PDA

View Full Version : Ford EGR and AC Question

talkinghead
06-24-2007, 12:25 PM
Thanks in advance...
I have a 2000 Expedition which overall has been a big POS. Anyway, the check engine light comes on, I pull the code and it is 1406. I look this up and it says: EGR Pintle. Does this basically mean replace the EGR?
One other question: I have a 1996 F-250. When the engine is cold and I turn on the AC it works great. Once the engine gets hot and I turn the engine off (like a stop at the gas station, etc..) and then get back in the truck, start the engine then the AC blows hot air. When I turn on the AC I hear a internal vent close and then the AC does not work. Vaccum problem maybe?

SummitKarl
06-24-2007, 02:08 PM
Thanks in advance...
I have a 2000 Expedition which overall has been a big POS. Anyway, the check engine light comes on, I pull the code and it is 1406. I look this up and it says: EGR Pintle. Does this basically mean replace the EGR?
One other question: I have a 1996 F-250. When the engine is cold and I turn on the AC it works great. Once the engine gets hot and I turn the engine off (like a stop at the gas station, etc..) and then get back in the truck, start the engine then the AC blows hot air. When I turn on the AC I hear a internal vent close and then the AC does not work. Vacuum problem maybe?
I just rebuilt my A/C on a 1995-f150.....2 things are wrong......
1) the orifice valve(low pressure filter) is clogged(most likely suspect) or the compressor is shot(thats the heat problem), it's a simple thing to do if you if you have the tools and know A/C systems, but you need to get a set of A/C gages hooked up to tell..low pressure side should read between 35-55psi and high side should not exceed 240psi but should run right around 220psi..I suspect your low pressure side will read 150+psi (bad filter)..in any case replace/clean the orifice valve first....it's located "INLINE" (steel line with connector right next to the reservoir canister).....I cannot stress this enough..DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS YOURSELF...unless you know A/C systems and how to work with them safely they are under EXTREAM!!!!!!pressure...and it's entirely possible to blow the hood right off the truck and your head along with it......please go see a professional that has the right tools;) ..the filter is $6 + labor and r-134
2nd thing..that valve you hear closing in the cab is the vent direction control..I am sure when you think your A/C is shut off it has just redirected it to the defroster vents (it's doing it when you stab the gas pedal I bet)....with the truck running and a/c on, turn the fan to low and place your ear next to the A/C control switch (far right control) and your going to hear a vacuum leak....the switch is bad or the connector to the switch is bad
play it safe.... go to a pro;)

talkinghead
06-24-2007, 04:02 PM
SummitKarl thank you very much. The AC issue I can see is a job for a pro.
On the other hand I am in amazement that I actually changed the EGR on my expedition and it reset the service engine light all by itself...
Thanks again.

SummitKarl
06-24-2007, 05:20 PM
SummitKarl thank you very much. The AC issue I can see is a job for a pro.
On the other hand I am in amazement that I actually changed the EGR on my expedition and it reset the service engine light all by itself...
Thanks again.
because the new readings to the ECM were within tolerance:D

cc322
06-24-2007, 05:38 PM
Thanks in advance...
I have a 2000 Expedition which overall has been a big POS.
THEN WHY THE HELL HAVE YOU KEPT IT SOOOOOOOOO LONG????:confused:

talkinghead
06-24-2007, 06:51 PM
I just bought it 2 years ago with 50k on it, and now it has 73k. So far I have:
Replaced coils
New Transmission
New Multi Function switch
New EGR

zudnic
06-24-2007, 10:39 PM
The EGR valve on diesels like the 6.0 PSD in my Excursion gets clogged and when it does lose power with blowing black smoke. If you un-plug them when the engine is off they stay closed. The 6.0 seems to run better this way, mine has been an awesome engine after this accidently got un-plugged. I suspect alot of the turbo problems claimed by dealers are in fact my original problem stuck open EGR no power and black smoke. Wonder if a gas engine would run better as well? :idea: :D
I'm an enviro-liberals worst nightmare. My P-car also runs no cats and mufflers bi-passed........

RiverRatMike
06-25-2007, 05:03 AM
Thanks in advance...
One other question: I have a 1996 F-250. When the engine is cold and I turn on the AC it works great. Once the engine gets hot and I turn the engine off (like a stop at the gas station, etc..) and then get back in the truck, start the engine then the AC blows hot air. When I turn on the AC I hear a internal vent close and then the AC does not work. Vaccum problem maybe?
I've had this happen on my superduty lots of times. Your EGR is dirty and needs to be removed and cleaned.