PDA

View Full Version : water pick up ?

77charger
05-30-2003, 04:53 PM
How is done correctly for a race boat set up.Do you use the regular pick up and the water pump
forced fed w/o the pump
fill the block with water.
closed system
Right now we use the pick up with the water pump but seems like we are getting to much pressureat high speed and rpm right now the boat is turning 7300 at the traps But would like to still use as a river boat also

126driver
05-30-2003, 05:54 PM
Personally, we still run the small neovane pump and like the fact that we can fire up the boat while sitting on the rope waiting for the water to calm down so all of the drag guys can finish their passes and give us the water. wink :p We've run the boat without the impeller and force-fed the system in a pinch though.

GofastRacer
05-30-2003, 08:32 PM
The only time you need a water pump is when you're idling around, otherwise force fed works. The thing to remember is if the engine is hot and you come to an idle and you don't have water flowing thru the motor, you can develop a steam pocket in the block and that's a bitch to get out!.If you're not going be doing a lot of idling around, don't worry about it. I ran without a water pump for a long time, never had a broblem but when I came to an idle, I shut off the motor!... :)

Infomaniac
05-30-2003, 08:37 PM
I ended up with a pump but no impeller. Could not get any heat in the engine (alcohol) Cut 2 ears off the impeller at a time until I ended up with none. Left the pump on to keep the cam from walking out.
Now I let it idle - it gets temp - I take off and the temp stays put.
I do very little idling around.

GofastRacer
05-30-2003, 09:04 PM
LOL, I did the same thing, found out that force fed overcomes the pump anyways, it's only good for idling!.. :D

Ratacole
05-30-2003, 09:19 PM
How fast do you have to be going to over come the pump? If I end up with a bald impeller will I get better flow & is there any special pickup that will work better for that application, also would a bolt-on oil cooler change anything.

ssmike
05-30-2003, 09:51 PM
Ratacole:
How fast do you have to be going to over come the pump? If I end up with a bald impeller will I get better flow & is there any special pickup that will work better for that application, also would a bolt-on oil cooler change anything. Hey Mike -
Whats up.....Do you have a cooler?? I have one that I was going to run but I might sell it......
Are you coming up for CFW Fathers Day??
ssmike

Ratacole
05-30-2003, 10:08 PM
ssmike:
Ratacole:
How fast do you have to be going to over come the pump? If I end up with a bald impeller will I get better flow & is there any special pickup that will work better for that application, also would a bolt-on oil cooler change anything. Hey Mike -
Whats up.....Do you have a cooler?? I have one that I was going to run but I might sell it......
Are you coming up for CFW Fathers Day??
ssmike Mike,
Whats up? I just picked up a cooler last week, I wish I would have known. It's good to keep the cash in the family. I got the time off for CFW now it's just a matter of cash. Hay, I should have a car wash
smile_sp

GofastRacer
05-31-2003, 05:33 AM
Ratacole:
How fast do you have to be going to over come the pump? If I end up with a bald impeller will I get better flow & is there any special pickup that will work better for that application, also would a bolt-on oil cooler change anything. Hard to say how fast, depends a lot on the way it's plumbed(restrictions?). On mine(a flat), as long as I was on plane I had water flowing and that's with a Dan Olson cooler. The flow should be the same whether you have no pump or a pump with no impeller. Any style pickup should work, I use a tube cut on an angle thru the bottom of the boat just behind the strut, I'm sure it would work the same if you have the pickup on the plates!... :)

BigBoyToys
05-31-2003, 05:40 AM
Hey GFR, check you PM's

GofastRacer
05-31-2003, 06:08 AM
BigBoyToys:
Hey GFR, check you PM's Back at ya!.. :)

BigBoyToys
05-31-2003, 06:14 AM
Got it GFR...Thanks. It helps out alot. Now I guess I better figure out wtf type of balancing I have (can't remember....Been through too many engines and don't remember on this particular engine)

GofastRacer
05-31-2003, 07:34 AM
BigBoyToys:
Got it GFR...Thanks. It helps out alot. Now I guess I better figure out wtf type of balancing I have (can't remember....Been through too many engines and don't remember on this particular engine) Anytime!. If it ain't internal, it would worth while getting it done though, you only have to do the front!. :cool:

stix818
05-31-2003, 11:36 AM
I'm sure you probably have a good idea by now but I'm bored here at work. My flat has the pickup on the plate and I have my impeller installed. I run 7900 on the big end and haven't had any problems. I haven't had any problems developing heat in the engine either so it seems to work well. My philosophy is, if it ain't broke don't fix it.
is, if it's not broken don't fix it.

