PDA

View Full Version : V-Drive Insurance.

dmontzsta
06-21-2007, 12:48 PM
Will insure a V-Drive with o/t headers? :D

Wozencraft
06-21-2007, 03:36 PM
Will insure a V-Drive with o/t headers? :D
dmontzsta, thanks for writing. We CAN insure v-hull boats with O/T headers, as long as the boat is no older than 20 years. I hope this helps. Let me know if I can be of further assistance.
Devin Wozencraft

Jordy
06-21-2007, 04:13 PM
What kind of insurance are you looking for DMxcuse??? Trailer or garage insurance??? We know that thing is never going to hit the water anyway. :D :D :D

Wozencraft
06-21-2007, 04:23 PM
What kind of insurance are you looking for DMxcuse??? Trailer or garage insurance??? We know that thing is never going to hit the water anyway. :D :D :D
Hey Jordy, nice seeing you here. It was great meeting up with you at the Desert Storm Poker Run. All the best to you and your family.
Devin

dmontzsta
06-21-2007, 05:55 PM
Nice one, now run along, we are talking business here. :)
So you CANNOT insure flatbottoms from the 70s? :D

Wozencraft
06-21-2007, 09:59 PM
Well, that is a tough one. I actually made a call today to an underwriter friend just to discuss your question. For small fast boats, I was trying to plea for allowing coverage if I were to submit a thorough marine survey or documentation showing a full overhaul. Wasn't successful.
However, there is a new program coming that may allow coverage for small fast boats from the 70's and newer. Stay tuned. I'll be sounding the fog horns and trumpets when I have access. :)
Devin

Wicked_Tahiti
06-22-2007, 08:28 AM
Well, that is a tough one. I actually made a call today to an underwriter friend just to discuss your question. For small fast boats, I was trying to plea for allowing coverage if I were to submit a thorough marine survey or documentation showing a full overhaul. Wasn't successful.
However, there is a new program coming that may allow coverage for small fast boats from the 70's and newer. Stay tuned. I'll be sounding the fog horns and trumpets when I have access. :)
Devin
Please msg us, i have a 79 tahiti just about finished with a complete restore.
we need to insure this thing while sitting in my driveway :)
thanks
Benjamin

dmontzsta
06-22-2007, 02:50 PM
Hopefully you can do it, that would be cool. The only other place I know of is Tarhagen and Mahone (sp?).

Jordy
06-22-2007, 04:38 PM
Hey Jordy, nice seeing you here. It was great meeting up with you at the Desert Storm Poker Run. All the best to you and your family.
Devin
Great meeting you too Devin. Congrats on getting your own section too!!! Baller. :D :D :D
You're always getting the business when you post around here. :D
In all seriousness, when I had my Spectre it was insured through Allstate, and they said once I had that policy I could put my '78 Riviera jet on a rider on the Spectre's policy and it was cheap too. But they couldn't insure it on it's own because of the age limitation. Just a thought. Go buy a Baylitter and insure it, then add the flattie. ;)

78Southwind
06-22-2007, 05:40 PM
How about insurance for a Family Cruiser with a stock 454?:D 1972 21' Hallett
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/72Hallett_V_Drive3.jpg

suckin&pumpin
06-22-2007, 06:04 PM
I have yet to find anyone who will insure my76 centurion with ot exhaust all stock and slow and willing to pay but no one will cover, seems to be a theme among jetters that no one will touch us, yet we seem to have less accidents than lake lice or wave boats, we are usually more respectfull on the water or maybe I am mixed up?

Wozencraft
06-22-2007, 08:48 PM
Hey, nice lookin' boat...and the good news is most likely I can insure it for you. If the engine is covered I have a much easier time insuring...even boats built in the 70's. :)
Email me if you would like me to work up something for you. dwozencraft@farmersagent.com
Thanks for writing.
Devin

Wozencraft
06-22-2007, 08:57 PM
I have yet to find anyone who will insure my76 centurion with ot exhaust all stock and slow and willing to pay but no one will cover, seems to be a theme among jetters that no one will touch us, yet we seem to have less accidents than lake lice or wave boats, we are usually more respectfull on the water or maybe I am mixed up?
Yes, I will be the first to agree with your thoughts on "jetters" as you call them. In my experience the insurance companies don't really look as far as to the type of owner/operator that is going to own a refurbished, well taken care of, classic boat. Rather, they see offering insurance on older, faster (than normal) boats is more of an accommodation than a market focus.
I do have a new program coming soon that may open up to boats like yours. I'll be shooting off headlines when the time comes. Stay tuned.
Thanks for writing.
Devin
PS. if your boat was an '87 model or newer, I could write it today.

BobbyB
06-25-2007, 02:39 PM
I have a '77 Spectra 20 V-drive 454 and I got insured through http://www.progressivedirect.com/ I did it all online. I pay less than $500 a year for full coverage, with a 15k replacement value, and no appraisal. I don't have all of the specifics, but I did increase the coverage limits.

Wozencraft
06-25-2007, 03:52 PM
I have a '77 Spectra 20 V-drive 454 and I got insured through http://www.progressivedirect.com/ I did it all online. I pay less than $500 a year for full coverage, with a 15k replacement value, and no appraisal. I don't have all of the specifics, but I did increase the coverage limits.
Thanks for the post BobbyB, Yes, Progressive is a good choice for many boats like yours. I too am hooked up with Progressive to offer there boat insurance. Plus, the rates are the same whether you go direct or with my agency. Sometimes we have an edge in getting boats accepted over going direct because of our personal relationships with underwriters. As for V-drive boats, Progressive has made it clear that they are not insuring any boat with exposed engines or o/t exhaust. Here is an excerpt from there guidelines:
"Over the Transom Exhaust and/or Exposed Engine is unacceptable."
If I can ever be of assistance let me know. Thanks again for the post.
Devin

78Southwind
06-25-2007, 06:31 PM
Hey, nice lookin' boat...and the good news is most likely I can insure it for you. If the engine is covered I have a much easier time insuring...even boats built in the 70's. :)
Email me if you would like me to work up something for you. dwozencraft@farmersagent.com
Thanks for writing.
Devin
Does it matter if we get the boat insured in Arizona or California? A friend and I purchased the boat as a second boat since we both have our own boats that we own individually. I live in California and he lives in Arizona. We will probably find a place to keep the boat in storage out by the river but probably on the California side. The boat and trailer are both going to be registered in California.

78CoLe
06-25-2007, 09:46 PM
the arizona guy is a fire men so bust out with the discounts were safer rite

Wozencraft
06-25-2007, 09:58 PM
the arizona guy is a fire men so bust out with the discounts were safer rite
Then I better hear that boat has a halon system next to the engine! :)

78CoLe
06-25-2007, 10:13 PM
if all you have to do is hear that then yes it does

78Southwind
06-25-2007, 11:55 PM
Then I better hear that boat has a halon system next to the engine! :)
Don't give him any more ideas.:eek: :D

SANGER-RICH
08-04-2007, 07:03 PM
Great meeting you too Devin. Congrats on getting your own section too!!! Baller. :D :D :D
You're always getting the business when you post around here. :D
In all seriousness, when I had my Spectre it was insured through Allstate, and they said once I had that policy I could put my '78 Riviera jet on a rider on the Spectre's policy and it was cheap too. But they couldn't insure it on it's own because of the age limitation. Just a thought. Go buy a Baylitter and insure it, then add the flattie. ;)
you are in Arizona in California they will not do it I have Allstate too. they said they would not insure my 74 Sanger hydro because of age , horse power and headers. any thought on that

Wozencraft
08-24-2007, 12:04 AM
I was asked to give my opinion on obtaining insurance on boats with O/T & exp. engines yesterday in another section. Plus, Progressive Insurance came up as well on the topic. I am posting it here for information. Please respond if you have something to add:
[taken from: Tech Forums > Just Jets]
-----------------------------------
Okay, taking a snap shot today of programs I have available to write insurance on boats under 26' w/ O/T exhaust & exposed engines; here is the short list:
Company A: No cats/tunnels - not older than 19yrs - marine survey needed on boats 8-19 yrs old
Company B: 70 mph top speed - case-by-case acceptance, depends on which underwriter I'm talking to, the day they are having, the alignment of the moon with the stars, etc. - supporting insurance business helps
As for Progressive, they WILL NOT accept ANY boats with exposed engines or O/T exhaust! I just had the marine product manager for the whole country from Progressive in my office last week. I specifically touched base on this topic with him. After a thorough discussion, and a passing of ALL the feedback I have received from members on this board, his answer was, "No""Not Interested." If you have an agent who is offering to write your O/T exhaust and/or exposed engine boat with Progressive, make sure to ask them if they carry an active Error & Omissions insurance policy.
I hope this helps - a bit. Not so good news for a good many of boaters with well-taken care of boats which should be worthy of obtaining insurance. I continue to work with my contacts at insurance carriers to find coverage for these boats.
Devin Wozencraft

RiverGames
12-12-2007, 03:06 PM
76 kurtis runner bottom. blown bbc 518. FULLY RESTORED. can i get full coverage? maybe at least theft. i live by inglewood. i need theft

Wozencraft
12-13-2007, 11:48 AM
76 kurtis runner bottom. blown bbc 518. FULLY RESTORED. can i get full coverage? maybe at least theft. i live by inglewood. i need theft
Well...the answer is no, for now. There is one insurance company out of Arizona who we've heard will write boats like yours. We have been leaving messages for the past month with no response. It seems dead at the moment.
However, not that it helps you, but I CAN write boats under 26' W/ exposed engines-o/t exhaust up to 20 years old.
I will keep you posted if we get a return phone call from the Insurance Co. or if we find something else.
Thank you for your inquire!
Devin Wozencraft