PDA

View Full Version : Low oil pressure after hydrolock

inwo
06-24-2007, 09:28 AM
Tried this on "just jets", thought I might do better here.
Stock 350 sbc. About 60 hours on it.
Last week I had some run on and sucked water into most all cyl.
Never started after locking up, but hit starter against it hard, before I knew what was up.
Flushed water out with wd40. Checked compression. All ok.
cranking oil pressure came up to 10psi.
Ran a couple tanks of gas thru it, and it ran and idled perfectly.
Yesterday after a half hour 3500 rpm run and an hour at the beach, it started fine and died at about a hundred feet out.
No oil pres so no power to elec fuel pump.
Today it has no cranking oil pres unless I pull the plugs and spin fast for 30 sec. Then it comes up to 30 psi.
Whats broke? Anything possible that doesn't require a complete teardown?
I'm draining oil now, but it's clean on the stick.

centerhill condor
06-24-2007, 09:52 AM
if you have oil pressure on the starter you should have it all the time.
maybe water in the oil pressure sending unit or something crazy?

Moneypitt
06-24-2007, 10:11 AM
Tear it down. Could be a bent rod, or a bearing going away. Water is really tough to compress and internal parts will suffer. Play it safe and pull it apart, and thank that oil sending unit for shutting you down........Also, the pressure relief in the oil pump is in the very bottom of the housing. IF any water was allowed to accumulate in the pump the relief valve may have rusted and although the excess pressure will force it open, the return spring may not close it.....Either way, if it was mine, I would tear it down.........MP

bajarunner
06-24-2007, 07:44 PM
I'm with MP. something sounds wrong here, save what you have and tear it down while you thank the oil pressure switch gods.

inwo
06-25-2007, 11:15 AM
Ok, I know I'm an idiot! Thats why I asked for help. :)
Can't leave you all hanging. I was looking for zebras all along and it was just a plain old horse.:D
Ready for this?..............
PLUGGED OIL FILTER!
I have remote mounted tandem ford filters. I had just changed them.
Reason for low, and then no cranking pressure, was of course. Not enough pressure at normal cranking speed to bypass filters.
When I removed plugs and spun it up, it would just make them bypass.
I think!
Now I know you will all say, that you assumed I was smart enough to change filters again. Well too bad, I'm not.
Am I smart enough to change filters again? We'll see.:D :D

Moneypitt
06-25-2007, 02:29 PM
What plugged the oil filters?..........Filters don't just all of a sudden stop flowing....MP

DMOORE
06-25-2007, 03:58 PM
What plugged the oil filters?..........Filters don't just all of a sudden stop flowing....MP
+1. Cut them apart and take a look. Very odd.....
Darrell.

inwo
06-25-2007, 04:05 PM
I saved them but don't know what to look for. Water maybe? No water in oil to speak of. Could there have been some in pan that didn't drain, got sucked into filter. But why no milkshake? I read all the time about water-oil mix being milky. Oil always looked like it was just poured.
Napa filters. Cranking pressure with plugs in was 0, after oil & filter change it's over 20.
You still think something else going on? It would be a big job to build a test jig for checking filters.

inwo
06-25-2007, 04:13 PM
One more thing.
It wasn't sudden. I noticed cranking pressure was only 10 before going out. But who keeps track of that?
Now I know it should be more.