PDA

View Full Version : What magic is needed for trailer light removal

probablecause
06-21-2007, 06:32 AM
I have a left rear (oval type) trailer light that I need to replace the bulb on. You know the type, it has the rubber seal on it and sits recessed in the trailer frame. What magic is needed to get the thing out? Is is supposed to pop out from the front or what? I don't want to pull on it and damage the rubber gasket/seal around it. Thanks, Brendan

Kachina26
06-21-2007, 06:36 AM
Out is easy, the trick is going back in! I push them in and fish them out. If the rubber dealio is old and brittle, you might not be able to do anything with out damaging it.

Devilman
06-21-2007, 06:48 AM
I have a left rear (oval type) trailer light that I need to replace the bulb on. You know the type, it has the rubber seal on it and sits recessed in the trailer frame. What magic is needed to get the thing out? Is is supposed to pop out from the front or what? I don't want to pull on it and damage the rubber gasket/seal around it. Thanks, Brendan
When I changed mine, I would push them out, to the inside(if that makes sense). Towards the front of the boat I guess you would say. Putting the new ones in the same way. I smeared a little liquid dish soap on the light to help it slip back into the rubber deal.....

djunkie
06-21-2007, 07:17 AM
Put some liquid dish soap on it. It helps to lube it up. :D

probablecause
06-21-2007, 07:40 AM
Put some liquid dish soap on it. It helps to lube it up. :D
But doesn't it sting?
Is there any salvaging the older one or is it a sealed unit in which I can't replace the bulb?

BUSBY
06-21-2007, 07:53 AM
No saving the old light ... they're sealed units.
You can go over to West Marine in Orange off of Tusin Ave and get new ones ... shoot, if you're taking one out, you might as well change them out with LED ones ... try etrailer.com
http://www.etrailer.com/pc-TTL~CPL65R.htm?utm_source=dealtime&utm_medium=ppc&Affiliate=deal
That way you won't ever have to replace them (unless you break them :D )

probablecause
06-21-2007, 07:54 AM
Spending my money already. :D

Danhercules
06-21-2007, 08:00 AM
I switched mine out for LED's at L&L in Corona. Lifetime warrenty!!:D

BUSBY
06-21-2007, 08:00 AM
Spending my money already. :D
It's all good ... that's what friends are for, right? :D

Devilman
06-21-2007, 08:03 AM
Are the LED style a direct replacement for the older sealed units?

probablecause
06-21-2007, 08:53 AM
It's all good ... that's what friends are for, right? :DYeah, I am trying to save up for that Blower Ron wants to put on my boat.

TahitiTiger
06-21-2007, 02:49 PM
LEDs are definately the way to go! But save your self some bucks and go by a place that specializes in either heavy trucks (Peterbuilts, etc) or trailer equipment. I paid $12 each for my LED oval lights :D VS $30 each at the boat shop

Klinger
06-21-2007, 03:11 PM
LEDs are definately the way to go! But save your self some bucks and go by a place that specializes in either heavy trucks (Peterbuilts, etc) or trailer equipment. I paid $12 each for my LED oval lights :D VS $30 each at the boat shop
YUP THATS WHAT I DID ALL THE LIGHTS ALL THE WAY AROUND FOR 60 BUCKS AND LOVE THEM

Danhercules
06-21-2007, 03:52 PM
Are the LED style a direct replacement for the older sealed units?
The ones at L&L are plug and play, 123, easy as ABC.
Yea, us dumba$$'s can do it! :D :)

bead
06-21-2007, 04:11 PM
I have a left rear (oval type) trailer light that I need to replace the bulb on. You know the type, it has the rubber seal on it and sits recessed in the trailer frame. What magic is needed to get the thing out? Is is supposed to pop out from the front or what? I don't want to pull on it and damage the rubber gasket/seal around it. Thanks, Brendana really large hammer:D