PDA

View Full Version : Grocery strike

phebus
06-25-2007, 05:03 AM
I can't believe So Cal is looking at another potential grocery strike. The last one seemed some harmfull to both sides. I can't believe negotiators can't work it out.

32sunrkt
06-25-2007, 05:55 AM
Unions have out lived much if not all of their initial or intened purpose(s). They are stiffling to business' and their shareholders. They are also bad for the ecomomy ( local, national & internation in total ). We all have so opportunity in this country of ours now a days... If you do not like where you are currently working you can go elsewhere on free will alone. Forget about the employee's, look what unions do to earnings, consumers or end users.:) :) :) :)
Another great example of unions and their greatness that we as consumers have to deal with :
Have ya'll flown lately ?? ..... have ya seen these wrinkled, cabin pickled, old , fat cow Stewardess' that squeeze
their fat asses' up & down the isle ozzzing their contemp for HAVING A JOB AND BEING EMPLOYED and hiding behind a union and senority...??
** These "senior" gals should be put out to pasture for god sake... When first employed, they should be foced to to sign a two year contract and have to wiegh in like dancers in Vegas ( for fitness in case of an emergency of course ) ... Have ya ever flown VIGIN or Singapore Airlines.... WOWEE !

GHT
06-25-2007, 06:00 AM
I remember when all the big grocery stores in Dallas were Union. All of them eventually went down and I believe there are no union stores as this time.
The unions sure could ruin a wet dream.. Greed gets the best of them and DOWN they go.

THOR
06-25-2007, 06:26 AM
Unions are great in some aspects, but these guys in the grocery stores are a joke. I would see them in the local bar drinking it up while they should be striking. Who really gives a crap about these guys is they really dont care enough about their own jobs.

Cigalert
06-25-2007, 06:58 AM
The last time they had a strike I was on crutches for a very long time. The strikers would bitch at me as I'm crutching my happy ass across the line. Once they asked "why can't you just go somewhere else and shop"....I basically snapped and shouted something pretty similar to "hey fuktard, look at me...does it look like I'm in the mood to go prancing around town trying to help you out, plus, the last time I was in here you decided to let some cougar with big cans cut in front of me and now I'm supposed to be your buddy....F**K YOU!!!"
If you don't like your job or they way you're being treated FIND A NEW JOB! Teacher's Unions, Police Officers Unions that's all good. You took the time you learn a profession. Scanning cans of campbell's and cleaning up the shitter after the butcher tossed a rod is not a profession.

Baja Big Dog
06-25-2007, 08:33 AM
Be sure to keep these stores in mind when you shop when the strike begins. Support these stores and give them your business.
$20 an hour to scan prices, the hardest part of the job was remembering the codes for produce, now most of them have those irritating little stickers on them with the code numbers. And most have a shitty attitude because they would rather be at home. I always use the self checkout.

Danhercules
06-25-2007, 08:52 AM
There were some great beer and steak prices last time. Time to stock up again! :D
If ya want more money or better bennis, get a better job. If you cant, get edumicated.:)

JB in so cal
06-25-2007, 09:01 AM
The workers aren't looking at the big picture.
40 hours/week @ $17.90 hr.
$716 week before taxes.
If the strike lasts 8 weeks - half the time of the last one - $5728 in lost wages.
Assume this results in a 5% bump or $35.50 per week increase.....
It would only take 161 weeks or over 3 years to recoup:idea: :sqeyes:

Baja Big Dog
06-25-2007, 09:09 AM
$716 week before taxes.
If the strike lasts 8 weeks - half the time of the last one - $5728 in lost wages.
Good math, but you know they will use the "Benifits" card to justify the strike....not the money, so I say, take away the wages for the new employees and use it for the bennies!!!
But we want to keep the check out folks happy, dont want them to double scan your stuff!!!

Partycattin
06-25-2007, 09:18 AM
I just don't feel for them.
Target = Minimum wage to scan items. Grocery = $15 - 20/hour. I guess there's a higher skill set with scanning cereal.
I heard a guy on the news this morning. He worked for the store and was upset that he would not reach the top of his salary range for 5 years. Welcome to corporate world. Most big companies get you at at a low ball range, give you some decent raises to get you to the industry average, and then put you on a snails pace to actually "max" out in the pay scale.
I agree with the prior post, if you don't like it find something else.

djunkie
06-25-2007, 09:54 AM
Here we go again. Unions suck!!!!!! :rolleyes: :D :D

RaceFace
06-25-2007, 09:55 AM
I don't think the unions will survive this time. They're screwing themselves.
AND I WILL be taking advantage of the low beer and steak prices at ALL STORES INVOLVED!! :D :D
Yeah, thats right....its all about ME!! LOL!!

THOR
06-25-2007, 09:58 AM
Here we go again. Unions suck!!!!!! :rolleyes: :D :D
Dont even start with that conversation now......................

Ziggy
06-25-2007, 10:07 AM
I hope they don't go into a strike again.............it was so harmful to so many last time.......people found plenty of alternatives for shopping so consumer impact was low other than not being quite as convenient....
Some of the shoppers never returned and stayed with the new alternative source they found.

djunkie
06-25-2007, 10:08 AM
Dont even start with that conversation now......................
Its already began. And I was using irony on that post by the way. :D

Ziggy
06-25-2007, 10:09 AM
Here we go again. Onions suck!!!!!! :rolleyes: :D :D
Battered and deep fried they're delicious, dip in ketchup, or is that catsup? :D:D

imirsh1
$716 week before taxes.
Dont forget to add in that they still have to pay their union benefits while not receiving their salary as well.

djunkie
Battered and deep fried they're delicious, dip in ketchup, or is that catsup? :D:D
:D :D :D

havaduner
06-25-2007, 10:15 AM
If they do strike, and you find your self needing to cross the picket line, and the "employees" harass you, just remind them that if their not happy with their current package, the local Wal Mart is hiring! :D

bigboy_77
06-25-2007, 10:29 AM
Last time there was a strike and they hired a bunch of cute girls at the ralphs where I live. Plus everyone was sooooo much nicer to deal with than the regular grumpy workers.

