PDA

View Full Version : WTF! $50 boat parking ticket

CBadDad
06-20-2007, 08:49 AM
I took my boat out of storage on Monday to get it cleaned up and ready for the river. I had to work yesterday. Got home this morning planning on loading up and heading out and there's a friggin ticket on the trailer tongue for $50. "No parking of unattached trailers on city streets".
I guess the cops in this town got nothing better to do. :mad:

CarBizIndio
06-20-2007, 08:51 AM
That's easy money for the city. Fight the ticket, any street signs around that give that warning?

Mr. C
06-20-2007, 08:52 AM
have you pissed off a neighbor lately, I had mine unhooked for 30 min.(wife needed the truck) the neighbors called the cops and yep ticket

Throttle
06-20-2007, 08:54 AM
f'n bs... thats what that is...

my21advantage
I took my boat out of storage on Monday to get it cleaned up and ready for the river. I had to work yesterday. Got home this morning planning on loading up and heading out and there's a friggin ticket on the trailer tongue for $50. "No parking of unattached trailers on city streets".
Usually it those frickin' parking enforcement officers...if some disgruntial neighbor didn't call...:idea:
That's easy money for the city. Fight the ticket, any street signs around that give that warning?
Usually posted at the entrance into city limits...

CBadDad
No signs anywhere in the city that I know of. Been here for over twenty years.

my21advantage
06-20-2007, 08:55 AM
have you pissed off a neighbor lately, I had mine unhooked for 30 min.(wife needed the truck) the neighbors called the cops and yep ticket
You beat me to it

CBadDad
06-20-2007, 08:55 AM
Not that I know of. :confused:

CBadDad
06-20-2007, 08:56 AM
Usually posted at the entrance into city limits...
I'll double check.

CBadDad
06-20-2007, 08:57 AM
f'n bs... thats what that is...
Totall bull shit! That's half of what I pay to store the focking boat for the month. :mad:

Throttle
06-20-2007, 08:57 AM
for 50 bucks, i should be able to leave it at the local police station overnite... at least it would be safe... right?

Havasu1986
06-20-2007, 09:00 AM
have you pissed off a neighbor lately,
Or ex wife. :eek: :D

CBadDad
06-20-2007, 09:01 AM
for 50 bucks, i should be able to leave it at the local police station overnite... at least it would be safe... right?
I should try that.
This is ususally my M.O. bring it home to clean it up before each trip. Only once a month during the summer. Never been a problem before.
As for fighting it. Nothing on the ticket suggest that I can contest it. Just pay it in 14 days or the fine increases. Isn't america a wonderful place. :sqeyes:

CBadDad
06-20-2007, 09:02 AM
That's always a possibilty because of her mental illness, but we've been on pretty good terms lately, all things considered.

Smokin Joe
06-20-2007, 09:03 AM
Pay the ticket that's cheep!! in Huntington Beach it's $76.00 I went threw the process to fight it, as I just disconnected to run errands and gas up an hour later I had a ticket on the trailer tongue. The city just quoted the law no disconnected trailers on city streets at any time.
joe

Throttle
06-20-2007, 09:07 AM
f her!
somebody please...

CBadDad
06-20-2007, 09:11 AM
f her!
somebody please...
Exactly, that is the only time she's outta my business. When you see what I upgraded to, you'll understand why she is so pissed off. :)

Rvr Swpr
06-20-2007, 09:11 AM
Shut your dogs up.

scarabrick2
06-20-2007, 09:14 AM
Park it in your driveway even tho it might be to long.

