PDA

View Full Version : Your Jet experience wanted!

red Dawg
06-25-2007, 02:05 PM
Well I'm new to the whole jet scene and I'm looking at a 18' 1970 Kona as a preject! It has a Berkely jet just lacks an engine and some TLC to the interrior and exterrior appearence! Havent seen the boat in person yet so Im not exactly sure on the condition of the hull! What do yal think? I've got a 350 punched out to a 383 would this push this boat or should I go with a BBC? Thanks in advance!

pw_Tony
06-25-2007, 02:12 PM
What are they askin for it price wise?

Xlration Marine
06-25-2007, 02:16 PM
Well I was at the Lake with the good boys from Hot Boat doing a photo shoot. My boat and a couple others. The photo shoot was done and we were heading to the back of the lake. Hauling azz about 65. Up comes a cross wind. That sucked, doing 65 mph SIDE WAYS. Make sure you keep the rudder and finns on that sucker.

red Dawg
06-25-2007, 02:17 PM
There wanting 1500 or BO but i think if i walk in there with 800 cash I'll be able to take it home! I'll see if I can get some pics to load of it!

red Dawg
06-25-2007, 02:19 PM
How do I go about putting pics on here?

pw_Tony
06-25-2007, 02:20 PM
There wanting 1500 or BO but i think if i walk in there with 800 cash I'll be able to take it home! I'll see if I can get some pics to load of it!
800 for a jet boat that needs work, nno motor set up for a small block? Maybe you need some pics cause to me that doesn't seem like the best deal
Well I was at the Lake with the good boys from Hot Boat doing a photo shoot. My boat and a couple others. The photo shoot was done and we were heading to the back of the lake. Hauling azz about 65. Up comes a cross wind. That sucked, doing 65 mph SIDE WAYS. Make sure you keep the rudder and finns on that sucker.
What the hell are you talking about lol?

red Dawg
06-25-2007, 02:23 PM
Yeah im not sure how good the pump is either!
I think he posted in the wrong place! lol

pw_Tony
06-25-2007, 02:24 PM
To put pics on here I always used www.tinypic.com and then upload it. THen copy and paste the link for forums and past it on here.. sounds more complicated than it is

red Dawg
06-25-2007, 02:26 PM
Oh ok! I can probably do the same with photobucket then!

red Dawg
06-25-2007, 02:29 PM
Well damn, I'll have to wait till I get home from work to post pics! Gov pc's block too much crap! lol
If you want you can go to www.boats.com and put in this ad #10486162 and it should take you right to it!

pw_Tony
06-25-2007, 02:31 PM
For some reason I can't PM you yet. Make sure you copy the "forums" one and not the myspace one

TahitiTiger
06-25-2007, 02:49 PM
I paid $200 for my 72 Tahiti, with blown 455(thats blown up, not supercharged LOL), and 4 hour rebuilt Berk JC pump.

pw_Tony
06-25-2007, 02:58 PM
Bought my 20' Spectra with a running 460 freshly rebuilt for $400 with tandem trailer.
And bought my Sleekcraft for $500 with a blown motor.
You'll find a good deal

red Dawg
06-25-2007, 02:59 PM
Gues Ill have to talk to the guy! The trailer looks to be in good shape! lol

red Dawg
06-25-2007, 03:04 PM
So providing I get this for a good deal would putting a small block in it not be a wise choice! I also have a 396 sitting in the garage too!

pw_Tony
06-25-2007, 03:09 PM
So providing I get this for a good deal would putting a small block in it not be a wise choice! I also have a 396 sitting in the garage too!
Dude if yah got a 396 in the garage, and have some extra dough for the stuff to hook it up! then that would be kick ass... but I'm not too sure bout putting a car engine in a boat, I've done it before with success, but some guys on here might find that a bad idea.