RitcheyRch
06-25-2007, 10:41 AM
Maybe I should go work at the grocery store when they strike. Doesnt quite pay as much as was making at my last few jobs but does pay more than unemployment. Maybe there is light at the end of the tunnel. :D

HM
06-25-2007, 10:47 AM
I worked the grocery business when I was 17 - 19. It was a cool job...for a teenager! Most people aspired to get a "REAL" job back then. The "career" grocery people (or "Lifers" as we referred to them back then) were always telling the young people to go to school so they could get a real job and not get trapped in that job. While the pay was good, they knew it would not last...and this was in 1985!!! The people I hated the most seem to be the people who make up about 95% of the employees of grocery stores now...they think their job is a real career and they think they should make a livable wage in a job that requires little to no skill.

Ziggy
06-25-2007, 11:44 AM
I wouldn't go as far as to belittle any grocery employee, but some are not the sharpest tool and would follow the lead goat off a cliff. I have a handful of friends that work grocery stores, these people basically have to follow the pack because otherwise they may be targeted from within.
The only one's that benefitted from the strike were Union bosses, they got full paychecks as the blue collar workers got pennies.

Mountainstone
06-25-2007, 11:59 AM
I have lived in Alabama, Texas and Utah. None are strong union states, and I have never shopped in a union grocery store as far as I know. I don't want to offend any staunch union supporters, but does California not have Super Wal Mart stores? I shop there due to a large selection and low prices, I usually use the self check out because there is rarely a line (old folks hate 'em), and I cannot remember the last time anybody anywhere carried my grocery bags to the car.
I am not wealthy, and I am somewhat of a misanthrope, so I will go wherever saves me the most money and let the free market system decide who thrives and who starves. I can't see how a union store can compete with a non-union one in the retail/grocery market nowadays...

HM
06-25-2007, 12:13 PM
Before you people just start to show your union hatred,
Too late. :D But, I am a an equal opportunity hater....I hate ALL unions.
I was raised by an entrepreneur of a father. He started with NOTHING...infact, his dad applogized to my mom when they got married because my dad did not have a "trade." He taught me never to buy into security and guarantees because there are NONE. Look at all the companies getting out of paying pensions! Where is the union backing these people on this? Anyone who tells you that you need a union is trying to make a buck off your fears...that is why I truly hate unions...they only survive if people are scared and they can keep up the employee vs. the company fight - they do far more damage to employees by exploiting their fear for profit than any of the companies that employ them.

djunkie
06-25-2007, 12:13 PM
Phebus, the reason isn't because they can't work it out but because the companies AND the union leaders won't let them work it out. The negoiators can only give so much and don't really have a 'free hand' to do anything the companies or unions do not allow them too.
You are 100% correct about the last strike being harmful to both sides. The employees suffered losses that quite a few could not sustain. Foreclosure, BK, saw too many of them that had to sell all their playtoys just to feed their families. On the flip side the stores were predicting that within months they'd have their customer share back again. DIDN'T HAPPEN ! Shoppers found alternatives and although in most cases it wasn't as convenient, they remained.
Before you people just start to show your union hatred, please don't show your own ignorance about something you know nothing about. Let's face facts. The boat shop that works on your boat IS NOT worth 90. bucks an hour an don't even bring up education is this equasion. A real estate transaction is not worth 6% as you could do it yourself if you'd take the time an do your homework. The rest of the service trades are the same way to an extent. We live in a state that is driven by the economy an everyone is just trying to survive. You can't to it in this area on 15 bucks an hour. If you want to start placing blame then start with the basics such as the oil companies, the drug companies, etc.
Think about it. The longshoremans strike a few years ago put the hurt to this area far more than did the grocers strike. We don't hear any longshoreman bashing and these people make about 3 to 4 times what a grocery clerk does. WHY ? Because the majority of you don't have contact with them on a daily basis. They were not out waving a picket sign in your face. (shows that the leadership of the LGSHMNS union is a whole lot smarter than the retail clerks). I'd venture to say that the level of intelligence for one job would be the same as the level required for the other, with some exceptions.
99% of the union employees are not aware of the fact that they can basically "opt-out" of the union and still be able to retain their jobs and benefits. The companies do not tell them this except in rare cases and you can be darn sure that the union leadership does not tell them. The union leaders are the ones fighting to keep their jobs. They are scared at the moment as if the companies take these jobs non-union then think of the pay cuts these union emplyees will have to take. Think of the job losses, guess we won't be needing all of these business agents, benefits clerks, etc. any longer.
Ralphs I have no idea about except their management consists of a bunch of dishonest scumbags as proven after the last strike, Vons is pretty much the same way. Albertsons was rated a while back as the 56th worst company to work for in the country. Albertsons is TOTALLY "anti-employee".
Anyone notice that lately Stater Bros meat has turned to crap? The quality has sure been going downhill for about the past year. They've been raising their prices big time for a while now too. Guess they have to pay for that new worehouse (typo) they are building in SB.
Me anti-union? I'm anti everybody. The union lost all of their bargaining power when the last union member that knew how to use a few sticks of dynamite retired. The companies have been trying to break the unions for the last 15 years (overtly) in the interest of power and greed. (I'll write that chapter in the next post). F*ckum both.
Rio
Great post Rio. I do enjoy reading your thoughts on stuff like this whether I agree or not. But I must step in and correct something you wrote. The Longhoremen did NOT strike. We were locked out by our employer. Quite the opposite of a strike. I do agree that our union leaders are pretty smart when it comes to contract negotiating but they are not perfect. There is a lot I agree with but I do disagree with some things they do. Its hard to compare our union/industry with other union jobs. Its just not your normal 8-5 job. The port runs 24 hours a day an there is a lot involved but I could type for days and never really explain it all. :D :D

