PDA

View Full Version : CA to AZ registraion help...I'm sick of the property tax!

driverno8
06-22-2007, 09:23 AM
Ok. Need some help here. I've heard so many different ways to do this but I need the correct way. Here goes.
My boat now is registered in CA. I'm really over the $950 a year property tax I have to pay every year. Now that I own a house in LHC and the boat stays there I want to register it with AZ. Putting AZ numbers on it, etc. What I really want is to get rid of the f'n property tax. How do I go about doing this. I know I have to go to the AZ DMV (or what ever they call it out there). What do I bring with me? I know this is going to be the easy part, but how do I politly tell the County of San Bernardino to go f**k them selves. Are they going to hit me with a fee for leaving? Just need some straight up answers. If it makes any difference I have the pink to both the boat and trailer.
Thanks in advance.

Riveratz
06-22-2007, 09:27 AM
Just go to the MVD in AZ. (Gotta love that place compared to Ca DMV, My longest wait was like 5 minutes so far) Take your registration and tell them you want to change your Boat and Trailer to AZ. You use it there more then 50% and thats the way they want it. Then when you get your property tax statement just fill it out saying it is registered in AZ.

laveycrafter
06-22-2007, 09:29 AM
Go here, read this, and If you are a full time resident you pay those prices. They also do non resident which is more of course, but way less than luxury tax!. You will not have to pay the luxury tax once it is registered in AZ. The trailer is about the same there as it is here too, so it's a wash.......You have the pinks for both so it should be fairly simple.
http://www.dmv.org/az-arizona/boat-registration.php

Boatcop
06-22-2007, 09:31 AM
Print this out, (http://www.azgfd.gov/pdfs/outdoor_recreation/application_of_certification.pdf) fill it out and send it in. Include your CA title.
Include a check for the annual fee, depending on your boat's length:
Non-Resident
0 to 12 ft. $100.00
12 ft. 1 in. to 16 ft. $110.00
16 ft. 1 in. to 20 ft. $222.00
20 ft. 1 in. to 26 ft. $259.00
26 ft. 1 in. to 39 ft. $292.00
39 ft. 1 in. to 64 ft. $330.00
64 ft. 1 in. and over $495.00
Even though you own property in AZ, you are still a non-resident. resident rates are for people who actually live in AZ.

yopengo
06-22-2007, 09:31 AM
I love the AZ MVD. Got new AZ ID cards, boat and trailer reg and out in 35 minutes. Only $40 :D

Kachina26
06-22-2007, 09:33 AM
You don't want to do the trailer there unless you don't plan on towing in CA. If you have Ca plates on the truck and AZ plates on the trailer, you are gonna get hassled. My truck stays in AZ, so I registered it all out there. I did it legit, non resident, for now.

Boatcop
06-22-2007, 09:37 AM
Just go to the MVD in AZ. (Gotta love that place compared to Ca DMV, My longest wait was like 5 minutes so far) Take your registration and tell them you want to change your Boat and Trailer to AZ. You use it there more then 50% and thats the way they want it. Then when you get your property tax statement just fill it out saying it is registered in AZ.
The MVD in AZ doesn't have anything to do with boats.
And if you register the trailer in AZ, don't bring it into California for any reason. California expects their residents to register ALL of their vehicles in CA (boats not included) if the vehicles are used in California.
If you are a California resident and have a vehicle in CA registered in another state, it's a misdemeanor offense that carries a fine of $1,000-$1,500. The vehicle will be impounded until you show that you have paid all back fees, penalties and interest. Not to mention the towing and impound fees.

Riveratz
06-22-2007, 09:52 AM
The MVD in AZ doesn't have anything to do with boats.
And if you register the trailer in AZ, don't bring it into California for any reason. California expects their residents to register ALL of their vehicles in CA (boats not included) if the vehicles are used in California.
If you are a California resident and have a vehicle in CA registered in another state, it's a misdemeanor offense that carries a fine of $1,000-$1,500. The vehicle will be impounded until you show that you have paid all back fees, penalties and interest. Not to mention the towing and impound fees.
Not to hijack this thread but...
But here is a question that I have... Not that it matters as I will be a full time Resident in a week but in the past...I spend 50% of my time in AZ and 50% in Havasu. 3 1/2 Days each place. My vehicles have been bought in the last year and knowing that I would be living there in the future I registered them in AZ. Now still having a CA license driving in California what would they say in this situation? Just asking in case someone else has a similar situation...