LGCDEVIL
06-25-2007, 03:12 PM
Doesn't look too bad. Has a shoe, plate, droop & place diverter. I would take a close look at the stringers. Looks like they tried to beef 'em up with some 1/8" diamond plate aluminum. Single axle trailer is a downer, depending on how far you plan to tow.
If you have a ton of free time and like to spend it working on boats, $500 would probably be fair for the boat. You will put $5-10K more in it (plus a few hundred hours of your time) depending on how much you spend on power. When you are done, and it's a nice piece, you could probably get $4-7K for it.
*Re-hab the trailer
*Color sand, paint, or re-gel
*Rub rail
*Carpet
*Interior
*Wiring
*Gauges
*Plumbing
*Engine & Accessories
*Motor mounts
*Exhaust
Have fun
Oh yeah,
*All those bitchen anodized aluminum pieces (gauge bezels, shifter, battery box, fuel fills, etc, etc.....) that you can't believe how much that shit costs but it's worth it cause it looks cool.

red Dawg
06-25-2007, 03:12 PM
Well the 383 is all forged internals, and the 396 just need to be built but the parts for the 396 are twice as much as for the 383! Not wanting to spend over 8000 over all!

pw_Tony
06-25-2007, 03:19 PM
Oh that boat looks like a decent deal! Fock replacing the interior, just get one for the driver sweet and wet sand and buff the paint! Diffently put your 396 in it and that would be a pretty sweet boat, has lots of potential:)
http://i13.tinypic.com/4tge891.jpg
http://i9.tinypic.com/6heqrnn.jpg
http://i9.tinypic.com/6bxcpjt.jpg
http://i9.tinypic.com/4kp0xaf.jpg
http://i13.tinypic.com/4t8rcap.jpg

red Dawg
06-25-2007, 03:23 PM
Keep in mind that my 383 and 396 are car engines! What need to be done to conver to marine? Or would I be better off just getting a used merc 454 or something?
I appreciat yal help and info on this so far! I'm glade I came on here before I paid 1200 bucks for a piece!

Jet Hydro
06-25-2007, 03:26 PM
yep, go with the SBC ;) I did one last year and the guy is happy with his SBC. that boat is a lot like my old sunkist and it was pretty light so we tried a SBC and it ran pretty good ;)
how Fast do you want to go?

pw_Tony
06-25-2007, 03:29 PM
For me any toy is the same way...
Once you have it running it's lots of fun but you get used to the power...
And you can run good with a small block but I feel like you WILL want to go faster...
and that's why a Big Block is the way to go...
just my .02 c since you already have a BBC

vee-driven
06-25-2007, 03:30 PM
Well the 383 is all forged internals, and the 396 just need to be built but the parts for the 396 are twice as much as for the 383! Not wanting to spend over 8000 over all!
save yourself some trouble and take the $8,000 and buy a boat someone stuck a bunch of money into, just my thoughts.

red Dawg
06-25-2007, 03:35 PM
OK, so here is another question! Does the pump drive shaft connect directly to the flywheel or is there some kind of slip clutch in between?
I would like to be in the mid 80's for MPH!

pw_Tony
06-25-2007, 03:38 PM
OK, so here is another question! Does the pump drive shaft connect directly to the flywheel or is there some kind of slip clutch in between?
You're gonna want a big block for mid 80's. And before the Aluminum fellas come in here and say "no you dont", it's just easiar for that boat with a bbc.
And yes it's connected directly, your forward and revers is the bucket at the end of the pump that simply diverts the water backwards to push you backwards.

patrolman808
06-25-2007, 03:41 PM
Most guys use a PTO that bolts to the flywheel/flexplate that has 4 holes for the driveline on the pump to bolt up to. http://www.jetboatperformance.com/images/uploads/powertakeoff.JPG

red Dawg
06-25-2007, 03:42 PM
Ok, so there must be some sort of clutch in the pump right? Other wise the boat would always want to move! If im thinking right! lol

red Dawg
06-25-2007, 03:45 PM
Most guys use a PTO that bolts to the flywheel/flexplate that has 4 holes for the driveline on the pump to bolt up to. http://www.jetboatperformance.com/images/uploads/powertakeoff.JPG
I believe ther is one already on the pump shaft of the boat Im looking at!

