PDA

View Full Version : blower motor idle surge??bad thing??

IMPATIENT 1
06-25-2007, 05:49 AM
is it a bad thing to let a blown motor idle surge? my timings locked at 34, btm is turned to 1. it sounds awesome, just wondering if its bad on the mains to let it do it. fuel mixture is close so i don't think its idle surging from being to fat or lean. bottom of the surge is about 800, then back up to 15-1600.

hotbo
06-25-2007, 06:57 AM
well well are you asking questions over hear young man.i bet it sounds good.hell thought all blowers had idle surge thats what i love about them.but like you said hope its not hurting anything:confused:

Marty Gras
06-25-2007, 07:42 AM
Blower surge, "cycling" is a rich condition. If your motor were lean, it would just idle faster and may tend to stall and "cough". With mechanical fuel injectors on blown gas drag boats, we would richen the idle/barrel valve, to "kill" a little of the off idle power. The richer the idle, the more the motor surges. What happens when you turn the fuel valve off while the motor is running? It leans out, it picks up speed and then dies. Your bearing clearances will decide if they like the surge. With .003" on the rods or mains, I would try to stay around 1000RPMs on the low and 1500RPMs on the high. When you 'ease' it into gear, on the low (800RPMs) you may be loading the motor at 500RPMs and draging a bearing or two. Unless you have a jet drive, then it doesn't matter. The jet loads the motor very smoothly and creates no problems for the motor.

IMPATIENT 1
06-25-2007, 07:49 AM
well well are you asking questions over hear young man.i bet it sounds good.hell thought all blowers had idle surge thats what i love about them.but like you said hope its not hurting anything:confused:
a smart man knows to ask questions before probs arise;) i can idle up above it, but if its not hurting the bearings, i let it do it(sounds soo cool:D )

IMPATIENT 1
06-25-2007, 07:53 AM
Blower surge, "cycling" is a rich condition. If your motor were lean, it would just idle faster and may tend to stall and "cough". With mechanical fuel injectors on blown gas drag boats, we would richen the idle/barrel valve, to "kill" a little of the off idle power. The richer the idle, the more the motor surges. What happens when you turn the fuel valve off while the motor is running? It leans out, it picks up speed and then dies. Your bearing clearances will decide if they like the surge. With .003" on the rods or mains, I would try to stay around 1000RPMs on the low and 1500RPMs on the high. When you 'ease' it into gear, on the low (800RPMs) you may be loading the motor at 500RPMs and draging a bearing or two. Unless you have a jet drive, then it doesn't matter. The jet loads the motor very smoothly and creates no problems for the motor.
good to know, thanx. its in a jet and its not a bad surge, and my o2 system indicates fuel mixture is ok at idle. i jacked with the four corner idle at all 4 metering plates and its seems to run best with all four screws turned out 1 full turn.anything above 1 1/4 turn on the screws send my a/f ratio meter into a rich setting, anything less the 3/4 turn and its got a fast lean idle, a/f gauge show lean too. so i guess i'll live with surge

Havasu Hangin'
06-25-2007, 10:42 AM
The only thing better than one motor surging...
...is two (http://users.accesscomm.ca/tombrown/Labor Day HB 3.wmv).

hotbo
06-25-2007, 11:27 AM
wow that looked rough as hell,but the 2 motors sounded good:D

40FlatDeck
06-25-2007, 11:38 AM
The only time it is a pain is around the docks, and that's only sometimes. I love the sound of them surging.:D I also like how easy it is on the trannies when I shift.

DMOORE
06-25-2007, 03:53 PM
BOTH my motors surge between 800 and 1200RPM. After a bit of driving you get used to maneuvering with them. Also by timing the low point it just clicks into gear.
Oh ya.... it does sound bitching.
Darrell.

VDRIVERACING
06-25-2007, 07:39 PM
Let's face it, the looks and sounds have a lot to do with the decision--and ongoing love--to have a blower. It is the hottest, baddest, tinker toy we ever dreamdt of. Matter of fact, if it's not surging, I'm feeling a little cheated!
From a purely common sense standpoint, if it's not surging, you're probably too lean. Blowers need to puff a little smoke at idle, surge a bit...

Jet Hydro
06-26-2007, 07:51 AM
:idea: I like the way your thinking ;) :)

Unchained
06-26-2007, 08:11 AM
It is the hottest, baddest, tinker toy we ever dreamdt of.
The blower may be the baddest.....but Turbo's are the hottest,
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/daytona68072.jpg :D :D
I've got port injection and the only time it surges is if it is a little rich at idle. Usually only at cold start.

IMPATIENT 1
06-26-2007, 08:59 AM
The blower may be the baddest.....but Turbo's are the hottest,
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/daytona68072.jpg :D :D
I've got port injection and the only time it surges is if it is a little rich at idle. Usually only at cold start.
lol, i wish i could afford a set-up like that, but it ain't gonna happen till the kids are in college at least:( i'll have to stick with my po boy set-up for now:D
how's the vdrive working out? i haven't seen your jet tunnel around okla. yet, thought maybe they haven't repowered it yet.