Ratacole
05-31-2003, 12:41 PM
I go through 3-5 impellers a year & at $20.00 a pop it gets old. I lost a vein yesterday & if I can get away with it I will leave the thing in there until I am veinless & see what happens.
Thanks for the help guys!!!!!!
Mike

Rexone
05-31-2003, 02:15 PM
Broken off vanes can get caught in your fittings and cause major overheating. If you want them off take them off and don't wait until they break off by themselves. Just a tip. :)

WILDERTHANU54
05-31-2003, 02:25 PM
I'VE SUCKED THOSE GUYS INTO THE WATER LINES...WHAT A BITCH.

126driver
05-31-2003, 02:31 PM
Ratacole:
I go through 3-5 impellers a year & at $20.00 a pop it gets old. I lost a vein yesterday & if I can get away with it I will leave the thing in there until I am veinless & see what happens.
Thanks for the help guys!!!!!!
Mike You'll burn up your impeller in a heartbeat if you fire it up without water to the pump.

GofastRacer
05-31-2003, 08:29 PM
Ratacole:
I go through 3-5 impellers a year & at $20.00 a pop it gets old. I lost a vein yesterday & if I can get away with it I will leave the thing in there until I am veinless & see what happens.Holy shit, 3 to 5 impellers a year eek! eek! What are you doing man, running them dry??, they are only good for 30 seconds dry! :confused: I still have my Neovane from my first boat I bought in 73 and I'm now on my 3rd impeller. And that's only because I listened to someone who said to cut vanes off to get heat in the motor and I ended up FKN up an impeller!. :mad: Tip: When you lose vanes, you better find them because they will end up plugging up one of your lines sooner or later!.. frown

Infomaniac
05-31-2003, 08:36 PM
GofastRacer:
Ratacole:
I go through 3-5 impellers a year & at $20.00 a pop it gets old. I lost a vein yesterday & if I can get away with it I will leave the thing in there until I am veinless & see what happens.And that's only because I listened to someone who said to cut vanes off to get heat in the motor LOL worked for me. :p
[ May 31, 2003, 09:37 PM: Message edited by: Infomaniac ]

Kindsvater Flat
05-31-2003, 08:47 PM
I change impellers at the beginning of every season and have no failure for the whole year. Pretty cheap insurance to me.

GofastRacer
05-31-2003, 09:01 PM
Kindsvater Flat:
I change impellers at the beginning of every season and have no failure for the whole year. Pretty cheap insurance to me. Guess I'm cheap huh!.. :D :D :D :D

GofastRacer
05-31-2003, 09:02 PM
Infomaniac:
GofastRacer:
Ratacole:
I go through 3-5 impellers a year & at $20.00 a pop it gets old. I lost a vein yesterday & if I can get away with it I will leave the thing in there until I am veinless & see what happens.And that's only because I listened to someone who said to cut vanes off to get heat in the motor LOL worked for me. :p :D :D :D

Infomaniac
05-31-2003, 09:06 PM
That cut off impeller seems to never wear out. It will last forever. I run it dry all the time.
I could take it off but I might loose the woodruff key.
I did change the bearings and seals last year.
[ May 31, 2003, 10:07 PM: Message edited by: Infomaniac ]

GofastRacer
05-31-2003, 09:10 PM
Infomaniac:
That cut off impeller seems to never wear out. It will last forever. I run it dry all the time.
I could take it off but I might loose the woodruff key.
I did change the bearings and seals last year. Yeah no shit huh!, :D :D

Ratacole
05-31-2003, 09:49 PM
I put a new one in at the start of the season (Billy B's Bash) & I lost a vein 2nd time out after Needles. I never run it out of the water & I always pull the broken veins out. Maybe my pump is f@@ked up & the guy at the speed shop likes selling me impellers burningm I have asked him if I needed a new pump & he said "the faster it spins the quicker they wear out" burningm If I don't do too much idleing around do you think I will be OK with a neo-novein? My pump is the one that has a tapered impeller if that helps.