pw_Tony
06-25-2007, 03:47 PM
Ok, so there must be some sort of clutch in the pump right? Other wise the boat would always want to move! If im thinking right! lol
There's a bucket on the end of the jet that blocks the water half half if you don't want to move, if it blocks all the jet it's for reverse, and open is for forward. The jet is always constantly pumping water. The handle on the left side of the driver seat is for controlling the bucket open.close
Small block. These pig block guys just don't get that less weight and proper set up will make up for less power.....
Told yah they would...

red Dawg
06-25-2007, 03:50 PM
Small block. These pig block guys just don't get that less weight and proper set up will make up for less power.....
So basically its whatever I want to use for power and how much I want to spend!
Roughly what type of HP are we talking for 80+ in an 18ft boat! My 383 it putting over 425 HP at the cranK right know and is in my friends 11 sec Nova!

red Dawg
06-25-2007, 03:54 PM
There's a bucket on the end of the jet that blocks the water half half if you don't want to move, if it blocks all the jet it's for reverse, and open is for forward. The jet is always constantly pumping water. The handle on the left side of the driver seat is for controlling the bucket open.close
Told yah they would...
OK , now I see how it works! So you open the gate and mash the foot peddal right! lol What might the lever on the right do?

Xlration Marine
06-25-2007, 03:56 PM
Heck bought one for $100.00, and the other for $100.00. One jet one OB. Both new with new tandem axle trailer, new interior. Every thing was NEW. $100.00 each. With a 454 blower motor on a pallet, fresh to boot.

gbelt
06-25-2007, 03:59 PM
No clutch, at the end of the pump nozzle there is a "reverse bucket" that drops down over the opening and redirects the water forward. Somewhere between having the handle in reverse and forward is neutral. I have a similiar looking boat that has the dreaded SBC, which has served me well for over 15 years. It's bottom end is stock 350 (the marine version whatever that means to you, 8.5 compression, 4 bolt mains, with the usual tricks, cam, carb, intake, headers, ignition) It's quick to a point and will do a little over 60, I have no problem hauling a 200 pund skier out of the water, beat a few big block boats from a standstill (but they all went past me on the top end). On the other hand I wave to my buddy a couple times a day when he's back at the gas dock filling his 455. That and no matter where I go I can find a part for a SBC. I'm a Ford guy and would have chosen a 460 or 428, but the boat came with a readily available engine. If you have a 383 ready to go I see no reason for not using it, I don't know what you put in it but I'll bet it would quite a respectable ride. And yes, 80+ will be easier to come by with the big block.

pw_Tony
06-25-2007, 04:00 PM
OK , now I see how it works! So you open the gate and mash the foot peddal right! lol What might the lever on the right do?
That's your adjusting your trim. With it adjusted a little higher it can bring more of the front of the boat out of the water which in turns means less water drag=more mph.
And you should try and find out what Impellar it has, cause if your small block makes all it's power at 6000 rpm, certain impellars will only allow your engine to go so many RPM. Here's a chart with Impellar sizes, comparable for RPM and horsepower.
http://i7.tinypic.com/4xom03r.jpg
Most guys on here I think would say you need at least 500hp to go 80mph.
And most factory impellars are about an "A" impellar, but who knows on that boat cause it looks like it has pump work

red Dawg
06-25-2007, 04:02 PM
Do you need to put a cam that makes more low end tourqe for a mariene application?

pw_Tony
06-25-2007, 04:03 PM
the 70's are over
I would love an Aluminum boat but Alas I'm a poor white boy...:rolleyes:

pw_Tony
06-25-2007, 04:04 PM
Do you need to put a cam that makes more low end tourqe for a mariene application?
It all depends on your impellar. If it's a B cut or a C cut then maybe not...

red Dawg
06-25-2007, 04:08 PM
Ok, wow I've learned a lot today thanks to you guys! This is really helping me out on my decisions!

