PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone got a ticket for breaking wake in Havasu?

WET HULL
06-20-2007, 08:50 PM
I got a ticket on Memeorial weekend coming back into Thompson's Bay. I was coasting in and carried past the bouys by about 5ft and they busted me. It was my fault and the ticket was earned. The Sherrifs told me the fine would be $35 to $50 at most. I got the bill today for $175. If you have got one, what was your fine. I am pissed they told me such a low amount, and now I get this. I feel like the courts are trying to stick it to me because I reside in Cali.

xs ultra
06-20-2007, 08:58 PM
Friend of mine almost did .Same thing happened went pass the bouys ,lights turned on when along side off him and toke him off his boat tested for drinking .Held him on their boat for about 20 mins to check boat reg etc.
Let him go with a warning.If would of had been drinking he would of been screwed.

Phat Matt
06-20-2007, 09:12 PM
Someone told me once the buoys aren't a finish line. :D

XtrmWakeborder
06-20-2007, 09:13 PM
Weird, because on busy weekends I have seen them pull over TONS of pwcs and boats for doing more than just coasting past the bouys, and get off with just a warning... He must have been in a bad mood or you came in hot or something... Bummer:(

WET HULL
06-20-2007, 09:37 PM
I was just coasting in. Let off the throttle a little to late and speed carried me just past the line. Its not the amount that bothers me, its the fact the cops told me a much lower amount. If they said "I dont know what it will be", or "your lucky to get out for under $200" that would have been cool. I know the court sets the amount not the cops, but the cops have to have some kind of an idea you would think. Well at least the Sherrifs will have another full tank of gas in the new "Conquest Super Cop Boat" to catch the real bad guys.:D

riverbound
06-20-2007, 09:52 PM
Nope...but I did get looked at funny once for breaking wind in church once :D

Boatcop
06-21-2007, 04:53 AM
That's the reason we don't state a fine amount if we're asked.
I usually tell them it's somewhere between $5 and $5,000 dollars. That way I'm covered. Every court sets their own fine schedule, so it varies from court to court.
Most Boating Violations are Petty Offenses. Fines can be a maximum of $300. Those that are misdmeanors can be up to $2,500. Reckless Operation, OUI, etc.
These are for first offenses. Subsequent violations can be substantially higher.
There are also surcharges of up to 200% of the fine amount.

Stoneman
06-21-2007, 05:31 AM
I see this every weekend. Sheriff's sit at the very edge of the no wake zone issuing tickets. Kind of like a speed trap and I fail to see the point other than pure revenue enhancement.
:mad:

GRUNION
06-21-2007, 06:30 AM
The point is to catch someone doing more than speeding. Get a clue.

jayd_jr
06-21-2007, 06:33 AM
I got a ticket on Memeorial weekend coming back into Thompson's Bay. I was coasting in and carried past the bouys by about 5ft and they busted me. It was my fault and the ticket was earned. The Sherrifs told me the fine would be $35 to $50 at most. I got the bill today for $175. If you have got one, what was your fine. I am pissed they told me such a low amount, and now I get this. I feel like the courts are trying to stick it to me because I reside in Cali.
With all that stereo equipment I didnt think you could break wake! Maybe that "scoop" made the boat run faster..:devil:

HavaSkank
06-21-2007, 07:18 AM
Nope...but I did get looked at funny once for breaking wind in church once :D
When I read the title I too thought it said "breaking wind." But then again, I have a one track mind.

Stoneman
06-21-2007, 07:21 AM
The point is to catch someone doing more than speeding. Get a clue.
Like LE realy needs a "reason" to pull you over!
get a clue!
What I'm saying is where's the benefet other than revenue?

catman-do
06-21-2007, 07:53 AM
get a clue!
I agree with Grunion. Most law obiding people that are SOBER know to slow down and dont come in hot like jackass's. Now the people that are drunk in many cases will come in either not paying attention to the bouy's or trying to look like they are the fastest. Its easiest to pull people over for blatently breaking the law and then start stacking charges then to randomly herass people in which "may or may not" be drunk.