Ratacole
06-01-2003, 06:29 PM
:confused:

ssmike
06-01-2003, 06:35 PM
Ratacole:
:confused: Mike - Good talking to you.....You have a Neovane???
I have a spare and will give it to you for FREE at CFW..
Be there>>>

GofastRacer
06-01-2003, 07:11 PM
Ratacole:
I put a new one in at the start of the season (Billy B's Bash) & I lost a vein 2nd time out after Needles. I never run it out of the water & I always pull the broken veins out. Maybe my pump is f@@ked up & the guy at the speed shop likes selling me impellers burningm I have asked him if I needed a new pump & he said "the faster it spins the quicker they wear out" burningm If I don't do too much idleing around do you think I will be OK with a neo-novein? My pump is the one that has a tapered impeller if that helps. Man something's wrong here, do you have any built up crud in the cover that can tear the impeller up?, when you're done using it, do you squirt WD in there?. I always squirt some in and turn the motor over a couple of times to make sure it's all lubricated so when the next time I start it up, it's not dry, and if I let it sit any amount of time, I take the cover off to relax the vanes!. "the faster it spins the quicker they wear out", that's bullshit, I run my motor 7500, that's only 3750 for the pump!. You can idle all you want as long as water is flowing thru it, if you have a restriction that prevents that at idle and it ends up running dry, then you will fry it up!. I'm sure you have the V-755 pump and you should not be replacing impellers all the time!.. :confused:

Rexone
06-01-2003, 07:53 PM
I agree with GoFast you shouldn't be eating impellers like that. Unless you're running it dry at start up or on the ramp or something like that. Running them dry will ruin them pretty quick. I've run 755 impellers for 2-3 years without problems before.

Ratacole
06-01-2003, 08:04 PM
GofastRacer:
Ratacole:
I put a new one in at the start of the season (Billy B's Bash) & I lost a vein 2nd time out after Needles. I never run it out of the water & I always pull the broken veins out. Maybe my pump is f@@ked up & the guy at the speed shop likes selling me impellers burningm I have asked him if I needed a new pump & he said "the faster it spins the quicker they wear out" burningm If I don't do too much idleing around do you think I will be OK with a neo-novein? My pump is the one that has a tapered impeller if that helps. Man something's wrong here, do you have any built up crud in the cover that can tear the impeller up?, when you're done using it, do you squirt WD in there?. I always squirt some in and turn the motor over a couple of times to make sure it's all lubricated so when the next time I start it up, it's not dry, and if I let it sit any amount of time, I take the cover off to relax the vanes!. "the faster it spins the quicker they wear out", that's bullshit, I run my motor 7500, that's only 3750 for the pump!. You can idle all you want as long as water is flowing thru it, if you have a restriction that prevents that at idle and it ends up running dry, then you will fry it up!. I'm sure you have the V-755 pump and you should not be replacing impellers all the time!.. :confused: I don't do the WD thing or take the cover off. The inside looks good & I clean it every time I replace the impeller. The vanes break at the base so maybe relaxing them will work. I will also do the WD thing. Thanks for your help!!!!!!
Mike

Sangster
06-01-2003, 08:07 PM
Wd-40 is not recommended to be used on rubber it will speed up deterioration of the impeller...

Ratacole
06-01-2003, 08:11 PM
ssmike:
Ratacole:
:confused: Mike - Good talking to you.....You have a Neovane???
I have a spare and will give it to you for FREE at CFW..
Be there>>> Mike, nice to talk to you as well. I am doing the Map Blast thing & I will know by the end of the week about CFW. Talk to ya soon....