Ziggy
06-25-2007, 12:18 PM
Great post Rio. I do enjoy reading your thoughts on stuff like this whether I agree or not. But I must step in and correct something you wrote. The Longhoremen did NOT strike. We were locked out by our employer. Quite the opposite of a strike. I do agree that our union leaders are pretty smart when it comes to contract negotiating but they are not perfect. There is a lot I agree with but I do disagree with some things they do. Its hard to compare our union/industry with other union jobs. Its just not your normal 8-5 job. The port runs 24 hours a day an there is a lot involved but I could type for days and never really explain it all. :D :D
Yeah, that Longshoreman lockout/strike had an effect on my business. I lost 2 sales of cars that were floating around outside of port Hueneme in ships for a month....:rolleyes: Nobody compensated me for that lost revenue, or found new buyers for custom order vehicles.
Can't we all just get along? :D:D

yopengo
06-25-2007, 12:20 PM
Costco and Trader Joes for me. Fock them all.

djunkie
06-25-2007, 12:26 PM
Yeah, that Longshoreman lockout/strike had an effect on my business. I lost 2 sales of cars that were floating around outside of port Hueneme in ships for a month....:rolleyes: Nobody compensated me for that lost revenue, or found new buyers for custom order vehicles.
Can't we all just get along? :D:D
It wasn't a strike!!!!!! RRRRRRRR. :devil: :devil: Sad part about the lockout was the port just couldn't handle the work. The media gave a ton of false information (what else is new?) and our union supposedly has hired a PR rep. to solve that. If you guys could have seen how packed the terminals were with cargo it would be realized that they just had no where to put cargo. Also the railroads were backed up cause they just couldn't handle the work load. Its sad that it all got blamed on us though. :rolleyes:

WYRD
06-25-2007, 12:32 PM
It wasn't a strike!!!!!! RRRRRRRR. :devil: :devil: Sad part about the lockout was the port just couldn't handle the work. The media gave a ton of false information (what else is new?) and our union supposedly has hired a PR rep. to solve that. If you guys could have seen how packed the terminals were with cargo it would be realized that they just had no where to put cargo. Also the railroads were backed up cause they just couldn't handle the work load. Its sad that it all got blamed on us though. :rolleyes:
Give me a break you can't even unpack your house, of course its your fault:eek: :D

djunkie
06-25-2007, 12:33 PM
Give me a break you can't even unpack your house, of course its your fault:eek: :D
LOL!!!!! Phucker!!! :crossx: :crossx:

THOR
06-25-2007, 12:45 PM
Anyone who tells you that you need a union is trying to make a buck off your fears...that is why I truly hate unions...they only survive if people are scared and they can keep up the employee vs. the company fight - they do far more damage to employees by exploiting their fear for profit than any of the companies that employ them.
You my friend dont have a clue. Unions have their place, especially in the large commercial construction trades. I see it on a daily basis and I can tell you first hand, the scab jobs dont have any regulations in terms of safe workplaces.

djunkie
06-25-2007, 12:52 PM
You my friend dont have a clue. Unions have their place, especially in the large commercial construction trades. I see it on a daily basis and I can tell you first hand, the scab jobs dont have any regulations in terms of safe workplaces.
Your preaching to the wrong crowd Thor. We're a minority around this place.

Baja Big Dog
06-25-2007, 12:55 PM
Phebus, the reason isn't because they can't work it out but because the companies AND the union leaders won't let them work it out. The negotiators do not walk ANY line during a strike, and they DO get a full paycheck while the sheep strike to prove their point.The negotiators can only give so much and don't really have a 'free hand' to do anything the companies or unions do not allow them too.
You are 100% correct about the last strike being harmful to both sides. The employees suffered losses that quite a few could not sustain. Foreclosure, BK, saw too many of them that had to sell all their play toys just to feed their families. On the flip side the stores were predicting that within months they'd have their customer share back again. DIDN'T HAPPEN ! Shoppers found alternatives and although in most cases it wasn't as convenient, they remained.
Before you people just start to show your union hatred, please don't show your own ignorance about something you know nothing about. Let's face facts. The boat shop that works on your boat IS NOT worth 90. bucks an hour Whats it worth to have yor boat/car worked on? an don't even bring up education is this equasion.Education, whats it cost to send someone through school to learn to work on your toys? UTI, wyetch tec.... A real estate transaction is not worth 6% as you could do it yourself if you'd take the time an do your homework. The rest of the service trades are the same way to an extent. We live in a state that is driven by the economy an everyone is just trying to survive. You can't to it in this area on 15 bucks an hour. Its called "living within your means" for every dollar you make some is making another dollar more, the clerk at 7-11 cant afford to live in a $800,000 home, and because a price scanner at the store cant afford to live in that same home they should be paid more? NO!!If you want to start placing blame then start with the basics such as the oil companies, the drug companies, etc.
Think about it. The longshoremen's strike a few years ago put the hurt to this area far more than did the grocers strike. We don't hear any longshoreman bashing and these people make about 3 to 4 times what a grocery clerk does. WHY ? Because the majority of you don't have contact with them on a daily basis. They were not out waving a picket sign in your face. (shows that the leadership of the LGSHMNS union is a whole lot smarter than the retail clerks). I'd venture to say that the level of intelligence for one job would be the same as the level required for the other, with some exceptions.
99% of the union employees are not aware of the fact that they can basically "opt-out" of the union and still be able to retain their jobs and benefits. The companies do not tell them this except in rare cases and you can be darn sure that the union leadership does not tell them. The union leaders are the ones fighting to keep their jobs. They are scared at the moment as if the companies take these jobs non-union then think of the pay cuts these union employees will have to take. Think of the job losses, guess we won't be needing all of these business agents, benefits clerks, etc. any longer.
Ralphs I have no idea about except their management consists of a bunch of dishonest scumbags as proven after the last strike, Vons is pretty much the same way. Albertsons was rated a while back as the 56th worst company to work for in the country. Albertsons is TOTALLY "anti-employee".
Anyone notice that lately Stater Bros meat has turned to crap? The quality has sure been going downhill for about the past year. They've been raising their prices big time for a while now too. Guess they have to pay for that new worehouse (typo) they are building in SB.
Me anti-union? I'm anti everybody. The union lost all of their bargaining power when the last union member that knew how to use a few sticks of dynamite retired. The companies have been trying to break the unions for the last 15 years (overtly) in the interest of power and greed. Oh and yea, maybe profits? It seems that the big companies take alot of shit because they want to make "MONEY"..go figure(I'll write that chapter in the next post). F*ckum both.
Rio
Ive said it before, think of how much money these companies could make (and yea, pay the people for the skill level involved) if they had the ability to run there own business, and not do what they are told to do by the unions, yo know being able to fire someone because they dont pull their load, or other daily situations that are protected by the unions....:idea:
The longshoremen..thats another story..they know they have the ability to shut down this country at will, and hopefully this will be corrected in the next 15-20 years when the Mexican's get there shit together and build the ports they have been talking about for the last 15 years.