XtrmWakeborder
06-21-2007, 08:15 AM
I see this every weekend. Sheriff's sit at the very edge of the no wake zone issuing tickets. Kind of like a speed trap and I fail to see the point other than pure revenue enhancement.
:mad:
Umm because if they don't enforce it at the bouy who is to say where they will. 10 ft? 20ft? 50ft? There is a no wake zone for a reason, and it's not to make money.

uvindex
06-21-2007, 08:18 AM
Umm because if they don't enforce it at the bouy who is to say where they will. 10 ft? 20ft? 50ft? There is a no wake zone for a reason, and it's not to make money.What he said. The buoys have been there for years. It's not like it's a secret and folks have pretty much the whole lake to slow to wakeless speed before crossing the buoy line. :)

Jordy
06-21-2007, 08:26 AM
You're right!!! Let's just pull all the no wake bouys and make the Channel a free for all!!! I'd actually make a trip up there to watch that mess!!! :D :D :D
I'm sure there is some kind of study something or the other by some official sounding agency with a long name that decided the optimal distance away from shore so that waves aren't breaking and washing away the shoreline, banging the beached boats off of each other, or startling the nesting grounds of some small beakless, flightless, one legged, sand nesting sap sucker bird. Just my theory though. :D

Bense468
06-21-2007, 08:32 AM
You're right!!! Let's just pull all the no wake bouys and make the Channel a free for all!!! I'd actually make a trip up there to watch that mess!!! :D :D :D
I'm sure there is some kind of study something or the other by some official sounding agency with a long name that decided the optimal distance away from shore so that waves aren't breaking and washing away the shoreline, banging the beached boats off of each other, or startling the nesting grounds of some small beakless, flightless, one legged, sand nesting sap sucker bird. Just my theory though. :D
Look at you trying to get all smart and shit...1.5gpa nothing

Blown 472
06-21-2007, 08:45 AM
get a clue!
And another thing the people that own the land along the river carry far more weight when it comes to the no wake zones as it is their land getting washed away. I see it every year bunch of dumb****s doing that shit in the no wakes and the next year it gets pushed out 50 yards both ends. Have some respect and obey the ****ing no wake zone.

uvindex
06-21-2007, 08:46 AM
I'm sure there is some kind of study something or the other by some official sounding agency with a long name that decided the optimal distance away from shore so that waves aren't breaking and washing away the shoreline, banging the beached boats off of each other, or startling the nesting grounds of some small beakless, flightless, one legged, sand nesting sap sucker bird.Either that, or somebody looked at Thompson Bay from the air and said, "Dang, we don't need a study 'cause there's a pretty well-defined natural boundary to its entrance." :)
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=33543&stc=1&d=1182444277

Baja Big Dog
06-21-2007, 09:00 AM
O.K. Boat Cop...million dollar question.
Whats the real defination of "Wake".
Does a no wake zone have to be posted and supported by some type of code number?
Is there criteria for a no wake sign?
IE..Park Moabi, the entrance to the mile long channel has a plywood sign that says "NO WAKE", where is the actual no wake zone?
I was forced one day to take a breath test because I had a boat full of drunk friends, this entrance is a real money maker for the county because of this sign, the LEO's hang around there and wait for people to come in from the day on the water and pounce on them.
I was pissed...haven't had a drink in over 25 years, didn't want to take the test, (principle) they were gonna take one of my friends obnoxious bitch wife to jail if I didnt, so I took it...
My attourny shit when he heard this.
Yea I know, dont say it...If you didnt have anything to drink why didnt you take the test? I guess my answer is Im an asshole!!! Knowing I was right pissed me off!!!
I asked the LEO's the last time they had something to drink...they respectifully declined to answer.
I asked what the BAL was when they reported to work in the morning was..they respectfully declined to answer!!:jawdrop:

Jordy
06-21-2007, 09:03 AM
Look at you trying to get all smart and shit...1.5gpa nothing
So I might have exaggerated just a little bit on my GPA. :D
Either that, or somebody looked at Thompson Bay from the air and said, "Dang, we don't need a study 'cause there's a pretty well-defined natural boundary to its entrance." :)
OK, now I don't claim to be smart, but I can almost promise ya that there was a case study because the people that do the case studies get paid the big bucks to study these cases and then report back to the big fancy named sounding organizations with their results. It's a profit thing. :D :D :D

Stoneman
06-21-2007, 09:26 AM
Not my point, I agree with the no wake zone, just don't understand the ticket for a "couple" of feet past the bouy.
Too me, it's like issuing a ticket for not stopping before the white line in an intersection. It's against the law but very few tickets are issued. Seems a little ticky tack to me thats all.

