PDA

View Full Version : Duramax 12k service

Magic34
06-21-2007, 10:31 PM
What should I have done at 12k miles. I mainly tow and heavy loads most of the time, but I dont put more than 8k miles or so on each year.
I am due for oil and fuel filter, but do I need a tranny flush and service?
I was quoted $450(inc tranny), when I was expecting $200 tops. What should this cost?

Kachina26
06-21-2007, 10:38 PM
Holy fock! Are you mechanically inclined? Fuel filter is easy enough to do yourself. Tranny service is like an oil change. $450 is too much, I'm not big on tranny flushes, just the plain service will suffice.

Jordy
06-22-2007, 12:16 AM
Call me for the tranny fluid service in about 40K and we'll talk. Flush it out with some Transynd and you'll be good for another 100K. :D

Magic34
06-22-2007, 05:46 AM
So, should I leave the transmission alone for now? Is it OK even pulling all that weight where I would need the service yet. Maybe at 20k? Like I would even have it that long :D but.. 20k?

BLOWN HOWARD
06-22-2007, 05:48 AM
I change my Fuel Filter once every 6months and change the oil every 3000miles and change the spin on tranny filter every oil change or every other.And change the in pan tranny filter once a yr. I am anal but need my truck to last as long as possible.

bear down
06-22-2007, 05:59 AM
My tranny guy says if your specifically towing heavy loads ( I tow my 40' warrior) you should change your tranny fluid and spin on fin filter every 15k-20k miles but he prefers I do it every 15k miles. then every other tranny flush change both filters. it keeps the fluid fresh and shifting smoother.
he charges me $109 for the single filter flush and $139 for both filter changes. good luck

uvindex
06-22-2007, 06:10 AM
I was quoted $450(inc tranny), when I was expecting $200 tops. What should this cost?There's an old saying, "Never ask a barber if you need a haircut." Going to a dealer and saying, "I want the 12K service" is not the same as going to the dealer and asking for ONLY the items that the owner's manual recommends for 12K. :) Dealers (not bashing them--they're in business to make money) typically recommend stuff that's not recommended in the manual. I never do that stuff, I follow the MANUFACTURER'S recommendations, not the dealers. I'm sure your recommended maintenance schedule has a "heavy towing" or "extreme use" section, so I'd do only what it recommends. Good luck. :)

BadKachina
06-22-2007, 06:24 AM
The last trannie flush I had done was at Wilhelm Automotive and they charged around a hundred for a PSD. Oil change and fuel filter should be between 100 and 125. 400 seems a little high. Call around.......

drtywhat
06-22-2007, 07:03 AM
Mike,
I went to the stealership to have the oil changed on the duramax i got from you guys......167.00 bucks for fuel filter, amsoil upgraded oil, oil filter. :sqeyes: :sqeyes: . Looks like I will be doing it myself next time for 1/2 the cost. I just cant fathom draining 10 qts of oil in my garage! Hey mike do you know what type of exhaust system was put on the truck?? name brand?

AZKC
06-22-2007, 07:16 AM
Call me for the tranny fluid service in about 40K and we'll talk. Flush it out with some Transynd and you'll be good for another 100K. :D
Transynd is pricey but is the shiznit for Allisons:)

LHC30Victory
06-22-2007, 07:21 AM
I change my motor oil every 5K. Along with that, I change the Trans spin on filter and top off the fluid level. I change the fuel filter every 10K and lube the steering/suspension at that time. I changed the front, rear and transfer case fluids at 25K.
If you need detailed help you may want to go to the DIY forum at DieselPlace.com. Lotsa good advice from Duramax gearheads there as to what type of fluids work best etc...they even have pictures of where the drain/fill plugs are :rolleyes:

drtywhat
06-23-2007, 10:47 AM
where does everyone buy there spin on ally tranny filters?

Daytona100
06-23-2007, 10:58 AM
The Allison tranny is pretty bulletproof its a medium duty truck trans. Don,t throw your money away read the owners manual. Pull the trans dipstick is the fluid dirty, dark smell funny? If it,s clear not discolered don,t waste your money. If it,s dark and smells burnt bitch up a storm it,s under warrenty. Do whats recommended by your service manual and if you feel kinda froggy learn how to spin a filter on yourself. Lefty loosey righty tighty.:D Mike

LHC30Victory
06-24-2007, 11:12 AM
where does everyone buy there spin on ally tranny filters?
Napa - Wix Gold filters :D

Jordy
06-24-2007, 12:59 PM
Do whats recommended by your service manual and if you feel kinda froggy learn how to spin a filter on yourself. Lefty loosey righty tighty.:D Mike
Don't throw the magnet away with the old filter though. ;)

Magic34
06-25-2007, 12:44 AM
Hey mike do you know what type of exhaust system was put on the truck?? name brand?
I will try to find out this week for you. I am sending my brother to China to get a deal set up... Looks like we'll be exporting prodtuct there. :)
If he has time to look it up before he goes, then he'll have it, If not, I will know mid-July for you.
Thanks.