Sleeper CP
06-25-2007, 04:33 PM
save yourself some trouble and take the $8,000 and buy a boat someone stuck a bunch of money into, just my thoughts.
My .02 is ,I got to agree with the guy with the hottest avitar on Hot Boat .Com.
Unless you just like projects, buy another boat that's good to go. If you have $8k to spend go find something nice and start enjoying it the first weekend you have it. Buying a used boat is alot like buying a used drag car vs building one. You could build your own for $45K and take 2 years doing it, or look in National Dragster on RacingJunk.com and buy one ready to go for $15k.
Just something to think about. That just looks like a large project for someone that is very "green" at this.
Sleeper CP

pw_Tony
06-25-2007, 04:41 PM
I'd throw a motor in that thing, get a driver seat, fix the wiring, and wet sand and buff that biotch... all under budget and might turn out pretty decent:)

mdunn01
06-25-2007, 04:52 PM
Best advice yet!! For $6,500 and up you can get a sweet boat ready to go. Just from the looks of this you will need, paint, wire work, gauges, interior,cables,etc..etc...etc...I wouldnt give more than $500 for it.
Mike

zudnic
06-25-2007, 05:06 PM
Ask Jet Hydro what power he put into a boat that he did last year. 500 HP should get you 80, the less weight you have to push the easier it is to attain the numbers you want, glass or alum hull.
Are you saying this to mock me? :idea: :)
I agree with you and thats my theory less weight makes up for the lower HP.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my F'in P-car repair bill was not slightly high this month I would be buying another boat.. I wanna a BBC as well. I'm an x-car biz guy so like to search for bargains.
If you want a project I would consider your choice looks like it would be fun to bring that one back. If you want to get something cheap to get on the water and yeck yeah I've got an engine to toss in type deal. Lots of jets around below $5K that are river/lake ready with alots less work invovled.
I have not looked at this example. Experience says if its as good as it looks bet you could get it at least $4,500. Less than what you'd spend to get your find back on the water.
http://corvallis.craigslist.org/boa/339427612.html

Sleeper CP
06-25-2007, 05:08 PM
What are the words from the M&M song " Back to reality":eek:
I almost hate to stick my nose in this,but I'm going to anyway cause I would like to be helpful: Here are a few reality checks :
1. He is new to boats, doesn't know how a jet drive is hooked up.
2. Wanted to know if there was a clutch.
3. It's a 1970 boat.
4. It has been sitting out side for "God" only knows how long.
5. How much wood root do you think is in the floor of that antique
6. Replacing the freaking cables and gauges on that thing will cost him more than the boat cost.
7. I'll stop at 1/2 dozen ,but I could add 18 more.
8. just for the hell of it. Quote :"What might the lever on the right do"
So unless you just love projects and want something to work on, due yourself a big favor and look at Craigslist or AutoTrader and see what else is out there for your $8k buget.
I guarantee you you'll have $10K in that thing and there is no way in hell that 1970 Kona is going to run your target of mid-80's with what you have to push it.
But if you buy it, good for you. I hope you enjoy your two years of getting it together, You can post quarterly updates to keep us entertained.
P.S. I love boats and would hope that your experinces with them are as good as mine. But a long tuff project can sour a person real easy. I just want you to be careful of what you are getting into with your lack of knowledge on this subject.
Sleeper CP

