PDA

View Full Version : any whippled 496ho gurus here?

Hotcobra270
06-22-2007, 04:21 PM
I'm having the blower put in next week and I'm not totally sure if I'll have to upgrade to a bigger prop. I was running the bravo 1 26p at 4300 RPM @ 65mph full throttle with my stock 496HO.
I think that I should have been running a 24p prop in order to get a bit more mph and get the RPM's closer to 4900.
I'm thinking that I with the 26p prop I'll be riding the Rev limiter with the blower.
i called bronson hill propellers, and they asked me to find out what RPM the engine should be running at WOT with the supercharger (I dont know).
I'm thinking that I at least have to go up to a 28p most likely to a 30p prop..
Any suggestions?
Thanks

nodigg
06-22-2007, 05:24 PM
I'm no guru but you'll for sure get more rpm out of your 26 after the install.
Every boat/driver/hull is different but I'd say don't mess with a prop change till you see how she runs after the install. On a side note, be sure to watch your oil temps before and after the install to protect your motor.
Unless you have a VERY efficient bottom and a light load you will probably only go 2 numbers higher on the prop. (depending of course on the boost) Since you probably should have had a 24 before install, I'd say 26 may be just about right with the added horses. More importantly, you'll get out of the hole easier than before. If you are running a Bravo 1 be sure to protect it by rolling the power both on and off and avoid the temptation to slam the throttle in either direction. Best of luck and be sure to give us a report on the after effects.

Hotcobra270
06-22-2007, 06:44 PM
I'm no guru but you'll for sure get more rpm out of your 26 after the install.
Every boat/driver/hull is different but I'd say don't mess with a prop change till you see how she runs after the install. On a side note, be sure to watch your oil temps before and after the install to protect your motor.
Unless you have a VERY efficient bottom and a light load you will probably only go 2 numbers higher on the prop. (depending of course on the boost) Since you probably should have had a 24 before install, I'd say 26 may be just about right with the added horses. More importantly, you'll get out of the hole easier than before. If you are running a Bravo 1 be sure to protect it by rolling the power both on and off and avoid the temptation to slam the throttle in either direction. Best of luck and be sure to give us a report on the after effects.
i got the drive taken care off ... its being beefed up to handled 650 horses chief.... thanks for the imput

VegasHallett
06-23-2007, 09:14 AM
Your rev limiter will be set around 5300 to 5350. A 28p will be the most you can pull on a nice day with not a heavy load (still might have to be labbed to get to 5300rpm's). I think a 26p prop will be good for you on a everyday use and a 28p when all conditions are perfect. Remember the whipple will make more power when the rpm's are higher and turning more boost. You want your prop to just hit the rev limiter. I have a whipple 2.3L on a 502 and can only pull a 28p @ 76mph gps @5300. However after 640 hrs I'm putting in a new 540 with all the goodies. My 28p was a good speed prop but my 5 blade 26p was my power prop which ran 73mph gps @ 5200 rpm. The five blade brought my cruising rpm's down a lot and rode a lot better. Now I have to change all props for the new engine.
I upgrade to an XR but ran the stock bravo outdrive for a good amount of time with the whipple. Even with a beefed up outdrive be cautious taking off. With the whipple you wan't to roll into and out of the throttle evenly just to be kind to your equipment. Also unless you have upgraded head gaskets and a large oil cooler don't run wide open for a long period of time. What finally got my motor was a blown head gasket. But I'm very happy getting over 640hrs on a stock 502 with a whipple.
Good luck and enjoy the supercharger!:D

