PDA

View Full Version : New Headers installed

OC28HEAT
06-24-2007, 09:40 PM
Absolute installed my new headers on my 28 heat. everything went well no gremlins. Ran boat for two days from Needles to havi springs and back. Boat ran well but would not turn the new 26p prop (it was a 24) i need another 350 rpm. Takeing the prop to Bronson Hill to Lab and Blueprint and see what that does

undertaker
06-25-2007, 05:17 AM
Cool

pw_Tony
06-25-2007, 12:49 PM
Cool:d :d
Your Avatar is giving me a really bad feeling inside:jawdrop:

undertaker
06-25-2007, 02:18 PM
Your Avatar is giving me a really bad feeling inside:jawdrop:
:D :D :D

undertaker
06-25-2007, 02:20 PM
Absolute installed my new headers on my 28 heat. everything went well no gremlins. Ran boat for two days from Needles to havi springs and back. Boat ran well but would not turn the new 26p prop (it was a 24) i need another 350 rpm. Takeing the prop to Bronson Hill to Lab and Blueprint and see what that does
Keep us posted on performance results once you get prop dialed in:D :D

OC28HEAT
06-25-2007, 07:00 PM
Bronson said he will lab them both to 25 1/4 p and thin the blades and add a little cup ready for the fouth.

Wozencraft
07-01-2007, 10:45 PM
Bronson said he will lab them both to 25 1/4 p and thin the blades and add a little cup ready for the fouth.
Thanks for posting about your new Dana Headers. Just curious, are those the ones that are stainless or chromed? I was just by Absolute yesterday and noticed them in another customers boat who just had them installed. They looked great. Aaron and Brian were recommending I put them in my HO w/Raylar. I'm curious to know what results people are having. Not just speed but acceleration & any sound difference?
Devin

Dana Marine Products
07-02-2007, 06:46 AM
The exhaust alone on a 496HO will sound much more defined than your stock exhaust. It will get slightly, and I mean slightly louder. With the long primary lengths, it keeps each cylinder separated longer, which makes it sound more race at the tail pipes.
If you're going to install the Raylar kit with exhaust, you'll notice a big difference in noise. It will be slightly louder than stock, but the idle on that motor with the described parts installed sounds very nice. We noticed a huge difference in idle charactor on the dyno, for the better. Very throaty and tough.

Dana Marine Products
07-02-2007, 06:53 AM
One more, the manifolds are aluminum and the risers are stainless steel. We can powdercoat the manifolds any color desired. Usually the risers remain polished.

Wozencraft
07-02-2007, 08:10 AM
One more, the manifolds are aluminum and the risers are stainless steel. We can powdercoat the manifolds any color desired. Usually the risers remain polished.
Thanks for your response. Brian at Absolute told me my midrange acceleration should get better with the new manifolds. What is your take?
The set I saw were polished thus looking like Stainless or chrome. However, I guess you can get that polish look on aluminum as well...which is great due to them weighing so much less.
I do have the Raylar kit, are you saying that your tests show a better result with the kit, or on a stock 496?
Thanks.
Devin Wozencraft

OC28HEAT
07-02-2007, 09:32 AM
Mine were polished. If you were at absolute then it was probably my boat (28 nordic). I am having some other stuff done and picking up on Thurs. Bob is right not too much louder but a better tone. I am not sure what my gains are yet. I was trying to turn a non labbed 26P on my boat. and it was a little slower than my labbed 24. I am picking up a labbed 25.5 tomorrow and will post my new results next week.

Dana Marine Products
07-02-2007, 12:23 PM
Both applications would benefit by changing the exhaust, either the stock 496or the Raylar upgraded engine. The Raylar converted 496 engine with DMP exhaust makes 560 horsepower and 604 ft lbs of torque.
The stock 496 made 478 HP and 548 ft lbs of torque. The stock engine dyno'd slightly higher than 425, right around 433.
We've done alot of systems, some boats, the mid range is a huge difference. What everyone has to keep in mind is the good old power to weight ratio. The lighter the boat, the more noticable the difference will be.

Wozencraft
07-03-2007, 08:49 AM
Called your shop today...thank you for taking the time to discuss your new exhaust system. Your team has gone to great lengths in R&D, along with Raylar, and the product seems to demonstrate the time invested.
Thanks again for your assistance.
Devin Wozencraft

undertaker
07-06-2007, 06:43 AM
You will notice MORE midrange power and a little better sound coming out the exhaust:D :D...on my 05 Donzi 22 classic I picked up 2 mph but a whole bunch of midrange....I also put on Dana's straight cut exhaust tips..they look nice...next upgrade I think might be the Raylar kit....Are you happy with your Raylar kit was it worth the cash.....
Undertaker:D

Wozencraft
07-06-2007, 01:00 PM
You will notice MORE midrange power and a little better sound coming out the exhaust:D :D...on my 05 Donzi 22 classic I picked up 2 mph but a whole bunch of midrange....I also put on Dana's straight cut exhaust tips..they look nice...next upgrade I think might be the Raylar kit....Are you happy with your Raylar kit was it worth the cash.....
Undertaker:D
I totally recommend it! However, like any other option it is going to cost you. Some of the best things I like with the kit are:
1. More torque for low end (take off) & midrange.
2. Run 87 Oct.
3. Better fuel economy - able to cruise with the RPM's down compared to before.
4. Longevity! The kit is basically allowing the engine to breathe easier. It is not forcing anything, thus giving the engine the same lifespan as a stock model.
Ray @ Raylar will be the best to answer any of your questions in more detail.
http://www.raylarengine.com/
[Ray, if you are out there, let me know if I'm on target with my answers]
If you live in So. Cal. ECM is a good choice for purchase & install. If you are in Lake Havasu Absolute Speed & Marine is also a good choice for purchase & install. Both companies have installed many kits.
Good luck!
Devin Wozencraft

undertaker
07-06-2007, 04:34 PM
Thanks......:D :D

undertaker
07-21-2007, 06:22 AM
Mine were polished. If you were at absolute then it was probably my boat (28 nordic). I am having some other stuff done and picking up on Thurs. Bob is right not too much louder but a better tone. I am not sure what my gains are yet. I was trying to turn a non labbed 26P on my boat. and it was a little slower than my labbed 24. I am picking up a labbed 25.5 tomorrow and will post my new results next week.
Did ya get a chance to test the new prop....what was your speed increase...
Undertaker:D :D