pw_Tony
06-25-2007, 05:14 PM
What are the words from the M&M song " Back to reality":eek:
I almost hate to stick my nose in this,but I'm going to anyway cause I would like to be helpful: Here are a few reality checks :
1. He is new to boats, doesn't know how a jet drive is hooked up.
2. Wanted to know if there was a clutch.
3. It's a 1970 boat.
4. It has been sitting out side for "God" only knows how long.
5. How much wood root do you think is in the floor of that antique
6. Replacing the freaking cables and gauges on that thing will cost him more that the boat.
7. I'll stop at 1/2 dozen ,but I could add 18 more.
So unless you just love projects and want some to work on do yourself a big favor and look at Craigslist or AutoTrader and see what else is out there.
I guarantee you you'll have $10K in that thing and there is no way in hell that 1970 Kona is going to run your target of mid-80's with what you have to push it.
But if you buy it, good for you. I hope you enjoy your two years of getting it together, You can post quarterly updates to keep us entertained.
Sleeper CP
That's a good way of discouraging someone to have a project. I have two boats that aren't the nicest, but I enjoy them and have les than $1500 into each of them and enjoy working on things. I wish I had the money to buy a $6000 but we make a living with what we can. So if you discourage hard work to appreciate what you've done then yea, I guess I would go out and buy a boat that's nice and done. He has a motor, summit guages are cheap. Maybe the boat is rotted out who knows. You can either put money into that boat, or labor, some people do things differently I guess

Sleeper CP
06-25-2007, 05:44 PM
Yes some people due do things differntly that is true. But I was reading the post and noticed that all of those that are encougaging him to go forward never once pointed out the negatives. It's a balancing act. He is so new to this he didn't know what the different lever's are for. Did anyone ask him if there was wood root in the boat? I'll bet you a beer when I see you at Martinez this year that there is. So there are pitfalls and landmines in the direction he is heading and he needs to weigh that against his abilities an the option of buying a turn key boat or at least one that he can just drop one of his enginies in and go.
I would love him to enjoy all the fun we all have with our boats.
Sleeper CP

Slacker
06-25-2007, 05:44 PM
I am not trying to discourage anyone but Stuff adds up quick. Hell i already had a running boat and i went over budget redoing the motor, carpet and pump. It was mostly on all the little crap that i forgot or just didnt know i would need. If you do the project you know what you have, instead of buying someone elses toy etc.. But at the same time there is nothing wrong with buying a decent running boat that you can get in and enjoy, at the same time you can learn what goes where and how things work if its already together and running. Why spend a ton of cash on something that he might not like in the long run, besides owning a boat is never CHEAP! 8000 should be plenty to find a decent running boat especially here on the eest coast, so i know there will be plenty out west. Good luck with whatever you decide.

pw_Tony
06-25-2007, 06:01 PM
He doesn't have 8000 to spend, he doesn't want to. Sorry if I got a little harsh, all I do is projects due to lack of funds:( . But it's not a "turn it around in 2 weeks like pimp-my-boat thing". Do one thing at a time, that's why it's called a project. You don't need perfect interior and shiny paint to go out and have fun. Shit my Spectra looks worse than that thing, and I'm not a jet-boat guru like you guys. But if he wants to have fun, or possibly go fast I'm just saying that boat has possibilities. Some wood and some glass to fix the rot ain't that big of a deal, just time. He has a motor, and might be able to find some stuff on e-bay to hook it up, that's where I get lots of my stuff along with craigslist.
But if he does have the funds to buy a done boat I would have to agree to go for a different boat as well. Even a little $5000 loan to buy a pretty decent boat.
But I'm a pay-check to pay-check budget (probably due to boats taking all of it:D ) So I like projects that take labor. I can't do interior, and never rebuilt a pump, but I'm gonna try :)

pw_Tony
06-25-2007, 06:04 PM
[QUOTE=LGCDEVIL;2638887]Doesn't look too bad. Has a shoe, plate, droop & place diverter. I would take a close look at the stringers for rot. Looks like they tried to beef 'em up with some 1/8" diamond plate aluminum. Single axle trailer is a downer, depending on how far you plan to tow.
*QUOTE]
There's someone asking bout rot.
p.s. I cheated in that quote:D :D