Jordy
06-21-2007, 09:33 AM
Not my point, I agree with the no wake zone, just don't understand the ticket for a "couple" of feet past the bouy.
Too me, it's like issuing a ticket for not stopping before the white line in an intersection. It's against the law but very few tickets are issued. Seems a little ticky tack to me thats all.
So where do you draw the line??? So I didn't get a ticket for doing 10 mph over the speed limit, but you'll write me at 11??? Gotta draw the line somewhere, and that's an easy line to draw. ;)
Hell, I got a talking to a while back in the Guppy for carrying a wake into the no wake zone at Pleasant. Was well off plane, but the boat puts out a HUGE wake settling back in. Mr. MCSO was there and politely asked that I slow the freighter down further back if necessary because there is to be NO WAKE by the time you're in the no wake zone, no matter if you have to stop halfway across the lake to accomplish that. As was pointed out, it's not a finish line. You can bet that I am below wake speed by the time I'm within 25' of the zone now. I got my one warning and the Guppy is easy to spot. Not making that mistake again. :)
Jordy <---doesn't want something else, like a wake violation, on my criminal record. Who knows who might post it up here. :notam:

thumbs
06-21-2007, 09:33 AM
Seems a little ticky tack to me thats all.
It does seem that way but there has to be a point that a ticket is issued. If 5 feet past the marker is ok then what about 6 feet? It's just another foot. Then what about 7 feet? It's only one more foot.
Give an inch and they take a mile.

PaPaG
06-21-2007, 09:37 AM
I was just coasting in. Let off the throttle a little to late and speed carried me just past the line. Its not the amount that bothers me, its the fact the cops told me a much lower amount. If they said "I dont know what it will be", or "your lucky to get out for under $200" that would have been cool. I know the court sets the amount not the cops, but the cops have to have some kind of an idea you would think. Well at least the Sherrifs will have another full tank of gas in the new "Conquest Super Cop Boat" to catch the real bad guys.:D
Pure fact MOST LEO's tell you a lower amount that a fine carries so they don't have to have even more of a confrontation while dealing with someone they are ticketing. :eek:

Stoneman
06-21-2007, 09:57 AM
So where do you draw the line??? So I didn't get a ticket for doing 10 mph over the speed limit, but you'll write me at 11??? Gotta draw the line somewhere, and that's an easy line to draw. ;)
Ok, let me try one more time to make my point.
I got no problem with speeding, getting a ticket for 1 mile an hour over the limit is fine. That's breaking the law and people get killed because of speeding. Even writing it for under the limit because of conditions is fine by me. That is an safety issue.
but not stopping before the white line is against the law as well, but most everyone does it and as long as it's within limits (a foot or two) no one cares including LEO because the vehicle came to a stop (almost stopped for cali's).
Now if pedistrains were getting hit then I could see enforcement.
Just seems the only point of enforcement at Thompson bay no wake edge is to write tickets, no other benefit .

Jordy
06-21-2007, 10:07 AM
Ok, let me try one more time to make my point.
Please do...
I got no problem with speeding, getting a ticket for 1 mile an hour over the limit is fine. That's breaking the law and people get killed because of speeding. Even writing it for under the limit because of conditions is fine by me. That is an safety issue.
So speeding is a problem because it's a safety issue, yet you have no problem with it. :jawdrop:
but not stopping before the white line is against the law as well, but most everyone does it and as long as it's within limits (a foot or two) no one cares including LEO because the vehicle came to a stop (almost stopped for cali's).
Breaking this law is OK because everyone does it??? How about murder??? Armed robbery??? If everyone was doing it, would it still be a problem??? :idea:
Now if pedistrains were getting hit then I could see enforcement.
Kind of like closing the barn door after the horse already left huh??? :D
Just seems the only point of enforcement at Thompson bay no wake edge is to write tickets, no other benefit .
Lots of people seem to get warnings as well. If they're not going to enforce it, or if it's optional, perhaps they should rethink the whole maritime marking program, such as "NO WAKE, but only where you feel like it." It's cut and dry. Why is there even discussion???
If you don't want to have the LEO's make contact with you, then don't roll a wake into the NO WAKE zone with you. ESPECIALLY when it's been pointed out that they sit and hang around no wake zones waiting for this type of behavior to occur. It's really not that hard to figure out. Don't want a speeding ticket, do the speed limit. Common sense just ain't that common these days.
Some of the shit that gets posted here just blows my mind these days... :notam:

Stoneman
06-21-2007, 10:14 AM
Some of the shit that gets posted here just blows my mind these days... :notam:
Very rarely post on HB.

mobldj
06-21-2007, 11:04 AM
When I read the title I too thought it said "breaking wind." But then again, I have a one track mind.
i think you were thinking quife.......love that sound!

