PDA

View Full Version : URGENT Classic car owners and lovers READ

Baja Big Dog
06-21-2007, 07:30 AM
Well the fricken state of California is at it agin..they want to scrap your classic cars!!!!
Read this and pass it on to everyone yo know, if they own a classic car or just enjoy being able to look at them.
God Im hatin this fricken state more and more...this is once again just plain wrong.
http://www.semasan.com/main/main.aspx?id=62246

Devilman
06-21-2007, 07:33 AM
Thats f*cked up!

edog_103
06-21-2007, 07:39 AM
Let em smog the classics. They didn't have any smog equipment from the factory. Smogging cars that are 15 years old might not be a bad thing. Think of how many Border jumpers there there are that are driving a clapped out 1990 Ford minivan.

edog_103
06-21-2007, 08:05 AM
But those cars already have to get smog checked. They worded it this way so it doesnt seem like they are specifically going after classic cars but with there already being a law in place that requires all cars post '75 to be smoged that means that law would only really change things for cars that are '75 or older.
True the cars do have to be smogged every two years. They are trying to change to every year. There are wet backs all over Riverside that buy a clapped out cars change owner ship and never do the smog check. They will drive it for a couple years, and get ride of it when they have to smog it and get it running correctly, two years later. Plus it's all about revenue in the State of California. They will re-word it somehow to make you pay some extra money to make it ok.

ULTRA26 # 1
06-21-2007, 08:05 AM
Well the fricken state of California is at it agin..they want to scrap your classic cars!!!!
Read this and pass it on to everyone yo know, if they own a classic car or just enjoy being able to look at them.
God Im hatin this fricken state more and more...this is once again just plain wrong.
http://www.semasan.com/main/main.aspx?id=62246
Pre-1976 motor vehicles would remain exempt under A.B. 616.
Per what I just read, pre 1976 vehicles would remain exempt. From 1975 forward, all autos were equipped with cats and full emmisoin systems. Also, I don't know of many "classics" that came after 1976 Most of the 1976 to late 80's vehicles seen on the street are POS and should be scrapped. (most not all)
I am not for more govt control but this issue will not affect true classic cars.
The main issue here is requiring vehicles 15 years and older (but not pre 1976 vehicles) to be smogged every year as opposed to every 2 years

Sleek-Jet
06-21-2007, 08:11 AM
Legislation (A.B. 616) to require annual Smog check inspections for vehicles 15-years old and older has been approved by the California Assembly and has been sent to the Senate for consideration. The bill would also require that funds generated through the additional inspection fees be deposited into an account which can be used to scrap older cars. You may recall that in 2004 a new law was enacted in California to require the lifetime testing of all 1976 and newer model-year vehicles. Pre-1976 motor vehicles would remain exempt under A.B. 616. The bill has been now referred to the Senate Transportation Committee
Pre-76 cars would still remain unsmogged.
AZ has a similiar law now, except it's pre '72 I think. The cars have to be registared as "classic", essentially limiting the miles.

edog_103
06-21-2007, 08:13 AM
You think this law is lame? I just got popped 3 weeks ago for riding my Rmz-450 in the mountains from Silverwood to Arrowhead, because it's a red sticker bike. You can ride a 2002 2-stroke all year long, which has alot higher emissions then my 4-stroke. I hear the fine is $190 I'm not sure yet. Do they really care about emissions or money? You tell me.

RitcheyRch
06-21-2007, 08:14 AM
Government trying to force us to buy new cars every 6 years

Wizard29
06-21-2007, 08:16 AM
The way I read this is 1976 and earlier remain exempt from smog testing. Vehicles 15 years old and older all the way down to 1976 would require smog checks every year as opposed to every other year as it is now.
As mentioned above, true classic cars won't be affected at all - the same it is now.
But, if they do smog older cars, I wonder if the blown 632 in my '70 Monte would pass...:idea:

BADBLOWN572
06-21-2007, 08:22 AM
Thankfully the old "classics" will still remain the same. Seems as though they were "grandfathered" into it. Thats a relief. We have a bunch of old classics that will no way pass smog! Glad to see that we don't have to put them out to pasture. ;)

edog_103
06-21-2007, 08:25 AM
The way I read this is 1976 and earlier remain exempt from smog testing. Vehicles 15 years old and older all the way down to 1976 would require smog checks every year as opposed to every other year as it is now.
As mentioned above, true classic cars won't be affected at all - the same it is now.
But, if they do smog older cars, I wonder if the blown 632 in my '70 Monte would pass...:idea:
Alcohol.