jet guy
06-25-2007, 06:56 PM
Dude Im new here to and love the jets they are the sh-- I m also an aircraft mechnic lockheed pays me well to work on the block 60 f 16 I work with jet engines, aircraft wiring hydro systems and so on every day I bought a 69 tahiti 4 months ago and just got it running to the point that I can use it not close to done that will take me a couple years and all I would like to see for speed is 60 to 70 There are alot of things I didnt know about the way the hull would act at speed and slowing down from high speeds or that the jet will eat 100 feet of ski rope in about 2 sec. or how to get it out found that out this weekend I almost lost intrest altogether trying to get it working if you can spend the money at once and go play and have fun cool that is the way to go I have a 350 olds mild it only gets 40 to 45 Im going to bag the small block and get a 454 or 502 chevy but the mounts for the chevy alone will cost $400.00 and that is the tip of the ice burg If money at one time is an issue get it running and use it some this summer and do the work that keeps you in the driveway when its to cold if you can. Also bag the small block if you need speed. Just the way this new guy sees it

squirt'nmyload
06-25-2007, 07:07 PM
dude Im new here to and love the jets are the sh-- I m also an aircraft mechnic lockheed pays me well to work on the block 60 f 16 I work with jet engines, aircraft wiring hydro systems and so on every day I bought a 69 tahiti 4 months ago and just got it running to the point that I can use it not close to done that will take me a couple years and all I would like to see for speed is 60 to 70 I almost lost intrest altogether if you can spend the money at one and go play and have fun cool that is the way to go I have an 350 olds mild it only gets 40 to 45 I am going to bag the small block and get a 454 or 502 chevy but the mounts for the chevy alone will cost $400.00and that is the tip of the ice burg If money at one time is an issue get it running and use it some this summer and do the work that keeps you in the driveway when its to cold if you can also bag the small block if you need speed just the way this new guy sees it
well that was a mouthfull :D ...my .02 is that if you have the $$$ then buy one done. if you are looking for a project then go for it. it's what you want. i went down the project road and dumped it for a finished hull. best decision i ever made :)

jetboatperformance
06-25-2007, 07:11 PM
Reddawg Looks like a pretty decent project ,its already got a lot of good pieces on it .Don't sweat the SBC if set up correctly it will make decent power .Buy it "right" and have fun with the project Tom

Sleeper CP
06-25-2007, 07:38 PM
If you have a ton of free time and like to spend it working on boats, $500 would probably be fair for the boat. ]You will put $5-10K more in it [/B](plus a few hundred hours of your time) depending on how much you spend on power. When you are done, and it's a nice piece, you could probably get $4-7K for it.
*Re-hab the trailer
*Color sand, paint, or re-gel
*Rub rail
*Carpet
*Interior
*Wiring
*Gauges
*Plumbing
*Engine & Accessories
*Motor mounts
*Exhaust
Have fun
Oh yeah,
*All those bitchen anodized aluminum pieces (gauge bezels, shifter, battery box, fuel fills, etc, etc.....) that you can't believe how much that shit costs but it's worth it cause it looks cool.
LGDevil was the only one pointing out the reality of this project. When you read it I'm not exactly sure it's encouragement, but laying out the path this project will take, with time and money. What's your time worth? And I know that you are mechcanical, but not every one else is. I'm not sure the project guys is.
His statement was he doesn't want to spend over $8k he didn't say he only has $5K.
Sleeper CP

pw_Tony
06-25-2007, 07:42 PM
LGDevil was the only one pointing out the reality of this project. When you read it I'm not exactly sure it's encouragement, but laying out the path this project will take, with time and money. What's your time worth? And I know that you are mechcanical, but not every one else is. I'm not sure the project guys is.
Sleeper CP
Word... he might be Mecantical:D :D :D

jetboatperformance
06-25-2007, 08:19 PM
the Hookup is direct from crank to pumpshaft via driveline (Ujoints) Tom

red Dawg
06-25-2007, 08:32 PM
Well just to give yal a little of my back ground! I've been a diesel mechanic in the Air Force for over six years now! I've restore only two other boats one was a 76 starcraft O/B and the other was a 85 blue fisher or something like that! I'm very mechanically inclined and am always thinking! The main reason I want to go this route is because of cash flow! I dont have 5 grand cash in the bank to spend nor do I want to make payments on a loan! So I figured that I would do a project! I've got an engine, about the only thing I'll pay someone to do is reapulster the seats! As far as paint, carpeting,glass work,electrical, and engine work goes I'll be doing it all my self with the help of my roommate in various ares! Now I just need to go physically look at the condition of this boat!
Thanks again for yals opinions and advice!

