PDA

View Full Version : Any real estate attorneys in here?

28Prowler525
02-14-2006, 01:18 PM
We are having a mobile home built in Needles.
http://www.ranchesforsale.com/content/rbv_main.htm
We went out this past weekend to check on the progress. We met a worker who told us that the roof had collapsed on our place last October. This happened because the drains didn't function and the rain pooled until it was heavy enough to break through. This worker had pictures on his phone and was more then happy to show us. We also talked to some neighbors and they confirmed the story. There were also many other thing some minor some major, but nothing as bad as a collapsed roof, that have gone wrong with our place.
We were told by management that some cabinets have water damage and that these cabinets came that way from the factory and will be replaced.
Obviously the developer is not disclosing what has happened.
My question is this.
Does the developer have to disclose what has happened in regard to the roof / water damage and all the other things that have happened?
Also, do I have any recourse?
I don't want to end up with a house that has mold growing inside the walls.

socalmofo
02-14-2006, 01:33 PM
If they know about it they have to disclose it. You might want to get a physical inspection prior to occupying the property.

Cole1313
02-14-2006, 01:36 PM
We are having a mobile home built in Needles.
http://www.ranchesforsale.com/content/rbv_main.htm
We went out this past weekend to check on the progress. We met a worker who told us that the roof had collapsed on our place last October. This happened because the drains didn't function and the rain pooled until it was heavy enough to break through. This worker had pictures on his phone and was more then happy to show us. We also talked to some neighbors and they confirmed the story. There were also many other thing some minor some major, but nothing as bad as a collapsed roof, that have gone wrong with our place.
We were told by management that some cabinets have water damage and that these cabinets came that way from the factory and will be replaced.
Obviously the developer is not disclosing what has happened.
My question is this.
Does the developer have to disclose what has happened in regard to the roof / water damage and all the other things that have happened?
Also, do I have any recourse?
I don't want to end up with a house that has mold growing inside the walls.
From my experience here in AZ, they run things alot different. Disclosure is not discussed unless it is brought up by the buyer. Did you have a home inspection done on the property.

YeLLowBoaT
02-14-2006, 01:37 PM
CA is a full disclosure state. If they know and don't tell= they pay for it anyways. In other states I have no idea how it works... In ca if a house has a leaking roof it can be condimed.

28Prowler525
02-14-2006, 01:37 PM
If they know about it they have to disclose it. You might want to get a physical inspection prior to occupying the property.
Yeah, we are going to get an inspector. I'm just worried that he won't be able to get down into the walls and floor, to look for mold.
At this point everyone (with the exception of the worker) has told us that the water damage happened at the factory. We can move in this weekend if we want to, so I have to believe that the developer has no intentions of telling us what happened.

Mandelon
02-14-2006, 02:12 PM
Definitely get a certified mold inspector. Not just some physical inspector who knows a little bit about mold, but a mold expert. Mobiles can grow mold really easily.
Check on www.iaqa.com for someone in the area.
They can do air samples and wall cavity samples without cutting big holes in the walls.
Man-->CMR, CRMI<-----delon

Ivan Dan
02-14-2006, 03:02 PM
Definitely get a certified mold inspector. Not just some physical inspector who knows a little bit about mold, but a mold expert. Mobiles can grow mold really easily.
Check on www.iaqa.com for someone in the area.
They can do air samples and wall cavity samples without cutting big holes in the walls.
Man-->CMR, CRMI<-----delon
This is a great suggestion....BUT I would also have a home inspection done as well. In other words, spend the $$ to have both inspections done. If nothing else your basic home inspector will find any build defects that might otherwise take you months to figure out.
As mentioned above, CA is a full disclosure state and sellers/builders are required to disclose anything they know that is wrong or faulty with the property.

meaniam
02-14-2006, 03:32 PM
if you do find anything wrong with the inspection make sure you have it in writing and builder signs it, say that it will be fixed. this will help you later on. i have been hearing that people are paying for inspections and the problems being inspected are not being repaired always or being done incorrectly. and becuase most people dont have the repairs inspected a second time. it is never cuaght. i know the disclouser statement that real estate people fill out looks almost as think as small phone books. thats an over statement but it is a shit load of things to learn and fill out....