Unchained
06-26-2007, 09:23 AM
how's the vdrive working out? i haven't seen your jet tunnel around okla. yet, thought maybe they haven't repowered it yet.
The guy who got the Stealth is probably about ready to run.
He had the turbo motor from his last boat to drop in.
He had to replace the suction housing before he was ready to run it.
He talked about resetting the intake too. It had some cracks in the epoxy from the original TPR job. Come to find out, set back pumps in lake boats need to be reset every few years. I wasn't happy to find that out.
My turbo motor in this V drive is a whole different program.
I have been trying different props to get a feel for it. The accelleration is just awesome but I don't feel comfortable with the handling yet. It feels squirrley as compared to the jet that was more predictable. I have no idea what rpm I'm turning or how much boost I'm putting out because my eyes are glued to the horizon. :eek: I've taken a few friends and my wife for rides and the response was always the same.............."Wow, I had no idea"
The acceleration rate with the V drive seems to increase with speed where the jets acceleration was greatest from 30 - 80 and tapered off after that.

Badburn
06-26-2007, 10:45 AM
Holly $hit Unchained, be careful with that thing. I drove a blown Alky v drive tunnel a few months back, and I know what you mean by squirlley:D
My take on the combo was: that motor and that boat didn't belong bolted together!
PS- How fast is it?

IMPATIENT 1
06-26-2007, 10:47 AM
The guy who got the Stealth is probably about ready to run.
He had the turbo motor from his last boat to drop in.
He had to replace the suction housing before he was ready to run it.
He talked about resetting the intake too. It had some cracks in the epoxy from the original TPR job. Come to find out, set back pumps in lake boats need to be reset every few years. I wasn't happy to find that out.
My turbo motor in this V drive is a whole different program.
I have been trying different props to get a feel for it. The accelleration is just awesome but I don't feel comfortable with the handling yet. It feels squirrley as compared to the jet that was more predictable. I have no idea what rpm I'm turning or how much boost I'm putting out because my eyes are glued to the horizon. :eek: I've taken a few friends and my wife for rides and the response was always the same.............."Wow, I had no idea"
The acceleration rate with the V drive seems to increase with speed where the jets acceleration was greatest from 30 - 80 and tapered off after that.
after my tx19 is in the shape i want, i'm getting a pontoon, then a flatty vdrive:D i've got sbc coming outta my ears and i have a dual tbi cross ram injection from a vette that'd be easy to set-up on a turbo deal. it may be a few more yrs. but i'm gonna build a turbo sbc for a small flat bottom, sure would be fun(scary:eek: ).
i've rode in alot of fast vdrive but like you said, handling is what keeps me from putting my fam in 1. my wife and kids like the jets, but i like how hard the vdrives pull, its addictive.

JMC
06-26-2007, 12:45 PM
is it a bad thing to let a blown motor idle surge? my timings locked at 34, btm is turned to 1. it sounds awesome, just wondering if its bad on the mains to let it do it. fuel mixture is close so i don't think its idle surging from being to fat or lean. bottom of the surge is about 800, then back up to 15-1600.
I would be more worried about your lifters than your bottom end. After the oil heats up you probably dont have much pressure at the bottom of the surge. If your running solid rollers you might want to keep the r's up while your in gear in the no wake zones. I always keep 25 -30 lbs (oil) at idle in gear, no matter what. After a long, hard run it's tough to keep the psi up and not piss off dock owners.

Unchained
06-26-2007, 01:13 PM
I don't think it's just the nature of the beast, I feel my setup is not right yet.
I may need to add outside cav plates or move the prop forward some more.
I was told from the start by several V drive owners that the right prop is the key to making the whole thing work right.
All around I'm real happy with the boat. The rough water handling is great.
I just need some more R & D time. :idea:

VDRIVERACING
06-28-2007, 08:34 PM
I would be more worried about your lifters than your bottom end. After the oil heats up you probably dont have much pressure at the bottom of the surge. If your running solid rollers you might want to keep the r's up while your in gear in the no wake zones. I always keep 25 -30 lbs (oil) at idle in gear, no matter what. After a long, hard run it's tough to keep the psi up and not piss off dock owners.
They still making solid lifters???:jawdrop:

Marty Gras
06-28-2007, 08:58 PM
"Unchained"? What gears and props are you testing? Your turbo motor can create the "bearing problem" quicker than a blower motor can. You can make boost "at the hit of the throttle", while blowers still need to have the crankshaft respond. With a tight A/R and large waste gates you can make monster boost at low RPMs. Back in the 1980's we did have problems with "squashing the oil out of the rod bearings" at too low of an RPM. We ended up staying with the V-drive gears and coming off of the prop diameter. This would give the "slip" needed to save the bearings and still allow the big top speeds. Having "talked with you in the past", I would start at 54's with a 11 1/4" X 16 2 blade, or 54's with an 11" X 16 pitch 3 blade (special cup). The small diameter will let you "drive the boat out of the gate" and still give great mid and top end speeds with improved control. Big diameter props are for airplanes!

