, but you know that one already! She just will not stop calling me.:jawdrop:

CarBizIndio
06-20-2007, 02:58 PM
I'm sure the city made a lot of money off of your huge pot bust with a street value of.......what about $10.....:sqeyes:
Did you have a tuff night in the Lake Havasu "Big House".......:)
$1000 fine for each person.
I posted my $1500 bail to get out of there at 4 in the morning. The night would of been great if they put me in the same area as the 2 naked cuties, one girl had a nice rack, I'm sure the cops had a great time booking them.

CarBizIndio
06-20-2007, 03:01 PM
Only one with your mom, but you know that one already! She just will not stop calling me.:jawdrop:
I didn't know people could call from the grave, tell her to give me a call next time you hear from her.

TahitiTiger
06-20-2007, 03:33 PM
...and the big sign on the shorline as you enter the canal, which warns of CO poinsoning is not sufficient? :confused: :confused:
Maybe we should make boat builders put BIG STICKERS all over the boat too! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
I'm sorry for their loss, but his stuff just irritates me. Have some responsibility, and respect for yourself. 2M will consider the case closed? So that is the price, essentially, they put on their son's life.
when I first got my Tahiti and registered it CA sent me stickers to stick on the boat stating that my boat emmits harfull emissions. :p
As for the kid I am sorry for the parents. But the parents have no grounds for there suit. Nothing good can come out of this, and it will most likely force the city to impliment restrictions.

BIGRRNU
06-20-2007, 06:39 PM
21st time now !!!! And BTW the city has won both recent cases of being negligent on the matter of CO poisoning being the cause of death, they drowned!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NSF
I'm in for the 22nd time you Bung Hole!!! What's it take to get someone banned around here anyhow??

CarBizIndio
06-20-2007, 08:04 PM
I'm in for the 22nd time you Bung Hole!!! What's it take to get someone banned around here anyhow??
I guess it takes more profanity and offensive posts then you people can dish out.

MRS FLYIN VEE
06-20-2007, 08:11 PM
in my city if the person it belongs to doesn't man up to it being their's.. Then they all get in trouble. and the owner of the car usually get's it worse.
They impound the vehicle for 30 days.. no gettin it out.

RaceFace
06-20-2007, 08:30 PM
If I got busted for something like that I would be mad yeah, But I would understand that THAT'S THE LAW! I know which of my friends smoke and which dont. if I get into one of their cars I ask them if they have any and they all know the situation. Plus I know my friends are all good enough friends that they would fess up if it was theirs. I dont associate with people that dont take responsibility for their own actions. Man up and stop being such a little bitch about a mistake YOU made by getting in the truck. And by the way... my boat runs great and works great for what I do.
I absolutely agree with you 1000%!!! My friends dont smoke...the ones that do are in their own world...not mine, and considered "aquaintinces". I can honestly say ALL of my friends would step up and take responsibility for anything that jeopardized the rest of us. Being a responsible adult also includes choosing the situation you may be subject to. You are in a truck with a bunch of knuckleheads that smoke out.....you get what you deserve. The LAST thing I want in life is to try to explain to my boys (4 and 7) WHY I was in jail....oh....AND THAT IT WASN'T MY STASH!!
Step up and be responsible....dipshit!!
Ok....I'm getting another beer :D :D

CarBizIndio
06-20-2007, 08:32 PM
I absolutely agree with you 1000%!!! My friends dont smoke...the ones that do are in their own world...not mine, and considered "aquaintinces". I can honestly say ALL of my friends would step up and take responsibility for anything that jeopardized the rest of us. Being a responsible adult also includes choosing the situation you may be subject to. You are in a truck with a bunch of knuckleheads that smoke out.....you get what you deserve. The LAST thing I want in life is to try to explain to my boys (4 and 7) WHY I was in jail....oh....AND THAT IT WASN'T MY STASH!!
Step up and be responsible....dipshit!!
Ok....I'm getting another beer :D :D
Get a clue.

RaceFace
06-20-2007, 08:36 PM
Get a clue.
You're a dildo. I have a clue....I DONT HAVE A POLICE RECORD because my "friend" wouldn't step up. You need a life.....on another board.

CarBizIndio
06-20-2007, 08:39 PM
You're a dildo. I have a clue....I DONT HAVE A POLICE RECORD because my "friend" wouldn't step up. You need a life.....on another board.
Tool.

Ultrafied
06-21-2007, 05:02 AM
Do you think he really cares what any of us think?:D

CarBizIndio
06-21-2007, 10:38 AM
CarBizIndio, mind you I'm not trying to start a feud with you BUT for a f*ckin new guy you sure started off on the wrong foot. It just seems that every one of your posts, opinions, interpretations, etc., run counter clockwise to every one else's. Are your posts a joke and you're trying to get a rise outta everyone? Is this your true personality coming thru or are you just 'funnin' us. Are you sure your on the right website?
Just humor me with some straight answers please.
I know I've torn a few peeps a new as*hole on here and had a bunch that disagree with what I post but so be it. I think most everyone knows I shoot straight from the hip about what i believe to be correct and i'm not just a mean lil bastard. You on the other hand haven't posted one positive thing since you've been here that I can remember. If you're gonna hang with the gang I'd seriosly think about not revealing your identity on the boards here as it might not go over very big.
JMHO
Rio
Well here is a FEW positive treads I've contributed to so you understand I'm not completely useless.
http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154063
http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154135
http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153419
http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152979
http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153774
I don't mind contributing useful info when the opportunity comes up. I have quite a bit of experience in the automotive field restoring hotrods and worked for a few racing teams building porsche cup cars, not to mention being a mechanic on 2 episodes on the pilot to monster garage. Over the past 2 years I've started messing with boats so hopefully when the time comes I can get some useful info off of here when I need it and contribute to helping people with problems from time to time. But I do also enjoy getting a rise out of people that don't like my dark sense of humor and people that are flat out pricks. lol I'll definitely not reveal my identity at the moment, I mite end up getting a rooster tail in my face at havasu or be forced to run over big dog and get his arm caught in my impeller.

STV_Keith
06-21-2007, 11:23 AM
If they win, we need an Atty on the board willing to do a pro bono class action suit against them on behalf of hot boaters...claim that their actions have caused the city to make changes to the channel area due to their negligence that impacts our enjoyment of a public area.
What atty can put that into lawyer-ese for me? :devil:

Baja Big Dog
06-21-2007, 11:47 AM
Well here is a FEW positive treads I've contributed to so you understand I'm not completely useless.
http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154063
http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154135
http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153419
http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152979
http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153774
I don't mind contributing useful info when the opportunity comes up. I have quite a bit of experience in the automotive field restoring hotrods and worked for a few racing teams building porsche cup cars, not to mention being a mechanic on 2 episodes on the pilot to monster garage. Over the past 2 years I've started messing with boats so hopefully when the time comes I can get some useful info off of here when I need it and contribute to helping people with problems from time to time. But I do also enjoy getting a rise out of people that don't like my dark sense of humor and people that are flat out pricks. lol I'll definitely not reveal my identity at the moment, I mite end up getting a rooster tail in my face at havasu or be forced to run over big dog and get his arm caught in my impeller.
Not bad..guy has 128 posts, and finds 5 good ones, if he were in the big leagues he would be sent to the minors!!!
Too bad we dont have a minor league!:devil:

CarBizIndio
06-21-2007, 11:49 AM
Not bad..guy has 128 posts, and finds 5 good ones, if he were in the big leagues he would be sent to the minors!!!
Too bad we dont have a minor league!:devil:
FYI 135 posts and 6 good ones.