ULTRA26 # 1
06-20-2007, 09:14 AM
I recently read in the California vehicle code that it is illegal to park a boat and trailer on the street when not attached to a tow vehicle.
I will see if I can find the code and post it
jm

Chico&Zeus
06-20-2007, 09:17 AM
Two weeks ago, I pulled the boat home, unhooked it in front of my house so that I could run and get ice, beer, etc. I get back 30 minutes later and some jerkoff had parked their van right in front of my trailer. I parked on the other side of the street and figured that I would wait a while, maybe just someone visiting a neighbor or something. 5 hours later the van was still there...this was a Friday and I was planning on taking off for the Lake first thing Saturday morning. That night I met a few friends for drinks, came home and the van was gone...good thing too because after drinking it up and thinking about how pissed I was, when I got home I had every intent of pulling out the tow straps, dropping the Dodge into 4-Lo and draggin' that mother f'er into the middle of the street. Well, I learned my lesson, from now on I park with the tongue of the trailer near the entrance of my driveway. That way if someone pulls that shit again, I just call a tow truck:devil:

CBadDad
06-20-2007, 09:21 AM
Two weeks ago, I pulled the boat home, unhooked it in front of my house so that I could run and get ice, beer, etc. I get back 30 minutes later and some jerkoff had parked their van right in front of my trailer. I parked on the other side of the street and figured that I would wait a while, maybe just someone visiting a neighbor or something. 5 hours later the van was still there...this was a Friday and I was planning on taking off for the Lake first thing Saturday morning. That night I met a few friends for drinks, came home and the van was gone...good thing too because after drinking it up and thinking about how pissed I was, when I got home I had every intent of pulling out the tow straps, dropping the Dodge into 4-Lo and draggin' that mother f'er into the middle of the street. Well, I learned my lesson, from now on I park with the tongue of the trailer near the entrance of my driveway. That way if someone pulls that shit again, I just call a tow truck:devil:
That's exactly how I left mine, in front of my house, not bothering anyone else. I worried that someone might come along and steal it, never imagined I'd get a ticket.
Stupid BS! I'll just go write the check now so I don't forget. Next time I'll leave it hooked up to my truck and ride my bike to work.

CBadDad
06-20-2007, 09:28 AM
Just got off of the phone with my GF. She thinks that it might be the lil old lady across the street, since we never have seen a cop on my street before. She's just been here for thirty years and once last year said something about it, told me that the HOA has parking (it's full). I thought I politely explained how I was paying for storage and it will only be out here when I'm preppin for a trip.
I never thought it was a problem before. :idea:

zudnic
06-20-2007, 09:31 AM
My town has one meter lady a real old bag. The local Nissan dealer donated a pick up and some cash to have parking ticket helper volunteers. The volunteers are all blue hairs that have nothing better to drive around neighborhoods looking for infractions.....

CarBizIndio
06-20-2007, 09:41 AM
Just got off of the phone with my GF. She thinks that it might be the lil old lady across the street, since we never have seen a cop on my street before. She's just been here for thirty years and once last year said something about it, told me that the HOA has parking (it's full). I thought I politely explained how I was paying for storage and it will only be out here when I'm preppin for a trip.
I never thought it was a problem before. :idea:
Time to take some revenge out on your grumpy old neighbor.

CBadDad
06-20-2007, 09:46 AM
Time to take some revenge out on your grumpy old neighbor.
Ya, like when I get home late on Monday night I will park my rig in front of their house and ride my motorcycle to work on Tuesday. If they think it is bad in front of my house, lets see how they like it when it is front of theirs. :devil:
Maybe I'll leave until Friday. Assholes...

spectras only
06-20-2007, 09:51 AM
Every major city had parking laws for decades for boat trailers . Even with the brake lever applied on the trailer tongue , it's a liability issue in case the trailer rolled even a foot . Parking regulation applies to motorhomes over either 21' or 23' . I personally would hate to see a 30' motorhome parking front of my living room window :idea: .I've heard Florida has some rules against motorhomes parking in your own drive way now .

