PDA

View Full Version : Marine schools and employment

Running_on_Empty
06-23-2007, 01:45 PM
Due to my growing love for these boats. I am considering going to school to be a marine tech. I was just wondering if anybody had or knows someone who has had experience doing this. I've herd wyotech is a good place to go, but I've never met anyone who has gone there. Does anybody know what type of hourly rate these guys get? Any help of feedback would be great. Thanks. ROE

sangerflatty
06-23-2007, 09:06 PM
I am a MMI grad out of orlando,In my honest opion it is a waste of money,I was fortunate enough to get a job as a shop assistant in my 3rd week of school, You learn 10 times more hands on in a shop with guys that have been doing this for awhile, once in the shop they will send you to a update class on there dime not yours, even when you do graduate with that degree, that means nothing to the company,they want experience and wont start you out very high on the pay scale till you prove yourself, so in other words dont go and try to get a job in a shop to start learning.;)

Running_on_Empty
06-23-2007, 09:15 PM
Do they teach you much at all? I don't have a whole lot of knowledge, and I'm from Indiana so shops are far and few between. Do they not have very good job placement there? Where are you from? How much did school cost you? Where did you live while in school and how much was that? Nice sanger.

sangerflatty
06-23-2007, 09:22 PM
they yeach you the basics,they do have job placement for life as well as they put you in a 2 bedroom apt with 4 students, some go to the motorcycle program and some go to marine program,but they do mix you up all over orlando in many different locations, when i went about 7 years ago it was 12,000, but i think it has gone up, that is with the pwc class and merctech class 12mos long all together,sanger is still coming together but thank you

Running_on_Empty
06-23-2007, 09:25 PM
I'm getting mine together too. I'm trying to figure out something to do with my life other than where I'm working now. I thank you for the input. It is always better to talk to someone who has been there and done that. What kind of wages were guys starting out at when they got out of school? Do you work in the marine field now?

watergun4u
06-23-2007, 10:07 PM
Well first of all, it is worth it to go to a marine school,or training class, they do teach you alot, and its all about what you want out of it, as to how far you go with it and how much you can make! I have been a certifed marine tech for over 26 years, certifed, in Merc Cruiser, OMC,VOLVO PENTA,Mercury, johnson and evenruide,Also certified in marine power motors, also trained to build jet pumps,berkely,american turbine,etc,, I enjoyed doing it and started from the ground up, meaning I started out washing boats at the age of 16,and worked my way up from there, due to the boat biz being my passion,at 19 was offered the chance to go to school to train to become a marine tech, and jumped at it, the first class I took was merc crusier thats when they where still teaching classes up in hayward calif, and my instructor was great, it was a 2 week course at that time, and it was for 8 hours a day, and at the end of the 2 week course I came away from there with alot more no how then I went in with, and I am a very Inclined mechanic, and I at that time pretty much new my wat around a motor and other stuff, but had no clue as to how to work on a out drive or anything like that, and after taking that class I had complete understanding of how they worked and how to work on them and service them! So to me the class was way worth it, and at that time I belive the cost was around 1700,, I am sure it is more now and from there I went to all the other classes and became certifed in all,and the rest is history, I made a great living, around 45,000 a year, from there I went on to build boats from the ground up, custom boats, not a perduction boat, and then combined the two and opened my own biz, and started making really good money,80,000 to 120.000 a year, SO like I said it all in what you make of it, and if you got your heart set in the right direction. I am 43 now and still loving it! just my .02!!!!!!:D

Running_on_Empty
06-23-2007, 10:22 PM
Thank you for your input. I just want to do something I have an interest in. This bullshit of hating your job sucks. I think this school has programs similar to the type of training you have. Its probably closer to 20 grand by now, and its a 60 week course.