THOR
06-25-2007, 12:58 PM
No doubt brother.

djunkie
06-25-2007, 01:01 PM
The longshoremen..thats another story..they know they have the ability to shut down this country at will, and hopefully this will be corrected in the next 15-20 years when the Mexican's get there shit together and build the ports they have been talking about for the last 15 years.
And thats all they're gonna be doing is talking about it. Their ports are so F-ed along with their government that they'll never be able to do it. Let alone handle and move the amount of cargo the port of LA/LB does. Not to mention we already have half their population driving trucks here delivering our cargo cause they ran out the teamsters. Way to think American. Thanks to Bush your thoughts may someday be a reality!!!!

Rexone
06-25-2007, 01:05 PM
Both the grocery companies and the unions and based on what occurred last time in many cases the striking employees themselves, all forgot who they work for. The customer. Customers were treated rudely in many cases by the striking employees and in all cases by the companies and unions that allowed it to occur.
The big 3 used to have about 90% of my business. Now they have about 40%. They would have less if it was less inconvienent to buy elsewhere. My guess is if they strike again they will have still less. It's probably no big deal cause I don't eat that much tho. :)
I have to laugh now when I go to Vons and they always have to call you by name at checkout and ask me if I need my gallon of milk carried to the car. Where was all that before the strike? It's actually humorous waiting for them to mis-pronounce my name and asking a 220 lb guy if he needs help to the car with his milk.
I haven't been back to a baseball game in quite some time nor do I watch it on TV any more either other that a couple WS games here or there.

little rowe boat
06-25-2007, 01:08 PM
Yep, this thread is going to turn into the non union elitists, telling us union workers how misguided we are and how unions are no longer needed. I remember last time, some of the peeps got down right ugly.

HM
06-25-2007, 01:14 PM
You are probably right...and I am glad you said friend! :D
I am an entrapraneur at heart and that is why I ultimately started my business...hell, I don't even like regular jobs where there are no unions!

Rexone
06-25-2007, 01:14 PM
Hey there's nothing like a good ol union argument to get some action going around here. :D

HM
06-25-2007, 01:24 PM
Hey....people didn't get to be ballers while holding a union job (alone). :D

HM
06-25-2007, 01:26 PM
Hey there's nothing like a good ol union argument to get some action going around here. :D
:D

Big Warlock
06-25-2007, 01:30 PM
How many Union Bosses took a pay cut or no paycheck during the last strike?
Ha ha ha ha
The last argument was over the companies wanting the employees to pay a portion of their medical benefits! Fock them! If you want a better job, go find one!

djunkie
06-25-2007, 02:14 PM
You are probably right...and I am glad you said friend! :D
I am an entrapraneur at heart and that is why I ultimately started my business...hell, I don't even like regular jobs where there are no unions!
I used to think just like you before i even new about my current job. My family owned a building material company and was run out of business by Home Depot along with a lot of the other smaller building material yards. Since then the thought of owning my own business doesn't even intrigue me. I like going to work, working my 8 hours, (or sometimes less :D ) then going home without having to bring my business problems with me. I sleep VERY well at night. :D :D

djunkie
06-25-2007, 02:26 PM
Djunkie, I agree with most of your conclusions also. The last grocery rumble was a strike against Vons and a lockout by the other 2. This will be a strike( if it happens) against Albertsons and a lockout by the others.
I was actually referring to the Longshore lockout. :D :D But yes you are correct about the grocery store. While I didn't agree with some of the demands of the grocery store union in their last negotiations I still honored their picket lines. I don't blame anyone for trying to improve their lively hoods but you have to be reasonable. If they strike again I'll still honor the picket lines as I do most of my shopping at Costco and Trader Joes now anyways. :devil:

djunkie
06-25-2007, 02:27 PM
Hey Dj, let's go set up a picket line around Rexy's building and try an unionize his 2 employees and the dog.
Rio
:jawdrop: :D :D

djunkie
06-25-2007, 02:28 PM
Hey....people didn't get to be ballers while holding a union job (alone). :D
Well that sucks. I'm union and a non-baller. :cry: :cry:

HM
06-25-2007, 02:34 PM
I used to think just like you before i even new about my current job. My family owned a building material company and was run out of business by Home Depot along with a lot of the other smaller building material yards. Since then the thought of owning my own business doesn't even intrigue me. I like going to work, working my 8 hours, (or sometimes less :D ) then going home without having to bring my business problems with me. I sleep VERY well at night. :D :D
I understand what you are saying, and have no idea why your parents business failed. There are plenty of businesses that thrive in that same business that have developed niches....I know, because I worked in the building materials business for 15 years - I know most of the manufacturers. I am good friends with the Hamiltons and the Pecks which are two companies that chose different routes to market when Home Depot emerged. 95%++ of Hamilton's business does NOT go thru Home Depot and they are the largest manufacturer of textures and taping compounds in the west. Custom Building Products sells 90% of the Custom Building Products Name thru Home Depot, but they did buy a competitor that was well liked and used contactor specific distribution. Both of these companies are family ran companies and both have thrived in the era of Home Depot. Would you like to know about Omega, or perhaps some of the nationals?
I understand not wanting the stress of business ownership...it is not for everyone. The best businesses usually had to fail a couple times. Even Home Depot went out of business when they first started. No one would sell them anything the second time they got going because they never paid their suppliers from the first time they got started...But, they had a vision and knew it was possible and teamed up with Behr Process...also a 2nd attempt at getting a business going...and they are where they are today. I am driven by my vision and passion. When ever I fail, it is only a failure if quit. Macy's had 7 failed retail stores before the owner found success. The successful people in life are not successful without failure...it is thier ability to embrace failure as the necessary requirment for success that makes them successful....the road to success goes right thru the dump.
The good night sleep you are getting is based on false security because the company you work for could be out of business just as quickly as your parents, only you will now be the LAST to know because everything will be just fine until you get your pinkslip. There are NO guarantees in life...no security. Anyone selling you this is making far more money than you and truly doesn't give a shit about you.

djunkie
06-25-2007, 02:52 PM
I understand what you are saying, and have no idea why your parents business failed. There are plenty of businesses that thrive in that same business that have developed niches....I know, because I worked in the building materials business for 15 years - I know most of the manufacturers. I am good friends with the Hamiltons and the Pecks which are two companies that chose different routes to market when Home Depot emerged. 95%++ of Hamilton's business does NOT go thru Home Depot and they are the largest manufacturer of textures and taping compounds in the west. Custom Building Products sells 90% of the Custom Building Products Name thru Home Depot, but they did buy a competitor that was well liked and used contactor specific distribution. Both of these companies are family ran companies and both have thrived in the era of Home Depot. Would you like to know about Omega, or perhaps some of the nationals?
I understand not wanting the stress of business ownership...it is not for everyone. The best businesses usually had to fail a couple times. Even Home Depot went out of business when they first started. No one would sell them anything the second time they got going because they never paid their suppliers from the first time they got started...But, they had a vision and knew it was possible and teamed up with Behr Process...also a 2nd attempt at getting a business going...and they are where they are today. I am driven by my vision and passion. When ever I fail, it is only a failure if quit. Macy's had 7 failed retail stores before the owner found success. The successful people in life are not successful without failure...it is thier ability to embrace failure as the necessary requirment for success that makes them successful....the road to success goes right thru the dump.
The good night sleep you are getting is based on false security because the company you work for could be out of business just as quickly as your parents, only you will now be the LAST to know because everything will be just fine until you get your pinkslip. There are NO guarantees in life...no security. Anyone selling you this is making far more money than you and truly doesn't give a shit about you.
This is true. But it the "not bringing my work home with me" that allows me to sleep good. Every job can end tomorrow. So be it, I'm qualified to do lots of things so I'd just got get another job. Owning your own business brings on a lot more responsibilities that aren't worth the money I'd be making. Hell I make a lot more money then some of my fiends that own businesses.
As for the business failing, my grandfather in the 80's was known as the "King" of drywall. He did very well. Then in the 90's a Home Depot opened up the street from him. He just couldn't compete with their pricing. Had no choice but to close doors in the late 90's. Lucky he had done well the years before cause he would have lost his ass.

Baja Big Dog
06-25-2007, 03:03 PM
Now come on guys...read the last para again...in 15-20 years, I guess I forgot to use the :D smile...and the "been talking about doing it for the last 15 years, I guess I should have used the same :D smile again....

HM
06-25-2007, 03:11 PM
This is true. But it the "not bringing my work home with me" that allows me to sleep good. Every job can end tomorrow. So be it, I'm qualified to do lots of things so I'd just got get another job. Owning your own business brings on a lot more responsibilities that aren't worth the money I'd be making. Hell I make a lot more money then some of my fiends that own businesses.
I understand not bringing your work home with...but I do that no matter what I do...it is how I am built.
don't get me wrong....union jobs can have very good pay. I made a ton of money when I worked for Lucky's and UPS...unfortunately, I was young, so I spent a LOT of money too! :D
Didn't know how close I hit to your family's business....with talking about the Hamiltons. :D I also have a family friend that worked for USG for 50 years....you probably know him because he bought a small texture/tape joint company in Pomona(Supro) after he was given a gold watch for retirement. His name is on most of the USG patents. I don't know how he is doing these days - and please don't tell me your gramps owned Supro. :D