meaniam
06-21-2007, 08:58 AM
You think this law is lame? I just got popped 3 weeks ago for riding my Rmz-450 in the mountains from Silverwood to Arrowhead, because it's a red sticker bike. You can ride a 2002 2-stroke all year long, which has alot higher emissions then my 4-stroke. I hear the fine is $190 I'm not sure yet. Do they really care about emissions or money? You tell me.
damn that is f-ed up i ride up there all the time was this hwy 173 or the deep creek trail?. the rangers last nov said they wouldnt even enforce this up there for 3 reasons 1) waste of time 2)dmv cant get it right they are messing up on green and red stickers. 3) the forestry office is located in riverside and that is to far of a drive to enforce.
here is 2 options next time dont stop. there are far to many trails that go from big bear running spring crestline all the way out to palm ave in san bernardino to cleghorn rd. your on a bike you can throttle and ditch them easy. plus you are wearing a helmet. making it impossible to id you. and the chp and sherrif dont care enough to go on dirt roads. i know this cuase i lived up there.
option 2
go to twin peaks court dispute. the ranger never shows as they come from riverside. judge throws it out of court. i only know of 2 people to actually stop to recive their ticket.

meaniam
06-21-2007, 09:10 AM
Legislation (A.B. 616) to require annual Smog check inspections for vehicles 15-years old and older has been approved by the California Assembly and has been sent to the Senate for consideration. The bill would also require that funds generated through the additional inspection fees be deposited into an account which can be used to scrap older cars.
You may recall that in 2004 a new law was enacted in California to require the lifetime testing of all 1976 and newer model-year vehicles. Pre-1976 motor vehicles would remain exempt under A.B. 616. The bill has been now referred to the Senate Transportation Committee.
i am proably reading this wrong . but by chance are they just stating that it is possible for a bill to pass and using this as an example?
is this new bill a.b. 616 or is the bill passed in 2004 bill a.b. 616 why would they write a bill to require smog on 1976 and newer vehicals, when the 2004 bill already covers that?
it would be a bad deal for all people currently exempt for smog to have to go back and get their cars refreed and to reinstall smog pumps and crap. those things are a joke. dont they waste more fule operating them with the drag they create..
classic cars are drivin less and are for the most part kept up. they dont create the problem. go after school busses we actually breathe that shit. were not so lucky that it float up 30k ft.
another thing ca should do is offer huge tax breaks to manufacters bring down prices of hybred cars, and tax the sale of gas cars. there by creating the incintive. and getting the ball going. and curbing or smog problem in 10 yrs instead of 20

Baja Big Dog
06-21-2007, 09:24 AM
Im thinking they are trying to get the 1976 to 15 years old cars off the road, and scrap them with the money from the smog tests..yea right!!
So you guys with a real clean 78 camero, or 77 mustang can plan on getting the pre desiginated fee for your car..guessing around 500-700 bucks!!

edog_103
06-21-2007, 09:28 AM
damn that is f-ed up i ride up there all the time was this hwy 173 or the deep creek trail?. the rangers last nov said they wouldnt even enforce this up there for 3 reasons 1) waste of time 2)dmv cant get it right they are messing up on green and red stickers. 3) the forestry office is located in riverside and that is to far of a drive to enforce.
here is 2 options next time dont stop. there are far to many trails that go from big bear running spring crestline all the way out to palm ave in san bernardino to cleghorn rd. your on a bike you can throttle and ditch them easy. plus you are wearing a helmet. making it impossible to id you. and the chp and sherrif dont care enough to go on dirt roads. i know this cuase i lived up there.
option 2
go to twin peaks court dispute. the ranger never shows as they come from riverside. judge throws it out of court. i only know of 2 people to actually stop to recive their ticket.
You're right in the fact that the Forest Rangers wont bust you, I passed two. They waved and said have a nice day. The problem was I got busted comming down the hill into Devils Hole by the Game Warden. he was in his truck there was no way around him. He stopped us and noticed we had red stickers. Hell if I could have turned around in time I would have bailed. Plus he had a S.W. on his side and what looked like a couple AR-15's in the truck. I wasn't going to argue. next time I will ride the single tracks, so they can't fit there trucks on the trail. Another thing. The ticket is through the department of fish and game through San Bernardino County. So I have no idea how it's going to work.

BrendellaJet
06-21-2007, 09:37 AM
The way I am reading this is:
This is AB 616.
Classic cars(pre 76) are exempt ie no smog.
The cars I enjoy are safe.
This makes it look as though all cars post 1975 that are 15 years old or older will be subject to annual inspections.

YeLLowBoaT
06-21-2007, 09:44 AM
wait so do to the fact that I have a older car( 23 year old) that runs just fine, has low miles, is in great shape... I need to smog it every year? thats a load of crap. lets also not forget that it has to meet a tougher smog now then when it was built. smoging older cars is a crap shoot. i've taken car that I thought there is no way in hell they would pass, and they did. Then I've taken car that ran like a fooking top, and they failed. What about all the guys with the diesels that are pumping them up and blowing out all that black smoke... lets face it, the only people this law is really going to effect is the "working poor" the ones that don't make enough to buy a newer vehicle.
I myself make more then enough to go out and buy a brand new work truck, only I don't want to spend 30k( by the time all is said and done) to buy a truck that I am going "ride hard and put away wet"... and I seem to have this prob with getting hit at red lights... no thanks. I'll keep my 3-5k beater.
I also hate the fact that the only way you can write off the cost of a car on your taxs is if you buy it brand new.

Sleek-Jet
06-21-2007, 09:58 AM
wait so do to the fact that I have a older car( 23 year old) that runs just fine, has low miles, is in great shape... I need to smog it every year? thats a load of crap. lets also not forget that it has to meet a tougher smog now then when it was built.
I'm not 100% positive, but I believe the vehicle just needs to meet the standards as they were when it was built.
There's no way in hell that my 1988 Motorhome meets the same smog requirements as a new one. And yes, here in AZ I have to smog the motorhome.

YeLLowBoaT
06-21-2007, 10:05 AM
I'm not 100% positive, but I believe the vehicle just needs to meet the standards as they were when it was built.
There's no way in hell that my 1988 Motorhome meets the same smog requirements as a new one. And yes, here in AZ I have to smog the motorhome.
nope... completely diffrent test... whats worse is some countys have diffrent limits of what you can put out you have to smog motorhomes in CA as well.
One more thing, I had a hell of a time getting my bronco to pass smog, it was from a county that had the highest limits, passed up there np, in sac county it was not even close.( long story short some one had put a bb in the egr soloniod...finally found it after I took the hose off and blew in the other side). Smog parts for older cars are a PITA to find. Most are obsolete and your only option is reclaimed parts...

CarBizIndio
06-21-2007, 10:09 AM
It will never pass.
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i73/CarBizindio/41RFnew.jpg

Sleek-Jet
06-21-2007, 10:17 AM
nope... completely diffrent test... whats worse is some countys have diffrent limits of what you can put out you have to smog motorhomes in CA as well.
One more thing, I had a hell of a time getting my bronco to pass smog, it was from a county that had the highest limits, passed up there np, in sac county it was not even close.( long story short some one had put a bb in the egr soloniod...finally found it after I took the hose off and blew in the other side). Smog parts for older cars are a PITA to find. Most are obsolete and your only option is reclaimed parts...
I agree with your point that the biggest problem I see with it is that if you have a car that's older than 15 years, but newer than '76... and you've modified it... you're fooked.
What kind of smog test do you in CA have?? The older cars here in AZ only need to pass an idle test. Anything newer than the late 70's has to be run on the dyno-wheels. I actually got my 72 custlass to pass once when it failed the initial idle test by running it up to clear everything out of the engine. The second idle test was golden.

YeLLowBoaT
06-21-2007, 10:22 AM
we use to have the 2 speed ilde test, which is what older cars were built to pass. now all cars must pass the 2 speed dyno test. at 15 and 25 mph.

Screemy1
06-21-2007, 10:28 AM
hmm... that pisses me off..... my truck, a 95 dodge 3/4 ton costs too much to register because of the weight fee... now soon a smog every year??? **** that... the damb thing drives less then 2000 miles a year! Luv this state! not to mention the 1988 mo home... that moves less then 3000 a year too.....

whiteworks
06-21-2007, 10:47 AM
how are all these hopped up ricers getting tags?

YeLLowBoaT
06-21-2007, 10:49 AM
$100 hand shake to the smog tech...I know of more then one smog station that does not even look under the hood, as long as it passes emissions they don't care. So what they do is they go have 1 big or a couple cats put on there car... only prob is if you get cuaght with your car that way, its a feloney... lets just say I went thru this with a sibling.

CarBizIndio
06-21-2007, 10:56 AM
The smog shops will usually take a similar car that will pass smog and run it on the dyno and just enter in the info of the hopped up ricer.

CarBizIndio
06-21-2007, 10:57 AM
$100 hand shake to the smog tech...I know of more then one smog station that does not even look under the hood, as long as it passes emissions they don't care. So what they do is they go have 1 big or a couple cats put on there car... only prob is if you get cuaght with your car that way, its a feloney... lets just say I went thru this with a sibling.
Its not a felony, the first time they get caught the owner of the shop received a fine and if they continue they get shut down.

YeLLowBoaT
06-21-2007, 11:18 AM
Its not a felony, the first time they get caught the owner of the shop received a fine and if they continue they get shut down.
not the owner of the shop... the car owner...

Baja Big Dog
06-21-2007, 11:50 AM
I sent a message to SEMA, and here is the answer.
Chris:
If enacted into law, California A.B. 616 would require the annual (rather than biennial) testing of non-exempted vehicles 15-years old and older. In other words, currently the bill would require that vehicles in model years 1976-1992 would be subjected to yearly tests. The bill would pick up an additional model year for each year it is in effect. While these might not now be “classics” under the traditional definition, they would soon attain this status. Most importantly, the extra fees generated from the additional tests would be used to scrap these older cars. If scrapped, these cars will not be around to serve as classic restoration projects or as a source for parts. The bill does not require the testing of pre-1976 vehicles.
It’s a bad bill, made worse by the fact that it doesn’t take into account that vehicles of the targeted era are generally driven by poor and fixed-income motorists.
I hope this information helps.
Steve McDonald
SEMA

edog_103
06-21-2007, 12:32 PM
What if a guy were to do a non-op on the car and let it sit in is yard?