PDA

View Full Version : Broken valve in Edelbrock head

CVX20Dustin
06-23-2007, 04:48 PM
What are some causes for a valve to brake. The motor has maybe 50 hours on it. The heads are new Performer RPM all the other cylinders are fine. The exhaust vavle broke at the bottom of the stem wear it starts to flare out and the rest of the stem is still cliped in to the spring. It took the block, piston and head out. I was wondering if the head could be repaired pic attached.
Thanks

pw_Tony
06-23-2007, 05:17 PM
As long as it didn't dig into the seats or crack the head you could technically still run them with some new seats/valve job

79centurion
06-23-2007, 06:22 PM
That sucks. I just had somthing simillar hapen to me

HammerDown
06-23-2007, 06:27 PM
What are some causes for a valve to brake. The motor has maybe 50 hours on it.
Not saying this caused your problem but...When I lost an Exhaust Valve several years ago (broke the same area as yours) the engine builder said it may be due to water reversion...cool water spraying on the HOT Exhaust valve. It caused some serious damage back then.
He suggested and installed (Feria Inconel) Valves, been in the engine for years and years. He said..."the Feria's just don't snap".

Rexone
06-23-2007, 06:39 PM
Hammer has 2 good points there. Water as one possible cause.
Good quality valves as the other (good valves are much less likely to break).
There are a bunch of possible causes that can contribute, just a few.. inadequate valve to pistion clearance, inadequate spring to close the valve at high rpm or overrev, overrev itself, heat (as in too lean[intakes especially suceptible to this]), too little valve in too high power of engine (quality), some other valve train problem holding the valve open (or not opening it enough) or foreign object getting through the intake, broken spring, flat cam, etc etc etc etc. Many problems will have a bad effect on engine running prior to breaking valve off, many will not.
And then sometimes shit just happens when everything's the best it could have been.

TIMINATOR
06-23-2007, 06:59 PM
I have repaired worse damage to aluminum heads, and have pics to prove it! I don't know how to post them though. The repaired head is on an unlimited class roadrace car that runs at Firebird raceway(Phoenix.AZ and elsewhere). I believe that it holds a lap record or two...
I don't use Edelbrock heads myself, just my choice. TIMINATOR

CVX20Dustin
06-24-2007, 12:13 AM
79 sorry to hear about your bad luck.
I thought Edelbrock heads had good valves.
I will try to clean up the head before buying a new one.
The boat was has a rev limiter 5200 and the head gasket looked good.
So shit happens

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
06-24-2007, 07:59 AM
Good thing about aluminum heads is that you can repair them;)

SmokinLowriderSS
06-24-2007, 12:13 PM
One of the reasons I think it is smarter to buy bare heads, valves separately, springs separately (with the cam). You know exactly what you are getting, have exactly what you want, and can reasonably expect it will all work together properly (esp. the springs with the cam/lifters).
Even if it does cost you a few more dollars, I think that knowledge is well worth it.

CVX20Dustin
06-24-2007, 09:22 PM
Expensive way to learn.

DEL51
06-25-2007, 08:13 PM
Timinator is correct, again, regarding the repair. The damage is not that bad. I have seen much worse damage on heads and they were fixed and still in use.Rex and others are also right regarding the causes. I favor the lean. I had a similar valve failure on an exhaust valve with a melin 310 cc head and my Iron chamber was nicked up but not bad.

CVX20Dustin
06-26-2007, 02:34 AM
Looked a little closer to the other bank and something got over there and did a little damage to head. It was striaght across from the bad cylinder. Going to pull the motor today and look at bottom end.

VAMI
06-29-2007, 10:47 AM
In Vest In Some Name Brand One Piece Valves. Most Heads That Come Complete Have Cheap Two Piece Valves In Them

CVX20Dustin
07-01-2007, 12:51 AM
VAMI, going to look in to that when I get done talking to Edelbrock

thmper321
07-01-2007, 04:45 PM
I have bent two exhaust valves in Iron Cobra Jet heads on two separate occasions and two different valves. Luckily niether one broke as Iron heads would have been repairable. The valves were one piece Rev Valves. Still havent figured out why they are bending yet but getting tired of taking them off the same weekend I put them on.

07-01-2007, 05:10 PM
Another reason for a valve to break is a seat that isn't concentric. The valve will fatigue from it working back and fourth trying to seat itself. Factory valve jobs from Edelbrock are junk and should always be redone if for nothing else just to make sure the valves and seats are straight and true.

07-01-2007, 05:25 PM
I have bent two exhaust valves in Iron Cobra Jet heads on two separate occasions and two different valves. Luckily niether one broke as Iron heads would have been repairable. The valves were one piece Rev Valves. Still havent figured out why they are bending yet but getting tired of taking them off the same weekend I put them on.If you have covered the usual stuff like piston/valve clearance, etc. then check your guide to stem clearance. Sounds like the valves are sticking in the guide and the pistons are hitting the valves. Assuming you have iron guides try .0025-.0032" clearance with a umbrella seal or no seal at all. [exhaust only] might smoke a little upon startup but should not be a problem overall.

GofastRacer
07-01-2007, 05:55 PM
One of the reasons I think it is smarter to buy bare heads, valves separately, springs separately (with the cam). You know exactly what you are getting, have exactly what you want, and can reasonably expect it will all work together properly (esp. the springs with the cam/lifters).
Even if it does cost you a few more dollars, I think that knowledge is well worth it.
I agree a 110%!..

Beer-30
07-01-2007, 05:59 PM
What are some causes for a valve to brake. The motor has maybe 50 hours on it. The heads are new Performer RPM all the other cylinders are fine. The exhaust vavle broke at the bottom of the stem wear it starts to flare out and the rest of the stem is still cliped in to the spring. It took the block, piston and head out. I was wondering if the head could be repaired pic attached.
Thanks
BTW, were these the marine performer RPMs? or just regular automotive performer RPMs?
The marine version comes with severe duty valves (Inconel exhs).

CVX20Dustin
07-02-2007, 02:21 AM
Dont recall if they were marine or not. Will be putting better valves in if I run this heads again.