Just foreplay
06-25-2007, 08:06 AM
I'm having the blower put in next week and I'm not totally sure if I'll have to upgrade to a bigger prop. I was running the bravo 1 26p at 4300 RPM @ 65mph full throttle with my stock 496HO.
I think that I should have been running a 24p prop in order to get a bit more mph and get the RPM's closer to 4900.
I'm thinking that I with the 26p prop I'll be riding the Rev limiter with the blower.
i called bronson hill propellers, and they asked me to find out what RPM the engine should be running at WOT with the supercharger (I dont know).
I'm thinking that I at least have to go up to a 28p most likely to a 30p prop..
Any suggestions?
Thanks
Your rev limiter will be set around 5300 to 5350. A 28p will be the most you can pull on a nice day with not a heavy load (still might have to be labbed to get to 5300rpm's). I think a 26p prop will be good for you on a everyday use and a 28p when all conditions are perfect. Remember the whipple will make more power when the rpm's are higher and turning more boost. You want your prop to just hit the rev limiter. I have a whipple 2.3L on a 502 and can only pull a 28p @ 76mph gps @5300. However after 640 hrs I'm putting in a new 540 with all the goodies. My 28p was a good speed prop but my 5 blade 26p was my power prop which ran 73mph gps @ 5200 rpm. The five blade brought my cruising rpm's down a lot and rode a lot better. Now I have to change all props for the new engine.
I upgrade to an XR but ran the stock bravo outdrive for a good amount of time with the whipple. Even with a beefed up outdrive be cautious taking off. With the whipple you wan't to roll into and out of the throttle evenly just to be kind to your equipment. Also unless you have upgraded head gaskets and a large oil cooler don't run wide open for a long period of time. What finally got my motor was a blown head gasket. But I'm very happy getting over 640hrs on a stock 502 with a whipple.
Good luck and enjoy the supercharger!:D
Good advice here....
I have a 06' 28 ft Vee, 4600lbs with a 496 & XR drive. Came w/ 26 pitch prop.
After whipple install,
Whipple industries set my PCM to hit the rev limiter at 5450 rpms.
26p banged the rev limiter, with speed @76-77mph. switched to a 28p and dropped the rpm down to 5300 rpm @ 83mph.
I will be bringing the boat down to Whipple to have Dustin dial in the PCM for boat and conditions. Hoping to gain some rpms..
I too blew a head gasket, but I believe it was due to a bad install.
Make sure to get the manual for your Whipple, it has a lot of info.
Examples:
Install extra gauges per Whipple's recomendations.
Use Water wetter, helps promote heat transfer to coolant.
Do not run in boost over 165 deg. engine coolant temp. Pre-detonation is a very bad thing....Not good for head gaskets either...lol Whipple kit comes with a 120 deg T stat, your builder should confirm that is is working and flowing correctly.
Some times they have to drill several holes around the T stat to get it to flow correctly. Also why a up graded oil cooler is a good idea...
Anyway, good luck with your install, hopefully my spec's and advice will help you.
Chuck

VegasHallett
06-25-2007, 09:01 AM
Good advice here....
I have a 06' 28 ft Vee, 4600lbs with a 496 & XR drive. Came w/ 26 pitch prop.
After whipple install,
Whipple industries set my PCM to hit the rev limiter at 5450 rpms.
26p banged the rev limiter, with speed @76-77mph. switched to a 28p and dropped the rpm down to 5300 rpm @ 83mph.
I will be bringing the boat down to Whipple to have Dustin dial in the PCM for boat and conditions. Hoping to gain some rpms..
I too blew a head gasket, but I believe it was due to a bad install.
Make sure to get the manual for your Whipple, it has a lot of info.
Examples:
Install extra gauges per Whipple's recomendations.
Use Water wetter, helps promote heat transfer to coolant.
Do not run in boost over 165 deg. engine coolant temp. Pre-detonation is a very bad thing....Not good for head gaskets either...lol Whipple kit comes with a 120 deg T stat, your builder should confirm that is is working and flowing correctly.
Some times they have to drill several holes around the T stat to get it to flow correctly. Also why a up graded oil cooler is a good idea...
Anyway, good luck with your install, hopefully my spec's and advice will help you.
Chuck
I wonder why your rev limiter is set a little higher than mine was. I talked to Dustin awhile back and he stated the rev limiter was about 5350. Has your 496 been worked on or is it stock? 83 mph on a stock 496 with a whipple is very good numbers. Are you running the 6 pound boost package (Stage 2)? What was your speed before the whipple? As far as the temp I never saw anything over 110 degrees.