azgfboatgirl
06-22-2007, 09:52 AM
Please tell the DMV to stop giving out titles to boats. :eek:
BAD BAD BAD!! :devil:

driverno8
06-22-2007, 10:03 AM
Print this out, (http://www.azgfd.gov/pdfs/outdoor_recreation/application_of_certification.pdf) fill it out and send it in. Include your CA title.
Include a check for the annual fee, depending on your boat's length:
Non-Resident
0 to 12 ft. $100.00
12 ft. 1 in. to 16 ft. $110.00
16 ft. 1 in. to 20 ft. $222.00
20 ft. 1 in. to 26 ft. $259.00
26 ft. 1 in. to 39 ft. $292.00
39 ft. 1 in. to 64 ft. $330.00
64 ft. 1 in. and over $495.00
Even though you own property in AZ, you are still a non-resident. resident rates are for people who actually live in AZ.
The title? Or a copy of the title. Or do you mean my current CA registration?

Boatcop
06-22-2007, 10:04 AM
Not to hijack this thread but...
But here is a question that I have... Not that it matters as I will be a full time Resident in a week but in the past...I spend 50% of my time in AZ and 50% in Havasu. 3 1/2 Days each place. My vehicles have been bought in the last year and knowing that I would be living there in the future I registered them in AZ. Now still having a CA license driving in California what would they say in this situation? Just asking in case someone else has a similar situation...
They would cite you for being a CA resident with out of state registration. It's hard to argue that you aren't a CA resident if you have an CA Drivers License.

Boatcop
06-22-2007, 10:05 AM
The title.

Riveratz
06-22-2007, 10:06 AM
They would cite you for being a CA resident with out of state registration. It's hard to argue that you aren't a CA resident if you have an CA Drivers License.
Good point... Like I stated. 1 more week only....
Thanks

Riveratz
06-22-2007, 10:07 AM
Since you have the title take it. (Damn Ballers....)
They will issue a new one from AZ.

driverno8
06-22-2007, 10:14 AM
The title.
Thanks BC. Form is already printed out. Just got to get some numbers off the boat and i'll send it in. I think I'll leave the trailer reg in CA incase I bring it home. Like I stated, my main thing is getting rid of the CA property tax.

Boatcop
06-22-2007, 10:16 AM
Since you have the title take it. (Damn Ballers....)
They will issue a new one from AZ.
Arizona is a non-title state. They won't issue a new title, but your Certificate of Numbers (registration form) acts as an ownership document.

driverno8
06-22-2007, 10:16 AM
The title.
I just re-read this. Do you want me to send in my original title/pink slip?

Lavey5150
06-22-2007, 10:17 AM
Call Libby at Az-Game/Fish- You can register as out of state if you don't have an AZ Driver License..................

driverno8
06-22-2007, 10:22 AM
OK. Don't answer that. I just read it on the web-site. It's the original. But here's a new question. Are they going to give me back a new pink with AZ info on it?

azgfboatgirl
06-22-2007, 10:24 AM
You need to send your original title (pink) with application and non-resident fees. :D
Libby @ AZ Game & Fish

driverno8
06-22-2007, 10:30 AM
You need to send your original title (pink) with application and non-resident fees. :D
Libby @ AZ Game & Fish
Done. Last question and I'll leave you guys alone....promise.
On the form it has a spot to fill in amounts. Registration Fee is $292 but what's the Transfer Fee ? That way I can fill in and mail in the correct amount. Also, is it going to be $292 a year for registation or is it every other year like CA. CA is like $35 every other year for the sticker (or something like that). If it is. Oh well. $292 is still a HELL of a lot better then the $950 they bill me, which I always pay late so it ends up being $1100+:D

azgfboatgirl
06-22-2007, 10:32 AM
On the form it has a spot to fill in amounts. Registratino Fee is $292 but what's the Transfer Fee ? That why I can fill in and mail in the correct amount. Also, is it going to be $292 a year for registation or is it every other year like CA. CA is like $35 every other year for the sticker (or something like that). If it is. Oh well. $292 is still a HELL of a lot better then the $950 they bill me, which I always pay late so it ends up being $1100+:D
Total fee is $292.00. It will be $292.00 annually.
Off to lunch.....be back later. :)

driverno8
06-22-2007, 10:35 AM
Thanks for your help!;) Questions have been answered. I'm off for the weekend.:D

