PDA

View Full Version : I Don't Want To Blow Up

OverKill
06-23-2007, 09:28 PM
Guys I am putting in a new fuel sending unit. It is the one that is just a Rod/Probe in the fuel tank, there is no float. I was really curious as to how does it not ignite the fuel. After all it is an eletric probe going right into the fuel. Can someone tell me how this works, so I can stop freaking out about blowing up.
OverKill

Daytona100
06-23-2007, 09:34 PM
Hopefully has a nice ground. I would bring a extinguisher and wear some nomex on the maiden voyage. :eek: Mike

OverKill
06-23-2007, 10:04 PM
Hopefully has a nice ground. I would bring a extinguisher and wear some nomex on the maiden voyage. :eek: Mike
Well considering the fact the 30 gallon tank is right under my ass. I don't think a FE will be any good to me.

SmokinLowriderSS
06-23-2007, 10:06 PM
They work on capacitance, and airplanes have been using them for decades (like 4 or 5 decades).
They have 2 metal sleeves running 1 inside the other, separated by space.
They put a voltage against 1 sleeve, fuel will conduct a certain ammount of electricity. The voltage picked up by the other tube is directly relative to the ammount/height of tube(s) wetted by the fuel. Thisi is translated to an ohm reading for the fuel gauge.
My Taylor uses one, very nice.
Mine, if you get water in the tank, they immediately read "full" to the gauge, so you know something is up. Mine is 1/2" above the tank bottom for a "reserve" of a couple gallons.

OverKill
06-23-2007, 10:24 PM
Thanks Smoken
I guess I don't have to worry about blowing up than.

SmokinLowriderSS
06-24-2007, 04:14 AM
I am running the Centroid unit.
Info at Centroid (http://www.centroidproducts.com/data.htm)
I installed the damped version due to an, unbaffled, wide, flat tank. It reads very steadilly.
Warranty is 2 years.
They can be bent to fit aplication if needed (have bent ones made for you) and are custom length made at no charge.
I think mine set me back $65

502 JET
06-24-2007, 06:15 AM
Guys I am putting in a new fuel sending unit. It is the one that is just a Rod/Probe in the fuel tank, there is no float. I was really curious as to how does it not ignite the fuel. After all it is an eletric probe going right into the fuel. Can someone tell me how this works, so I can stop freaking out about blowing up.
OverKill
I have changed in tank fuel pumps in cars that had the wiring harness inside the tank burned up. Submerged in the gas there is no oxygen there for no fire can occur with out it.

SmokinLowriderSS
06-24-2007, 06:45 AM
Also, just for grins and education, liquid gasoline does not burn, will not burn, period. :idea:
Cold gasoline, with no or nearly no fumes above it, will extenguish any flame source put into it.:eek:
Now, the fumes, vapors evaporating from the surface of it, into air, are an entirely different story.:D

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
06-24-2007, 08:41 AM
They work on capacitance, and airplanes have been using them for decades (like 4 or 5 decades).
They have 2 metal sleeves running 1 inside the other, separated by space.
They put a voltage against 1 sleeve, fuel will conduct a certain ammount of electricity. The voltage picked up by the other tube is directly relative to the ammount/height of tube(s) wetted by the fuel. Thisi is translated to an ohm reading for the fuel gauge.
My Taylor uses one, very nice.
Mine, if you get water in the tank, they immediately read "full" to the gauge, so you know something is up. Mine is 1/2" above the tank bottom for a "reserve" of a couple gallons.
You have waaay too much info Double "A" Ron :D :D

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
06-24-2007, 08:42 AM
Thanks Smoken
I guess I don't have to worry about blowing up than.
Your all good james;) Hows the boat comming?

SmokinLowriderSS
06-24-2007, 11:32 AM
You have waaay too much info Double "A" Ron :D :D
Sometimes 396. LMAO..... Sometimes. :D

OverKill
06-24-2007, 12:14 PM
Your all good james;) Hows the boat comming?
Boat is coming along good. It's at Phils again, Putting on Ride plate, Fuel sending unit, raising the trailer bunks because it sits to low for the ride plate. Most of all getting a fiberglass airscoop.
I will be a saguaro on the 8th of July, you coming along with your ride. What all do you have left to do?? See you soon
James

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
06-24-2007, 12:36 PM
Sometimes 396. LMAO..... Sometimes. :D
;) Double A Ron is your name sucka :D AARON :D

