PDA

View Full Version : Same Boat? Or Same Painter?

boat 569
06-20-2007, 03:58 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/524/IMG_0800_1_2.jpghttp://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/524/2522drag_boats_ice_cole2.jpg

WannabeRacing
06-20-2007, 04:03 PM
If it is not, that is CLOSE! Differences in the trailer, etc. But with that wing set-up, and some of the other stuff, it almost has to be.
But the bigger question, whose boat is this?
http://www.buzzzmiller.com/407money.jpg
Is my picture too big? I must be over-compensating for something. . .

Fiat48
06-20-2007, 04:15 PM
Not the same boat. 518 is a Tr-4.

V-DRIVE VIDEO
06-20-2007, 04:28 PM
Looks like the same boat to me...

Racey
06-20-2007, 06:45 PM
That has to be the same boat, there is no way 2 boats were painted Identical, i don't think i've ever seen 2 boats painted the same way with just stripes let alone graphics. Look at the Dash, where the gauges meet the stripes and where cole is painted on, they have to be the same boat.

Bite the Bullet
06-20-2007, 08:29 PM
Wasn't Boat# 660 Mike Bell's ICE COLE? He ran BGF for a number of years.

78Eliminator
06-20-2007, 08:45 PM
Bob, is that Erics hydro in the background of the 518 picture?

Fiat48
06-20-2007, 08:52 PM
Bob, is that Erics hydro in the background of the 518 picture?
Nope....but it sure looks similar doesn't it?

78Eliminator
06-20-2007, 08:54 PM
Sure does. I guess the give away is that the deck and lower rear is painted black. Pretty sure Eric's was all blue..........

obnoxious001
06-20-2007, 09:34 PM
Probably the easy answer is to check with Jim Lange at Hi Tech, since the older (Puddingstone?) photo on the right has Hi Tech on the boat and trailer.

beerjet
06-20-2007, 10:00 PM
What the hell is Borat doin at puddingstone ? I didnt know he was into boats . Nice daisy dukes too .
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/524/2522drag_boats_ice_cole2.jpg
-beerjet-

sc fab 1
06-20-2007, 10:09 PM
What the hell is Borat doin at puddingstone ? I didnt know he was into boats . Nice daisy dukes too .
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/524/2522drag_boats_ice_cole2.jpg
-beerjet-
dude that is some funny $hiat! :D :D

78Eliminator
06-20-2007, 10:19 PM
"I come to the U, S, and A to make a movie film and ride in the flat boat bottom."

boat 569
06-21-2007, 01:20 AM
Wannabe, The boat in my avatar is mine. Sorry I made the pics too big. I didn't know how to put them on top of each other. They just came out side by side.

Lefty
06-21-2007, 06:16 AM
Fiat actually it is a TR 2 so it could be the same boat. I know it is a TR 2 because it has the inset deck and also I ask the guy, but I don't remember his name. Nice boat and it got with the program. Had to be one of the fastest flat at CFW.

Fiat48
06-21-2007, 07:23 AM
Fiat actually it is a TR 2 so it could be the same boat. I know it is a TR 2 because it has the inset deck and also I ask the guy, but I don't remember his name. Nice boat and it got with the program. Had to be one of the fastest flat at CFW.
Hmm. I talked to the guy at length and he said it was a tr4 with a tr2 deck (something about it being a one off deal). So I just took him at his word.
Ran super. He tried a new prop when he was gonna run Whitie but the new prop hooked harder and he had to get out of it.
The big guy with him was with the "Flatzilla" team for years. Very knowledgable alcohol guy.

Lefty
06-21-2007, 07:29 AM
Fiat you might be right, when I ask him he kind of brushed me off like I could tell you, but you wouldn't understand. So that could have a TR 4 bottom, but it definatley has a 2 top.

Fiat48
06-21-2007, 07:58 AM
The guy is not here on the boards. Hud knows him and maybe he will ask him.

WannabeRacing
06-21-2007, 08:28 AM
569, I knew as much. But thought that was interesting to see an old pic of a blower motor in your avitar, and then to a carbed engine in the newer picture.
Most guys go the other way with that swap.
And it is my picture that is the huge one. I forgot it was that big when I posted it.

TAF
06-21-2007, 08:42 AM
The big guy with him was with the "Flatzilla" team for years. Very knowledgable alcohol guy.
You'd probably be talking about "Big Pete" or Jackson, ehh? :idea:

FLYTE RISK
06-21-2007, 10:25 AM
Hmm. I talked to the guy at length and he said it was a tr4 with a tr2 deck (something about it being a one off deal). So I just took him at his word.
Ran super. He tried a new prop when he was gonna run Whitie but the new prop hooked harder and he had to get out of it.
Rumor has it Whitie put the whoop ass on that boat. Makes for a long tow home!!:D Especially getting served by a senior citizen none the less!!!!;)

boat 569
06-21-2007, 10:38 AM
Wannabe, The engine in my avatar is actually an injected alcohol deal. No blower. I am in the process of putting an injector on the carbed engine now. I know how to tune injected engines more than carbs. I hope to have it ready for Oklahoma. I'll miss the scoop though. I thought the boat looked better with it.

HITECH-MARINE
06-25-2007, 10:27 AM
OK Guys...let's put an end to all the guessing! The boat in question is the TR4 "prototype" that I (Jim Lange) built when employed at Cole's. It was originally sold to Bob Brownell and was known as "Hi Anxiety" BGF. This boat along with it's sister boat where pulled out of a modified TR2 mold with inserts in the tunnel area to increase the tunnel depth by 1/4". The "sister" boat sat outside for 1 yr. before we turned it over and massaged the bottom for the plug. While sitting outside on tires (and full of water during the winter months), the boat finally made it's way into the glass shop and George Trevett the glass shop manager at the time, proceeded to blueprint the bottom and prepare the plug for a mold. George also is responsible for the raised deck on the TR4. Only problem was the bottom on the original boat (Bob Brownell's) was designed and blueprinted by myself and ended up being very different than the one George did. We determined later after Rick Jackson's PGF and Ernie Jenuwine's BGF where built, that the rocker in the 2 boats where vastly different. We came to the conclusion that the rocker had changed when the boat sat outside on tires for all that time instead of being properly supported. Anyway...Bob Brownell's boat went on to win many races and was always feared by other competitors. It was then sold to Larry Saugsted who was VERY close friends with Mike Bell. Larry used it as a river racer and had it painted by Baca as you see it now. For a short time when Mike Bell was racing BGF he borrowed the boat from Saugstead and that's how it came to have the #660 on it. Mike set a couple record's with it at that point and I believe that record is still held today. The boat was then sold to Fred "the Head". Fred river races it and goes to many V- Drive regatta's and events with it. This boat is one of a kind, as is Don Bausher's TAF. Don's boat is a Canyon with the inserts put in the mold the same way I did at Cole's. Bausher's boat is one of the quickest TAF in the class and now that I am crew chief on the engine as well we expect big things in the future! For those of you that know me...I can't leave "well enough" alone. Jim Lange

Bite the Bullet
06-25-2007, 03:28 PM
OK Guys...let's put an end to all the guessing! The boat in question is the TR4 "prototype" that I (Jim Lange) built when employed at Cole's. It was originally sold to Bob Brownell and was known as "Hi Anxiety" BGF. This boat along with it's sister boat where pulled out of a modified TR2 mold with inserts in the tunnel area to increase the tunnel depth by 1/4". The "sister" boat sat outside for 1 yr. before we turned it over and massaged the bottom for the plug. While sitting outside on tires (and full of water during the winter months), the boat finally made it's way into the glass shop and George Trevett the glass shop manager at the time, proceeded to blueprint the bottom and prepare the plug for a mold. George also is responsible for the raised deck on the TR4. Only problem was the bottom on the original boat (Bob Brownell's) was designed and blueprinted by myself and ended up being very different than the one George did. We determined later after Rick Jackson's PGF and Ernie Jenuwine's BGF where built, that the rocker in the 2 boats where vastly different. We came to the conclusion that the rocker had changed when the boat sat outside on tires for all that time instead of being properly supported. Anyway...Bob Brownell's boat went on to win many races and was always feared by other competitors. It was then sold to Larry Saugsted who was VERY close friends with Mike Bell. Larry used it as a river racer and had it painted by Baca as you see it now. For a short time when Mike Bell was racing BGF he borrowed the boat from Saugstead and that's how it came to have the #660 on it. Mike set a couple record's with it at that point and I believe that record is still held today. The boat was then sold to Fred "the Head". Fred river races it and goes to many V- Drive regatta's and events with it. This boat is one of a kind, as is Don Bausher's TAF. Don's boat is a Canyon with the inserts put in the mold the same way I did at Cole's. Bausher's boat is one of the quickest TAF in the class and now that I am crew chief on the engine as well we expect big things in the future! For those of you that know me...I can't leave "well enough" alone. Jim Lange
Jim, thanks for the great post. Hopefully, you will browse back a couple of weeks here in V-Drives and respond to some posts regarding the differences between the Cole TR 1,2,3,4,5 and 6 flats.