pw_Tony
06-25-2007, 08:35 PM
Sounds like a plan Red Dawg, if you need parts or advise give Tom a call at Jetboatperformance right above you, very smart guys and easy to deal with, he'll probably give you the best advice:)

Sleeper CP
06-25-2007, 08:40 PM
That would be a good project, and with that bit of info it sounds like you know what you are getting into. Check for woodrot and soft spots in the floor. I'm not sure if you'll get that baby into the 80's though?
I hope it turns out well.
Sleeper CP

red Dawg
06-25-2007, 08:45 PM
Yeah I think one of the first things Im going to do is check to see what that carpet is covering up! Been thinking about putting a little blower on top of the 383 also!

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
06-25-2007, 08:49 PM
Oh yeah,
Are you kidding me???? Have you priced all the stainless nuts,washers and bolts?? :sqeyes: :sqeyes: Then imagine them being allen head bolts on top of that:eek:
but it's worth it cause it looks cool.
Hell muthafukking yeah it is ;) ;)

LGCDEVIL
06-25-2007, 09:13 PM
Sorry. Forgot about stainless hardware. Add another nickel.

jet guy
06-25-2007, 10:10 PM
I hope you have as much fun with your project as I am with mine good luck. Were are you stationed

HalletDave
06-26-2007, 05:58 AM
Yes, the "H" bar assembly bolts directly to the fly-wheel.
A small block with a blower, mid 80 MPH, questionable.
There are a lot of turn key boats out there for 8 grand.
I would rather be on the water instead of fixing someone elses project.
My .02 Good luck

ck7684
06-26-2007, 07:33 AM
If you like working on stuff like this, it sounds like a good deal to me. Working on it is half the fun!! I also think a 383 would be a better choice than a 396. Not sure if it will take you to 80+, but if you are just building for fun, ignore speed numbers. Mine only does 70 and it's a blast!!

Sleeper CP
06-26-2007, 07:57 AM
If you like working on stuff like this, it sounds like a good deal to me. Working on it is half the fun!! I also think a 383 would be a better choice than a 396. Not sure if it will take you to 80+, but if you are just building for fun, ignore speed numbers. Mine only does 70 and it's a blast!!
Good advice on the blown SmBlk. If he get's the boat He needs to turn it over and check the bottom to take out any hook if he is looking for the speed numbers.
And yes working on it is half the fun.:) :D ..
Sleeper CP

gqchris
06-26-2007, 08:53 AM
[QUOTE=396_WAYS_TO_SPIT;2639728]Are you kidding me???? Have you priced all the stainless nuts,washers and bolts?? :sqeyes: :sqeyes: Then imagine them being allen head bolts on top of that:eek:
Amen to that Mike! You gotta buy the good stuff if you want to do it right! IT amazing how much it nickels and dimes us to death.
I agree with everyone telling it like it is regarding the project end of it. Its nice to know both sides of the coin. I ditched my project in Lieu of a boat that was almost done. Still shelling out the coin to get it where I want to be, but I just lost the love in my Southwind trying to get her done. I swore this summer that I would not be boatless. See everyone this weekend at Big River:D
Chris

red Dawg
06-26-2007, 11:29 AM
I hope you have as much fun with your project as I am with mine good luck. Were are you stationed
Robins AFB, GA! Originally from Upstate NY!