Boatcop
06-22-2007, 10:38 AM
On the form it has a spot to fill in amounts. Registration Fee is $292 but what's the Transfer Fee ? That way I can fill in and mail in the correct amount. Also, is it going to be $292 a year for registation or is it every other year like CA. CA is like $35 every other year for the sticker (or something like that). If it is. Oh well. $292 is still a HELL of a lot better then the $950 they bill me, which I always pay late so it ends up being $1100+:D
No transfer fee if you're just changing to AZ registration. The transfer fee is if someone with a boat registered in Arizona is transferring it to a new owner.
The registration is annual. The first registration period will be for 12 months. The second period could be anywhere from 6 months to 18 months, to get the boat registration in cycle with the staggered registration system. You're second registration period fees will be prorated up or down, accordingly.
After that, it will be renewed annually.

plaster dave
06-22-2007, 10:49 AM
I believe driverno8 still needs to pay this years tax. I would what till Dec. 31 to do it. I sold a boat and in may and had to still pay and the new owner had to pay also.

Chipster27
06-22-2007, 11:10 AM
The transfer fee is if someone with a boat registered in Arizona is transferring it to a new owner.
And a whopping $4 at that :D

mbrown2
06-22-2007, 11:26 AM
So just moved to AZ; 1 boat is already registed in AZ (non res); one is registered in Cali... both trailers registered in Cali...
Should I wait till renewal is up on the AZ boat to switch to resident? any benefit doing now or waiting till next year?
If you don't have title, do you just present your california registration for trailer and boat when doing the transfer for the Cali registered boat?
So the trailer reg gets handled via MVD? and the boat via the Fish and Game correct?

azgfboatgirl
06-22-2007, 11:32 AM
I believe driverno8 still needs to pay this years tax. I would what till Dec. 31 to do it. I sold a boat and in may and had to still pay and the new owner had to pay also.
Don't wait till December 31st to submit to Phoenix. Start the process no later then October. 30 day processing by mail, so if something is wrong it gets sent back and we have to start all over again. :(

Boatcop
06-22-2007, 11:47 AM
So just moved to AZ; 1 boat is already registed in AZ (non res); one is registered in Cali... both trailers registered in Cali...
Should I wait till renewal is up on the AZ boat to switch to resident? any benefit doing now or waiting till next year?
If you don't have title, do you just present your california registration for trailer and boat when doing the transfer for the Cali registered boat?
So the trailer reg gets handled via MVD? and the boat via the Fish and Game correct?
You won't get any benefit to changing to resident registration before the current period is up. You won't get a refund. About 30-45 days before your current registration is due, send proof of residency and they will convert the next registration to resident rates.
You'll need the title for the California registered boat. You can get a duplicate from the CA DMV.
And yes. MVD does the trailer and AZGFD does the boat.

Chipster27
06-22-2007, 12:33 PM
Is there an office in Havasu I can take my documents to in order to accellerate the transfer process? I spoke to someone with the Game and Fish Department and she made it sound like I needed to go to Kingman...

HocusPocus
06-22-2007, 12:40 PM
Is there an office in Havasu I can take my documents to in order to accellerate the transfer process? I spoke to someone with the Game and Fish Department and she made it sound like I needed to go to Kingman...
you will need to go to kingman.

Chipster27
06-22-2007, 12:43 PM
you will need to go to kingman.
The alternative is to mail them, right?

KLEPTOW
06-22-2007, 01:11 PM
Ok. Need some help here. I've heard so many different ways to do this but I need the correct way. Here goes.
My boat now is registered in CA. I'm really over the $950 a year property tax I have to pay every year. Now that I own a house in LHC and the boat stays there I want to register it with AZ. Putting AZ numbers on it, etc. What I really want is to get rid of the f'n property tax. How do I go about doing this. I know I have to go to the AZ DMV (or what ever they call it out there). What do I bring with me? I know this is going to be the easy part, but how do I politly tell the County of San Bernardino to go f**k them selves. Are they going to hit me with a fee for leaving? Just need some straight up answers. If it makes any difference I have the pink to both the boat and trailer.
Thanks in advance.
One last thing be prepared for them to not go away, After 4 plus years they still send me letters for a car that I transfered to AZ.
Cali is truly the energizer bunny with a dick.............

HocusPocus
06-22-2007, 01:27 PM
The alternative is to mail them, right?
i have always gone down to do a transfer and then mail in my renewals.

probablecause
06-22-2007, 01:38 PM
About two years ago, AZ got hip to the out of staters and raised the fees. Mine went from about 100.00 to 225.00. I have an 89 jet boat that is 21 feet. For you guys with newer boats, you will definitely see the savings, but for someone with an older boat, the pinch begins.