PDA

View Full Version : OK, another dumb qusetion

old rigger
11-02-2002, 09:46 AM
Well, first off that's supposed to be 'question'. For christ's sake, I gotta learn to spell.
What's done to a powerglide / 350 or 400 when they're used in a v-drive? I know, or at least I think I know, that the tourque converter is done away with, and a custom made hook up is used instead.
What else? A guy I know with a 21 Schiada said he went against the grain and left 'park' in his tranny to make it easier to change props. Is that common? I know the shifting is changed to where you can start in drive or manually start out in a lowerer gear, then shift.
But whats done to the innards?
[ November 02, 2002, 10:02 AM: Message edited by: old rigger ]

Highlimit9000
11-02-2002, 10:11 AM
Old rigger, I have a Powerglide in My Daycruiser. It still has Park. It is though a reverse Manual Valve Body. I have a regular Forward reverse type shifter with no lock-out. All the way forward is Park then 1 click back is Reverse then into Neutral then 1st gear then 2nd or drive gear. It is also nice to throw it in park on the trailer and run it so the Prop isn't spinning, of course with water going through the motor though.Included is a picture of shifter...Any more questions let me know... http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Reader_Rides/V-Drives/Cont_Int_Driver_Seat.JPG

schiada96
11-02-2002, 10:59 AM
Old rigger there is nothing special about a boat trans just a manual valve body to keep you from shifting into reverse - bad thing at speed. Just make sure you get the right valve body for the t-350 on the powerglide and t-400 the valve bodys are "reverse pattern shifting. On the t-350 you can get them both ways. To hook them to the engine you can use a hollow t-converter and a flexplate. TCI makes a coupler for dirt track that bolts on top of the flexplate. I use a piece from Art-Carr called a spline drive that uses a flywheel and a drive plate. I think the flywheel is best. I like the engine to rev a :rolleyes: little slower when it comes out of the water.

Highlimit9000
11-02-2002, 11:21 AM
Ditto, what Shiada96 said. I also use a Flywheel with a spline drive. This piece takes place of the convertor, and it is just to run the pump on the transmission for pressure.

DansBlown73Nordic
11-02-2002, 01:35 PM
I have a Turbo-400 in my Schiada with a converter. I have never had any problems with it.
I think if you use a pump driver it has to be made to the thickness of the mounting plate. If this is wrong the driver won't be in the transmission far enough.The correct length.
I also have park. It is great for running it out of water. The only bad thing is if you put in park after its been in gear, it grinds like Hell even in the water. eek!
Plus with park you can toss your Anchor!!! eek! :D

Highlimit9000
11-02-2002, 02:36 PM
Dans66stevens, your correct. I had to put a Shim in between the pilot bushing in the center of my crank, because the driver was going in too far and not making contact to turn the pump. The shim was machined out of alluminum and looked like a silver dollar when it was done! Works great though...