Boatcop
06-21-2007, 11:14 AM
O.K. Boat Cop...million dollar question.
Whats the real defination of "Wake".
Does a no wake zone have to be posted and supported by some type of code number?
Is there criteria for a no wake sign?
IE..Park Moabi, the entrance to the mile long channel has a plywood sign that says "NO WAKE", where is the actual no wake zone?
I was forced one day to take a breath test because I had a boat full of drunk friends, this entrance is a real money maker for the county because of this sign, the LEO's hang around there and wait for people to come in from the day on the water and pounce on them.
I was pissed...haven't had a drink in over 25 years, didn't want to take the test, (principle) they were gonna take one of my friends obnoxious bitch wife to jail if I didnt, so I took it...
My attourny shit when he heard this.
Yea I know, dont say it...If you didnt have anything to drink why didnt you take the test? I guess my answer is Im an asshole!!! Knowing I was right pissed me off!!!
I asked the LEO's the last time they had something to drink...they respectifully declined to answer.
I asked what the BAL was when they reported to work in the morning was..they respectfully declined to answer!!:jawdrop:
Wakeless speed is defined as:
15. "Wakeless speed" means a speed that does not cause the watercraft to create a wake, but in no case in excess of five miles per hour.
A Wake is where the water coming off the back of a vessel "breaks" at the top or causes an excess disturbance in the surface of the water.
A "No Wake" zone should be posted in accordance with the Uniform State Waterway Marking System (Inland). That would be a buoy or sign with orange bands across the top and bottom. A circle in the middle. And the words "No Wake" or "5 MPH".
However, if there are special circumstances, such as a narrow waterway (like the Moovalya Keys), a sign or buoy doesn't even have to be present.
Arizona Law states:
5-343. Speed restrictions; excessive wake
No person shall operate a watercraft in excess of the posted limit or at a speed greater than is reasonable and prudent under the conditions and having regard to the actual and potential hazards then existing. In every event, speed shall be so controlled as may be necessary to avoid colliding with any person or other watercraft, swamping other watercraft or otherwise endangering the lives or property of other persons.
and
10. "No wake" means wakeless speed, as defined by A.R.S. § 5-301, and flat wake as referenced in A.R.S. § 5-350.
If a person is traveling at a speed to cause a wake that endangers other persons, watercraft, or other property, it's a violation. Like if someone speeds by a bunch of boats rafted up and causes them to bang together, that law would apply.
There is a also a separate Game and Fish Commission rule that prohibits persons operating a watercraft contrary to posted buoys or markers.
R12-4-523. Controlled Operation of Watercraft
A. A person shall not operate any watercraft, or use any watercraft to tow a person on waterskis, a surfboard, inflatable device, or similar object, device or equipment in a manner contrary to the area restrictions imposed by lawfully placed controlled-use markers, except for:
1. Law enforcement officers acting within the scope of their lawful duties;
2. Persons involved in rescue operations;
3. Persons engaged in government-authorized activities; and
4. Persons participating in a regatta, during the time limits of the event only.
B. The exemptions listed in subsection (A) do not authorize any person to operate a watercraft in a careless, negligent, or reckless manner as prescribed in A.R.S. § 5-341.
If somone gets cited for a No Wake violation based solely on inadequate or improper buoys/markers and not endangering other property or persons, they could probably fight it and win.

STV_Keith
06-21-2007, 11:20 AM
I got the lecture one time by a Ranger at Echo Bay on Lake Mead about going too fast in the no wake. He said that if the water is bubbling white off the back of the boat, I'm going too fast. 700rpm idle with a 29 pitch prop was 4.3mph on GPS. Did the whole check my stuff routine, and even gave me crap about having an 04 sticker in Jan of 05, even though the state gives a 30 day grace period to get the new stickers out.
Now, one thing I do have a problem with is why don't they monitor the NEW no wake zone North of the sandbar? They just put those bouys up early this year, but I haven't seen a LEO up that far. People are just plowing through there. I mean, They are throwing wakes that I have to take over the bow or get wet. Maybe I should just stay on plane if LE isn't going to be there anyway.