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
06-24-2007, 12:38 PM
Boat is coming along good. It's at Phils again, Putting on Ride plate, Fuel sending unit, raising the trailer bunks because it sits to low for the ride plate. Most of all getting a fiberglass airscoop.
I will be a saguaro on the 8th of July, you coming along with your ride. What all do you have left to do?? See you soon
James
are you doing a shoe? If not then I personally wouldnt do a ride plate. Its kind like eating cereal without tha milk :D
I am dropping off my interior to be stitched this week. i almost have enough to buy valvetrain. i had to catch up on some bills so I have been tapped for $$$ lately. Pics will come very soon;) I will be done with it by the end of next month;)

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
06-24-2007, 12:40 PM
James
are you doing a shoe? If not then I personally wouldnt do a ride plate. Its kind like eating cereal without tha milk :D
I am dropping off my interior to be stitched this week. i almost have enough to buy valvetrain. i had to catch up on some bills so I have been tapped for $$$ lately. Pics will come very soon;) I will be done with it by the end of next month;)

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
06-24-2007, 12:40 PM
James

OverKill
06-24-2007, 03:05 PM
Yes It already had a shoe on it when I bought it. It has a pretty good bite to it.
I hope your not getting your interior done by Kachina. Mine came out good but had to fight the whole way to get it done right. I told them NOT TO LAG MY BOAT. So what do they do. They laged my boat. I just got to the point to stop fighting with them and just bring it to my house and do it myself.
Oh and I liked the part when they told me the carpet they used on the back of the seat was faded from the sun. It didn't match the royal blue that I had already put in the whole boat. I had to go to Mesa Sales and get more royal blue carpet so they could finish the job right. What they wanted to use was Indigo.
Oh and I almost forgot about the hex bolts they used to remount my front seats. They where to long and and cracked my new false floor. So I ended up pulling everything out and had to reglass and reresin the floor.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
06-24-2007, 05:16 PM
Yes It already had a shoe on it when I bought it. It has a pretty good bite to it.
What kind of shoe are you running? My Kachina responded very well to a 2* backcut shoe. I also had a top loader and ran the plate at 4.5* up. If you have any questions just holla at me;)

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
06-24-2007, 05:17 PM
I hope your not getting your interior done by Kachina. Mine came out good but had to fight the whole way to get it done right. I told them NOT TO LAG MY BOAT. So what do they do. They laged my boat. I just got to the point to stop fighting with them and just bring it to my house and do it myself.
Oh and I liked the part when they told me the carpet they used on the back of the seat was faded from the sun. It didn't match the royal blue that I had already put in the whole boat. I had to go to Mesa Sales and get more royal blue carpet so they could finish the job right. What they wanted to use was Indigo.
Oh and I almost forgot about the hex bolts they used to remount my front seats. They where to long and and cracked my new false floor. So I ended up pulling everything out and had to reglass and reresin the floor.
Awww hell naw!!!!!!!!!!! I have a guy on mckellips and greenfield thats going to do them. He did "eliminated1's" seats and they came out bitchin! I buy all my own materials and pay just for labor;) Kachina sucks:yuk:

SmokinLowriderSS
06-24-2007, 06:27 PM
Awww hell naw!!!!!!!!!!! I have a guy on mckellips and greenfield thats going to do them. He did "eliminated1's" seats and they came out bitchin! I buy all my own materials and pay just for labor;) Kachina sucks:yuk:
So you found a guy with his own trash can to work from eh? :D :D :D

dragboat
06-24-2007, 06:43 PM
So you found a guy with his own trash can to work from eh? :D :D :D
Yea, When its not a pump stand.:D :D :D

dragboat
06-24-2007, 06:47 PM
I am running the Centroid unit.
Info at Centroid (http://www.centroidproducts.com/data.htm)
I installed the damped version due to an, unbaffled, wide, flat tank. It reads very steadilly.
Warranty is 2 years.
They can be bent to fit aplication if needed (have bent ones made for you) and are custom length made at no charge.
I think mine set me back $65
I just got one thats about 1" to long, can they be cut to fit?

Jetaholic
06-24-2007, 06:59 PM
I just got one thats about 1" to long, can they be cut to fit?
Yes you can cut them to fit.

dragboat
06-24-2007, 07:22 PM
Yes you can cut them to fit.
Pipe cutter? Hacksaw? Any "what not to do's"