Unchained
06-29-2007, 05:20 AM
Thanks again for your input George.
I sent you a message on the V-drive boats site.
I need some expert advise on this monster. It goes from 30 to 80 in two or three seconds and it just keeps pulling harder.
I feel I need to optimise the prop location forward of the transom.
I want some more input about the sponson strakes you mentioned too.
I have a three blade Menkens 11" x 15 with a cup on the trailing edges.
I got it from a guy in Az who had it on a ski race Schiada. It seems to work OK. I tried a two blade 11.25 x 15 also. I didn't like the vibration at all.
It shook the screws out of the face of the oil pressure gauge.
The motor has no problem at all getting on top of either of those props.
I'm still using 32% gears.
Mark

blown428fe
06-29-2007, 02:15 PM
Lost my surge over the winter, I was thinking my fuel might have went to shit.

Warp Factor
06-29-2007, 04:02 PM
OK. I tried a two blade 11.25 x 15 also. I didn't like the vibration at all.
It shook the screws out of the face of the oil pressure gauge.
Mark
Funny that you had the same experience....gauges failing with a two-blade.
Between us, we're learning something.
Two-blades don't want any engine monitoring. :D
Dan Chevillet (Skull Brothers Racing) told me that they used to remove the tach before taking the boat in to John Haas. Otherwise he'd remove it and throw it away. :(

Warp Factor
07-02-2007, 02:09 PM
An update on Mark's (Unchained) boat. He's currently suffering from some kind of modesty malady and might not post this.
He's still sorting things out, but he was taking people for rides the other day and gave a ride to a guy who runs about 120 mph, local king of lakeboats. This is what the guy had to say, posted on Screamandfly.com:
"I forgot to mention........
I was taken for a QUICK ride in Marks' new boat. Believe me, none of us are even close to being in his league. I'm just glad Mark backed off the throttle when he did, cuz I was just about ready to pull the bottom of his dash clean off. It may have only lasted 3 or 4 seconds, but it was the most hair raising, adrenaline pumping, not sure if it was pure excitement or just shy of being terrified experience I've ever had in a boat! IMPRESSIVE!!! Thanks for the ride Mark."

BUSBY
07-02-2007, 04:30 PM
blower surge ... on a cold start during November ...
(surging is normal IMO :D ):
Father-in-Laws:
http://www.unix-scripts.com/hb/uploads/coldstart_0001.wmv
My hydro:
http://www.unix-scripts.com/hb/uploads/2005Brian.mpg

jrork
07-02-2007, 05:52 PM
blower surge ... on a cold start during November ...
(surging is normal IMO :D ):
Father-in-Laws:
http://www.unix-scripts.com/hb/uploads/coldstart_0001.wmv
My hydro:
http://www.unix-scripts.com/hb/uploads/2005Brian.mpg
That is regoddamndickulas! Thanks Brian....you made my day. wonder if I could make that a ringtone on my cellphone......hmmmmm?

BUSBY
07-02-2007, 06:03 PM
Yeah ... blowers are cool :D

JMC
07-05-2007, 03:20 PM
They still making solid lifters???:jawdrop:
Sorry...I didn't mean to confuse you. Most peeps know you either dealing with hydraulic roller or solid. Solid Roller Lifter
Maybe this will help:
I would be more worried about your Solid Roller Lifters than your bottom end. After the oil heats up you probably dont have much pressure at the bottom of the surge. If your running Solid Roller Lifters you might want to keep the r's up while your in gear in the no wake zones. I always keep 25 -30 lbs (oil) at idle in gear, no matter what. After a long, hard run it's tough to keep the oil psi up for your Solid Roller Lifters and not piss off dock owners.

BigBlockOldsJet
07-06-2007, 09:04 PM
The only thing better than one motor surging...
...is two (http://users.accesscomm.ca/tombrown/Labor Day HB 3.wmv).
Sounded like a model airplane engine

Unitek
07-18-2007, 11:51 AM
Sorry...I didn't mean to confuse you. Most peeps know you either dealing with hydraulic roller or solid. Solid Roller Lifter
Maybe this will help:
I would be more worried about your Solid Roller Lifters than your bottom end. After the oil heats up you probably dont have much pressure at the bottom of the surge. If your running Solid Roller Lifters you might want to keep the r's up while your in gear in the no wake zones. I always keep 25 -30 lbs (oil) at idle in gear, no matter what. After a long, hard run it's tough to keep the oil psi up for your Solid Roller Lifters and not piss off dock owners.
Thanks for dumbing that down :) :) :D

Jerry L
07-21-2007, 04:54 AM
Just got my first jet boat..1976 Nescher Kaiwia/ Sleek Craft........about to start the restoration.........Going to run a 6-71 on top for a nastolgic look.......any help on camshaft selection for the Big Block Olds would be greatly appreciated...........would also like to know who manufactures a blower intake for the 455.........any response would be appreciated...I'm new to the H2O game but very excited about it.........Oh yes, it's motivated by the original Berkly pump.......Is this pump out dated or will I be able to rebuild it? Not looking to beat the world just make a nasty rooster....