Classic Daycruiser
06-20-2007, 10:02 AM
It needs to be hitch, so put a hitch on your golf cart or quad, and hook it up. Then go do your your ice run.
I believe the problem with leaving your trailer unhitch on a public street is that most trailers do not have a parking brake to set. If a collision occured with your trailer/Boat, there would be nothing to stop it from continueing down the street, and possibly killing someone.
A liability nightmare waiting to happen. You could be financially responsible for some one crashing into your parked/unhitched trailer on a public street.:idea: Look at it as a $50 warning:mad:

Quality Time
06-20-2007, 10:05 AM
I recently read in the California vehicle code that it is illegal to park a boat and trailer on the street when not attached to a tow vehicle.
I will see if I can find the code and post it
jm
Any trailer

Singleton
06-20-2007, 10:11 AM
Had the same thing occur to me this past winter (live by Kelly Elem School in Carlsbad). Boat was parked on street for 2 days, while city was removing a tree that fell into my back yard, and the city gave me the ticket.
Ending up fighting teh ticket and it went bye bye. No signs about that, but if you fight it our can win, the city ord state "semi trailer" not a boat trailer. If you fight it they should let it go.

Singleton
06-20-2007, 10:19 AM
Go to the following link to review Carlsbad Muni Codes
http://www.carlsbadca.gov/chall/ccodes.html
Also, to fight the ticket you need to do the following:
Link (http://www.carlsbadca.gov/pdfdoc.html?pid=387) or read below.
If you wish to contest your parking citation, a request must be made to the Finance Department for a parking citation review within 21 days of issuance of the parking citation or within 14 days of the mailing of the notice of delinquency. The request for a "Parking Citation Request for Review" may be made by telephone, in writing, or in person to:
Finance Department
City of Carlsbad
1635 Faraday Avenue
Carlsbad, CA 92008
(760) 602-2490
A completed form, along with the original parking citation, must be returned to the City's Finance Department. The Traffic Officer in the Carlsbad Police Department will review the citation, the issuing officer's statement of facts and your statement to determine if the citation is valid. If the citation is determined to be invalid, a letter will be sent to you and the citation will be dismissed. If the citation is determined to be valid, you will be notified by mail. You will then have two options: a) to pay the citation immediately or b) request an administration hearing no later than 21 days following the mailing of the results of the review. Failure to comply in a timely manner with this requirement will result in waiver of your right to further review of the citation. If you request an administrative hearing, you must deposit funds in the amount equal to the value of the citation including any penalties. The request for a hearing using a "Request for Neutral Examination of Parking Citation" form can be made by telephone, in writing, or in person to the Finance Department.
If the administrative hearing determines the citation is valid, and you still wish to contest the citation, you may do so by requesting a court hearing (De Nova) in civil court and depositing a twenty-five ($25.00) fee. Your request to the court must be made within 30 days of the mailing of the hearing examiner's decision. The court hearing will consist of a review of the facts presented at the administrative hearing. No new evidence can be submitted at the court hearing.

Singleton
06-20-2007, 10:24 AM
Tired of work Today.
10.40.151 Parking prohibited of unattached trailers or semi-trailers.
No person shall park an unattached trailer or semi-trailer upon any street or public place except for the purpose of loading or unloading. (Ord. NS-261 ยง 1, 1993)
You were loading, so you should be able to fight ticket.

CBadDad
06-20-2007, 10:27 AM
I wonder if it is worth it to give it a shot. Looks like they might have changed the verbage, because my ticket is marked "unattached trailer or semi trailer".

Throttle
06-20-2007, 10:28 AM
That's exactly how I left mine, in front of my house, not bothering anyone else. I worried that someone might come along and steal it, never imagined I'd get a ticket.
Stupid BS! I'll just go write the check now so I don't forget. Next time I'll leave it hooked up to my truck and ride my bike to work.
i'd leave my golf cart hooked up to it... do you want to borrow it?

Singleton
06-20-2007, 10:29 AM
I wonder if it is worth it to give it a shot. Looks like they might have changed the verbage, because my ticket is marked "unattached trailer or semi trailer".
No harm in fighting it. If they state it is valid, you pay the fine later down the road.