Ziggy
06-25-2007, 03:46 PM
Holy did you raise your hand? I can relate as my Dad was a chemist and basically worked when he wanted to and came and went as he pleased.
I try to look at every subject from all sides and base my ideals on the mantra that " it's gotta be good for you or it's no good for me, an it's gotta be good for me or it not going to be good for you".
Djunkie, I agree with most of your conclusions also. The last grocery rumble was a strike against Vons and a lockout by the other 2. This will be a strike( if it happens) against Albertsons and a lockout by the others.
Thor, this is very true. It's a shame that employers would rather pay higher insurance premiums and workercomp insurance rates than try and make a safer workplace than just what they can by with. They really don't give a damn about their employees anymore. " I'd rather hire 2 or 3 warm bodies and f=it if they get hurt cuz I'll just go get another than hire one warm body with a brain and pay them what they are worth".
This not the right way of thinking about your employees but there is always gonna be a cheaper wh*re to come along.
Ziggy, stuff it! If you'd lower your prices so this poor white trash could afford one of your fancy assed vehicles then you might get my sympathy. While I'm driving around in my 1963 chevy nova on 4 spare tires I just want you to think about how many good UAW members you could support with all the loot that YOU are sending out of the country. Remember, every dollar that you send out of the country just translates to some foreign monkey owning that much more of the USA. This can be constued as treason.:D (part of this retort is sarcasm, for those of you from Rio Linda).
BBD, while I usually agree with you I think I'm confused.
Negotiaters...At the start of the bargaining they were union employees and that part of your post is correct and I agree with you BUT at this point in time with a mediator, he or she is not a union employee. I have personally gotten into to it with a union business agent that was walking a picket line. (Good story cuz I was a member of that union however not that local at the time.) He was a punk-btw, lol.
I call bullsh*t on most of the boat mechanics having much more than hands on experience and or education. In fact I can even give you names, companies, etc., of boat shops that are using fricken illegals.
I agree with 'living within your means". I personally live so far below my means it's not funny. That's why I can tell anyone from my employer to my bank to go f*ck themselves and be the arrogant lil fuzzball that I am.
Greed = profits.
Maybe in some industries the unions have the power to dictate to the companies however that is certainly not the case in this situation. I have at one time been a member of both the retail clerks and the teamster unions in relationships to the grocery chains. They are the weakest of the weak led by the most ignorant people God put on the face of the earth.
As mangement in the grocery industry I never had a problem terminating an employee. I was never asked to rehire or reinstate an employee. As you can deduce from my posts I do not put up with a lot of sh*t from anyone. It's just my lack of patience and the fact that I play it straight. You'd have to "need " firing and then it was only after I "counselled" the idiot(kicked ass) as to his or her transgressions.
Trust me(how I hate that line) there is so much waste in the grocery industry it's not even humorous. But also believe it when I tell you that if all employees would take a 50% pay cut tomorrow, YOU would never see the price of groceries come down. It relates to the way the companies are set up to divee up the blame and responsibility along with bleeding off (hiding) the profits at a corporate level. If the companies were to only count the profits at the checkstand and all employees were working toward that goal, things might be different or at least a lot clearer.
I'm not even going to address your last line about Mexico. I will restate my idealology by saying " F*ck Mexico and all other countries that muuch off the USA. After we start taking care of our own people here then I'll start thinking about any other country. Let um take a number and when they can build their own facilities without our money and come to us with a viable business proposition that's good for both parties then I'll listen. Not before.
Rio-> gotta go watch my lawn soak up some water.
I'll take your 63 Nova for a trade in, no problem ;) :D:D
and for the record, indirectly I do support the UAW, I happen to be a General Motors dealer too ;)

Rexone
06-25-2007, 04:19 PM
Unions Suck.
there that ought to revive this thread for awhile.

Rexone
06-25-2007, 06:19 PM
Unions Suck.
Ok enough with the thread killers you asshole. :mad:

Nord
06-25-2007, 06:29 PM
I take my work home with me every day. When I don't sleep fine, its because I'm thinking of ways to improve my biz. If I didn't, I wouldn't be a good business owner. I sometimes think about working for someone else. Having my boss make all of the decisions and what not. Then there is the ladder.

Riverbass
06-25-2007, 06:39 PM
I am union but I would cross the line. How much more do they want? At disneyland a ride op starts at about 8.50hr and tops out at about 11.50hr they put up with so much B.S. from guests. You want how much for scaning a tag or putting a can away. Get a grip and suck it up like the rest of us. (And to get that 11.50 takes about 6 years)

Havasu Carrera
06-25-2007, 06:39 PM
I do believe it's a very concentrated attempt on the part of the stores to take the 3 largest chains non-union. These grocery chains are the biggest POS when it comes to how the employees are treated that you'll find. Personally, I say boycott them all as both the companies and the unions are blowing so much smoke up everyone's ass*s it's not funny.
The companies don't give a rat's ass about the employees and the unions only care about their own employees not their members.
F*ckum, put um outta business ! Teach the companies that the buying public will only tolerate so much.
JMHO,
Rio
While hanging from my own balls I would like to publically state. I don't think we are much of bro's but YOU HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD HERE and I agree with you 100%.:eek: :jawdrop:

little rowe boat
06-25-2007, 06:52 PM
Unions Suck.
I heard a rumor. Rex marine is going to be a union shop.:D

intense
06-25-2007, 08:09 PM
Costco and Trader Joes for me. Fock them all.
Costco = Teamsters

zudnic
06-25-2007, 08:59 PM
When we made our products last year, I spent alot of time in stores. Mostly Whole Foods Market and a few WA small chains, Larry's Market, Haggens Top Foods and Food Pavillion. We handed out samples in all those stores, hired hot college chicks. :D
The key to my business is keeping store stock people happy, they are the ones who remind the manager to order and keep your products well stocked on the self, etc....
Grocery Store Unions suck big time most of these guy's worked part time because one or two senior union people had seniority and got more hrs. Work part time and still pay full union due's every month. Plus those who have said store jobs aint tough, you are correct, nothing in these stores needs to have a union breathing down over top of these businesses. After watching being inside grocery stores all day, it aint hard work at all.

scooooter7
06-25-2007, 10:31 PM
Unions Suck.
Spoken like a true CEO.:)

djunkie
06-26-2007, 02:15 AM
Costco = Teamsters
:D :D

VanDeano
06-26-2007, 04:11 AM
I remember that time very well. It put a hamper on my boating do to all the damn ships anchored offshore. :D