thatguy
06-26-2007, 03:00 PM
"Restoring" it is definitely a long, expensive road. BUT, "getting it going" maybe not so long or expensive. I see both possibilities. wiring harnesses are not that cheap or easy to install. BUT a roll of wire is cheap. I think you could get it on the water at least with out spending the figures mentioned. Especially if you have some ingenuity, which it sounds like you do. Then once you see what the deal is with how everything works, or doesn't, decide if you want to re-do it right. THATS when the coin will flow! Stainless hardware is the right way, but the boat doesn't know that. All that cool and expensive plumbing is absolutely necessary if you want it done right, BUT cheaper stuff works for a while. As long as safety is considered (fuel leaks or coolant line leaks, sinking) you can shoestring it and then figure out your next move.
After all, it does have a pump, a steering wheel, and a place for an engine!
The money is not available to buy a clean boat, project is the only option. I say if thats the only choice then go for it.
Just try not to set ANY unrealistic benchmarks like MPH. It takes alot of knowledge, experience, and MONEY to get that boat near 80.
You get it in the water with whatever engine is easiest and cheapest and go from there.
Tommy

red Dawg
06-26-2007, 03:37 PM
"Restoring" it is definitely a long, expensive road. BUT, "getting it going" maybe not so long or expensive. I see both possibilities. wiring harnesses are not that cheap or easy to install. BUT a roll of wire is cheap. I think you could get it on the water at least with out spending the figures mentioned. Especially if you have some ingenuity, which it sounds like you do. Then once you see what the deal is with how everything works, or doesn't, decide if you want to re-do it right. THATS when the coin will flow! Stainless hardware is the right way, but the boat doesn't know that. All that cool and expensive plumbing is absolutely necessary if you want it done right, BUT cheaper stuff works for a while. As long as safety is considered (fuel leaks or coolant line leaks, sinking) you can shoestring it and then figure out your next move.
After all, it does have a pump, a steering wheel, and a place for an engine!
The money is not available to buy a clean boat, project is the only option. I say if thats the only choice then go for it.
Just try not to set ANY unrealistic benchmarks like MPH. It takes alot of knowledge, experience, and MONEY to get that boat near 80.
You get it in the water with whatever engine is easiest and cheapest and go from there.
Tommy
Yeah as far as the MPH's goes, 80+ is just a future goal after I get use to it! I think if I get the boat next month I could have it in the water running by the end of August! May not be the best looking or the fastest on the water but its better than the one the guy on the shoreline whishes he had! lol

jet guy
06-26-2007, 08:42 PM
Had a buddy at Robins a few years ago I was in 6 years . I think you got it right I think I got the best boat on the lake but Im the only one that thinks so but screw it. Dont worry about not being the nicest on the lake there is some respect in haveing a project boat. Good luck and have fun

red Dawg
06-26-2007, 11:41 PM
Had a buddy at Robins a few years ago I was in 6 years . I think you got it right I think I got the best boat on the lake but Im the only one that thinks so but screw it. Dont worry about not being the nicest on the lake there is some respect in haveing a project boat. Good luck and have fun
Ive been stationed here for six years, whats his name there is a good chance that I know him!

DOZZR
06-27-2007, 02:53 AM
In 7 weeks (pretty much full time) I went fron this...............................http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s8/Dozzr/HPIM0288.jpg
To this.............................................. ........................................... http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s8/Dozzr/HPIM0674-1.jpg
I am "Green" to boats as well, and yes I dumped some serious change into it, but I now know what and how and where and why every single bolt, button, and part is. But mainly because of all the help from these guys here on this site. You will get more top notch help here than anywhere else, Although the chit gets pretty deep sometimes, you'll learn to pick and choose and you'll have exactly what you want, and thanks to the pessimists you will even know what red flags to look out for along the way :D . The pride that goes into one of these babies once they hit the water is priceless, and knowing it is your sweat and blood that created it, is awesome. I just didnt feel buying someone elses pride and joy (headache) that everyone has seen around for years would do it for me. Now that I am cruising it around I know "restoring this boat" was the right decision for me even though I know I have put more into it than I will get out of it, soooooo I guess I am in the same boat as the rest of you guys...... lmao!!!!
Just another 2 cents worth, I hope it helps you in your decision.
John