PDA

View Full Version : fuel pump

jets4me
02-14-2006, 03:54 PM
i have a 10.71 blower 2 1050 dominators will or will not a holly blue pump work

Fiat48
02-14-2006, 04:30 PM
2 of them and no regulators might work. But no way will one.

jets4me
02-14-2006, 04:47 PM
ok but would it be to much fuel pressure for the carbs with no regulater

Fiat48
02-14-2006, 05:03 PM
Yes..you have to make a fuel bypass system. I'll see if I can find a thread on that.
http://www.***boat.net/forums/showthread.php?t=85607&highlight=bypass
http://www.***boat.net/forums/showthread.php?t=72947&highlight=fuel+regulator

jets4me
02-14-2006, 05:20 PM
thank you so much for your help fiat48

sanger rat
02-14-2006, 05:20 PM
This will do it. http://www.essexind.com/sx_frame.htm And you can buy it here. http://www.force-efi.com/sx.htm

slowasscp
02-14-2006, 05:29 PM
I would run the big product engineering pump with there filter its all the pump you will need.

GofastRacer
02-14-2006, 06:31 PM
I would run an injector pump with a bypass(after the carbs)plain, simple and reliable!..

Bobbo541
02-14-2006, 07:31 PM
If you guys need a return fuel system call Jonh at Johns fuel and carb. 510-786-2505 he makes the fuel logs and uses areomotive pumps and regulators.

Bobby Knight
02-14-2006, 11:01 PM
second the comment on the product engineering fuel systems. Ran one 605ci, 14-71, 1250 dominators, 7000rpm. Never missed a beat. buy their regulator, relay kit, and pump/filter combo (about $950) but by far the nicest product on the market. They have great tech support also, I think I dealt with Mike.

superdave013
02-15-2006, 09:44 AM
for the money I like these pumps. Will feed your engine no problem and you'll have hundreds left over for a regulator and a few lake trips.
Just happen to have a few on the shelf.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/1503big_block_chevy-med.JPG

fastsanger
02-15-2006, 03:10 PM
598 blown 2 1050,clay smith by far the best pump out there wouldnt buy another electric fuel pump if you paid me

GofastRacer
02-15-2006, 06:33 PM
wouldnt buy another electric fuel pump if you paid me
I'll second that!..

MandDPerformance
02-15-2006, 08:40 PM
Electric pumps break and seize up all the time. I would never run unless I absolutely had too. The Clay Smith pump works great with a good regulator. I still run a Mechanical pump on our Motor. It makes over a 1.000 HP and has never run out of fuel.
I like the bypass style regulators because of the fact that they don't limit the fuel going to the engine.

Wet Dream
02-16-2006, 04:51 AM
How much are you getting for that Clay Smith?

jets4me
02-16-2006, 09:10 AM
fuel pump $ 120.00

superdave013
02-16-2006, 09:40 AM
How much are you getting for that Clay Smith?
check your pm

C.Fisher
02-16-2006, 10:58 AM
superdave013
Are these pumps available for the Mercruiser style sea pumps?

superdave013
02-16-2006, 01:22 PM
superdave013
Are these pumps available for the Mercruiser style sea pumps?
nope

jets4me
02-16-2006, 07:25 PM
ok i have the mechanical pump coming and a enderle check valve can someone give me some idea how to run this they said i would not need a regulater and i have the fuel line for the blower so i have 1 num #8 fittings for each carburater

PC Rat
02-16-2006, 07:27 PM
Electric pumps break and seize up all the time. I would never run unless I absolutely had too. The Clay Smith pump works great with a good regulator. I still run a Mechanical pump on our Motor. It makes over a 1.000 HP and has never run out of fuel.
I like the bypass style regulators because of the fact that they don't limit the fuel going to the engine.
Have you done a bypass system with two fuel tanks? How?
Just looking for more ideas.
Brian

GofastRacer
02-16-2006, 07:53 PM
ok i have the mechanical pump coming and a enderle check valve can someone give me some idea how to run this they said i would not need a regulater and i have the fuel line for the blower so i have 1 num #8 fittings for each carburater
That's right you don't need a regulator, just make sure the bypass is set at 8lbs max and you put it "after" the carbs.

superdave013
02-17-2006, 09:49 AM
That's right you don't need a regulator, just make sure the bypass is set at 8lbs max and you put it "after" the carbs.
Art, how are you setting up the return for the ave. jet boat that has 2 tanks and no return bungs?

BrendellaJet
02-17-2006, 10:04 AM
I saw a deal infomaniac did where he ran the bypass right back into the fuel pump supply line.

GofastRacer
02-17-2006, 12:59 PM
Art, how are you setting up the return for the ave. jet boat that has 2 tanks and no return bungs?
If you're drawing from the top of the tanks(which most do) you pretty well have to run the line to the main line going to the pump, that works since you're not bleeding volume just pressure!. If you draw from the bottom you can run a line to any one of the tanks since they will draw evenly, I think going into the main line is a little more sanitary though!..

superdave013
02-17-2006, 01:35 PM
becarefull doing it like that. If you get to close to the inlet of a pump like these Clay Smith deals it will just suck that regulator wide open. At least try to return it before the filter / water sep.
I don't see the big whoop for return systems with these kinds of pumps myself. Yeah, the fuel might be a little cooler and it gets those restrictive regulators out of the way. But there are plenty of dead head regulators that can feed lots of horsepower. The Quickfuel guys told me they made over 1,000 hp with one of their cheep O regulators and only used one of the 2 ports.
Now with a constant flow style pump you have no choice and with elect pumps it's a great idea to keep the pump from over heating. Prolly can go right to the inlet on those because they don't have the suction like the 6 valve mech. pumps do.

GofastRacer
02-17-2006, 08:34 PM
becarefull doing it like that. If you get to close to the inlet of a pump like these Clay Smith deals it will just suck that regulator wide open. At least try to return it before the filter / water sep.
I don't see the big whoop for return systems with these kinds of pumps myself. Yeah, the fuel might be a little cooler and it gets those restrictive regulators out of the way. But there are plenty of dead head regulators that can feed lots of horsepower. The Quickfuel guys told me they made over 1,000 hp with one of their cheep O regulators and only used one of the 2 ports.
Now with a constant flow style pump you have no choice and with elect pumps it's a great idea to keep the pump from over heating. Prolly can go right to the inlet on those because they don't have the suction like the 6 valve mech. pumps do.
Hell I would never put it right by the pump, I'd put it where the two tanks come together to one line, no chance of sucking the bypass open!.. Now if I was to use an injector pump, then I would definitely run a line to the tank don't want a restriction!. With an electric pump how is it going to keep the pump cool by returning at the pump?, it's already has cool fuel going thru it??..

MikeF
02-17-2006, 08:47 PM
With an electric pump how is it going to keep the pump cool by returning at the pump?, it's already has cool fuel going thru it??..
WFO baby, WFO. :wink: :mix:

superdave013
02-19-2006, 06:45 AM
Hell I would never put it right by the pump, I'd put it where the two tanks come together to one line, no chance of sucking the bypass open!.. Now if I was to use an injector pump, then I would definitely run a line to the tank don't want a restriction!. With an electric pump how is it going to keep the pump cool by returning at the pump?, it's already has cool fuel going thru it??..
Just checking, I've seen it tried a few times. What heats up the motor in those elect. pumps is when they are pumping against a dead head system. You can hear the pump all happy until the fuel pressure rises. Once it gets up to pressure you can hear the pump straining. MikeF's boat is a classic case of this. a return system would take all that strain off his pump.

GofastRacer
02-19-2006, 06:07 PM
Just checking, I've seen it tried a few times. What heats up the motor in those elect. pumps is when they are pumping against a dead head system. You can hear the pump all happy until the fuel pressure rises. Once it gets up to pressure you can hear the pump straining. MikeF's boat is a classic case of this. a return system would take all that strain off his pump.
Ok I know what you're talking about, another reason not to run an electric pump!.. :D

jets4me
02-25-2006, 08:45 PM
mechanical pump can you return to the inlet of the pump or not that is the cleanest way to run the lines so can o can not

texas-19
02-26-2006, 06:10 AM
I saw a deal infomaniac did where he ran the bypass right back into the fuel pump supply line.
I remember that 2 and it was just in front of the mechanical pump

jets4me
02-26-2006, 08:28 AM
ttt

Barry_R
02-27-2006, 01:32 PM
Up until the lat two years every single Winston/Nextel/Busch/Craftsman race vehicle ran a variation on the Carter mechanical. No Clay Smith, no Edelbrock, no Holley, No Airtex - - 100% Carter stuff. Of course only Airtex, Carter, and Pierce make mechanical pumps anyways - - the rest of those guys just buy Airtex or Pierce and make boxes....
Right now the Cup guys have moved to a billet pump with Carter guts made and marketed by CV Products. The Carter based pumps will outflow the big 6 valve stuff by a bunch, and is made from aluminum instead of pot metal (zinc).

superdave013
03-02-2006, 04:45 AM
Barry, Just so you know. The Clay Smith guys start with raw castings and detail them (remove casting flash and that sort of thing) in house. Then put them together. I have no idea where the castings come from but it sounds like you do. Just letting you know they do more then re-bage them.
Welcome to the forums.

MikeF
03-02-2006, 05:31 AM
CV pump valves
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/153Valves.jpg

Infomaniac
03-02-2006, 06:17 AM
Yea I have returned to the pump inlet of a several mechaincal pumps including a Clay Smith without any problems.
It is not the preferred method but sometimes necessary. My favorite is to return to wherever the tanks "T" together. The bypass mfg will say return to the air space of the tank. The pump has to pump it all the way there and multiiple tanks is more plumbing.
I have mounted a bypass directly to a 6 check valve pump outlet and returned to the inlet with no problems. Some electric and mechanical aircraft pumps do this internally.

jets4me
03-02-2006, 10:44 AM
i returned it to the tee were the to tanks come together man that works slick i have 6 and half psi so what do i need to get it to 9 smaller washer in the check ball