OC28HEAT
07-22-2007, 06:00 PM
No test with the new prop yet I was supposed to go ot this weekend but could not. Will probably go in three weeks

Wozencraft
09-18-2007, 10:36 PM
Aaron @ Absolute Speed & Marine just called me today letting me know that the new Dana Headers are installed on my 26' Force. He said the sound is awesome...real throaty. I'll have to wait a week before I get to hear them. I'm looking forward!
I'm also getting the Dana swim step added to the existing Dana transom swim plate. Thanks for your support Dana!
Devin Wozencraft
PS. Don't forget to make it out to the Havasu Poker Run, sponsored by Absolute Speed & Marine Oct. 12-13!
http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=163988
PS2. Thanks Mila!

Not So Fast
09-23-2007, 07:47 AM
I dont understand why your rpms dropped off like that (I assume they did right?) If you take the horse power gains qouted by DMP with their new headers it would make it very similar to my switch to an HP 500 (478 vs 470) and when I did this switch I installed a Bravo1 26p stock 4 blade (from a Bravo 1 24p) before it even hit the water. I lost no RPMS and picked up 5 mph (73mph), so why I wonder, did you lose those rpms:idea: Granted its not apples to apples on the boats or motors but Horse power is horse power. Maybe, as everybody says, even the same make, pitch, model props behave differently so could it be the prop itself? Just an idea to borrow another 26 and give it a try before spending the $$$ on labbing and such because if it dont work then what??? NSF

Dana Marine Products
09-24-2007, 08:47 AM
There's no sense in comparing a cat to a heavy 28 foot V-bottom boat. It doesn't matter what form of motorsports you're discussing, it's all about the power to weight ratio. We have guys with smaller, lighter weight boats that have more substantial speed gains than bigger boats, for obvious reasons. In boats that are smaller and lighter, a 40-48 HP increase is more noticable. Cat boats are going to have more noticable gains because they have half the drag of a V-bottom boat. So there's no big mystery here, just some basic physics.

Not So Fast
09-24-2007, 01:24 PM
There's no sense in comparing a cat to a heavy 28 foot V-bottom boat. It doesn't matter what form of motorsports you're discussing, it's all about the power to weight ratio. We have guys with smaller, lighter weight boats that have more substantial speed gains than bigger boats, for obvious reasons. In boats that smaller and lighter, A 40-48 HP is more noticable. Cat boats are going to have more noticable gains beacuse they have half the drag of a V-bottom boat. So there's no big mystery here, just some basic physics.
I said I knew it wasnt apples to apples but I wondered why he went up in horsepower and couldnt push one step bigger prop, thats all. I'm not comparing the two boats except in size and weight, I dont think the guy even said what speeds he ran before the install or the total RPMS at WOT. Seems to me that trying a different prop before spending money and maybe for nothing on labbing a new prop it would be a wise thing to do. NSF

Not So Fast
09-24-2007, 01:47 PM
One other thing that is possible is that the boat was at the edge of pushing a 24p so maybe that is why he had the results he had, if thats the case then labbing a 26 could be the answer, just ideas so don't get your pants in a bunch:D You headers apparently work very well and I'm not demeaning them or the results at all, OK!! NSF

Dana Marine Products
09-24-2007, 04:04 PM
No bunch, didn't mean to come across that way. Just making some statements. I like to make sure readers understand why you can see different types of results from changes such as exhaust upgrades. If our customers are up to speed on how things work they will usually expect realistic results.
As far as the question on the propeller, if you were pushing the 24 to the rev limiter with stock exhaust (or close to it), my guess would have been to try a 26 pitch after the exhaust install. If the 26 is down on RPM's, my guess would then be that the boat is probably a little heavy and may want something like a 25. Labbing a 26 will do the trick since a 25 Bravo four blade isn't an off-the-shelf item. Labbing the prop will usually free up 200-300 rpm's. As NSF suggested, anytime you can borrow a propeller for testing, it's suggested to try it before you make a substantial investment for a new prop.
If you lab the prop, or run a labbed prop, let us know what the results are.

Not So Fast
09-24-2007, 04:31 PM
Well said Bob, I guess thats what I was trying to say and please post results as I am always curious:idea: NSF

OC28HEAT
09-27-2007, 06:18 AM
Sorry that I did not get back here well it turns out that the boat needed a 25 1/4 labbed prop and it runs perfectly I did not have my GPS and my gps speedo had not come in so it did not get installed. I can tell from 5 years of driving the boat that it is a very different boat. tons of midrange. The holeshot is better and My wife would not let me get because she said it was too fast (she did not used to care) I know that it would only have been a couple of MPH but it sounds like a lot. I noticed that the transon seems cleaner. just the fact that I am able to spin another 1 and 1/4 in in pitch is a big difference in my boat.
Thanks bob for everythin