Ratacole
06-01-2003, 08:13 PM
Sangster:
Wd-40 is not recommended to be used on rubber it will speed up deterioration of the impeller... What would you use :confused:

Rexone
06-01-2003, 08:13 PM
I used to take a fitting off right before I was going to run the boat after sitting for awhile (meaning days not hours) and squirt wd40 in it. That way the impeller wasn't sitting in the wd40 in storage, just for a few minutes. Helped prime the dry pump.

Ratacole
06-01-2003, 08:16 PM
Rexone:
I used to take a fitting off right before I was going to run the boat after sitting for awhile (meaning days not hours) and squirt wd40 in it. That way the impeller wasn't sitting in the wd40 in storage, just for a few minutes. Helped prime the dry pump. So when you ran it, the water would wash away the WD?

Rexone
06-01-2003, 08:18 PM
Ratacole:
Rexone:
I used to take a fitting off right before I was going to run the boat after sitting for awhile (meaning days not hours) and squirt wd40 in it. That way the impeller wasn't sitting in the wd40 in storage, just for a few minutes. Helped prime the dry pump. So when you ran it, the water would wash away the WD? exactly :)

Ratacole
06-01-2003, 08:21 PM
Rexone:
Ratacole:
Rexone:
I used to take a fitting off right before I was going to run the boat after sitting for awhile (meaning days not hours) and squirt wd40 in it. That way the impeller wasn't sitting in the wd40 in storage, just for a few minutes. Helped prime the dry pump. So when you ran it, the water would wash away the WD? exactly :) Thanks Mike
:)

Sangster
06-01-2003, 08:22 PM
Ratacole:
Rexone:
I used to take a fitting off right before I was going to run the boat after sitting for awhile (meaning days not hours) and squirt wd40 in it. That way the impeller wasn't sitting in the wd40 in storage, just for a few minutes. Helped prime the dry pump. So when you ran it, the water would wash away the WD? Go out and spray wd-40 on the side walls of your truck tires or the dash of your car after every use...Next month let me know how much you had to pay for new tires.... eek! eek!

GofastRacer
06-01-2003, 08:28 PM
Sangster:
Wd-40 is not recommended to be used on rubber it will speed up deterioration of the impeller... Really, damn if I'd a known that, I'd still be on my first impeller!, SHIT!.. :D
WD (http://www.wd40.com/Brands/wd40_faqs.html)

Ratacole
06-01-2003, 08:31 PM
There seems to be a differance of opinion here. What do you think I should do.

GofastRacer
06-01-2003, 08:34 PM
Sangster:
Ratacole:
Rexone:
I used to take a fitting off right before I was going to run the boat after sitting for awhile (meaning days not hours) and squirt wd40 in it. That way the impeller wasn't sitting in the wd40 in storage, just for a few minutes. Helped prime the dry pump. So when you ran it, the water would wash away the WD? Go out and spray wd-40 on the side walls of your truck tires or the dash of your car after every use...Next month let me know how much you had to pay for new tires.... eek! eek! I would never use WD on tires or anything that's exposed to sun rays, it has no UV protectant!.. :)

Ratacole
06-01-2003, 08:36 PM
smile_sp smile_sp smile_sp
[ June 01, 2003, 09:39 PM: Message edited by: Ratacole ]

Rexone
06-01-2003, 08:39 PM
You are eating way too many impellers. Heat (interpreted running the pump with no water in it) I suspect is the root of this problem. Now if that's happening on dry start up, the wd40 trick will likely correct it. If not though all you will have is a well lubricated broken overheated impeller. You need to figure out what you've been doing to overheat the impeller as a first step. Continually replacing the impeller is not solving the problem.

GofastRacer
06-01-2003, 08:44 PM
Yep!.. :)

Rexone
06-01-2003, 08:53 PM
Another very quick and easy way to check if you have water in the pump on fire up is to as soon as you fire the motor go back and touch the pump cover. If it's cold you have water flow through it . If it's not you do not and need to shut it off and prime the pump so it immediately sucks water. This way you don't have to wait the 30-60 seconds it might take to fill the empty motor up and start squirting out the water dump or exhaust to be sure you have immediate water flow through the pump. I've seen pumps that will self prime no problem time after time and have also seen one that would not any way in hell prime without the wd40 trick or force feeding underway (too late for the impeller with the second option).
just another little tip. :)