PDA

View Full Version : Luck starting to change

mickeyfinn
06-20-2007, 03:12 PM
Well I bought an older boat from a friend that I have been wanting for a couple of years. It is a 1976 Glastron Carlson in near mint condition (possibly a blown head gasket). I already have an older 18' baja, a waverunner and the flatbottom so another boat was not good news to the wife. I promised to get the baja de-winterized and ready to sell before I did anything other than wash the glastron. I put in the drain plugs in the heat exchanger and filled with coolant. Charged the battery, turned the key and nada. Nothing at all. Check it out and find the starter solenoid bad. Repace the solenoid, hook up the muffs and it fires right up. Life is good so I decide to lake test it. Check the coolant and it is low. so I top it off since I just filled it up from winter and may have left some air in the block. I get to the lake, back it in, fire up and back off the trailer. Damn!, No steering,steering wheel won't move at all.Bring it home let it sit overnight and alas the steering fairy didnt come. So I go down to west marine and pick up a teleflex rack,cable assembly. Got it installed, check the fluids before going to the lake and the coolant is low again. So I top it off and as I am looking the engine in frustration I see a drip from the engine to the bilge. It is coming from the water pump. (it is the old inline 4 470 engine) I'm thinking great new pump, speedy sleeve and another days work to get it running. Then I notice that the bolt from the alternator conversion into the water pump is missing. I find the bolt in the bilge, clean it up and install using loctite. No more leak! Maybe I can get this one gone and the other one in the water now.

Glamasu
06-20-2007, 03:17 PM
Now I know where all my good luck went....Hope it is as good to you as it was to me....

mickeyfinn
06-20-2007, 04:17 PM
I am re-learning that boat stands for break out another thousand.

Glamasu
06-20-2007, 04:21 PM
I am re-learning that boat stands for break out another thousand.
Lately mime has been three thousand a pop....Consider a thousand an inexpensive trip:D :D :D

mickeyfinn
06-20-2007, 04:40 PM
LOL......The one I am looking to get rid of can be had for less tham 3G's.