CBadDad
06-20-2007, 10:30 AM
i'd leave my golf cart hooked up to it... do you want to borrow it?
They'd probably give me a ticket for it not being a licensed street vehicle.

CBadDad
06-20-2007, 10:32 AM
No harm in fighting it. If they state it is valid, you pay the fine later down the road.
True. Why give the city any more of my money if I can put it off.

CBadDad
06-20-2007, 10:33 AM
Damn, I'm almost at a thousand post. :D

little rowe boat
Ya, like when I get home late on Monday night I will park my rig in front of their house and ride my motorcycle to work on Tuesday. If they think it is bad in front of my house, lets see how they like it when it is front of theirs. :devil:
Maybe I'll leave until Friday. Assholes...
I think I would walk over and ask her before making her life miserable.

CBadDad
Check me out...I'm hijacking my own thread.

CBadDad
06-20-2007, 10:35 AM
I think I would walk over and ask her before making her life miserable.
Don't start making sense on here. This is Hot Boat afterall. :D

Throttle
06-20-2007, 10:35 AM
They'd probably give me a ticket for it not being a licensed street vehicle.
oh, but it is...:D

little rowe boat
06-20-2007, 10:36 AM
Don't start making sense on here. This is Hot Boat afterall. :D
You are right, I forgot we are supposed to jump to conclussions first. My bad.:D

CBadDad
06-20-2007, 10:37 AM
oh, but it is...:D
Baller!!!

Nord
06-20-2007, 10:54 AM
You live in Carlsbad.........what did you expect??
Welcome to the home of the free :)

SummerBreeze
06-20-2007, 11:38 AM
OMG all the problems you city people have

Spotondl
06-20-2007, 11:44 AM
Make the city earn your $$$. Too many good arguments to support your side of the deal... You may even find out who, if anyone, reported you... Then it would be "game on!!"

CBadDad
06-20-2007, 11:46 AM
You live in Carlsbad.........what did you expect??
Welcome to the home of the free :)
I suppose this is where I throw a jab about cars parked on dead lawns in Corona. :eek:
Not gonna happen, I'm above that. :D

Chipster27
06-20-2007, 11:56 AM
Just got off of the phone with my GF. She thinks that it might be the lil old lady across the street,
My neighbor bought a new motorhome; brought it home to show everyone and the next day he had a ticket on it. We went to the OC Sheriff website (http://www.occrimecalls.org/) to see if someone had called and sure enough there was a call logged on our street. Cops usually don't screw with this kind of stuff unless someone calls. Between my neighbor and I with toyhaulers/MoHos, boats, bikes, etc... we were always getting notices from the HOA. We had our suspicion as to who was calling, they have since moved and we have not had another incident. :idea:
Good luck with your situation. That sucks.

Tremor Therapy
06-20-2007, 12:04 PM
Cbaddad I feel for you, but I got ticket just like that in Vista. In fact, last year the city council voted on, and approved a no recreational vehicle, boat or motor home parking in your driveway ordinance. It got a lot of heat at council meetings, and has not been enforced. It is still on the books, but not being enforced. I know they'll change it someday and I'll be hosed, but for now the boat is in the driveway.
BTW, where do you store your boat that it is that cheap?

ACEB36TC
06-20-2007, 12:16 PM
I don`t know about you guys but i was towing my 30 behind my bonanza and the hitch broke dropping the boat on my hag neighbor. Cops tried chasing me but couldn`t keep up. I ditched the plane in texoma and walked back to the house, threw the boat over my shoulder and went back to the lake. Pulled the plane out with my boat and started drinking. Great lake day!

