PDA

View Full Version : sj help

hotbo
06-25-2007, 06:02 AM
well heres my question.i know i got off on the wrong foot and stepped on some pretty big toes,but i would appreciate and help and expert advice here:D
i have been told that some have some fast or had some fast sjs on the board.
so my question is with the e-pump what mods and so forth has been done.im running 73-74 to be exact my best pass was 73.7.my pump is cavitating on the big end horrible.so im going to address this with a different loader i have a hi-tech pro loader for the e-pump have tried 2 other type angle loaders only to make things worse.im also thinking about putting a bushing in the nozzle to help some hopefully.i have tried the backut e-shoe kit to no success.i only have 500 horse motor.516 to be close.with a 150 shot plate system that helps get me there quicker but the the cavitating sets in.am i pissing in the wind wanting 80 on my little motor or with the right setup is this possible.i have tried droops straight snoots and the boat does its best with stock coupler and a 4degree wedge.if i put my divirder all the way up it helps to keep pump loaded for a short time longer but slows me some and the ride is alilltle scary for me.i have my stock ride plate set at 6 degrees up and have tried the longer plate that came with my shoe kit only to slow me down also.plus it porpoised really bad with the longer plate.my boat likes to ride on its ass some and the longer plate i guess was trying to force the front back down.dont really know but this is what i ve been doing so far.i know that the sjs are not speed freaks but this is all i can afford right now.so maybe some can give me some fresh ideas other than im ignorant or to that affect.
okay im runinng a dominator split bowl with alittle work to the bowl a b-cut aggressor impeller tried the inducer to slow me down also and im not cavitation on the holeshot just up top.im turning close to5500 to be exact 5400-5500.i have drilled and tapped my pump parrelall to the shaft about 1 inch behind wear ring land and my pressure is 8-10 psi at its best.i checked it with the inducer in and it was worse5-7psi. i know you need more taps just using this as a reference point.what do you guys think.:confused: in advance thats for any info you might give me.later travis.

IMPATIENT 1
06-25-2007, 06:10 AM
well heres my question.i know i got off on the wrong foot and stepped on some pretty big toes,but i would appreciate and help and expert advice here:D
i have been told that some have some fast or had some fast sjs on the board.
so my question is with the e-pump what mods and so forth has been done.im running 73-74 to be exact my best pass was 73.7.my pump is cavitating on the big end horrible.so im going to address this with a different loader i have a hi-tech pro loader for the e-pump have tried 2 other type angle loaders only to make things worse.im also thinking about putting a bushing in the nozzle to help some hopefully.i have tried the backut e-shoe kit to no success.i only have 500 horse motor.516 to be close.with a 150 shot plate system that helps get me there quicker but the the cavitating sets in.am i pissing in the wind wanting 80 on my little motor or with the right setup is this possible.i have tried droops straight snoots and the boat does its best with stock coupler and a 4degree wedge.if i put my divirder all the way up it helps to keep pump loaded for a short time longer but slows me some and the ride is alilltle scary for me.i have my stock ride plate set at 6 degrees up and have tried the longer plate that came with my shoe kit only to slow me down also.plus it porpoised really bad with the longer plate.my boat likes to ride on its ass some and the longer plate i guess was trying to force the front back down.dont really know but this is what i ve been doing so far.i know that the sjs are not speed freaks but this is all i can afford right now.so maybe some can give me some fresh ideas other than im ignorant or to that affect.
okay im runinng a dominator split bowl with alittle work to the bowl a b-cut aggressor impeller tried the inducer to slow me down also and im not cavitation on the holeshot just up top.im turning close to5500 to be exact 5400-5500.i have drilled and tapped my pump parrelall to the shaft about 1 inch behind wear ring land and my pressure is 8-10 psi at its best.i checked it with the inducer in and it was worse5-7psi. i know you need more taps just using this as a reference point.what do you guys think.:confused: in advance thats for any info you might give me.later travis.
what do you guys think.:confused: in advance thats for any info you might give me.later
i think its time for a gullwing:D :D :D :D :D oh yeah, your nothing;) :D

hotbo
06-25-2007, 06:31 AM
well all be damned all i got is you so far.you are nothing you were nothing before me and you still are nothing lol!!!:D belive ill pass on the gullwing for now after taking out rusty bobbys at broken bow.:D
does anyone have any advice or is this payback:idea:

Jet Hydro
06-25-2007, 06:47 AM
run an Aggressor C with your HP and get the motor up to 6000 ;)
Mo speed will get you more intake psi but you still might need a better loader ;)
Hard to say with out driving the boat

hotbo
06-25-2007, 06:54 AM
well with the 150 shot it turns 6000 or close to it 5950.havent checked the top speed with my gps with the nos on.didnt really see the point with pump cavitating.;)

Jet Hydro
06-25-2007, 07:00 AM
how do you know it`s cavitating ? does it go faster if you let off a little?

IMPATIENT 1
06-25-2007, 07:03 AM
well all be damned all i got is you so far.you are nothing you were nothing before me and you still are nothing lol!!!:D belive ill pass on the gullwing for now after taking out rusty bobbys at broken bow.:D
does anyone have any advice or is this payback:idea:
lol, you haven't ran against my gullwing yet;) :D :devil: we're goin out wed evening after work to see what its gonna do. i tore it down again last nite just to check lash after its ran about 1 min total:D still spot on but i was drinking heavly when i adjusted the valves, wanted to double check myself anyways:D :D

hotbo
06-25-2007, 07:04 AM
how i know is the pressure guages startes reading irratic and i can hear the motor rev and you can actually feel the boat start jerking around and the ass gets somewhat squirrley.i have had some other people rid with me and they said it was like riding in a circus ride all the jerking back and forth.its not bad but you can feel and hear and see it.so yes its cavitating.:)

Jet Hydro
06-25-2007, 07:05 AM
Gullwings are slow little boats.....lol J/K
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/4213Wacorace2-med.bmp

hotbo
06-25-2007, 07:06 AM
lol!!!!yeah tom that would be you.i ran a 650 hp condor and yes we were close and we both cheated each other alot off the line but regardless i won 6 outta 7 races out of a cove.so im saying im doing alright with my sj.im not wasting my money on something till i get a tunnel picklefork.not all gullwings are slow though.you will see when you run chop helms or scotts tx-18.maybe make you cry alittle also

Jet Hydro
06-25-2007, 07:06 AM
how i know is the pressure guages startes reading irratic and i can hear the motor rev and you can actually feel the boat start jerking around and the ass gets somewhat squirrley.i have had some other people rid with me and they said it was like riding in a circus ride all the jerking back and forth.its not bad but you can feel and hear and see it.so yes its cavitating.:)
But if you back out a little does it stop and go faster?

IMPATIENT 1
06-25-2007, 07:07 AM
awesome pic!!!! nothing in tha water at all on your hydro. is that last season? very impressive for a jet hydro!!

Jet Hydro
06-25-2007, 07:08 AM
No that was a few years back down at Waco

hotbo
06-25-2007, 07:40 AM
doesnt really go faster but will help the cavitating allitle if i back off some.:confused:

Jet Hydro
06-25-2007, 07:41 AM
I`m still thinking some set-up time and maybe a good loader might be the fix????
How big is the nozzle ? 3.125 or bigger ?

hotbo
06-25-2007, 07:46 AM
3.25 which iwas told was to big.hey does abrass wear ring shrink any when put into the housing if so how much.think i found the problem to dads pump.he has .42 between wear ring land and impeller land outta the boat.told there should be maybe .10-.15.but then again do they shrink hes bronze impeller was turned by somebody? and the biggest wear ring avalibale was .050 and that is not enough i think.:confused:

bp
06-25-2007, 07:47 AM
i have drilled and tapped my pump parrelall to the shaft about 1 inch behind wear ring land and my pressure is 8-10 psi at its best.i checked it with the inducer in and it was worse5-7psi. i know you need more taps just using this as a reference point.what do you guys think.:confused: in advance thats for any info you might give me.later travis.
one pressure point is fine. i'm assuming you're seeing 8-10 at top speed? what are the pressures at 40-50-60? is it always 8-10? increase/decrease? with the inducer, what were the pressures at those same speeds? always the same, or did they change?

hotbo
06-25-2007, 07:51 AM
at 4000 rpm it is barley reading 4psi at 5000 rpm it is readin5-6 and at 5500 wot.it reads around 10psi.it would read lower with the inducer and very erratic.

