PDA

View Full Version : motor oil

bullhead
03-31-2002, 09:00 AM
Can anyone tell me if it is ok to use synthetic oil in a marine engine?I have a 2000 Volvo w/a 502 415hp. Any help or info would be great thanks

Snowboat
03-31-2002, 11:54 AM
You can use synthetic if the rings are seated, but why would you? Your application sounds like a straight 30 or 40 weight.

bullhead
03-31-2002, 07:21 PM
well the only reason i was asking is because i've heard some shops use 25-40 or 30 wt.i also hear some owners use synthetic so i was just curious thanks

Jetboatguru
04-01-2002, 08:21 PM
15-25 hp synthetic over petroleum oil. It is more $$$$ but woth it. Try the Synthetic blend Mobil 1 it is only 2.79 a quart

77charger
04-01-2002, 09:06 PM
I use regular to break in a motor and still do.I did do the synthtic thing a few years ago costly with a 14qt pan and did notice that the oil pressure was a little higher after har running it was at 35 at idle and 28-30 with reg oil.Was happy with it and will do it soon as my new motor is noew broken in.

Thunderbutt
04-02-2002, 06:40 AM
77charger, you should have more oil pressure then 35 at idle. When they build your new motor make sure they put in a high volumn and pressure oil pump. If the motor is properly set up you can use 50 or 60 wt oil. I would stay with regular oil (Valvoline) Originally posted by 77charger:
I use regular to break in a motor and still do.I did do the synthtic thing a few years ago costly with a 14qt pan and did notice that the oil pressure was a little higher after har running it was at 35 at idle and 28-30 with reg oil.Was happy with it and will do it soon as my new motor is noew broken in.

Snafu
04-02-2002, 08:06 AM
Hey Jetboat that HP boast was that on a Dyno??

Jetboatguru
04-02-2002, 09:07 AM
Snafu, that is on the dyno. Drained the break in and put it on the synthetic.

moomba
04-02-2002, 09:31 AM
Thunderbutt,
When you mean regular Valvoline, do you mean the HPO straight weights or the Racing oil in the gray bottles?
[This message has been edited by moomba (edited April 02, 2002).]

Hydro-Thunder
04-02-2002, 09:39 AM
Hey thunderbutt I have heard that you do not want a high pressure oil pump just high volume? What do you guys think of this? High pressure and volume or just high volume?
Jesse

Thunderbutt
04-03-2002, 03:36 PM
Hydro-thunder, your right, my mastake, high volume. Moomba, I use racing 60. Originally posted by Hydro-Thunder:
Hey thunderbutt I have heard that you do not want a high pressure oil pump just high volume? What do you guys think of this? High pressure and volume or just high volume?
Jesse

Sandbar Mike
04-05-2002, 12:40 PM
I'm probably wrong but
Synthetic lubricates better, so I have allway thought my engine life would last longer due to better lubrication on startups and such.?
Wishful thinking SYNTHETIC IS BETTER

Thunderbutt
04-05-2002, 02:26 PM
Mike, ask the high RPM motor guy's what they use? (Nascar, Dragboats,Dragcars) I don't think too many use Synthetic oil. Originally posted by Sandbar Mike:
I'm probably wrong but
Synthetic lubricates better, so I have allway thought my engine life would last longer due to better lubrication on startups and such.?
Wishful thinking SYNTHETIC IS BETTER

HammerDown
04-05-2002, 06:03 PM
If I may, I don't use syn. 40wt Kendall for me... however some of the racers I know that spin 8400 rpm do use Mobil-1 5W/30...yeks...seems to thin for me! But hey its only for a couple seconds.
[This message has been edited by HammerDown (edited April 05, 2002).]

gnarley
04-08-2002, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by Thunderbutt:
Mike, ask the high RPM motor guy's what they use? (Nascar, Dragboats,Dragcars) I don't think too many use Synthetic oil.
As member on Winston west/cup team we only ran standard non synthetic's usually provided by the manufacture as part of their sponsorship in the 20/50 racing range. The engines are way different than most any in the boats, as they handle around 4 gallons in the drysump tank and run 3 to 5 stage external drysump pumps with a BIG external cooler to keep the temp down. If there were a problem, the cooler wouldn't matter anyway as the engine was toast.
Synthetic in a boat might be good with limited cooling and wet sump capacity as long as the seals are not affected by it as it will stand up to the thermal breakdown better than conventional oil’s.
The bottom line, use good oil, and check with the builder or engine manufacture for your particular needs. And if you don’t have an oil cooler maybe you should get one.
[This message has been edited by gnarley (edited April 08, 2002).]

SPECTRABRENT
04-08-2002, 08:27 PM
I don't think it matters much between regular or synthetic oil, if you run good clean oil (Kendall 50 wt.) & good filter (HP 6). I run a Dan Olsen oil cooler & big oil pan, 14 quarts. Also, I change my oil & filter before every Parker or Havasu trip (twice a month)in the summer. I think its cheap insurance.
Brent

Sandbar Mike
04-09-2002, 11:50 AM
GNARLEY,
Thanks for the thread
You've got a badass job, What team do you work for?
Mike

gnarley
04-09-2002, 12:14 PM
Sandbar,I don't work for them anymore! I left 10 years ago, and the team (Diamond Ridge Motorsports) has since merged with Joe Gibbs Racing from what I heard. It was a lot of fun even though the pay was low and the hours never ending. It just gets to the point that racing is all you do, and thats it. You've got to be real dedicated, cause you don't have much time for boatin or fishin or all those other things you like to do. Thats the main reason I'm out of it. But I did learn a hole lot and still have a few friends in it.