PDA

View Full Version : Do pums wear in?

OUTLAW HALLETT
06-23-2007, 08:52 PM
i have a new jg with shoe ride plate speed loader droop diverter and im not getting the rpms i was hoping for out of it i was wondering if a new pump will hold back a motor because of the tightness from being new it is probley a shot in the dark but worth the time to ask any other ideas i have a 455 .30 over some light head porting fairly fresh 750 holley single plaine intake with a comp 268 cam im only getting about 4500 rpms and was hoping for more i will be putting a offy tunnel on in the next couple of weeks to help my hp curve on top end bty its an a impellor any imput would help thanks again

BrendellaJet
06-23-2007, 09:19 PM
A new pump will do this, as will a rebuilt pump. You aren't getting the same R's as you used to because your old pump probably needed a rebuild and was cavitating slightly to get the additional rpms.
Be careful with that olds. I thnk 4500 is about the limit for continued/sustained high rpm use. I wouldn't push it any harder unless all of the common olds oiling problems had been resolved first.

OUTLAW HALLETT
06-24-2007, 06:05 PM
A new pump will do this, as will a rebuilt pump. You aren't getting the same R's as you used to because your old pump probably needed a rebuild and was cavitating slightly to get the additional rpms.
Be careful with that olds. I thnk 4500 is about the limit for continued/sustained high rpm use. I wouldn't push it any harder unless all of the common olds oiling problems had been resolved first.
they have been tahnks so will the rs come up a little as it wears in ?

BrendellaJet
06-24-2007, 09:19 PM
they have been tahnks so will the rs come up a little as it wears in ?
Well then, let her rip. Unfortunately you aren't making enough power to turn it any harder. What size impeller is in it? You could have it trimmed some to allow more R's, but I wouldn't do anything drastic as that would reduce holeshot potentially.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
06-24-2007, 09:23 PM
Thats what happens when your pump becomes efficient;) I wouldnt recommend spinning an olds no higher than 4900r's

IMPATIENT 1
06-24-2007, 09:37 PM
Thats what happens when your pump becomes efficient;) I wouldnt recommend spinning an olds no higher than 4900r's
listen to this man! olds aren't known as rpm monsters like fords or chebby(and we're not talking about olds alum race motors here)

HotDogz
06-25-2007, 05:59 AM
A CompCams 268 bumpstick is more of a stock profile than a performance one. You may be looking at making around 390-400 HP especially with a single plane intake and that cam profile. You should be looking at least a 280 cam.
Oil mods, oil mods, oil mods, a must with an Olds. Mine will spin to 5250rpms not afraid of 5000 but you always have to watch your oil pressure. Sucked a 10 qt pan dry once and ended up having to build another the right way. I run a 292 CompCam with a single plane and 750 Holley but desktop dyno says it may be more efficient with a 280 cam in it.
Good luck...theres still more in there.