BUSBY
06-25-2007, 07:57 AM
Asking on Monday morning is not going to get you a lot of responses right away ... most of the guys here are on their way into work, getting back to the grind, etc.
What do they say? You get more with sugar than salt? I think that coming out asking like you did in this thread instead of that other will help out. Just my .02 cents.
There are a lot of people who are in the position to have tested a lot here (cyclone, CS19, Sofa King, etc.). There are a lot of of long time racers (BP, Jet Hydro, PCE680, etc.).
They will offer up advice to those who ask ... but not to those who talk crap.
Just a little bit of what I've seen, so you know.
As far as your pump goes, I would call Jack McClure at MPD 949-631-2040.
He has 95% fastest jet drag boats out there right now and has been racing/building jet boats since 1970. It's his whole world and he's the one who came up with/had to do with a lot of the mods that we are running today in our pumps.
Good Luck,
Brian

hotbo
06-25-2007, 08:03 AM
Asking on Monday morning is not going to get you a lot of responses right away ... most of the guys here are on their way into work, getting back to the grind, etc.
What do they say? You get more with sugar than salt? I think that coming out asking like you did in this thread instead of that other will help out. Just my .02 cents.
There are a lot of people who are in the position to have tested a lot here (cyclone, CS19, Sofa King, etc.). There are a lot of of long time racers (BP, Jet Hydro, PCE680, etc.).
They will offer up advice to those who ask ... but not to those who talk crap.
Just a little bit of what I've seen, so you know.
As far as your pump goes, I would call Jack McClure at MPD 949-631-2040.
He has 95% fastest jet drag boats out there right now and has been racing/building jet boats since 1970. It's his whole world and he's the one who came up with/had to do with a lot of the mods that we are running today in our pumps.
Good Luck,
Brian
thank you for the # i will call him today.yeah i hope i can get more responses.thanks travis.

IMPATIENT 1
06-25-2007, 08:04 AM
3.25 which iwas told was to big.hey does abrass wear ring shrink any when put into the housing if so how much.think i found the problem to dads pump.he has .42 between wear ring land and impeller land outta the boat.told there should be maybe .10-.15.but then again do they shrink hes bronze impeller was turned by somebody? and the biggest wear ring avalibale was .050 and that is not enough i think.:confused:
sounds like new impellor time bro

Jet Hydro
06-25-2007, 08:08 AM
Ok 3.250 is not going to cause the problem you are claiming. If you had a 3.00 that might but bigger wont. That's ruled out for now. If the back of the boat is moving around some, taylors will do that at top speed as there are no fins on the bottom. I still say it`s got to be an easy fix but it`s really hard to say with out driving the boat but I`m still looking at loader and set-up.

hotbo
06-25-2007, 08:10 AM
i was thinking that a smaller bushing in the nozzle would help with my problem.but i think the key is my loader but damn i hate to spen another 300 dollar on a loader.

Taylorman
06-25-2007, 08:10 AM
What kind of loader do you have?

Jet Hydro
06-25-2007, 08:12 AM
We have cut wear rings out of raw stock before. If the impeller is cut past a safe range junk it before it brakes. You need to see how thick the ring land is.

hotbo
06-25-2007, 08:12 AM
the oh so wonderful hi-tech proloader they call it.how far does it need to be from the keel of the boat.1/8 -1/4 what do you guys think.might could ad some material if its way above keel.:confused: by the way that loader cost me 325.00dollars:devil:

hotbo
06-25-2007, 08:15 AM
We have cut wear rings out of raw stock before. If the impeller is cut past a safe range junk it before it brakes. You need to see how thick the ring land is. the ring land is plent thick i can measure for sure but it looks damn thick still.:confused: hell they dont make a bigger wearing than.050..does he wearring shrink when put in anybody????