VanDeano
06-26-2007, 04:27 AM
As for the business failing, my grandfather in the 80's was known as the "King" of drywall. He did very well. Then in the 90's a Home Depot opened up the street from him. He just couldn't compete with their pricing. Had no choice but to close doors in the late 90's. Lucky he had done well the years before cause he would have lost his ass.
I bet you pay a lot more in taxes then your friends that have a business. I should say the government TAKES a lot more tax from you. I say this because I have my own business and my girlfriend is a longshoreman and the amount that the government takes out of her check is more then what I make a week. Well not really, but you get the idea how you get raped when you work for the man.:D

havasu5150
06-26-2007, 07:17 AM
Holy did you raise your hand? I can relate as my Dad was a chemist and basically worked when he wanted to and came and went as he pleased.
I try to look at every subject from all sides and base my ideals on the mantra that " it's gotta be good for you or it's no good for me, an it's gotta be good for me or it not going to be good for you".
Thor, this is very true. It's a shame that employers would rather pay higher insurance premiums and workercomp insurance rates than try and make a safer workplace than just what they can by with. They really don't give a damn about their employees anymore. " I'd rather hire 2 or 3 warm bodies and f=it if they get hurt cuz I'll just go get another than hire one warm body with a brain and pay them what they are worth".
This not the right way of thinking about your employees but there is always gonna be a cheaper wh*re to come along.
Ziggy, stuff it! If you'd lower your prices so this poor white trash could afford one of your fancy assed vehicles then you might get my sympathy. While I'm driving around in my 1963 chevy nova on 4 spare tires I just want you to think about how many good UAW members you could support with all the loot that YOU are sending out of the country. Remember, every dollar that you send out of the country just translates to some foreign monkey owning that much more of the USA. This can be constued as treason.:D (part of this retort is sarcasm, for those of you from Rio Linda).
BBD, while I usually agree with you I think I'm confused.
Negotiaters...At the start of the bargaining they were union employees and that part of your post is correct and I agree with you BUT at this point in time with a mediator, he or she is not a union employee. I have personally gotten into to it with a union business agent that was walking a picket line. (Good story cuz I was a member of that union however not that local at the time.) He was a punk-btw, lol.
I call bullsh*t on most of the boat mechanics having much more than hands on experience and or education. In fact I can even give you names, companies, etc., of boat shops that are using fricken illegals.
I agree with 'living within your means". I personally live so far below my means it's not funny. That's why I can tell anyone from my employer to my bank to go f*ck themselves and be the arrogant lil fuzzball that I am.
Greed = profits.
Maybe in some industries the unions have the power to dictate to the companies however that is certainly not the case in this situation. I have at one time been a member of both the retail clerks and the teamster unions in relationships to the grocery chains. They are the weakest of the weak led by the most ignorant people God put on the face of the earth.
As mangement in the grocery industry I never had a problem terminating an employee. I was never asked to rehire or reinstate an employee. As you can deduce from my posts I do not put up with a lot of sh*t from anyone. It's just my lack of patience and the fact that I play it straight. You'd have to "need " firing and then it was only after I "counselled" the idiot(kicked ass) as to his or her transgressions.
Trust me(how I hate that line) there is so much waste in the grocery industry it's not even humorous. But also believe it when I tell you that if all employees would take a 50% pay cut tomorrow, YOU would never see the price of groceries come down. It relates to the way the companies are set up to divee up the blame and responsibility along with bleeding off (hiding) the profits at a corporate level. If the companies were to only count the profits at the checkstand and all employees were working toward that goal, things might be different or at least a lot clearer.
I'm not even going to address your last line about Mexico. I will restate my idealology by saying " F*ck Mexico and all other countries that muuch off the USA. After we start taking care of our own people here then I'll start thinking about any other country. Let um take a number and when they can build their own facilities without our money and come to us with a viable business proposition that's good for both parties then I'll listen. Not before.
Rio-> gotta go watch my lawn soak up some water.
You say that like profits were a bad thing.
The only reason most companies are in business is to make a profit. They are not there to simply provide a living to their employees. I work in the transportation industry at one of the few remaining Union shops. Teamsters. The profit margin at the Union shops is considerably less than our competitors. It is not the hourly wages that make the huge difference it is the benefits paid. Primarily pension and health. The vast majority of companies in business today no longer offer a pension, but rather offer a 401K type of retirement package. The union members pay very little or nothing out of pocket for health care. Again outside of a union shop this is un heard of. (I believe this will be the big sticking point in the next contract) The contract is up in 2008, hopefully it is settled prior to that. A strike could close the doors on the remaining union shops.

HM
06-26-2007, 07:21 AM
You say that like profits were a bad thing.
The only reason most companies are in business is to make a profit. They are not there to simply provide a living to their employees. I work in the transportation industry at one of the few remaining Union shops. Teamsters. The profit margin at the Union shops is considerably less than our competitors. It is not the hourly wages that make the huge difference it is the benefits paid. Primarily pension and health. The vast majority of companies in business today no longer offer a pension, but rather offer a 401K type of retirement package. The union members pay very little of nothing out of pocket for health care. Again outside of a union shop this is un heard of. (I believe this will be the big sticking point in the next contract) The contract is up in 2008, hopefully it is settled prior to that. A strike could close the doors on ABF, Yellow and Roadway.
I think you read too far into Rio. He was just pointing out that greed is not a bad thing, greed translates into profits which a company needs. Us business owners don't like to hear people say it like that because we don't like to think of ourselves as greedy. I know I am not greedy, I only want to make a mil or two per year. :D

HM
06-26-2007, 07:23 AM
Oh yah...
ALL UNION WORKERS ARE LAZY SOB's!!!!
that oughta put a little steam into this thread...your welcome Rex.

