PDA

View Full Version : Accident on Rice rd yesterday

riverratrob
06-25-2007, 07:50 AM
I saw a bunch of peps helping a lady who's car rolled is she ok happened around 2:30 sun.

dunaholic
06-25-2007, 08:00 AM
What kind of car?

riverratrob
06-25-2007, 08:05 AM
From the bottom I would have to say it was a explorer towing a camper trailer I think it rolled just after the double tracks maybe 2 miles

Essexive G's
06-25-2007, 08:48 AM
We had the Ambulance pass us just before Vidal Junction around 2:30. About 5 min. before we got to the scene it was coming back. the explorer was still on it's side, the trailer still attached.
It made me think about why there are so many accidents on that road. We've all read about the speed, the passing, ect...
One thing that I haven't read about is the soft shoulder. I had a car in front of me a few weeks ago was trying to pull over onto the shoulder @ 65mph. I know they didn't realize that the soft sand was going to pull the wheel like that. I had moved over into the other lane just to be safe. Well as soon as she put the passenger wheels onto the shoulder she jerked the car hard left. When she did that the car went into the opposite lane of traffic right in front of me. She then pulled it back onto the right side of the road. I almost rear ended her while she was swerving all over the place. As I passed her she had regained control of the car, and was bringing it to a stop on the road before pulling onto the shoulder.
Next time you're traveling on rice look for old skid marks. You'll see that most originate from the right shoulder, then veer acrooss the road to the left then do this strange looking s type where the vehicle has spun.
You'll also notice that most of the skid marks star about 3/4 of the way into a left handed turn. The worst turn is when you are haeaded back to the 10 Fwy. about a mile south of the rice/ 62 junction to 29 Palms. That curve is the one that has a dip in it while you are turning to the left while the bank of the turn throws you to the outside. Scariest part of the drive for me.
Sorry for the long winded post, but I thought that I should mention the soft shoulders. Try not to get onto them @ speed.

SummitKarl
06-25-2007, 09:02 AM
. That curve is the one that has a dip in it while you are turning to the left while the bank of the turn throws you to the outside. Scariest part of the drive for me.
I love that part...off camber roller with a hicup......I always look foward to it
SK<<<<<<<<<WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO..."0 G's";) :D

Shorty|Ultra
06-25-2007, 09:31 AM
It made me think about why there are so many accidents on that road. We've all read about the speed, the passing, ect...
Wow, I am suprised you say there are so many accidents on rice road. In the 6 years we have been traveling on rice road out to parker we have NEVER seen an accident. I have heard stories but I guess we seem to get lucky every time (knocking on wood), we have never seen an accident or even been caught in traffic from an accident.

little rowe boat
06-25-2007, 09:35 AM
I don't drive Rice rd. It scares the sh!t out of me.

RaceFace
06-25-2007, 09:56 AM
I agree....Ehrenberg is worth the extra drive.

Ziggy
06-25-2007, 09:59 AM
My personal choice has been to deal with the speeders on Rice over the drunk indians on Ehrenburg..........

OGShocker
06-25-2007, 10:42 AM
I don't blame you. I would be afraid driving a F.O.R.D. IN A STRAIGHT LINE, if I were you... :D
Glad to hear there was no one hurt.

Essexive G's
06-25-2007, 12:16 PM
Wow, I am suprised you say there are so many accidents on rice road. In the 6 years we have been traveling on rice road out to parker we have NEVER seen an accident. I have heard stories but I guess we seem to get lucky every time (knocking on wood), we have never seen an accident or even been caught in traffic from an accident.
I've got about a 66% chance of NOT seeing an accident. What times (to & from) do you travel it?

havaduner
06-25-2007, 12:19 PM
Hope everyone was OK, when we went by several others had stopped, and put up a canopy to get everyone out of the sun. Looked to be some shook up kids.:(
Does anybody know why Rice road was closed at Vidal Jct.(heading east) on Thurs. evening?

Mrs. casean
06-25-2007, 12:45 PM
Hope everyone was OK, when we went by several others had stopped, and put up a canopy to get everyone out of the sun. Looked to be some shook up kids.:(
Does anybody know why Rice road was closed at Vidal Jct.(heading east) on Thurs. evening?
Found out right when we rolled in that we just had pissed it by minutes and there were 2 fatalities. What I have heard but don't quote me, is someone was attempting to pass and didn't make it. :( It was a mellow drive out Thursday night for us luckily but the unfortunate happened :(
Then driving home yesterday afternoon we passed the blue ez up too :( Saw the family on the side of the road and lots of people already helping them so we kept going. So sad to see :( I hope everyone was ok!

Krumbsnatcher
06-25-2007, 01:09 PM
Friday night, 3 fatalities head on collision they closed rice road!

Shorty|Ultra
06-25-2007, 01:31 PM
Friday night, 3 fatalities head on collision they closed rice road!
Wow, we sure got lucky, we left at about 2 PM from Parker on Friday. Now I am glad we didn't sit around wasting time packing up camp.

rivrrts429
06-25-2007, 04:30 PM
When I had gone by there were quite a few people helping plus someone had put a blue awning up. Very cool that so many people are willing to help. But whats the deal with the Fire Dept.? After I passed the accident I figured that fire was coming from the east somewhere but when I got all the way to the 62 interchange they were coming from Desert Center way. Could some of these fatalities be avoided if the response times were narrowed? I figured the accident had been there a while when I reached it and no CHP or Fire on scene. 20 minutes after passing it Fire is coming from the west. I hope someone can shed some light on what happened and I hope everyone was OK.