WET HULL
06-21-2007, 01:52 PM
Hey Boatcop
The ticket for $175 seems about right compared to the ticket rates in Cali. What do you think about that amount? I am going to send the check out tommorow. Thanks for all your input. I just wish they would have said " sorry I have no idea." Also the sherriffs were very cool with me and the whole encounter only took about 5 min. No DUI test, safety or registration insurance check.
Also about the comments on racing, or coming in hot that was not the case. I was cruising outside the bay at about 25mph. Simple error on my part cutting the throttle a little to late. I said I was guilty in the beggining. Has anyone got this same ticket? What did you pay?

hotlavey
06-21-2007, 02:27 PM
get a clue!
Maybe the benifit is that next time the buoy line law will be observed. It doesn't mean start slowing here, it means no wake after here, plan ahead.

Danhercules
06-21-2007, 03:39 PM
Hey Boatcop
The ticket for $175 seems about right compared to the ticket rates in Cali. What do you think about that amount? I am going to send the check out tommorow. Thanks for all your input. I just wish they would have said " sorry I have no idea." Also the sherriffs were very cool with me and the whole encounter only took about 5 min. No DUI test, safety or registration insurance check.
Also about the comments on racing, or coming in hot that was not the case. I was cruising outside the bay at about 25mph. Simple error on my part cutting the throttle a little to late. I said I was guilty in the beggining. Has anyone got this same ticket? What did you pay?
I think its smart to look into what others paid.
A few years back, VictorFB and I were cruising down river in Bullhead, got pulled over for a safty check. Long story short, We both did not have thowables. I could not find mine (lost down the gunnel) and Vic did not know he needed one ( If I remember right). We both got tickets. Same agency. Mine was almost double. I got a copy of his ticket and sent in a letter with my ticket and a check for the lesser amout. Got a letter back in a few weeks that I was all paid up.

Stoneman
06-21-2007, 03:51 PM
Maybe the benifit is that next time the buoy line law will be observed. It doesn't mean start slowing here, it means no wake after here, plan ahead.
i've been boating here for 15 yrs, to my knowledge this is the only place that the nowake bouys are monitored so closely, and yes very few break the rules because of that. We all know there watching. But I can't see the purpose of having a sheriff do nothing all day long on the weekends but monitor the nowake line in one area other than for writing tickets. Kind of like a speed trap in my mind.
Incontrast, in the channel where traveling faster than nowake is very unsafe and people do it all the time, the LEO mostly just tell the driver's to slow down.

uvindex
06-21-2007, 04:07 PM
I can't see the purpose of having a sheriff do nothing all day long on the weekends but monitor the nowake line in one area other than for writing tickets.Come on, now you're just making stuff up. :)

XtrmWakeborder
06-21-2007, 06:52 PM
Jordy <---doesn't want something else, like a wake violation, on my criminal record. Who knows who might post it up here. :notam:
lol now that was a good thread...:D

Moneypitt
06-21-2007, 08:04 PM
If wakes are truly eroding the shoreline why are wakeboard barges allowed on any body of water except the ocean. Seems erosion is erosion, and to purposly create huge rollers anywhere with a shore line, like the strip, should be illegal. If a wakeboard boat just goes by the zone at 90*, the wake will still go all the way to the shoreline. So, if shoreline erosion is truly the reason for the zones why not go the extra mile and ban boats that create huge wakes???..............I do honor the no wake zones regardless of their purpose, be it safety or erosion...........MP
PS: As Boatcop mentioned, there are additional fees attached to any fine. So the original amount +, 100% assessment for officer training, + 30% for a victims restitution fund,+ 25% to build new jails, +20% for new equipment, etc etc etc..........That is why your fine is different than you were told.......

Havasu Carrera
06-21-2007, 10:07 PM
I dont get this!!!
The Casino boat 50 foot or so?? True Licensed capitain?? Throws without a doubt the largest wake of ANY boat in the channel REGULARLY. Oh yah and FORCES boats out of his way (HER) female cap. as it excedes the 5 mph limit per my gps. Do they get some kind of special treatment? :eek:

dicudmore
06-21-2007, 10:30 PM
I dont get this!!!
The Casino boat 50 foot or so?? True Licensed capitain?? Throws without a doubt the largest wake of ANY boat in the channel REGULARLY. Oh yah and FORCES boats out of his way (HER) female cap. as it excedes the 5 mph limit per my gps. Do they get some kind of special treatment? :eek:
apparently no rules apply to said vessel