C-2
06-26-2007, 08:59 AM
If you guys wanna get a rise out of everybody – you were doing a better job at it by belittling the workers.
---
Let’s get real here – nobody is making $20 scanning groceries. Only a few in each store are close to the $15 range. Most are at or below $12.
There are people who bust their azzes at the stores – and my wife is one of them. She is a Baker by trade, and yes, that’s a skilled profession (as is a meat cutter). Not just a job, a trade. She’s oldschool and started nearly 20 years ago – at a time when grocery was still a viable occupation – much the same as aerospace was for people who didn’t pursue college. She cares about her shop looking good for you – the customer. And there are still handfuls of others who also do the same.
Thinking about it, my wife is the hardest working person I know – literally. Think about how many people you know and the gamut of different professions and schedules. Can you say that about yourself? I can’t.
We both started out with professions which many years ago, were decent. Fast forward 20 years and now the future for both of us is in question – do we stay or do we go. But we both have an immense amount of time (and me, money) vested in each – and quitting or abandoning the past 20 years is not an easy thing to do.
---
I really don’t know where all the animosity towards grocery workers comes from. As Rio pointed out, there are far more flagrant wastes of time which we all pay for.
Keep bitching about how much grocery workers get paid – and don’t say you weren’t told so when the only markets left are wetback markets like Staters and many of the other Hispanic shops slowly working their way into the grocery scene.
Brush up on your Spanish, cuz that’s where it’s headed.

Ziggy
06-26-2007, 09:04 AM
Ziggy, are you willing to match prices with that other 'slick talkin" car salesman that pops up every now an then? He quoted me $40,000 for a new Corvette.:D
Rio
better jump on that deal right quick...;)

El Chingon
06-26-2007, 09:10 AM
Costco = Teamsters
Only the original Price Club buildings stood union after merging with Costco in '93.

djunkie
06-26-2007, 10:08 AM
I bet you pay a lot more in taxes then your friends that have a business. I should say the government TAKES a lot more tax from you. I say this because I have my own business and my girlfriend is a longshoreman and the amount that the government takes out of her check is more then what I make a week. Well not really, but you get the idea how you get raped when you work for the man.:D
Tell her to max out her 401k. Also with 2 house payments I don't have much of a problem with getting taxed.

djunkie
06-26-2007, 10:12 AM
Oh yah...
We're not lazy, just well rested. :D :D

Havasu1986
06-26-2007, 10:17 AM
And Hot Boat has improved my computer skills. :D Local 709

Mr. C
06-26-2007, 10:28 AM
I'll 2nd that, just woke up from a 2 hour nap:D . Now it's time for lunch.
Gotta love it.:D :D

Hardly Satisfied
06-26-2007, 10:47 AM
Oh yah...
All is a strong word, you might be

Biglue
06-26-2007, 11:38 AM
$716 week before taxes.
I'm going to print this out and hand them a copy of it as I cross the picket lines this time around. :D

djunkie
06-26-2007, 12:18 PM
I'm going to print this out and hand them a copy of it as I cross the picket lines this time around. :D
Asshole!!!!!! :mad: :D :D

HM
06-26-2007, 08:04 PM
If you guys wanna get a rise out of everybody – you were doing a better job at it by belittling the workers.
---
Great Idea...thanks!!!
Hey Djunkie: You're ugly and your momma dresses you funny!!!!!!!

Ziggy
06-26-2007, 08:17 PM
Wake up DJ................there's containers to offload :) We all need our Chinese made American products................wanna talk about lost jobs from high cost of labor in the US? I'd rather not.:(

djunkie
06-26-2007, 09:21 PM
Great Idea...thanks!!!
Hey Djunkie: You're ugly and your momma dresses you funny!!!!!!!
Well, its better than being short I guess. :D :D

djunkie
06-26-2007, 09:21 PM
Wake up DJ................there's containers to offload :) We all need our Chinese made American products................wanna talk about lost jobs from high cost of labor in the US? I'd rather not.:(
I already worked 2 nights this week. I had to take tonight off to rest up. :crossx: :crossx:

HM
06-26-2007, 09:29 PM
Well, its better than being short I guess. :D :D
I may be short, but atleast I am tan. :D

VanDeano
06-26-2007, 10:17 PM
Tell her to max out her 401k. Also with 2 house payments I don't have much of a problem with getting taxed.
Are you crazy:D If I told her that her take home pay would leave me hardly anything! She my girlfriend not my wife:D :D

djunkie
06-27-2007, 09:21 AM
I may be short, but atleast I am tan. :D
You got me there. :rolleyes: :D :D

djunkie
06-27-2007, 09:23 AM
Are you crazy:D If I told her that her take home pay would leave me hardly anything! She my girlfriend not my wife:D :D
How long has she been full time? Class A or is she still an ID? She work nightside or dayside? I may know her. :D :D

Havasu Doug
06-27-2007, 10:02 AM
$716 week before taxes.
First of all, the only workers that are making $17.90 an hour are a small minority of the overall store labor covered by this dispute. That figure does not apply to anyone working in a Service Deli, Service Bakery, General Merchandise Department, Lobby, Photo Processing, Video rental, Starbucks, Floral, Pizza Kitchen, Liquor or anyone stocking beer, soda, cookies, crackers, bread........ Also, that only applies to the workers excluded from the categories mentioned that were hired prior to March of 2004.
Why are you assuming a 5% bump in pay is asked for? No one has asked for that. Stater Brothers has already agreed to a 2.7% pay increase for the highest earners and the union is trying to match that. That by the way, would be the first pay increase since 2002. Baggers make minimum wage no matter how long they have been there. The people in the categories mentioned above start out at $.05 above minimum wage and with the high turnover rate, many don't get much higher than that. Checkers start out at $1.40 above minimum wage and don't ever max out to $17.90 anymore. Also, a small minority works 40 hours a week so if you assume a typical worker affected by this earns $716 a week, you are misleading anyone reading this thread that doesn't know the facts. Your lost wages figure doesn't account for the fact that those affected either collect income while working other jobs in the meantime or picketing. Picketers have income too.