Ziggy
06-20-2007, 12:20 PM
Had the same thing occur to me this past winter (live by Kelly Elem School in Carlsbad). Boat was parked on street for 2 days, while city was removing a tree that fell into my back yard, and the city gave me the ticket.
Ending up fighting teh ticket and it went bye bye. No signs about that, but if you fight it our can win, the city ord state "semi trailer" not a boat trailer. If you fight it they should let it go.
I think I saw your boat the other weekend....are you near the park?

riverbound
06-20-2007, 12:20 PM
Without reading the whole thread.
In my city you can not park a boat on the street without getting a 24 hour permit. I got a ticket once, went down to the city got the ticket reversed and now whenever I bring the boat home I call the 800# and get a 24 hour pass. no problems since :D

Singleton
06-20-2007, 12:24 PM
I think I saw your boat the other weekend....are you near the park?
Yes, one block away from the park behind Kelly.
Boat is now at its new home in Havasu, so I can use my driveway again to park my truck.

CBadDad
06-20-2007, 12:25 PM
BTW, where do you store your boat that it is that cheap?
EZ Storage in Oceanside. $178 for two spaces (I have a trailer too).

CBadDad
06-20-2007, 12:25 PM
I don`t know about you guys but i was towing my 30 behind my bonanza and the hitch broke dropping the boat on my hag neighbor. Cops tried chasing me but couldn`t keep up. I ditched the plane in texoma and walked back to the house, threw the boat over my shoulder and went back to the lake. Pulled the plane out with my boat and started drinking. Great lake day!
:confused:
I want some of what you're on.

uvindex
06-20-2007, 12:30 PM
I don`t know about you guys but i was towing my 30 behind my bonanza and the hitch broke dropping the boat on my hag neighbor. Cops tried chasing me but couldn`t keep up. I ditched the plane in texoma and walked back to the house, threw the boat over my shoulder and went back to the lake. Pulled the plane out with my boat and started drinking. Great lake day!Exact same thing happened to me a few weeks ago.

riverroyal
06-20-2007, 05:49 PM
your lucky its not towed

Dan Lorenze
06-20-2007, 05:58 PM
A couple of years ago I stopped by a machinists house to pick up a couple of pieces on my way into work, I had an MC trailer on the back on my truck. I was there maybe 10 minutes, I got the same ticket... Total BS.... Good ole' Simi Valley........

hotsand65
06-20-2007, 08:21 PM
I live in Murrieta, the cops are really nice, he actually walked the ticket up to my door to:mad: sign it.

MRS FLYIN VEE
06-20-2007, 08:24 PM
I think there is a law you can not park a trailer on the street without being hooked to a vehicle. and another law about between the hours of 2:00 a.m and 6:00 a.m or something like that.
sorry about the ticket. That is pretty steep.

Baja Big Dog
06-20-2007, 09:25 PM
Pay the ticket that's cheep!! in Huntington Beach it's $76.00 I went threw the process to fight it, as I just disconnected to run errands and gas up an hour later I had a ticket on the trailer tongue. The city just quoted the law no disconnected trailers on city streets at any time.
joe
Thats because you live in the most focked up city when it comes to the cops...Yea I have the utmost respect for LEO's, except in Huntington. The true douche bags of the LEO industry.
Lived there years ago, the pricks would wait for us to ride home from Purks on our bikes, and pull us over and harass us for being drunk on a bike (bicycle). And writing tickets for drinking a beer in your front yard without a proper fence..come on.
Wonder if they have changed since Huntington went to "Newport-North"?
doubtful, they took so much pride in being the pricks they were.

Chico&Zeus
06-21-2007, 05:35 AM
I was thinking about this again last night because it is something that I often do. Sometimes I just have to drop the trailer for 30 minutes or so, instead of pulling the big bastard through Wal Mart or wherever else I have to go. Here's my thought...if you were to remove the license plate, the only way to identify who the ticket would go to is to run the vin#....and on my trailer it's a bitch to find and read. I don't think there is a way to cross reference the boat registration or Hull id#. I have not yet received a ticket, but then again I live outside of the city...my streets are considered county which is governed by the Maricopa Sherrif's Office. I am unaware of any laws against parking my trailer, but I am sure that there is something against it. I know that the cops would just assume that the trailer belongs to the home owner of which the trailer is parked in front of...but it would be just that much harder to prove in court without the license plate.