Just foreplay
06-25-2007, 12:35 PM
I wonder why your rev limiter is set a little higher than mine was. I talked to Dustin awhile back and he stated the rev limiter was about 5350. Has your 496 been worked on or is it stock? 83 mph on a stock 496 with a whipple is very good numbers. Are you running the 6 pound boost package (Stage 2)? What was your speed before the whipple? As far as the temp I never saw anything over 110 degrees.
My motor is the 496 HO if it makes a difference in rpm. Was bone stock, only had 28.1 hrs on motor before Whipple install. It ran 63 mph when trimmed out. I figure I picked up 13 mph with the install. Maybe a bit more with some slight chop...
I figure I have 5lbs of boost because the fuel pressure regulator is set to 48psi at WOT.
Mine blew a head gasket after 9.9hrs of install. The "New" builder pointed out the temp issues that old builder did not address. Also was not furnished a manual to double check little details.. It alway's the little details. That's why I mentioned it...

Hotcobra270
06-25-2007, 03:17 PM
thanks for the info guys...
I should have the install done by this weekend so I can do some testing..
My boat is similar to Vegashallet in size and weight so lets see what happens..
i'll keep you guys posted with results and testing

DMOORE
06-25-2007, 03:50 PM
One of the common issues in this thread is "blown head gasket". You have to make sure those motors run cool. A buddy of mine installed a Whipple on his 496HO last fall. After the first weekend he realised he HAD to go with the larger heat exchanger. The water on the Colorado is simply too warm to efficiently cool the whippled 496 with the stock exchanger. If you were running Tahoe or the Big Blue, it would be a different story. Spend the money before you run it. It will save time AND money later.
Darrell.

Hotcobra270
06-26-2007, 05:49 PM
update:
spoke with installer and i told him about the larger heat exchanger.
he said that i could get it but that i dont really need it.. he did say that i needed a sea strainer ...
id feel better having it just in case.. do you guys know how much it cost for one? i could find any prices on the web..
im getting the blower powder coated red so it looks like it should be all done by early next week..
thanks for the advise

VegasHallett
06-26-2007, 08:30 PM
I'm getting one of the big ones from teague custom marine for a motor rated over 700 hp (4" by 22"). You won't need to go that big but any other heat exchanger from these vendors will be good.
http://teaguecustommarine.com/2002/catalog/catalog_interface.html
http://www.keitheickert.com/detail.aspx?ID=2312
http://www.cpperformance.com/detail.aspx?ID=2311
The big ones will have to be installed near a stringer to have enough room. It's kind of a tight fit on the motor.
The price range is anywhere from $250 to $500 depending on size. Try www.offshoreonly.com they have a lot of good info.
update:
he said that i could get it but that i dont really need it.. he did say that i needed a sea strainer ...
id feel better having it just in case.. do you guys know how much it cost for one? i could find any prices on the web..
im getting the blower powder coated red so it looks like it should be all done by early next week..
thanks for the advise

scarabrick2
06-27-2007, 06:53 AM
update:
thanks for the advise
Do yourself a favor and BUY a Sea strainer and a Larger oil cooler. Get them both mounted and have fun. Later, you will upgrade(we all do) and you will be covered for any hp you throw at it. Vegashallett has a sea strainer ,getting a larger oil cooler(rated to 950 hp) PLUS he also has DUAL RAM HYD steering. All of this is a must!!!! You want your motor to run for a few hd hours and feel safe when running at the speeds. You should try a 5 blade prop after you run your 4 blade. Vegas hallett picked up 5 mph and a lower cruise rpm with the 5 blade.
**********Vegashallett has a 5 blade (labbed by Mercury racing) 26" prop for sale. **********
You have to go down 2 inches in pitch when going from a 4 to a 5 blade.
Be safe and enjoy

blender over
06-27-2007, 07:35 AM
My boat is a little different than yours but i had a procharger installed with 3 1/2 psi on my 496 ho, i went from a 26 pitch bravo 4 blade to a 28 pitch and picked up 10mph :eek: on a 2002 257 carrera.
I believe i need a bigger heat exchanger because it will get hotter than 180 over and extended period of time.
Best bang for the buck, just dont hold it W/O too long:D

scarabrick2
06-27-2007, 08:15 AM
My boat is a little different than yours but i had a procharger installed with 3 1/2 psi on my 496 ho, i went from a 26 pitch bravo 4 blade to a 28 pitch and picked up 10mph :eek: on a 2002 257 carrera.
I believe i need a bigger heat exchanger because it will get hotter than 180 over and extended period of time.
Best bang for the buck, just dont hold it W/O too long:D
:D :D :D :D :D :D You got thta right? BANG !!!!!!!!!!!
Keep it cool and the throttle closed :) :)