Jet Hydro
06-25-2007, 08:20 AM
It should shrink a few .000 when installed but I don't think you could close that gap.
Is the 42 between wear ring land and impeller land installed or on the bench.
It needs to be installed then check it and see what you have

hotbo
06-25-2007, 08:24 AM
no thats on the bench.will do it in the boat thanks guys for helping.:D

IMPATIENT 1
06-25-2007, 08:29 AM
the ring land is plent thick i can measure for sure but it looks damn thick still.:confused: hell they dont make a bigger wearing than.050..does he wearring shrink when put in anybody????
my bronze ring closed up quiet a bit when i installed it. it was alittle sloppy on the impellor, but after installed, there's was hardly any slack before i put the bowl on.

hotbo
06-25-2007, 09:30 AM
well its to much cleareance.040.scotts going to loan him a ss aggressor b-cut and wear ring to see if that helps for now so he can go to the water.:D
i called jack at mpd very nice man enjoyed the visit with him,thanks for the #.:)

Sleeper CP
06-26-2007, 07:47 AM
You called MPD, was he able to give you some idea's on the shoe and intake grate that will help you out? Or do you just need more power?
Sleeper CP

hotbo
06-26-2007, 08:39 AM
no i didnt ask him about my boat,talked with him about dads tx-19 asked him about measuring the wear ring,impeller and other stuff to do with that.i was going to talk to him about my boat but after 37 minutes of explaining stuff to each other my ear hurt:D hes a nice man.my local jet shop and good freind deals with him on some of his loaders.so he told me hes nice also.
my buddy scott is going to make me a loader that his dads used to make for e-pumps in the 70s.he calls it a c-fang design,whatever in the hell that means.:idea: anyway he showed me the draft plans of it and im certain it will work.loads my pump 2 different angles.its a top loader and then it loads the lower half alittle.:idea: he said he makes then alittle long so they can be trimmed and tuned.im freaking tuned out and im afraid if i keep going out and runnign6-7 times wot for 1/8 -1/4 my motor will get tuned out also:devil:
but ill get it fixed .im done with the shoe kit for now.maybe later i will retry after i get my pump to work correctly and i achieve my max.speed which may not be more than now.then ill go to working and cutting on that add on shoe and see if it helps or hurts again.thanks for asking cp.:D

IMPATIENT 1
06-26-2007, 08:41 AM
im afraid if i keep going out and runnign6-7 times wot for 1/8 -1/4 my motor will get tuned out also
put a bbf in it:D

hotbo
06-26-2007, 08:43 AM
You called MPD, was he able to give you some idea's on the shoe and intake grate that will help you out? Or do you just need more power?
Sleeper CP
hell we all need more power dont we.im trying to get all i can from what little i got.500hp is not alot so im very thrilled about seeing what i can accomplish out of that power range with a heavy ass sj and a e-pump.i would like 75mph on motor which is 1-2 mph away from where im at and 80+on the bottle.some say not possible i say wait and see.if im pissing in the wind im not spending more money next winter on mor hp for a hull design like ive got.get me something that will be suite my need.:D

hotbo
06-26-2007, 08:44 AM
im afraid if i keep going out and runnign6-7 times wot for 1/8 -1/4 my motor will get tuned out also
put a bbf in it:D
you are nothing torpedo.:) thinking about a small block buick:eat: lmao

IMPATIENT 1
06-26-2007, 08:49 AM
you are nothing torpedo.:) thinking about a small block buick:eat: lmao
lol, i hope not!!!:D how's it goin bro?

hotbo
06-26-2007, 08:58 AM
just fine on lunch break the taylor site is slow these days i need to argue and type to some one who will argue backlol!!!!:D
when are you taking your boat out you pussy.:devil:

IMPATIENT 1
06-26-2007, 09:05 AM
just fine on lunch break the taylor site is slow these days i need to argue and type to some one who will argue backlol!!!!:D
when are you taking your boat out you pussy.:devil:
lmao, tommorrow:D i'm putting the seats back in tonite, then i gotta do some fab work to make my blower belt gaurd fit. my little princess wouldn't like being scalped by it:eek: